bturnip

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bturnip

Good resolution- I've been trying to stick with made in the USA. This one will be a challenge- what cordless drill is made in the USA?

socket2me wrote:My New Year's resolution is to buy nothing made in China in 2013. It's not going to be easy to keep but I'll start here by saying "No thanks". Good drill at a nice price but we gotta start looking out for us.

szettervall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages szettervall
bstreep wrote:Yes, Ridgid offers a lifetime warranty. HOWEVER: 1) It's only on tools bought from Home Depot 2) You have to register it AND keep track of your registration (who does that?). Then, you have to return ALL items (drill, batteries, charger, etc.) to an authorized service center (they aren't everywhere) and then, somewhere between 4 and 12 weeks later, you'll get your stuff back. I've gone thru 2 batteries, and I now have another dead one. It's just too much of a PITA to deal with Ridgid. Oh, and their phone support is terrible too.

The lifetime warranty registration isn't that bad. Once you are in the system everything is tracked through their online system. Ridgid posts authorized warranty locations online and although the service takes a couple weeks, it is free. I have had to warranty two batteries so far.

soniamonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soniamonkey

So usually Rigid has a life time warranty on their power tools. So why does it say 1 year here?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
soniamonkey wrote:So usually Rigid has a life time warranty on their power tools. So why does it say 1 year here?

We're asking just to be on the safe side, but for now I'd go with milkboy31's info, since he did find this for us:
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Power-Tool-Warranty

I'd give it a good read over, and if it's for you, buy (three)!

I'm just hanging out, really.

gtortuga

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gtortuga

I have one. Great tool and they are guaranteed for LIFE. Owning one raises your macho quotient 23.7%.

gtortuga

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gtortuga

REfurbs have a one year guarantee as opposed to retail purchases. The word "refurb" is branded onto the handle.

wolfedc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wolfedc

Ridgid makes great stuff I have a lot of their tools and they are built for everyday use. I have a drill similar to this the only drawback is that I have had to have both batteries replaced under warranty.

wolfedc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wolfedc
bstreep wrote:Yes, Ridgid offers a lifetime warranty. HOWEVER: 1) It's only on tools bought from Home Depot 2) You have to register it AND keep track of your registration (who does that?). Then, you have to return ALL items (drill, batteries, charger, etc.) to an authorized service center (they aren't everywhere) and then, somewhere between 4 and 12 weeks later, you'll get your stuff back. I've gone thru 2 batteries, and I now have another dead one. It's just too much of a PITA to deal with Ridgid. Oh, and their phone support is terrible too.

I disagree I have registered all of my Ridgid tools online and everything is there when I log in. I have had two batteries die and had them back two weeks after dropping them off at a local service center. I live in Potter county PA ( Sticksville) and there is a local service center here so they can't be too hard to find.

dbsbl1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dbsbl1
whitcwa wrote:Forget the tools. Let's have some Ridgid calendars!

Amen brotha!!

BOOYAH!

rocketdoctor

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rocketdoctor

This is a great deal if your someone that does occasional projects around the house.

If your someone who does alot of work or anticipate a big project/remodel your going to be involve in you must have as part of your toolset an impact drill/driver they are awesome powerful and light It is my goto tool for all jobs.

You can buy this set and go out and buy the impact driver and have 3 batteries and be all powerful

BigMax7

quality posts: 4 Private Messages BigMax7
szettervall wrote:The lifetime warranty registration isn't that bad. Once you are in the system everything is tracked through their online system. Ridgid posts authorized warranty locations online and although the service takes a couple weeks, it is free. I have had to warranty two batteries so far.

Same here. 2 new batteries and fixed a recip saw I burned up. All free in about a week. There was a local tool dealer that is an authorized repair center for Ridgid so no shipping. I use Dewalt every day at work and the Ridgid at home. I wold put the Ridgid tools just below Dewalt in quality and erganomics on comparable tools but with the lifetime warranty on everything, I am very happy with them for a serious do it yourselfer/electrician. Dewalt sells some lower end/not heavy duty drills now which I think has hurt their reputation for being heavy duty. But if you buy the right tool for the job and stick with a good brand, you should be happy. For instance, you aren't going to drill 4" holes in lumber with this all day and be happy with the result and life of the tool, but that is what corded tools are still for.

KivuliNyamaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KivuliNyamaa

I was an electrician for 4 years and used a number of Rigid's cordless tools. They stand up to heavy use and take a beating, cold or hot weather, day in and day out. Even refurbished, this price is a steal for Rigid tools.

nullvalu

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nullvalu
00dahc wrote:As usual, tax kills the deal.

Lowes has the Bosch 1/2" chuck 18V Li-Ion drill with two batteries brand new for $24 more.

LINK!??

Edit: oh i misread i thought you said the total cost was 24.

socket2me

quality posts: 0 Private Messages socket2me

Good resolution- I've been trying to stick with made in the USA. This one will be a challenge- what cordless drill is made in the USA?

socket2me wrote:
My New Year's resolution is to buy nothing made in China in 2013. It's not going to be easy to keep but I'll start here by saying "No thanks". Good drill at a nice price but we gotta start looking out for us.

Some Bosch and suprisingly Makita power tools but probably nothing cordless. If you really need a cordless drill, you unfotunately have no choice. On the other hand, American-made hand tools are still somewhat east to locate.

mandymh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mandymh

Borrowed this same one from my neighbor this weekend because my (old) drill sucks. It was awesome, made easy work out of 1/8" steel plate.

Definitely in for 1.

thaape

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thaape

I bought a set from Home Depot in November for $180. It came with this Drill/Driver as well as an impact gun, 2 batteries, and a charger (As well as a lifetime warranty).

I wont comment on the price, but the tools work great. The charger charges the batteries super fast and it feels really comfortable to hold. There is a switch along the lower part of the grip that activates the LED light and its great. It also activates whenever you use the drill automatically. I think it's a good tool.

internetjunk123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages internetjunk123

I bought the X4 set new from HD. The impact and drill. It was $179 - $50 coupon so $129.

Honestly, the batteries are crap. They will maybe drive about 50 to 60 3" screws before going dead. Personally, I wouldn't buy this set had I not gotten it for $129.

cztom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cztom
Woot Tang Clan wrote:Bought 3. Good deal for the price and I already own 2 sets with the impact drivers. They are my favorite so far. I have the M12, M18, V24 Milwaukee and the 10.8V and 12V Makitas. I use the Rigid the most. Batteries still good after 9 months. They get full charge at under 30 mins so you can go all day long with 2 batteries. You won't be disappointed with this tool.

You simply have to have Li-ion batteries. Learned that the hard way- bought a drill with ni-cads, after a year or so they go bad and replacements cost as much as a new drill. Lithium ions don't go bad with non use and they recharge fast.

TXAG96

quality posts: 5 Private Messages TXAG96

This summer, I hung 3,000 sq feet of sheetrock on a ceiling. I had a nicad cordless, and a guy I was working with had the lithium Rigid drill. I got to borrow it for a few minutes, and it's an incredibly good tool. It's not quite as torquey on start up as my 18V Ryobi drill. The battery lasted all day if I remember correctly. What I didn't expect was the weight balance. The battery is much lighter, so the tool is much better balanced in the hand. If you're working for a long time, this is the drill you want in your hands.

slickriven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slickriven
xzn31 wrote:Good drill. Battery got atrocious reviews http://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-130383001-COMPACT-LITHIUM-BATTERY/product-reviews/B0011FM6FA

[MOD: I believe that's a different battery. I think this is the battery for this drill.]

Like MOD showed I'm 99% certain that these batteries are different. I purchased a 4 tool kit (one-handed saber saw, light, drill and impact drill) with charger and 2 of the linked batteries from xzn31's post. I can attest that those batteries aren't great, my drill after being charged up in 20 mins will barely make it through 2 2x4's with a 3/4 paddle bit that is sharp. I bought this kit 2+ years ago and use all 4 tools often if not frequently. It is annoying when the drill just dies while the trigger is held in. If you release and try again it'll go again for a few seconds.

I'm very likely to give this a shot as at least replacement batteries (I could get one for 'free' as I have the warranty but would be without a drill for a while). At HD a replacement is around $100 for the X4 version. I had been in a Ridgid outlet around a year ago and talked to some sales guys about the Hyper Li-On batteries that were new then and appear to be in this deal. They said they were much better compared to the version I have. So for $75 this could be worth it and would give me another drill and charger (plus batteries to use while my current ones are likely getting replaced).

alexstavisky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alexstavisky

Ridgid makes good stuff.

adrianblack

quality posts: 1 Private Messages adrianblack

Couple things I noticed .. brand new the X4 batteries are $70 each! What The Hay?!

Next, check this out. The drill + 1 X4 battery + charger is only $99 at Home Depot right now and includes the lifetime warranty.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203070344/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=R86008K&storeId=10051#.UOySr29croR

I have talked to a few people who own these drills at the office and they all said they have had to warranty the batteries already. Then I mentioned they had to re-register then new battery serial numbers -- and they were all pissed they hadn't done that.

adrianblack

quality posts: 1 Private Messages adrianblack

And here is a look inside the battery pack. Looks pretty easy to get to the cells actually -- so a repair wouldn't be that hard.

http://dewaltownersgroup.com/index.php/topic,627.msg2208/topicseen.html#msg2208

slickriven

adrianblack wrote:Couple things I noticed .. brand new the X4 batteries are $70 each! What The Hay?!

Next, check this out. The drill + 1 X4 battery + charger is only $99 at Home Depot right now and includes the lifetime warranty.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203070344/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=R86008K&storeId=10051#.UOySr29croR

I have talked to a few people who own these drills at the office and they all said they have had to warranty the batteries already. Then I mentioned they had to re-register then new battery serial numbers -- and they were all pissed they hadn't done that.

Don't know if you got the wrong link but that isn't the X4 battery. I don't think that drill is the same one as this Woot one. This looks more like the Woot unit - http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=203159651&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-product-5-_-203070344-_-203159651-_-N#.UOyUgeTAeSo

Granted looks can be deceiving... but the drill you linked to has a different shaped chuck and no belt clip or extra light.

jonschuck

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonschuck
milkboy31 wrote:FWIW, here is Rigid's warranty info.
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Power-Tool-Warranty

This is a Reconditioned tool, so it only has a 1 year warranty and is NOT eligible for the LSA (Lifetime Service Agreement) that you can get for free if you buy new from Home Depot (as others have stated).

There has also been discussion on whether or not you could send these batteries in for service on an existing LSA you may have on another tool/battery... the answer is no. When you register the LSA on their website, they make you enter the serial number of the drill AND each battery/charger. They only will then service those serial numbers if you have a claim.

AND a word of caution. If you DO use the LSA and you send in an item that is serialized... and you get a new one back with a new serial, you have to call them and update your records within 90 days or you LOSE the LSA protection on that new item.

It's all on the page I linked above.

Solid, if you jump through the hoops and keep your i's dotted and t's crossed...

Home Depot has it for $159 new currently. Model R86008K is what you search for.

So if you want to buy two of these units with a 1 year warranty, Woot has the hook up. If you want to spend more than that and have lifetime coverage assuming you can keep your records straight, then go to the Depot.

*** Excellent Post. This answered my only question. Love RIGID tools, love the LSA. Without the LSA not that interested. ***

SamCal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SamCal

Be careful. Bought one of these a while back direct from HD online as I've always had great luck with refurbs. The drill came used - not refurbished. It still had drywall dust, caked on dirt, and gouges all over it from the previous owner. It has "RECON" burned into the drill body and batteries, so they're not new. I complained to HD and was told that's the risk of buying refurb - sold 'as-is'. I told them there is a difference between 'as-is' and 'refurbished'. HD refused to make an adjustment, refund, or replacement. Local store couldn't help, either.

The drill worked fine but I always felt like I was cheated. Batteries NFG after a couple of years of intermittent use.

FWIW, visit any HD and look in the "Clearance" shelves. You'll see all kinds of beat-up and used power tools. Apparently it's common for people to buy tools, use them for a job, then return them for a refund. This is not 'clearance' merchandise - it is 'used' and should be sold that way.

xercess

quality posts: 3 Private Messages xercess

This looks like something from Halo. Not that it's a bad thing, but don't be surprised if your preteen runs around 'firing' it at the cat.

stewy0327

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stewy0327
SamCal wrote:
FWIW, visit any HD and look in the "Clearance" shelves. You'll see all kinds of beat-up and used power tools. Apparently it's common for people to buy tools, use them for a job, then return them for a refund. This is not 'clearance' merchandise - it is 'used' and should be sold that way.

I have never seen Used/Returned tools on the clearnace shelf at my HD... I am jealous

revenaut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages revenaut
stewy0327 wrote:I have never seen Used/Returned tools on the clearnace shelf at my HD... I am jealous

I work at THD for hardware. You will most likely never see it on a shelf, but ask someone and I guarantee they have them. May or may not be willing to sell at any given point, depends on a few factors I'm not sure I can go into detail of.

Ridgid is a great brand, but one of the strongest selling points on new ones is a lifetime warranty you don't get on refurb. For new purchases you need to mail in the UPC off the box. Also you can get your product serviced at any THD with a tool rental center which is pretty nice.

truthfinder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages truthfinder

I too bought an 18 Volt cordless Rigid from H/D on line and it too was beat, seriously used and dirty. It too was marked with RCON on the drill and batteries. It came with a ONE year warn. and the batteries took a dump after several months. I had to drive like 40 miles to a warn service center to get the batteries exchanged. Needless to say, the batteries are date coded and the replacements were new, but manufactured two years eailier. They took a dump just after I had them for 14 months. THe drill and batteries are now ready for the trash. I on;y used it around the house for little jobs. I would NEVER but Rigid again. Their referbs are NOT refurbs, they are beat up returns.

truthfinder

thecosmicenergy wrote:Woohoo! No tax for me in NC!

The batts on my 12 year old DeWalt (18V NiCd) pooped the bed recently, so great timing!

Kelly Penley

Your lucky if you get a year out of the beat up used batteries you get from the so called Rigid refurb. The unit is clearly USED. $69 bucks for a 18 vold drill with Two batteries is a great buy, IF it were an actual refurb.

truthfinder

soniamonkey wrote:So usually Rigid has a life time warranty on their power tools. So why does it say 1 year here?

BECAUSE IT IS USED, BEAT UP JUNK.

truthfinder

gtortuga wrote:REfurbs have a one year guarantee as opposed to retail purchases. The word "refurb" is branded onto the handle.

And on both Batteries

sdean

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sdean

The new model code is R86008K...and runs $110 -$155

gogododo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gogododo

The batteries are $70 a piece at my local Home Depot, so this is a win/win for me.

Go

nmayer3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nmayer3

Just so everyone knows...refurbs do not qualify for ridgid's lifetime service agreement.

It needs to be a new tool, bought at THD, registered, and under a functioning LSA number.

More importantly, it is your responsibility to provide this information to an authorized service center.

slickriven

Could you fill us in on if these units you're selling are actual refirbs and cleaned up and decent or are simply used like truthfinder complained about his HD purchased unit?

EDIT - my comment was directed at a Woot staff member whom had posted in this thread and that post is now gone... is there any chance a woot staffer could address my question?

troller11

quality posts: 7 Private Messages troller11

There is going to be a LOT of heavy drilling going on in Vermont, according to the sales map. Are you drilling maple trees, or is everyone just fracking (drilling for oil) in the cold weather???

timbollama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timbollama

Drill was delivered today. Inital report: The drill and charger were mint condition, likely never used. The batteries, however, were dinged up externally and showed signs of pretty extensive usage prior to refurb.

robanna7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages robanna7

Got mine today. Drill was in "used" condition at best. Dinged and scratch like it had been drop. Appears to be cosmetic since it works fine so far. I only did a small test. The batteries and charger look to be new and batteries both had a full charge