• 3.2% - Walk 92
  • 1.6% - Bus 47
  • 2.1% - Train 61
  • 1.7% - Bike 49
  • 5.5% - Some combination of these 158
  • 10.3% - I work from home 295
  • 10.5% - I’m unemployed 300
2865 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

trendon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trendon

Eighty people are unemployed and visiting a shopping website. Good thing it is a deal site.

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom

virtual worker here! impulse buying ang working at the same time!

cappo

quality posts: 29 Private Messages cappo
trendon wrote:Eighty people are unemployed and visiting a shopping website. Good thing it is a deal site.

It's also the closest vote there is to retired.

cookiebook

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cookiebook

I am happily retired! No more commuting for me. Ahhhh....

buddyboy9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages buddyboy9

Retired electrician here. Winter is when I'm so happy I'm not out working in the cold.

buddyboy9

kmdonovan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmdonovan

I drive an Nissan Leaf that I charge off of solar panels. Want to race?

phishyfish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phishyfish

This poll must be incorrect... President Obama's numbers suggest the unemployment is below 9%.

I'm not a technology expert... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last nite.

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper
cappo wrote:It's also the closest vote there is to retired.

I'm retired, where's the vote
place for us?

DALINDA

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DALINDA

You should have had more choices. Retired or never worked.

Linda Beavers

robertwooddellweaver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robertwooddellweaver
phishyfish wrote:This poll must be incorrect... President Obama's numbers suggest the unemployment is below 9%.

Politics aside (aren't the unemployment numbers from a non-partisan bureau?) this slot is picking up the "not looking for work" (retired?) folk. http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/quickfacts/stat_snapshot/ shows about 40 million people 65 or older getting SSA, so that is around 7%. The 'looking for work but can't find it' crowd is running around 8% so that should be 15%; I suspect that this web site would skew much more toward the retired than the jobhunting folk.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

Used to walk, now retired.

williamjacobs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages williamjacobs
phishyfish wrote:This poll must be incorrect... President Obama's numbers suggest the unemployment is below 9%.

Unemployment is at 7.8%.
This poll suggests, unscientifically that Woot buyers are less employable than the average American.

Anecdotally, this is consistent with observation; thus Woot's disdain for their patrons (which I love so much.)

Prayer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Prayer

Or maybe, us unemployed are less likely to have a boss that discoruages wooting during the job. I got 24 hours to woot, cept for being a foster dad to autistic son, 10 rental homes in fla, investments, so little time to search for a job. Even less to woot!

moose123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moose123

Retired, actually. No more unconscious drivers to contend with every day.

Swayde

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Swayde

Housewife. I put unemployed since I do not actually earn a paycheck, but I could see the argument for working from home option too.

Lucky Purchaser of 3 Random Craps...
4/1/2011
9/22/2010
8/20/2010

gregbrendel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gregbrendel

I take the bus, and I love taking it. I'm not sure why the hell so many people choose to fight traffic. FREEDOM I guess. And in my town we have dedicated bus routes that skip clogged traffic jams (somewhat at least).

Side note: I think a lot of the people who ride the bus are also unemployed as may of them get on and off at the stop near the methadone clinic.

“The internet is a great way to get on the net.” -- Bob Dole

simplicity2009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages simplicity2009

What kind of work from home job do you do?

meanjoeira

quality posts: 4 Private Messages meanjoeira

I take the ferry.

candiceb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages candiceb

Three days a week I 1) walk to the bus stop, 2) take the bus across town, and 3) carpool with my co-worker who owns a car. Two days a week I 1) walk to the subway, 2) transfer to a train, 3) ride the train to a station where I get on a bus, 4) ride the bus a couple miles, and 5) walk from the bus stop to work.

That's about 45 minutes on carpool days, an hour on straight public transit days. I live in NYC.

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

I am blessed to work from home testing a dedicated software application. I don't know what I'll do when they tell me I have to go back to an office...I hate that commute.