WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Weather Channel Gizmos

Science. Thanks to fictional visionaries like Reed Richards, Lex Luthor, and Doc Savage, it can control anything from cosmic rays to mentally deficient clones of a certain Kryptonian pest. And thanks to real visionaries at the Weather Channel, it can help us understand the weather. Less impressive? Maybe. More practical? I guess that depends on how often you need to go to Latveria.

rvfiver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rvfiver

I have had the 26 dollar one for a couple of years now and it is one of the besr gadgets we ever bought. It has an outside remote unit for outside temp and humidity which has been flawless for us. The inside unit goes well with the piano black finish on the large screen tv stand.

One of the most useful things it has is the atomic clock. We now have the right time at a glance for setting clocks on battery changes and power outages that is portable because it is battery powered. I have yet to have to replace the batteries.

Good non gimmicky useful well made reliable product. And cheap here!

mendelb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mendelb

I bought this a few years back and love it. I did have some some problems with the transistor at first but customer service was fantastic and they sent me another one. It's been three years and it keeps reading the outdoor temps well.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

I think my husband needs the one that shows how to dress according to the weather. He thinks it's OK to wear shorts until it drops below 40

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

La Crosse is generally dubious in quality - particularly wireless reliability. We picked up an Acu-Rite 01098 which is similar to the wireless professional weather station here for under $30 at Costco - similar price on Amazon. Mind you, none of these things are worth a damn for "forecasting" based on changes in barometric pressure. If you want a forecast, pull out your smart phone.

orchidluvr

quality posts: 7 Private Messages orchidluvr

The $26 one says it can handle up to 3 sensors. That would be a great feature, but after a brief search, I can't find any extra sensors for sale. Ideas? Other than buying two @ $26...

davidz121

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidz121
orchidluvr wrote:The $26 one says it can handle up to 3 sensors. That would be a great feature, but after a brief search, I can't find any extra sensors for sale. Ideas? Other than buying two @ $26...

A quick search at Amazon turned up this: http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Technology-TX29UDTH-IT-Temperature/dp/B0016ZWS5I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1357582372&sr=8-4&keywords=la+crosse+transmitter

xdavex

quality posts: 16 Private Messages xdavex

I got the professional station last time around. My barometric pressure doesn't read, everything else is fine. After going into detail about the problem with customer service, and any trouble shooting they list on their site, I get the standard reply of how to set it up and please send a detailed report if there is a problem. I'm going to send photos next time. Fingers crossed.

mike11212

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mike11212
orchidluvr wrote:The $26 one says it can handle up to 3 sensors. That would be a great feature, but after a brief search, I can't find any extra sensors for sale. Ideas? Other than buying two @ $26...

the 3rd sensor is a water bucket, which you can buy on amazon for 18 bucks i bought it but its currently out of stock.

I woot you

mike11212

xdavex wrote:I got the professional station last time around. My barometric pressure doesn't read, everything else is fine. After going into detail about the problem with customer service, and any trouble shooting they list on their site, I get the standard reply of how to set it up and please send a detailed report if there is a problem. I'm going to send photos next time. Fingers crossed.

go through the setup again make sure you chose the right messurement. m

I woot you

xdavex

quality posts: 16 Private Messages xdavex
mike11212 wrote:go through the setup again make sure you chose the right messurement. m

Thanks, but I have gone through set up nearly ten times. New batteries, batteries pulled out for several hours, buttons pushed at least 20 times to delete any memory.
What happens is when batteries are installed, all the segments for the lcd's light up, but revert to dashed lines for baro pressure. When it comes time to set up barometric pressure there are no numbers regardless of any measurement chosen. The dashed lines will flash when it's time to set local pressure. Pushing any button has no effect. All other measurements work fine.

wyreless

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wyreless

I got the $28 Weather Station Professional last offering a few weeks ago. This one must be a "Monday" unit. I have had several LaCrosse Stations over the years and this is just par for the course for them. They have all just "half worked" or they fail on the 366th day of ownership (with a 365 day warranty if you get my drift) Out of the box I have the following issues. The Sensor seems to always report the same Wind Chill Temp as the Outside Temperature. It never wavers, not a 1/10th of a degree. Of course to have Wind Chill you need Wind Readings. I get them but, they are way off. The Wind is blowing outside like a Mini Hurricaine (Trees bending, trash flying, My Ham Radio Antenna Bending) I have my local WeatherBug Station reporting 20-30 Mph Wind Readings, the Weather Station tells me ".4 MPH". Now you have to remember that it takes a while for the Wind Sensor to transmit to the Main Unit. It sends DATA in pretimed bursts. So if a Gust occurs and it is not time to transmit the DATA, you will not get that Gusts Speed, ever. So basically accurate GUST readings are few and far between. A well published complaint of the LaCrosse units.

I have reset the unit up several times, pullling the batteries, letting the units set for several hours, reinstalling batteries in proper order, etc etc.

So I will have to go through the hassle of sending it in I guess.Who wants to spend $7 for Shipping to a return a Brand NEw $28 Weather Station and then wait 30 days for the replacement, which will probably be your original and a note saying "Sorry nothing found". Just a real PIA for a $28 Weather Station that should just work. If you look around, you will see that LaCrosse has a fairly middle of the road reputation. Sure, they are cheap, they are not a $499 David by any means. But how hard is it to get the Temp and Wind Chill as well as some extimated Wind Speeds. Would I recommend to family or friend? No, I am fairly tired of LaCrosse.

So I spent $28 (Plus $5 S&H, let us not forget the 'Ol Fiver!) for a unit that basically can only do two things. It gives me the Inside and Outside Temperatures. If thats all I wanted I could have just bought one of the Cheaper Temperature Only Units.

Folks, do your research on these, and be ready for dissapointment. And if you do get a 100% working one, CONGRATULATIONS. Now run out and get a PowerBall Ticket because you are obviously one lucky person!

Thats my two cents.

"Living For The DEAL!!"

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
wyreless wrote:
So I will have to go through the hassle of sending it in I guess.Who wants to spend $7 for Shipping to a return a Brand NEw $28 Weather Station and then wait 30 days for the replacement, which will probably be your original and a note saying "Sorry nothing found".

I may be speculating, but have you contacted the manufacturer to send it in? They might give you a shipping label if you ask nice (I don't know).

That said, if they hassle you, please feel free to contact support@woot.com for any other options - we do want you to be happy with your purchase and all.

I'm just hanging out, really.

rosweed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rosweed

Here's the set-up video from Lacrosse. http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/1910/index.php#video

mike11212

edit i made a mistake.

It seems to only report wind chill when the wind speed is 4 MPH or higher.

I woot you

drunkenalien

quality posts: 46 Private Messages drunkenalien

I want something like this. Unfortunately I'm too late to buy anything. So do you guys have some recommendations for me. Would like weather forecasts not just current temps. Looks nice. I'm Probably going to place it by the front door so don't want nothing ugly.

sonofabeach

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonofabeach
mike11212 wrote:the 3rd sensor is a water bucket, which you can buy on amazon for 18 bucks i bought it but its currently out of stock.

what if you bought the rain sensor on here for $12? Maybe the rain bucket it comes with could be read by the other unit?

rangerrock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rangerrock
sonofabeach wrote:what if you bought the rain sensor on here for $12? Maybe the rain bucket it comes with could be read by the other unit?

I took a chance and bought the rain bucket along with the $28 weather station. They work together just fine.