WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Rare is the commercial that really sticks with you. At best, it's likely to inflict some subtle subconscious urge to buy a Bud Light the next time you're at a football game or something. More often, though, and much more tragic, are the ads that stand out for being just so awful they make you go out of your way to avoid whatever it is they've advertised. Badvertising is for those kinds.

A woman steps out of the shower and is startled by her DVR's "recording conflict" notice looming in her bathroom. She is then verbally accosted by the most grating, self-absorbed d---head in the universe about why this is all her fault. He then insinuates she's a frigid prude and walks away while the audience is left wondering how this poor woman ended up married to such a terrible excuse for a human being and worries that he might start hitting her in the future.

This ad misses the mark on me completely for a few reasons, namely that I don't use DVR and for the few months I did (thanks to a well-to-do roommate) "recording conflicts" were a non-issue. I literally cannot think of a TV show I would be upset to not have recorded digitally to watch later. Seriously. Everything is accessible on the internet nowadays; I watched The Walking Dead every Monday at work because I didn't get AMC and now it's to the point where it feels weird actually watching it on a television.

But fine, let's suppose you ARE the sort of person for whom scheduling all your DVR stuff is a problem. You're in the market for a solution to all this stuff, fine. Is the horrible, shallow, vindictive husband supposed to turn you on to using DirecTV? Who wants to be that guy? Seriously, I'm asking. Who looks at this ad and says, "Ha, yeah, if I had DirecTV I could be a huge d--- to everyone I know, too!"

More bewildering is DirecTV had a decent campaign in recent memory, but they've seemingly abandoned it and are running full speed with multiple spots featuring this assh--- abusing various people in his life because he's so butthurt about not recording whatever show he wanted to watch. Are there people for whom this is a big enough deal to lash out at others?

Last time everyone called me a fuddy-duddy for disliking Samsung's sext-themed commercial. I'm curious to see how you guys feel about this one. Would this make you buy DirecTV? Or is it bland enough that it doesn't register either way?

trcarlson22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trcarlson22

Totally agree. He's a schmuck, and while the conflict issue could be relatable, he's a huge repellent.

dcobranchi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcobranchi

I noticed the same thing. And the whole DVR thing watching her run around naked... Who the hell thought that one up?

Oklahomaswmr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Oklahomaswmr

Completely missed the point of the commercial. He doesn't have DirectTV and because of that he and his family constantly run into recording conflicts and it is causing tension between him and his wife. If he had DirectTV there would be no recording conflicts and the tension would be gone.

The Brony look on his face as he says "well at least someone gets to" and walks away scrubbing his teeth is hilarious.

Does it make me want to get DirectTV? No, but it does make me laugh. Then again commercials never work on me. Now excuse me while I finish ordering some Nike shoes off of O.co on my iPhone and finish this ice cold Coca-Cola I got at McDonald's.

mgodawski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mgodawski

Randall, I agree to the point but your description of the d*head is a little over the top. Besides guys like these wouldn't think twice about changing from cable to DirectTV... they'd JUST DO IT.

As for an effective commercial this one is a bust.

If you're gonna go after BADVERTISING, how about taking up ANNOYING commercials. The NEW Yoplait Light commercial starting with the guy drumming and noise throughout the commercial has NOTHING to do with yogurt. Thank God for the mute button.

--its the Shendy principle

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

Part of point of the commercial is you have better things to worry about than recording conflicts and don't need to be interrupted. Apparently DirecTV has a new DVR that will help eliminate those. Of course, I have an older DirecTV DVR and I still have recording conflicts..

Meanwhile, if you don't have a DVR and get most of your stuff off the internet, you are really not the target audience for the commercial...

I did think the comment about "someone gets to" to be sort of odd. Not sure if this is the same couple that has the jerky dad who wants his sons to get him some chips "chop chop" after lecturing them on how hard marriage is with a "greedy" partner..

rsherry

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rsherry

Very sad that companies like this should resort to this form of advertising. VERY sad.

We have TWC and are on the verge of cancelling it and just going to the Internet for everything. We do have ROKU, so everything we like is already thru that box.

DOWN WITH TV SUBSCRIPTIONS!!!!

jcolag

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jcolag

I think you guys are interpreting it all wrong. It's targeting the battered-spouse market, that if they would only subscribe to DirectTV, all the abuse will magically go away like it was when they started the relationship.

Scummy and enabling? Sure. Beneath middle-aged Madison Avenue wannabes griping about how things were in the good old days before chicks and ethnics were allowed in the office? Probably not.

Last time everyone called me a fuddy-duddy for disliking Samsung's sext-themed commercial.

One commercial was cute, sort of. The fact that it's apparently a campaign (I think I saw others) and the concept has spread to other products...not so much.

kaighintze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaighintze

I just don't watch TV. Not a problem for me...

Now if they were to put it on YouTube, that could be obnoxious. But it would set me more firmly in the camp of "Thank goodness I don't have to mess with TV".

ajohnson1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ajohnson1

I said this after your Samsung post, but I'll say it again: There are far worse commercials to criticize than the ones you have chosen.

If you're going to criticize something about this commercial, lets talk about how this dude brushes his teeth. Nobody brushes like that.

But if you're talking about bad advertising, you have to consider the ad's target demographic, which is obviously middle-aged married men. And I'd wager that most men in this demographic can relate to a lack of sex or a wife that is overly self-conscious about her body.

Maybe this ad isn't targeting consumers like you, but I would hardly say its a bad advertisement.

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
NascarDad wrote:Part of point of the commercial is you have better things to worry about than recording conflicts and don't need to be interrupted. Apparently DirecTV has a new DVR that will help eliminate those.

Fair point. But when the character is so absolutely grating, the only impression I'm left with is "I hate those DirecTV ads." I'm still associating their brand with a self-absorbed asshat. That seems like a bigtime backfire for a commercial.

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1

I agree with Randy. This commercial is the worst. I get that recording conflicts or full DVRs can be annoying, but what does that have to do with her shower time? What does that have to do with the guy not being able to watch his lady friend be nekked? If there were recording conflicts, it seems they'd have more time to spend together doing nekked things instead of watching TV... How is this in any way the DVRs fault?

Edit: now, the DirectTV cheese ad is pretty funny. "you strike me as a brie man"...
Double Edit! Best/worst copy I could find: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0jowVaRF28 I understand how conflicts would ruin a TV party, so that at least sorta makes sense.

dukeofwulf

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dukeofwulf
More bewildering is DirecTV had a decent campaign in recent memory, but they've seemingly abandoned it

That previous ad campaign, with the string of cause-and-effect, was one of the worst series of ads I've ever seen. They were (presumably) intended to be funny, but they never were, possibly because they didn't make any damned sense. Thank you for reminding me how much I hated those commercials.

BJGumby

quality posts: 3 Private Messages BJGumby
llandar wrote:Fair point. But when the character is so absolutely grating, the only impression I'm left with is "I hate those DirecTV ads." I'm still associating their brand with a self-absorbed asshat. That seems like a bigtime backfire for a commercial.

I feel the same way- the guy is so annoying, I feel compelled to not purchase anyting he is shiling.

I think the ad mavens at DirectTV have come to the same conclusion. This week I noticed new ads for their DVR featuring guys comparing recording conflicts to painful experiences while a comely model shows the DirectTV alternative. Still doesn't make me want to switch to DirecTV, but at least I don't hate the characters pushing the product.

caffeine_dude

quality posts: 13 Private Messages caffeine_dude

I missed the point of most commercials as I have DirectTV and do not watch live TV...I was looking online to upgrade one of my tuners to digital.
That cost money. I saw the Genie and that cost money. I miss the days of cable where they owned the equipment and the cost was hidden in the cost of programming. So for $300 more I can have the latest and greatest DirecTV? That is $25 extra a month for a year. They do not have an existing equipment buyback.

But to be fair at least the signal does not go out 'when it is humid' like it did with cable (per the cable company).

Please don't delete this post, I am trying, honest!