ctt1953

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ctt1953

Be careful how you use these! I work for an electric cooperative and when people buy these and follow the advice of turning them on and leaving them on, they get socked with HUGE electric bills.

To get the best savings, turn back the main heat source to about 54 - 58 and then supplement with these guys. Only have them on when someone is in the room with them. Otherwise, leave them off.

iubito

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iubito
RWallmow wrote:Not even close to worth the money, ANY electric heater will be 100% efficient, 1500 watts of heat is 1500 watts of heat, no matter what kind of element is used (short of heat pumps, those can surpass 100%, but they are also NOT very portable).

You can buy 5 basic 1500 watt space heaters at a certain "orange" home improvement store for the price of this one.

Also 1500 watt moniker is somewhat misleading, these cannot legally put out 1500 watts on 120 volts, they can only achieve 1500 watts on 125 volts. At 120 volts you are only getting 1440 watts, but ALL heater companies lie about this, cannot fault EdenPURE more than any other company. Max allowed continuous load on a 120 volt 15amp circuit is 12amps (12*120=1440).

Cheers!!!! This is so true. You can find 1500 watt space heaters on sale for $10 at Wal-Mart.

patwhatley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patwhatley

Instead of buying the heater you should go to the bank and 99 $1 bills. Take them home, pile them up, and build yourself a nice little fire. I bought one of these to help with keeping my office warm. It's currently sitting TEN INCHES from my legs, running on high....I can barely feel any heat. You can hold your hand right in front of the grate in front and not have to remove it for fear of being burned. This thing really amounts to little more than a couple of toaster oven heat elements and a big metal box. Absolutely useless.

WhaThe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WhaThe

I have a few old fleece jackets I wear around the house. I am a big fan of long underwear in the winter too. I also have a nice warm down comforter for bed time. I'll be OK without this.

llamallamaduck

quality posts: 3 Private Messages llamallamaduck

I can't speak for the quality of a refurb item; however, I bought one of these new last year and really like it. It heats up my living room fairly quickly. I like that it doesn't get hot to the touch because my cat likes to sit on top of it (after it shuts off). This one looks like it might be a newer model than the one I have. On mine, all the buttons are on the back.

My mom also has one of these. Her house is heated by natural gas from a tank. She has had significant savings by leaving the house thermostat at 68, and just heating whichever room she is hanging out in with the Eden Pure.

TL;DR - I have a different model and it works great, but I it bought new so can't speak to refurb quality.

haegerrulz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages haegerrulz
honeybadger12 wrote:Claiming an item contains "cured copper" (as the manufacturer states) is like marketing a house and listing "cured paint" as one of its features.

Perhaps they meant "curated" copper and were trying to appeal to the hipster doofuses.

Yzzim

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Yzzim
iubito wrote:Cheers!!!! This is so true. You can find 1500 watt space heaters on sale for $10 at Wal-Mart.

Do any of you people running your trap actually own one of these?

I own two of the knock-off Eden Pure heaters and they work exceptionally well. I don't buy the infrared or any of the gimmicks. The way these heaters work, they move a substantial amount of air over the heating elements allowing a large amount of air to be warmed. A small ceramic heater will try to move a small amount of air over a tiny heating element. The result is very hot air about 2-3 feet away from the heater, and a very chilly room everywhere else.

I own a couple ceramic heaters and an oil filled electric radiator. None of them work as well as these types of heaters. I have a 20x24 family room and the cermaic or oil filled radiator heaters will not heat the room. This heater will provide very comfortable temps throughout the entire room in just a matter of minutes. I also have one in my son's room as supplemental heat throughout the night. I can turn the thermostat down on the furnace to a point that is comfortable to my wife and I, while my son's room is 70 degrees while he sleeps. Works great!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
kschoenberg wrote:Is Woot down to about six total things it sells nowadays?

Nah, that doesn't even cover the number of sites we have.

My question to stay on topic is how safe is this around pets?

quick edit: llamallamaduck you mentioned your cat, aren't you worried about fur getting in the device?

I'm just hanging out, really.

georgefry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages georgefry

I guess this heater must have a built-in fan but it isn't listed in the "specs" or "features" tabs. That seems like a pretty important omission.

troller11

quality posts: 7 Private Messages troller11

I had one of these. But I needed the outlet and just unplugged it while it was running. THAT caused it to shut down without cooling the bulb first, and it fried it. ALWAYS switch it off and let it go through it's cooling phase before unplugging.

kerrym3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kerrym3

I don't know about this particular heater but one thing you need to know about bad and good reviews is what the reviewer's outdoor temperature was. Heating even a small room when the temp is 10 degrees out is not as easy as heating a room when the temp is over 35 degrees

RWallmow

quality posts: 3 Private Messages RWallmow
TCayer wrote:You sound like you know electrical, but I disagree with your claim about efficiency- 15 100 watt light bulbs use 1500 watts, but don't give off near as much heat. It's the same with a red-light element, or oil-filled heater versus infra-red forced air- energy is lost via other means than heat. I've tried ceramic, oil-filled, radiant, and NONE heat the same area as efficiently as this type (not this particular one, though.) THIS type of heater does not get super hot at the source, yet spreads warmth over the entire room. The others mentioned above get uncomfortably warm close to the heaters, and don't heat the rest of the room evenly.

Not true, 15 100watt bulbs would produce same heat as 1 1500 watt heater, however you don't have the fan to spread the heat evenly.

Now these might spread the heat more evenly in a room than a cheap $20 heater, no experience with that, but they cannot produce MORE heat, laws of physics still apply, 1500 watts of heat is 1500 watts of heat.

infocollapse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages infocollapse

"I am the living dead, I heat in infrared"

rdjone01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rdjone01

This is not the same model currently sold by Costco. This one is A4137 at 2300 BTU / 900 watts and theirs is A5093 at 5000 BTU / 1500 watts, but then the Costco model is $250.

ebender1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ebender1

I would save my money and buy a heater that doesn't come with high priced advertising. (unless advertising can make you feel comfortable; because any 900 watt forced air heater will do as well, IMO)

spare us the marketing hype about "spreading the heat..."

These units are to heaters as BOSE is to radio.

StanleyS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS
RWallmow wrote:Not true, 15 100watt bulbs would produce same heat as 1 1500 watt heater, however you don't have the fan to spread the heat evenly.

You forgot about the *visible light* all those bulbs are emitting. They are using 1500wts, mostly to produce light; this heater is using 1500wts to produce mostly heat.

mowder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mowder

Infomercials! The reason they are run so late at night is because that is when the weak and the woozy can be snagged.

My husband bought one of these last year; I didn't know until it arrived at our door. It cost $399! That was about the same cost as an oil fill. But he assured me that it would save us money.

The "quartz technology" looked like a heat lamp, surrounded by a shiny aluminum cone, with a big blower underneath it. But it worked like gangbusters for the first month. I was happy until I got our first electric bill - doubled! Then, about 40 days out, it stopped heating *altogether.* I didn't need a fan that would blow cold air on me in January. "It has a money-back guarantee," my husband told me.

Oh yeah? They refused to take it back after 30 from the point of sale. I did some research and found that this is a very common problem with these machines. I had hi argue with them; all they did was send us another, after he paid #0 to ship the original back to them - and it *had* to be in all its original packing.

I cancelled the rest of our authorized payments, and we put the replacement in the attic, where it has stayed all winter. I am sure that it is simply one that it is a "refurb," which only needed another heat lamp bulb. If these things were as good as they claimed, why do you think Woot! would be selling them at 75% off last year's prices? Caveat Emptor!

bossdjfargo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bossdjfargo

I was just at my friends' house this weekend to watch the NDSU Bison win their 2nd national title in a row. My friends had this little heater running in their basement while we watched the game and it tripped the breaker TWICE in about an hour, thus resetting the TV and cable box during intense parts of the game. The only other thing that was running was the TV and they said it had never happened before.

skev

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skev
You forgot about the *visible light* all those bulbs are emitting. They are using 1500wts, mostly to produce light; this heater is using 1500wts to produce mostly heat.

No, it's all heat. Incandescent light bulbs just make some heat that you can see.

StanleyS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS
skev wrote:No, it's all heat. Incandescent light bulbs just make some heat that you can see.

It is not *all* heat. From the wikipedia article on "Incandescent light bulb": "most incandescent bulbs convert less than 5% of the energy they use into visible light (with the remaining energy being converted into heat)." I admit I'm surprised by that low percentage.

"Some heat that you can see"? Is that a superpower I haven't heard about?

skev

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skev
StanleyS wrote:It is not *all* heat. From the wikipedia article on "Incandescent light bulb": "most incandescent bulbs convert less than 5% of the energy they use into visible light (with the remaining energy being converted into heat)." I admit I'm surprised by that low percentage.

"Some heat that you can see"? Is that a superpower I haven't heard about?

Light, when absorbed, produces heat. The heat doesn't disappear - it's kind of a law.

jtweetyone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jtweetyone

they put out a LOT of heat! My dad has one that they use to heat pretty much the whole house

nmill005

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nmill005
skev wrote:Light, when absorbed, produces heat. The heat doesn't disappear - it's kind of a law.

This made me lol.

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl

How much heat will this put out if I burned it in my fireplace?

whitcwa

quality posts: 12 Private Messages whitcwa
TCayer wrote:You sound like you know electrical, but I disagree with your claim about efficiency- 15 100 watt light bulbs use 1500 watts, but don't give off near as much heat. It's the same with a red-light element, or oil-filled heater versus infra-red forced air- energy is lost via other means than heat. I've tried ceramic, oil-filled, radiant, and NONE heat the same area as efficiently as this type (not this particular one, though.) THIS type of heater does not get super hot at the source, yet spreads warmth over the entire room. The others mentioned above get uncomfortably warm close to the heaters, and don't heat the rest of the room evenly.

Except for the tiny amount of light which may leak out your windows, you are wrong! RWallmow is correct.

KingAdrock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KingAdrock

I love how they call them "infrared" heaters. It's a heater that heats with... heat.

Ooh. Aah.

dkf295

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dkf295
Bowhunters wrote:Consumer Reports says that Edenpure's statement that it will save money is long on talk but short on facts.

Natural gas costs about 1/2 of what electricity will cost to heat the same room to the same temperature.

Only if you heat with something else like oil will electricity possibly be cheaper in that situation.

Of course. Then again, what do you suggest people get, a natural gas space heater? Yum yum carbon monoxide.

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

It is extremely frustrating and unhelpful (and maybe a statement about the company) that it is difficult if not impossible to find any details about this specific model anywhere. A look at the company website lists no such model number and all the reviews and comments posted here have been pointed out by the MOD to be about models that may be different (e.g., the Costco model, the Amazon review model). It would be nice/helpful/appropriate for Woot to find out which model this is (instead of just the model number) so we can compare apples to apples. This is all the more important for a refurbished item!

rpstrong

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rpstrong
ebender1 wrote:These units are to heaters as BOSE is to radio.

Ha! Well said.

johmrmitcham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johmrmitcham

I live in Iowa. My daughter lives next door. About the same size house. Both of us have 500 gal tanks for propane. I bought one of thes 3 years ago. My daughter has had her tank filled 4 times to my 2. Her's needs filling again and mine does not.

When I first bought the Eden Pure: I set the thermostat on 68 and timed how long it took once the heat (propane)turned off and when it kicked back on. About 20 degrees outside. 8 minutes. I turned on the Eden Pure and did the same thing. 3 hours! We estimated saving $300 the first year after including the increased electrical bill. I know works and so does my daughter. It works and it works well.

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl

Endorsed by the late Paul Harvey. Paul would never steer you wrong.

jabberwok

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jabberwok
ebender1 wrote:I would save my money and buy a heater that doesn't come with high priced advertising. (unless advertising can make you feel comfortable; because any 900 watt forced air heater will do as well, IMO)

spare us the marketing hype about "spreading the heat..."

These units are to heaters as BOSE is to radio.

The infidel has sullied the holy name of BOSE! We will have him confined in a small enclousure created by Amish cabinet makers, and force him to listen to Enya through cheap speakers by Pioneer! What? You won't hear any difference? Never mind....

417sanders

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 417sanders
bmrbill wrote:They need these in California?

They get FEET of snow 20 minutes outside San Diego, so I would say yes

evilmeowser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evilmeowser
angerbender wrote:They really need these in California. In Southern California, many homes do not have heating systems installed when they are built. So when it gets chilly at night, you gotta have something.

- that's because you do not need a heater in Socal. I know, I live in LA.
We might get a few chilly nights..

- Try warm pajamas? ..I bought mine at Target for 14.99.

- Find a mate? Mine comes in handy sometimes (besides the obvious).

Do you really need to be guzzling 900W of power while you are sleeping?

Either you are stupid for complaining of cold weather in Socal. Or I am stupid for not noting the sarcasm..

rnewing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rnewing
davemeigs5 wrote:It seems the 1500 watt Vornado for $40 was a better buy.

Or the $89 one I bought from Wal*Mart that basically looks just like it, but with 1500 watts, plus a digital display and remote control. It also timed start, etc. One of the few "not so good" deals I've seen on Woot.

CTMechE

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CTMechE

PLEASE PLEASE, people, do not spend $100 on an electric space heater.

The only way this "saves" you money is by the wonders of zone heating - i.e. heating only one room at a time and turning down your central heat. And it only then saves if your electricity is cheap. (In CT, it is not...) THE ONLY POTENTIAL SAVINGS IS IN HOW YOU USE IT.

It's like me selling you a winter coat and saying it saves on your heating bills.

What you want to ignore is the sales pitch - as many have pointed out, *ANY* 1500W electric heater produces the same heat at the same efficiency, it doesn't matter if it's quartz, ceramic, or whatever.

I can see paying a little more for a heater with a quiet fan, or adjustable thermostat, or remote control or timer, but that's worth about $40-$50 tops.

rpstrong

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rpstrong
evilmeowser wrote:- that's because you do not need a heater in Socal. I know, I live in LA.
We might get a few chilly nights..

[snip]

Either you are stupid for complaining of cold weather in Socal. Or I am stupid for not noting the sarcasm..

Believe it or not, the boundaries of SoCal stretch beyond L.A. (where I used to live). I'm in Idyllwild now, 5200 feet up in the San Jacinto mountains, just an hour from Riverside or Temecula or Palm Springs. And I'm burning wood to keep warm, with snow on the ground right now.

Welcome to southern California, where you can surf in the morning and ski in the afternoon...

cdogg777

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cdogg777

On a more serious note that will likely get overlooked. What has happened to my dearest woot? You used to sell one GOOD product at an insanely cheap price. Now you sell a bunch of products "on sale". It's basically where amazon goes to dump the extra stuff they have in storage. It's sad and I rarely see anything worth the money, or even cheaper than another store.

Sad thing is I love amazon. But, you...amazon...have RUINED woot. You have forgotten your roots, and what made the site so popular. Sooner rather than later the site will fall into obscurity.

snjfinances

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snjfinances

You might be saving a ton off the sticker price, but that's all you're saving, I'm afraid...

http://www.amazon.com/EdenPURE-1000-Infrared-Heater-GEN3/product-reviews/B001O4833W/

rgfitz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rgfitz

I have a small Holmes electric heater in a plastic enclosure with a fan that cost $7.95 at Lowes, if I remember right, about ten years ago. I just plugged it into a KILL A WATT Model P4400 Volt/Amp/Watt/Hz/KWH meter. My voltage is 115v. On the low setting it indicates 927W and 1152W on high.

I really don't think anyone needs to pay much for an electric heater unless it makes them feel better to have an expensive one.