nealsoad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nealsoad

Mine was delivered today despite trying to cancel the order, but I'm not opening the box. Otherwise I have to pay woot to send it back. There should never EVER be a question as to the condition on a refurb. It should ALWAYS look like new. I expected better quality control from woot, but whatever...

pauls4winns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pauls4winns

Just Received my order - ONLY 1 Battery ! ! ! Specs Tab Stipulated 2. HELP ! !

pauls4winns

timbollama wrote:Drill was delivered today. Inital report: The drill and charger were mint condition, likely never used. The batteries, however, were dinged up externally and showed signs of pretty extensive usage prior to refurb.

>> But you got 2 Batteries ? ? I only got 1 =~(

pauls4winns

robanna7 wrote:Got mine today. Drill was in "used" condition at best. Dinged and scratch like it had been drop. Appears to be cosmetic since it works fine so far. I only did a small test. The batteries and charger look to be new and batteries both had a full charge

At Least you Got 2 Batteries =~( I didn't -

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

pauls4winns wrote:Just Received my order - ONLY 1 Battery ! ! ! Specs Tab Stipulated 2. HELP ! !

Sorry for the late reply.

Please email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they'll be able to help resolve this issue.

nealsoad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nealsoad
ROGETRAY wrote:Sorry for the late reply.

Please email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they'll be able to help resolve this issue.

You'll get a case number, or in my case ANOTHER case number and this...

"Our standard Woot Customer Service hours are 8 AM to 5 PM Central, Monday through Friday. We strive to answer all inquiries within 24 hours if at all possible. You might find the answer to your question in our FAQ http://www.woot.com/faq. Either way, you'll be hearing from us soon."

akamin9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akamin9

I also just received mine and holly crap its beat to hell. Yes it works but the 4 year old drill/driver its replacing looks better then this. I thought these were supposed to be refurbished to like new condition.
I think that the refurbished condition should have been more specific.

Bardleyrichard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bardleyrichard

Received mine today, everything looks good. The batteries barely have any wear on them, same with the charger. The drill itself looks fine, there are a couple little nicks and marks, but nothing I care about.

Everything works perfectly, I'm totally satisfied.

akwain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akwain

Got mine today too. Everything has RECON stamped into it (even the charger). Drill, one battery and charger appear slightly used with some scuff marks and scratches. Though the other battery is pretty beat up with lots of wear marks and faded rubber base. I bought this set as an inexpensive way to get a set of batteries for an older Ridgid X2 18v cordless combo kit and thankfully they fit!

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

Got mine today. The batteries, carrying case and charger look close to new but the drill itself has some good wear and tear on it. As long as it continues to work well I'll be happy enough but like others said they should state the condition of refurbished that is being shipped out, some companies have 'a, b and c' stock to indicate the degree of wear on the items, I'd say mine is a c'.

rockolan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockolan

Just got mine today and everything is like new. I still have my first Rigid refurb bought 9yrs ago and replaced one battery after 8yrs. I use these almost everyday and the battery lasts longer than my Dewalt.

reego

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reego

I live in MI, ordered mine on 1-8-13 Rec'd it today (SA 1-12-13).
The Drill, 2 Batteries, Charger all have RECON stamped on them. Both Batteries came fully charged, EVERYTHING looks Brand New - no dings or wear whatsoever! Came w/Auxillary Handle & Bag as listed. Since it is Winter, I don't expect to do alot of drilling, but so far I am very satisfied. My brother has been using Rigid Drills for several years now & told me that to make the Battery last longer, charge it back up when the Level indicator on the battery is down to 1 LED - also store at room temperature. Sorry that others have received used/worn looking Drills - thankfully mine looks Brand New!

pallenthomas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pallenthomas

Mine arrived earlier this afternoon.

Cosmetically, the case, charger, drill, and both batteries look to be new or "in new" condition.

HOWEVER ... the charger itself seems to have failed less than 30 minutes "out of the refurb box."

The instructions state that the batteries ship in a low charged state and it's recommended to charge them. (nothing new here...)

Plugged in the charger and the power LED did the whole "on / fade" cycle as it should. Placed the first battery on the charger, the "evaluate" LED flashed and the "charge" LED turned on and began flashing.

The charger topped off the battery (already between 75-100%) and went into maintenance mode.

Removed the first battery and inserted the second one. The same cycle started with the same status indications from the appropriate LEDs. (also already between 75-100%)

I walked out of the room for 10 minutes and came back and now the power LED simply does an approximate one Hertz flash.

No slow fade like the first time it was plugged in. Nothing else.

I partially drained one of the packs and placed it back on the charger... same one Hertz flash. No charge LED. No evaluate LED.

I've unplugged the charger and let it sit just in case the on-board logic needed to reset. No joy.

I did notice that when the second battery was on the charger that if I listened close I could hear the charger "ticking." (pulse type charger?) -- Might be normal for this unit... then again, might not.

Obviously, the drill set does me absolutely no good without a functional charger.

I just barely got the thing out of the box and now it looks like it may have to go back in.

This is not a hassle that I was expecting to have to immediately deal with.

Needless to say, at the moment, I'm not particularly thrilled.

ROGETRAY

Staff

pallenthomas wrote:Mine arrived earlier this afternoon.

Cosmetically, the case, charger, drill, and both batteries look to be new or "in new" condition.

HOWEVER ... the charger itself seems to have failed less than 30 minutes "out of the refurb box."

The instructions state that the batteries ship in a low charged state and it's recommended to charge them. (nothing new here...)

Plugged in the charger and the power LED did the whole "on / fade" cycle as it should. Placed the first battery on the charger, the "evaluate" LED flashed and the "charge" LED turned on and began flashing.

The charger topped off the battery (already between 75-100%) and went into maintenance mode.

Removed the first battery and inserted the second one. The same cycle started with the same status indications from the appropriate LEDs. (also already between 75-100%)

I walked out of the room for 10 minutes and came back and now the power LED simply does an approximate one Hertz flash.

No slow fade like the first time it was plugged in. Nothing else.

I partially drained one of the packs and placed it back on the charger... same one Hertz flash. No charge LED. No evaluate LED.

I've unplugged the charger and let it sit just in case the on-board logic needed to reset. No joy.

I did notice that when the second battery was on the charger that if I listened close I could hear the charger "ticking." (pulse type charger?) -- Might be normal for this unit... then again, might not.

Obviously, the drill set does me absolutely no good without a functional charger.

I just barely got the thing out of the box and now it looks like it may have to go back in.

This is not a hassle that I was expecting to have to immediately deal with.

Needless to say, at the moment, I'm not particularly thrilled.

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your order.

I've forwarded on your post to Woot Member Services to see if they can help remedy the situation.
I also advise writing into Woot at support@woot.com and letting them know about your circumstance.

mardrav

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mardrav

Buyer Beware - Next time this deal comes up, think twice before buying. I just received my 2 Rigid 18V Drill sets today. All the woot info said reconditioned. Both my two drills were well used, dirty with drywall dust. One chuck collar has half plastic ridges worn off where you would grip it to tighten the chuck. The carrying bags were dirty with one still having the previous owners name written in big letters with black magic marker on one end. Everything was thrown into the carrying case and shoved into a box and shipped. No cushion or bubble wrap.

I would expect a tool kit to be in this condition if being sold on Ebay after someone stole it off a contractor. There was nothing reconditioned about either of the two Ridgid 18V driver sets that I received from Woot.

pallenthomas

ROGETRAY wrote:Sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your order.

I've forwarded on your post to Woot Member Services to see if they can help remedy the situation.
I also advise writing into Woot at support@woot.com and letting them know about your circumstance.

Rogetray,

I appreciate the prompt reply and you forwarding the post on up the chain.

Eagerly waiting a (hopefully satisfactory) response.

Regards,

PT

pallenthomas

mardrav wrote:Everything was thrown into the carrying case and shoved into a box and shipped. No cushion or bubble wrap.

Mine was the same way. Apparently, it's expected that the carry case itself function as packing material.

No foam, no packing, no bubble wrap, no paper. Just a bag in the box.

PT

ROGETRAY

Staff

pallenthomas wrote:Rogetray,

I appreciate the prompt reply and you forwarding the post on up the chain.

Eagerly waiting a (hopefully satisfactory) response.

Regards,

PT

You're welcome. I've noticed a bit of a trend of issues in here and I've brought it to Woot Member Services attention tonight.

I'll let everyone here know what I find out.

-/2oget/2ay

kwirges

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwirges

Very pleased with mine. All came in like new condition. Although mine were also just in a carrying case (inside a box with no packaging), I would expect a heavy duty tool such as this to ship just fine like that - if not, I'm buying the wrong drill to begin with.

wootntdare

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootntdare
SamCal wrote:Be careful. Bought one of these a while back direct from HD online as I've always had great luck with refurbs. The drill came used - not refurbished. It still had drywall dust, caked on dirt, and gouges all over it from the previous owner. It has "RECON" burned into the drill body and batteries, so they're not new. I complained to HD and was told that's the risk of buying refurb - sold 'as-is'. I told them there is a difference between 'as-is' and 'refurbished'. HD refused to make an adjustment, refund, or replacement. Local store couldn't help, either.

The drill worked fine but I always felt like I was cheated. Batteries NFG after a couple of years of intermittent use.

FWIW, visit any HD and look in the "Clearance" shelves. You'll see all kinds of beat-up and used power tools. Apparently it's common for people to buy tools, use them for a job, then return them for a refund. This is not 'clearance' merchandise - it is 'used' and should be sold that way.

After reading this I was concerned I had made a mistake buying this. I received my drill and assessories over the weekend and my concerns were immediately dispelled. The drill and everything included with it appear to be brand new. The word "RECON" is inconspicuously melted into the plastic housing but, I had to look for it. Functions very smoothly and now, the drywall dust on the drill is from my project ;^)

yousave1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yousave1

Mine is used. Nothing refurbed here. Drill is dirty and smells burned. Batteries are dirty. Disgraceful.

sdonohue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdonohue

REceived mine friday, and same as a lot of others - just thrown in a box with no padding. 1 Battery is completely covered in drywall dust and beat to hell. The other looks so so . Drill looks ok, just had a few minutes to look at it. Haven't tried it yet. Will tonight. Disappointed is an understatement. I have ordered from Woot since 2005. I will not be ordering anything that is claimed to be a refurb again from Woot.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

sdonohue wrote:REceived mine friday, and same as a lot of others - just thrown in a box with no padding. 1 Battery is completely covered in drywall dust and beat to hell. The other looks so so . Drill looks ok, just had a few minutes to look at it. Haven't tried it yet. Will tonight. Disappointed is an understatement. I have ordered from Woot since 2005. I will not be ordering anything that is claimed to be a refurb again from Woot.

I'm very sorry for the trouble. Please email Support@Woot.com with your information so that this can be addressed.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

pallenthomas

ROGETRAY wrote:You're welcome. I've noticed a bit of a trend of issues in here and I've brought it to Woot Member Services attention tonight.

I'll let everyone here know what I find out.

-/2oget/2ay

Any nuggets of wisdom from the powers that be?

I had held off a bit sending my email to support pending further information here, however, I have just fired it off from my end here as well.

Well... not *literally* from my end, but rather my computer at work.

nyuck-nyuck.

Regards,

PT

pallenthomas

kwirges wrote:Very pleased with mine. All came in like new condition. Although mine were also just in a carrying case (inside a box with no packaging), I would expect a heavy duty tool such as this to ship just fine like that - if not, I'm buying the wrong drill to begin with.

I would agree fully from the standpoint that if the drill isn't tough enough to take a respectable beating and keep going it's probably not the one you want long term.

That being said, I try to not beat and scratch my tool too much if I can help it.

If it's going to be subjected to rough handling, then it should be *me* that does it and not someone else, or it happening due to potential rough handling.

Like some of our fellow wooters have pointed out, most refurb / recons that we've bought have to do so to a "new / like new" condition.

If mine had shown up beat to heck and back with dust and dirt all over it, I'd be perturbed too.

Like I said, mine showed up in GREAT shape. It's just that, unfortunately, I'm having to deal with a failure almost before the tail lights of the delivery truck disappeared.

I wish everyone that's having issues along with myself the best of luck in getting things resolved to their satisfaction.

PT

mardrav

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mardrav
kwirges wrote:Very pleased with mine. All came in like new condition. Although mine were also just in a carrying case (inside a box with no packaging), I would expect a heavy duty tool such as this to ship just fine like that - if not, I'm buying the wrong drill to begin with.

It's not the drill, it's the charger and the circuit card inside it. Even more, it's the principle that woot listed this item as refurbished.
Reconditioned/refurbish/remanufacture, call it what you want. But I expect the product to be in like-new condition with the original style packaging unless clearly stated otherwise in the description.

This is what always put Woot above the other typical online sellers pushing a few pallets of junk they acquired from a liquidator. You could count on the Woot product being very similar to what was be listed in the deal.

With these drill sets, it feels like a bait & switch. At least with eBay, when an item is used, most of the time you are seeing what the actual condition is. Plus able to leave feedback which has an impact on the seller's rating. Leaving feedback here after a purchase doesn't do anything but get sympathy comments from other buyers who got taken along with you.

This is making me hesitant to drop serious money on Woot in the future if it's a buyer beware situation.

pryan1970

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pryan1970

Well, just arrived today, opened the box and it looked like it just came out of someones trunk. Granted for a refurb. I wouldn't expect perfect, but the drill still had drywall dust on it.....Way to go woot

solarbeat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages solarbeat

Got mine today - wow, maybe I've been spoiled with other refurb items, but to me, "refurbished" doesn't mean "took off the job site dirty and dumped into a cardboard box."

The bag is dirty and stained, the charger is dirty (and has a gouge out of it!!!), the drill is covered in dust/dirt, and the whole kit smells a bit like a smoker owned it. Come on, they could've at least wiped the items off.

What the heck did they actually do to refurbish it? This isn't refurbished, it's just plain USED (kind of similar to how I feel right now). I wouldn't be surprised if it failed quickly at this rate.

I guess we'll see how it works, but I am VERY dissatisfied with this purchase. Sorry Woot, I'm going to think (more than) twice before buying again.

cawamor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cawamor

Drill was delivered today and all I can say is "Woot!" "Woot!" "Woot!" Drill looks new (no sign of ever being used), with the only give-away being the word "Recon" stamped on it.

As for the batteries, one looks "new" while the other shows signs of wear. Both charged up just fine.

THANKS WOOT!!!

humanfund

quality posts: 0 Private Messages humanfund

My drill came in today and it definitely looks used. It has some scratches on the chuck, and traces of sawdust all over. However, it doesn't look beat-up like some others. The batteries and charger look perfect. The batteries were fully charged, so I was unable to truly test the charger. The bag has some stains on it.

I noticed it comes in a sealed Rigid cardboard box, so I don't think this is indicative of woot's other refurbished items, just that Ridgid just does a crappy job of refurbishing things. My guess is Rigid simply takes them, sees if they spin, stamps RECON on them, then toss it all back in the bag. If they even wiped down my drill, I doubt I could tell it had been used.

I don't think I will be purchasing any more Ridgid refurbs as these are more USED items rather than refurbs, but so far, I guess I am happy with this drill. It is light-years better than my old Black and Decker Firestorm.

abeavers22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abeavers22

I am having pretty much the same experience as other people here - drill came packaged loose in a box from Rigid, with definite signs of being a "used" product. The bag is ok, however like most of the other products, the drill was covered in sawdust and scratched up. I have not had a chance to check out the functionality of the drill yet, but will do that this weekend. I will be thinking long and hard about purchasing anything else that is "reconditioned" from woot again! I am also sending an email to the support team at woot about this issue as well.

alanhwoot

quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Mine came looking like new (other than the REFURB brands) and works fine. Like the others it was shipped loose. The bag was inside a box, with the items unsecured in the bag.

I do think it was wrong to sell these as "refurbished" when a bunch are obviously just used with no refurbishment whatsoever.

It looks like these were drop-shipped from the seller, so it's probable that no one at the Wootplex ever saw them in person. Your buyers need to be more careful about what's involved when an item is "refurbished".

woot916

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woot916

mine looks horrible. I have older drills of mine that look better than this. This is definitely the worst "refurbished" product I have ever bought. Most other refurbs of any kind look basically new.

cmdrredhawk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cmdrredhawk

Finally got mine today 1-16-13, and its missing a battery, the battery I have is covered in mud, the drill is covered in scratches and dents. charger is not much better. This is a $20 drill from a garage sale.

Definitly NOT a reconditioned or refurbished product.

Will be contacting WOOT shortly.

cmdrredhawk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cmdrredhawk

And another thing, the Woot product specs say 25 minute charging, and the product itself says 40 minutes.

Specifications
Volts: 18V
Torque: 535 in. lbs.
No-Load Speeds: 0-450/0-1,650 RPM
Weight: 4.3 lbs.
Charger Volts: 18V Output
Charge Time: 25 Minutes

cmdrredhawk wrote:Finally got mine today 1-16-13, and its missing a battery, the battery I have is covered in mud, the drill is covered in scratches and dents. charger is not much better. This is a $20 drill from a garage sale.

Definitly NOT a reconditioned or refurbished product.

Will be contacting WOOT shortly.

vtskiman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vtskiman

Received mine today and just an FYI - "Reconditioned" obviously does not mean: Cleaning the drill exterior to a point where it is supposed to, as reconditioned is meant to be, "like new." In addition, Bag was dirty and Charger was not cleaned properly.

I am rather surprised at the exterior condition of what I received. Not a super concern at this point as I hope it works as intended - 1 yr warranty is key. I can only hope the "guts of these two items" was cleaned and refurbished by someone who takes pride in their work - otherwise, I expect the warranty will come into play within a year.

pallenthomas

I have TWO case #'s on this.

Case #CAS-139057-R0D1J2
(Two days ago... assuming this is the ticket from Member Services that Staff said would be opened. to which I've heard absolutely nothing.)

Case #CAS-138922-P9T6G0, which I created myself by sending in an e-mail (as recommended by Rogetray).

Support did respond to this one, however, I wasn't completely satisfied with the response and politely asked that it be escalated.

This was also two days ago.

I have asked for status updates to both case #s.

This is borderline unacceptable after two days.

It shouldn't take that long to at least have someone provide an update.

It still may not be the answer I want, but someone update the cases at a minimum.

PT

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
pallenthomas wrote:I have TWO case #'s on this.

Case #CAS-139057-R0D1J2
(Two days ago... assuming this is the ticket from Member Services that Staff said would be opened. to which I've heard absolutely nothing.)

Case #CAS-138922-P9T6G0, which I created myself by sending in an e-mail (as recommended by Rogetray).

Support did respond to this one, however, I wasn't completely satisfied with the response and politely asked that it be escalated.

This was also two days ago.

I have asked for status updates to both case #s.

This is borderline unacceptable after two days.

It shouldn't take that long to at least have someone provide an update.

It still may not be the answer I want, but someone update the cases at a minimum.

PT

We've sent this along to see what sort of update help we can get for you. Sorry for the hassle!

Update: If you could private message a moderator with the email that you wrote in with, we will be able to assist with your issue.

I'm just hanging out, really.

pallenthomas

inkycatz wrote:We've sent this along to see what sort of update help we can get for you. Sorry for the hassle!

I appreciate that.

I just got back from lunch and there was another staff answer that pointed me right back to the first answer I got from support.

The same one I asked to be escalated. So either my reply was not seen, or lost in the shuffle. (possibly ignored? - surely not...)

I've now put in a second request for escalation.

And this is still only concerning the one case# that I created myself.

The other one that's been assigned to me has yet to receive one, so I don't know if they have been aggregated into a common case of just what.

Of course, every time I reply to one of the emails I get assigned yet another case #. The next thing you know, I'm going to be buried up to my eyeballs in them.

Essentially, I've been offered a $10 credit and then have to deal with the vendor, or to ship the unit back for a refund.

Don't get me wrong, that's better than nothing and not a bad gesture on Woot's part, however I think they can do a little better in this instance.

As I've stated quite clearly, I don't want to send the entire kit back. I don't want a refund.

I simply want the charger issue resolved.

If the unit had failed some months out, I wouldn't be nearly as upset about this, and would be dealing directly with Ridgid as that is what would be expected.

However, when I get less than a half hour's use and then get told:

"Sorry to hear that, send it back or deal with the vendor"

... it's simply frustrating.

Now, granted I know that Woot did not package these items themselves and that they were drop shipped.

So Woot honestly DOESN'T have to offer ANY credit, however, I was hoping that POSSIBLY as a good faith issue they might issue a partial credit for half of the cost of a replacement charger which I can buy here locally and have the issue resolved without a ton of hassle for something I've not even had the chance to drill a hole with yet.

Replacement units are $50, so that would be a $25 credit on Woot's part and I'll simply eat the other half.

It would be worth it to me to do that simply from a time savings standpoint.

Considering the amount of money I've spent over the past couple of years (thousands), I don't think that's too much to ask to keep a frequent wooter happy.

(and yes, I know there are other wooters out there that probably put me to shame in sheer woots)

Of course, at this point, I could also be speaking from my sphincter. (that's been known to happen before...)

This is partial venting on my part and it isn't your fault. So don't think I'm aiming this at you by any means.

PT

pallenthomas

inkycatz wrote:Update: If you could private message a moderator with the email that you wrote in with, we will be able to assist with your issue.

My apologies,

I see this was updated while I was "writing my rant."

Well, I've never had to do that before, I'll see if I can dig one up.

Thanks for the help.

PT