thecosmicenergy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thecosmicenergy
00dahc wrote:As usual, tax kills the deal.

Lowes has the Bosch 1/2" chuck 18V Li-Ion drill with two batteries brand new for $24 more.

Woohoo! No tax for me in NC!

The batts on my 12 year old DeWalt (18V NiCd) pooped the bed recently, so great timing!

Kelly Penley

brancwp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brancwp

I have at least 3 different cordless drills. This is the best of the lot. One battery has some problems lasting, the other is good. I think the key is using them regularly.

lroller

quality posts: 15 Private Messages lroller

May be a good deal. However, I purchased a Rockwell drill set a year ago from the "Mothership". Liked it so much just bought another for our vacation home. It charges fast and is amply suitable for just about most tasks around the home. What really sold me was the lifetime battery replacement warranty.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P9WJMA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

socket2me

quality posts: 0 Private Messages socket2me

My New Year's resolution is to buy nothing made in China in 2013. It's not going to be easy to keep but I'll start here by saying "No thanks". Good drill at a nice price but we gotta start looking out for us.

jtown84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtown84

I rarely would use something like this but I've been wanting to have one in case. Would this be good for an investment if i did not plan to use it often?

krugger3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krugger3

I own this drill and can't say enough good about it. My Battery did fail after about a year. But having a service center a few miles from me, I just walked in, and after checking that I registered it, I was given a new battery on the spot. This is a great deal.

cdubbya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdubbya
cebooher3 wrote:I've got this drill and it is the best cordless drill I've ever owned.

I would agree. I've owned them all, from makita to ryobi, and this thing is top of the line. Iowa picked up this and a ridgid impact together for 179.00 about a year ago and thought I got the best deal ever. I'm tempted to buy another one at this price!

ibbleschitz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ibbleschitz
TheBopster wrote:I have several Ridgid corded tools that I like and use on a regular basis (Spindle/Belt Sander, Circular Saw, Trim Router, and a few others), but when it comes to cordless tools I'll stick with Milwaukee. I even have a 12V Milwaukee cordless drill I bought in the early 90's, and it and the batteries still work fine.

Milwaukee and Rigid and Ryobi are all made by TTI of Hong Kong. they make decent stuff, and if you want American made tools, you're pretty much out of luck these days. Dewalt is also Chinese-made, Makita is Japanese at least...

SurplusHP

quality posts: 7 Private Messages SurplusHP

I want a drill that makes me look like Arnold Schwarzenneger on a commando team.

bk26

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bk26

Check to make sure they will warranty battery through there mail in warranty. I bought some Ridgid tools from Home Depot and they would not let me send the batteries in for repair. I ended up having to take it to an authorized repair shop 35 miles away. PITA

sdgardner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sdgardner
PhillyOC wrote:I have used the identical drill for work for the past year and it is a good drill for the price. I paid a little over double this at a giant retailer. On speed 2 it is as fast as you could need and the batteries charge quickly and hold a charge well even after being cycled many times. As hard as I am on this drill I wouldn't mind if it burned out right now, I would still go buy another one.

Even after dropping the drill a few times (including once from an 8' ladder onto a hard floor) my only complaint is the chuck (the black part that hold the drill bit)has gotten a wee bit loose and can wobble slightly when starting a hole on fast speed. Other than that the drill is awesome.

It also has a built-in safety mechanism to keep it from burning itself out. I was using it to drill a 1 1/4" hole through brick (not what it was really designed for) and it began shutting off when it got too hot. After letting it cool down for a minute or two it went back to drilling away just fine.

This may or may nor work, but worth looking at: To tighten the chck, try opening it all teh way up and looking straight down into it, you may see a fastener (a Phillips screw head, or perhaps an allen socket head screw. try tightenong that one. It may clear up the loose chck problem (It may not) YMMV

jwvess00

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jwvess00

I have several tools made by Ridgid, mostly woodworking machines like their 6" jointer and their radial arm saw. I've had the RAS for about a decade now, and the owner's manual is very proud of the "Lifetime Warranty".

The elevation handle (a cast aluminum crank) broke, so I called them about a replacement part. I was told that the lifetime warranty didn't apply since it wasn't a commercial sale (I'm a residential user, bought at a local Home Depot). What The Hay??

I did buy another handle from a reseller as the saw is fantastic, but I'm soured on Ridgid's customer service.

armrdp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages armrdp

I wouldn't recommend drilling and driving either but what I do know is that purchasing this drill is less expensive than buying two new batteries for my old drill.

wootalyzer wrote:Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Ridgid 18 Volt Lithium Ion Drill/Driver
$69.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

maddrunkguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maddrunkguy

Ridgid only has the lifetime warranty if bought through Home Depot..You can't get the lifetime warranty if purchased on Amazon regardless if it's new or refurbished..something to consider

maddrunkguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maddrunkguy

The lifetime warranty is only through HomeDepot..You cannot get it from items purchased through this site or any other site.

gkaparos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gkaparos

Brand new one gets you a lifetime warranty and it costs just a little more. Warranty extends to the batteries as well.

mreynolds179

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mreynolds179

I'm in just for the Rigid lunch bag that comes with it!

gkaparos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gkaparos

These are great Drill got a whole rigid cordless set and would not part with it unless I was being offered the same. Here's the Buyer beware. Brand new Drill gets you a lifetime warranty and it costs just a little more. Warranty extends to the batteries as well. You may consider skipping this deal and investing on a new one for a few bucks more at your local Home Depot. Lowes does not carry Rigid, or didn't, last I looked

craigtx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages craigtx
sdgardner wrote:This may or may nor work, but worth looking at: To tighten the chck, try opening it all teh way up and looking straight down into it, you may see a fastener (a Phillips screw head, or perhaps an allen socket head screw. try tightenong that one. It may clear up the loose chck problem (It may not) YMMV

Also, not sure about this particular drill, but most drills that I have worked on, the screw inside the chuck is left hand thread, meaning you would actually turn the screw counter clockwise to tighten.

georgep6506

quality posts: 1 Private Messages georgep6506

Awesome Deal!!!!! 2 batteries and a charger for $69. Who cares about the drill? It is thrown in for free! The batteries are about $50 each new. The charger is also $50. Making total value for these three items at $150. Buy two and you get the best of all worlds. Working on big projects I have screw driver in one drill and drill bit in the other drill. Much faster than swapping back and forth. Also to have dual charges is worth it's weight in gold. It is a pain to stop work waiting on recharge when you have two guys working. Lastly, I know the Rigid lithiums have a terrible reputation, but that is the old model. The new ones have new safety features that keep them from burning up. I am in for two. (Also, a new drill with the same batteries and charger is $159. So the price difference is almost $100. YMMV!) Thanks Woot!

speed_bump

quality posts: 0 Private Messages speed_bump
TheBopster wrote:I have several Ridgid corded tools that I like and use on a regular basis (Spindle/Belt Sander, Circular Saw, Trim Router, and a few others), but when it comes to cordless tools I'll stick with Milwaukee. I even have a 12V Milwaukee cordless drill I bought in the early 90's, and it and the batteries still work fine.

Ummm, apparently you don't know that Ridgid and Milwaukee cordless tools are both manufactured by the same company now.

vjlobel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vjlobel

Just because I just had to look this up for an existing tool- the Lifetime Service Agreement is ONLY for tools sold by Home Depot. This is NOT eligible for that. One year warranty is what you get.

Yzzim

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Yzzim

Wow, this is a killer deal! I just got this for Christmas from the wife. Pretty sure she spent $200 for the drill/impact driver combo. I only use the impact driver and the drill just sits there doing nothing. This is a great deal!!!!

Just noticed the deal is for the drill and not the impact driver. Still a good deal. You can get the impact driver for around $50 at your favorite (or least favorite) auction site. A complete package for around $130 compared to $200+tax at Home Depot. Only giving up the lifetime warranty. Still a great deal!

steviethev03

quality posts: 15 Private Messages steviethev03

I just purchased this exact same drill (in the drill / impact driver combo, $200 for the set.)

It's fantastic.

It sits well in the hand, is light enough so that it doesn't require tons of strength to use it continually, and the features are pretty nice. The "Hex" grip (basically a pattern of raised hexagons) is a nice comfortable feature that surprisingly provides a good amount of grip, even in sweaty hands, and I like that you can turn the LED light on using your ring finger and a separate button (rather than the light only being on when the drill is operating.) I like the belt hook (despite thinking I wouldn't use it, I find myself hooking it onto my belt/pocket between drilling.)

With about 45 ft-lbs of torque, this drill has plenty of power for the average DIYer, and then some. I don't typically use this tool for driving screws (I use an impact for that), but for drilling holes, it's really nice. Motor control is smooth, the speed / torque settings work appropriately, and it's very consistant. The few screws I drove with it went in nice - they were 2-1/2 wood screws into 2X4s without pilot holes. Seemed to get the job done.

The batteries last a decent amount of time. Well, a really good amount of time, really. They provide a good amount of power. I average about 20 minutes to charge a battery from dead to full. With 2 batteries though, it doesn't matter, you have one charged and ready to go and when the one in the tool is dead, just swap it for the fresh and keep going. I like the 'fuel tank' LEDs on the back of the batteries that give you an indication of how much battery time / power you have left.

RIDGIDs warranties are awesome, though I hear that this won't qualify for them. (I've owned numerous Ridgid tools, and after registering them appropriately, I have utilized the battery warranty a handful of times and just walked into a Home Depot and they gave me a new battery after verifying with a receipt - this was after 2 years after purchase. YMMV as this was my local store.)

Ridgid tools are built to last. I know a lot of other power tool companies claim that, but I have beat on my Ridgid tools and, with the exception of a couple of 12V battery packs, have never had any problem with the tools. And I have really used them. Like, REALLY used them.

Regardless, you're getting a pretty sweet deal considering the batteries are around $50 each in the store, plus you get the drill and a charger.

I'm considering buying a set just for the batteries... but then I have an extra drill that I don't need....

ckaraffa

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ckaraffa
mwchris wrote:I have the lifetime service agreement on all parts. For what it's worth, I've only had problems with the older higher capacity lithium batteries. Two of them have failed....

Don't know when you got yours, but I got a 14V (the 'X' model or something) about 8 years ago. Back then, you could register your product online or via mail--but if you registered online, you didn't get a SLA#. Of course, nowhere on the registration card, the website, or anywhere else was this mentioned. (Now you can get the SLA if you register online).

Several years later (and only about 50 duty cycles), one of the batteries failed. THEN I was told that, even though my product was registered in their system, they would not honor their warranty.

By then I had already bought two additional RIDGID products (both registered online, both with SLA#), but the whole experience has completely turned me off to RIDGID.

Huckpsp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Huckpsp

Perfect timing. I just found that the batteries on my old Rigid Drill/Driver were both shot last night. The cost of new batteries is more than this whole set.

I never get lucky on timing like this.

jimroth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimroth

I have this I bought from HD and it's great. The batteries even fit my old rigid (non-lithium) 18V drill, which I thought I was replacing but just the batteries were shot. I have beat the heck out of these things (to the extent possibly by a non-pro) and they have held up. Once caveat: I took my drill to an "authorized service center" and it was MONTHS before it was fixed. Like six months. That was for a seized chuck that got salt water in it.

bkOAiuXk

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bkOAiuXk

Question for Woot Staff, (or anyone who actually knows the answer rather than guessing).

Are the batteries new, or used ones that have somehow been refurbed?

I'm fine with the drill being refurbed, but the batteries...not so much!

excursion7227

quality posts: 0 Private Messages excursion7227

I have the big set (drills, saws, light) and love it! I bought this just for the two batteries and extra charger!

sva777

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sva777

I had one of these and both batterys went out in the course of a year.

bturnip

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bturnip

A contractor I use practically forced me to try the cordless Ridgid Impact driver- I liked it so much I went and bought one. I have had that one for over a year- love it. I'm taking a chance on this, even without the Lifetime Service Agreement. I've bought refurb tools before (Bosch, mostly) and been completely pleased with the performance. This deal is worth the risk, considering the 1 year warranty.

vatchman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages vatchman

How long does shipping typically take for something like this to California?

speed_bump

quality posts: 0 Private Messages speed_bump
excursion7227 wrote:I have the big set (drills, saws, light) and love it! I bought this just for the two batteries and extra charger!

Me too. I love my 5-pc X4 combo kit! I was trying to think of an excuse to pick this up.

Just getting the 2 batteries and the charger is a sweet deal, the drill is just a bonus (batteries themselves are $69).

I guess it will be nice when I need something smaller and lighter since the kit came with the larger hammer drill and bigger high-capacity batteries.

zodar99

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zodar99

This is a recommended buy on consumerreports.org at $170. In for one.

kb3636

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kb3636

I've got this drill and I've never used another one better. Even vs. a corded drill.

Framed an add-on room to a house using 3 inch deck screws with one of these.

Battery lasts for hours... charges in 20 minutes. With the extra battery, there is 0 interruption.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

Thanks for all the great comments and research on this Drill. I bought a good Hitachi Drill from Woot last year however its not Lithium and is never ready when I need it... In for one!

jaimelobo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaimelobo
vjlobel wrote:Just because I just had to look this up for an existing tool- the Lifetime Service Agreement is ONLY for tools sold by Home Depot. This is NOT eligible for that. One year warranty is what you get.

How many times is this comment going to be posted? :0)

danfryatt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danfryatt

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet but another awesome part of the Rigid line is that Home Depot honors a lifetime warranty on the tool AND THE BATTERIES!

Never buy another battery, unless your muscles-glasses and need 8 fully charged batteries at all times because you can't stop working for any extended amount of time.

johnymonte

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnymonte

Does this have a warranty? Or is Square Trade available?

milkboy31

quality posts: 1 Private Messages milkboy31

FWIW, here is Rigid's warranty info.
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Power-Tool-Warranty

This is a Reconditioned tool, so it only has a 1 year warranty and is NOT eligible for the LSA (Lifetime Service Agreement) that you can get for free if you buy new from Home Depot (as others have stated).

There has also been discussion on whether or not you could send these batteries in for service on an existing LSA you may have on another tool/battery... the answer is no. When you register the LSA on their website, they make you enter the serial number of the drill AND each battery/charger. They only will then service those serial numbers if you have a claim.

AND a word of caution. If you DO use the LSA and you send in an item that is serialized... and you get a new one back with a new serial, you have to call them and update your records within 90 days or you LOSE the LSA protection on that new item.

It's all on the page I linked above.

Solid, if you jump through the hoops and keep your i's dotted and t's crossed...

Home Depot has it for $159 new currently. Model R86008K is what you search for.

So if you want to buy two of these units with a 1 year warranty, Woot has the hook up. If you want to spend more than that and have lifetime coverage assuming you can keep your records straight, then go to the Depot.