WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

U-Boat Watches

How many watch companies invite you to join a special Owner's club? Huh? That's a level of class you don't see in other submarine-styled watches. Maybe it's time to make the switch. Huh? Huh?
U-Boat official site

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

What's your favorite style here?

I'm just hanging out, really.

skucera

quality posts: 2 Private Messages skucera

Amazing! Watches designed to not poke you with the stem when worn on the left hand!

scottybox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scottybox

Are these authentic? Do they come with serial number cards?

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 91 Private Messages radi0j0hn
scottybox wrote:Are these authentic? Do they come with serial number cards?

Authentic what? These are basically costume jewelry.

http://www.mattbaily.ca/blog/2010/07/09/story-u-boat-watches-matt-baily-baselworld-2010/

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

jonryan18

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jonryan18

I like the watches.A friend has one (he paid significantly more). The only problem I have is the name "U-Boat". It just brings up a negative image in my mind. For an Italian watch you would think they could have come up with a far better name. If they ever re-brand the watch under a different (better) name I'm in.

scottybox

radi0j0hn wrote:Authentic what? These are basically costume jewelry.

http://www.mattbaily.ca/blog/2010/07/09/story-u-boat-watches-matt-baily-baselworld-2010/

Are these manufactured by U-Boat and do they come with SN cards? I realize these are their older quartz models, but as your link suggests, they are still collectible. Even these older models are still going for $900+.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n%3A377110011%2Cn%3A%21378516011%2Cn%3A2900952011%2Ck%3Au-boat&keywords=u-boat&ie=UTF8&qid=1357316030

mjkane1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mjkane1

So you want me to buy a watch named after a German submersible warship that tried to kill my grandfather in WWII?

Crazy world....

...Did I just buy that?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
mjkane1 wrote:So you want me to buy a watch named after a German submersible warship that tried to kill my grandfather in WWII?

Crazy world....

Well we do have other stuff for sale, too.

I'm just hanging out, really.

newfiepage

quality posts: 42 Private Messages newfiepage

Staff

scottybox wrote:Are these authentic? Do they come with serial number cards?

Yes, they are authentic. The serial #'s on the quartz U-Boats come on the case. The serial #'s on the automatic U-Boats come on a card.

scottybox

newfiepage wrote:Yes, they are authentic. The serial #'s on the quartz U-Boats come on the case. The serial #'s on the automatic U-Boats come on a card.

Thanks!

ophmarketing

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ophmarketing

The 52mm dial really comes in handy on those occasions when you find yourself in a buffet line and in need of an extra plate.

twillford27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twillford27

Seems to me these are made for lefty's... I don't think I could wear a watch with the winder on the wrong side....

scottybox

Ebola21 wrote:(long post)

I think these are just old models that never sold. I've found several articles indicating that the first watches that U-Boat manufactured were mostly equipped with Japanese, Miyota quartz movements.

Ebola21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ebola21
scottybox wrote:I think these are just old models that never sold. I've found several articles indicating that the first watches that U-Boat manufactured were mostly equipped with Japanese, Miyota quartz movements.

Im seeing some things posted online (without pictures though) that these could be their very early models from around 2004.

scottybox

Ebola21 wrote:Im seeing some things posted online (without pictures though) that these could be their very early models from around 2004.

Please let us know what you find out. It seems Woot has already taken down your initial message.

Woot, please let us know if you can tell us anything more about these. Thanks.

Ebola21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ebola21
scottybox wrote:Please let us know what you find out. It seems Woot has already taken down your initial message.

Woot, please let us know if you can tell us anything more about these. Thanks.

I took it down since it may not be accurate.

These are apparently very early model U-Boats (2004/2005) before they switched to Swiss movements. http://www.timekeeperforum.com/topic/24664-u-boat-ifo-362-help-needed.html#post327241

The information is very limited. Ive been following U-Boat watches for at least 5 years and havent seen any of the models Woot is currently selling.

amosdudley

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amosdudley

This. The name is pretty off-putting, like asking me to buy a watch called the Panzerkampfwagen.

mjkane1 wrote:So you want me to buy a watch named after a German submersible warship that tried to kill my grandfather in WWII?

Crazy world....

scottybox

Ebola21 wrote:I took it down since it may not be accurate.

These are apparently very early model U-Boats (2004/2005) before they switched to Swiss movements. http://www.timekeeperforum.com/topic/24664-u-boat-ifo-362-help-needed.html#post327241

The information is very limited. Ive been following U-Boat watches for at least 5 years and havent seen any of the models Woot is currently selling.

Interesting. Thanks for the link. While certainly not fine timepieces, I think they're still attractive.

newfiepage

quality posts: 42 Private Messages newfiepage

Staff

Ebola21 wrote:I took it down since it may not be accurate.

You are correct, these are older models. The ones that U-Boat makes now are automatic and a great deal more. These are the quartz models that were discontinued - that's why you won't find them on their site. You will, however, find them on other sites selling for much more than we are selling them here. Once they are gone, they are gone. It allows some to get into a U-Boat at a reduced retail, or allows others to collect older models that aren't around anymore.

Thanks for being a watch hound and checking the sale out!

chadpyle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chadpyle

Crazy world....

A U-boat tried to kill your grandfather?! I would've expected the first sentient submarine to be busy trying to hump a blue whale.

xercess

quality posts: 3 Private Messages xercess
ophmarketing wrote:The 52mm dial really comes in handy on those occasions when you find yourself in a buffet line and in need of an extra plate.

That as big as my camera lens! I wonder if I could put a polarizer on it.

Also: das boot das boot

srlehmkuhl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srlehmkuhl

I purchased one and then tried to add a second, but it said my payment couldn't process. Is this normal?

vladistov

quality posts: 50 Private Messages vladistov

Never pay $49.95 for a U-Boat; never pay $499.95 for an Invicta.

scottybox

vladistov wrote:Never pay $49.95 for a U-Boat; never pay $499.95 for an Invicta.

I don't get it.

jrhii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrhii
skucera wrote:Amazing! Watches designed to not poke you with the stem when worn on the left hand!

...but i'm left handed

mattupp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mattupp

Wait, what's diff between the 295 model and the 300 (beside 5, duh... and 100 smackers)? Even the pics look the same?

Ubie

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Ubie
mattupp wrote:Wait, what's diff between the 295 model and the 300 (beside 5, duh... and 100 smackers)? Even the pics look the same?

48mm vs 52mm respectively. Otherwise, no idea.

mattupp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mattupp
Ubie wrote:48mm vs 52mm respectively. Otherwise, no idea.

Cool, thanks! I had a friend that geeked out over these 5-6 years ago
and went further into debt just to have the cheapest model...

Ubie

My goodness these watches are absolutely huge. I grant that I have small wrists, but i'm most comfortable with about a 38mm watch, most of my analog watches are this size. I do have one that's a 44mm and it looks like a dinner plate on my wrist, how anyone can wear something that's a 52mm is beyond me.

StanleyS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS
newfiepage wrote:Once they are gone, they are gone.

I'm anxiously waiting for the day when you will say the same about Roombas and Dysons.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

A u-boat that could only go down to 50m? No wonder they were all detected.

sdfreedive

quality posts: 21 Private Messages sdfreedive

Can some check out watch 1022 description and pics?

The blurb says, "This U-Boat Chrono Limited Silver Dial Black Band Men's Watch 1022 offers a luxury watch style."

But the rest of the description and pics show a black dial.

I'd love for some clarification.

jonlevin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonlevin

Why would Woot sell a watch named after the I wanted you guys to know I'm ignorant's weapon that killed thousands of brave Americans? Disgusting!!

vainpire

quality posts: 7 Private Messages vainpire

"Costume Jewelry" !!! r u serious...I own several U Boat watches along with Rolex,Tag Heuer,Montblanc and many other high end watches...these are solid,well made watches in the "canteen" style...u dont know what u r speaking of calling these "costume jewelry !!!

Shift4g

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Shift4g

For the sake of the less educated, U Boat (U Boot in German) literally stands for undersea boat. A submarine designed with the same overall intent any other was during that time period (only later used on the offensive). A little less righteous indignation, and a little more history goes a long way.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

Ubie

vainpire wrote:"Costume Jewelry" !!! r u serious...I own several U Boat watches along with Rolex,Tag Heuer,Montblanc and many other high end watches...these are solid,well made watches in the "canteen" style...u dont know what u r speaking of calling these "costume jewelry !!!

Eh, it's a quartz movement. Costume Jewelry isn't too far off the mark really.

skrutinizr

quality posts: 8 Private Messages skrutinizr

Makes you wonder if they'd whine if a Rolex Submariner was offered here... because in German... well, you know.

Shift4g wrote:For the sake of the less educated, U Boat (U Boot in German) literally stands for undersea boat. A submarine designed with the same overall intent any other was during that time period (only later used on the offensive). A little less righteous indignation, and a little more history goes a long way.

wickedme91

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wickedme91

Looks beautiful. Too bad I I don't wear watches (and can't afford these just for show).

coolbluelb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages coolbluelb

Personally thrilled... Love U-Boat watches. Wouldn't want a non-automatic as my first, but since it won't be,I like the idea of also having a utilitarian quartz for pennies.