WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Dream Kitchen

So, fun thing about cooking: it's sexy. People who cook are objectively more attractive than people who don't, and more useful besides. And, as a human being, I'm pretty comfortable betting that you aspire to be both sexy and useful. Well aspire no longer, sir or madam! Simply be.



Quality Posts


ThunderThighs


quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I feel I should warn you of the dangers of pepper mills. I've been hit in the head twice by these dangerous kitchen accessories in restaurants. They hurt. Just a friendly Woot PSA.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

velociraptor419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages velociraptor419

Reviews complain about a chemical smell.

gambrinus2


quality posts: 3 Private Messages gambrinus2

Awhile back I was on a quest to find a good set of salt/pepper grinders. I found that a lot of them, while they looked nice, were pretty fragile and would break soon after I bought them. And then I saw a lot of recommendations for William Bounds. I got a set (something out of the "Love" collection) and have been using them for years without problems.

I do wish woot would carry the matching salt grinders, however.

nastyducky


quality posts: 8 Private Messages nastyducky

I'm so happy to get this electric kettle - more recent reviews don't mention any bad smell except on older models after they reach an advanced age. The price is great and I look forward to many happy mugs o' French press coffee and cups of chai tea, and bowls of hot and fruit-enhanced oatmeal for breakfast. Every once in a while, you really surprise and please me, Woot. Keep up the good work and thanks!

slz254


quality posts: 5 Private Messages slz254

Does anyone have any experience with the toaster? Mine was ruined by a leaky ceiling in my kitchen this week (second time in two years in my apartment building - there are disadvantages to being on the first floor and having the bathrooms for the upper floors above your kitchen). It was a cheap one, so I'm not weeping over it, but I've been thinking of getting a better one anyway...along with a toaster cover so that the next time my ceiling leaks, it will survive.

delaquai


quality posts: 0 Private Messages delaquai

A boombox is not a toy...

fuzzypeaches


quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches

My mother bought that 4 slice toaster (except in white) for my brother & his large family (5 kids, mom & dad). She paid almost $60. It works great & the bread is evenly toasted. I could tell her about WOOT having it for $40 ($35 + $5 shipping) but it would just tee her off.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

mandklewis


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mandklewis
slz254 wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the toaster? Mine was ruined by a leaky ceiling in my kitchen this week (second time in two years in my apartment building - there are disadvantages to being on the first floor and having the bathrooms for the upper floors above your kitchen). It was a cheap one, so I'm not weeping over it, but I've been thinking of getting a better one anyway...along with a toaster cover so that the next time my ceiling leaks, it will survive.



i too have been considering getting this (it also showed up on 1saleaday a few days ago). the reviews said that they liked it with the exception of the wide slots cook one side faster than the other because the grates close on only one side to hold standard thickness bread slices. so they push the bread closer to one side than the other if that makes sense. i would think high end toasters have a centering system but i haven't learned for sure yet. for bagels people seemed to love it. hope that helped more than it confused.

ChefJoAnnaM


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ChefJoAnnaM

>> So, fun thing about cooking: it's sexy. People who cook are objectively more attractive than people who don't...

I couldn't agree more! ;-)

¡ʎɹƃunɥ ʎɹǝʌ 'ʎɹǝʌ ǝɹɐ noʎ :ǝƃɐssǝɯ lɐuıɯılqns

kleinmd99


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kleinmd99

a dream kitchen appliance...a 4 slice toaster? No offense to anyone reading this...is your dream kitchen no longer mobile??

dc14a10


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dc14a10
mandklewis wrote:i too have been considering getting this (it also showed up on 1saleaday a few days ago). the reviews said that they liked it with the exception of the wide slots cook one side faster than the other because the grates close on only one side to hold standard thickness bread slices. so they push the bread closer to one side than the other if that makes sense. i would think high end toasters have a centering system but i haven't learned for sure yet. for bagels people seemed to love it. hope that helped more than it confused.


We bought this toaster from another store a while ago, from experience I can say that for normal slices of bread it does slightly toast one side more than the other. Even with that, it does a pretty decent job. It handles larger size bread and bagels very well.

We normally use the "2" setting as much higher will really darken the toast. The first toast it did have a slight chemical smell as if it was burning off some material on the heating elements. That only lasted the one time though.

All in all, I highly recommend this toaster. Keep in mind that I am a pretty simple fellow though, this gets me a nicely toasted piece of bread for my eggs. That is all I ask of it.

Edurne


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Edurne

The Cuisinart 6-Piece Bakeware Set has a list price of $162.99.
You have GOT to be kidding.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving definitely isn't for you.

acfreema


quality posts: 0 Private Messages acfreema
velociraptor419 wrote: Reviews complain about a chemical smell.



I have been using this exact model for over two years, and I did not experience any odd odor in that time.

kle11az


quality posts: 3 Private Messages kle11az

The Elevate utensils description states they're great for non-stick cookware. What about for use with stainless steel cookware? Any distinct disadvantages or would they work just fine?

Oh, and I wish the toaster came in a stainless option. Haven't bit yet since it's only available in black...

kane968


quality posts: 2 Private Messages kane968
Edurne wrote:The Cuisinart 6-Piece Bakeware Set has a list price of $162.99.
You have GOT to be kidding.



It's $120 on Amazon Prime.

My question is why the heck a mortar and pestle is $129, when you can go outside and get two rocks for free.

kle11az


quality posts: 3 Private Messages kle11az

Forgot to mention I bought this Cuisinart bakewear set and love it. They're thicker than any others I've ever owned and the cookie sheets in particular produce great results. Bakes uniformly without any hot spots so each batch comes out just right - nothing's underdone or burnt.

Excellent quality and overall a great value. I highly recommend.

beastyribs


quality posts: 2 Private Messages beastyribs

That tomato worktop saver seems excessively thin only .15" H with the rubberized feet.?

fuzzypeaches


quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches

Just who is this Curtis Stone??? (I know I could look him up, but had rather read WOOT'ers replies)

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

fuzzypeaches


quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches
kane968 wrote:It's $120 on Amazon Prime.

My question is why the heck a mortar and pestle is $129, when you can go outside and get two rocks for free.



Do you find it ironic that the Curtis Stone mortar & pestle is made of stainless steel instead of stone???

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

JMDSax


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JMDSax
kle11az wrote:The Elevate utensils description states they're great for non-stick cookware. What about for use with stainless steel cookware? Any distinct disadvantages or would they work just fine?

Oh, and I wish the toaster came in a stainless option. Haven't bit yet since it's only available in black...



They will be fine. Typically you I just don't know what went wrong. to use metal utensils on non-stick cookware because it will scratch the surface. With stainless steel this is obviously not a concern. Although, I think one of the benefits of stainless steel cookware is that you can use steel utensils (more rigid and durable) but that is just personal preference.

kle11az


quality posts: 3 Private Messages kle11az
JMDSax wrote:They will be fine. Typically you I just don't know what went wrong. to use metal utensils on non-stick cookware because it will scratch the surface. With stainless steel this is obviously not a concern. Although, I think one of the benefits of stainless steel cookware is that you can use steel utensils (more rigid and durable) but that is just personal preference.




Thanks! I have very narrow countertop space on both sides of my stove and like the idea of not needing a spoonrest or trivet taking up space.

dkm1new


quality posts: 4 Private Messages dkm1new
fuzzypeaches wrote:Do you find it ironic that the Curtis Stone mortar & pestle is made of stainless steel instead of stone???



[snark]

dkm1new


quality posts: 4 Private Messages dkm1new
fuzzypeaches wrote:Just who is this Curtis Stone??? (I know I could look him up, but had rather read WOOT'ers replies)



Aussie-Rod-Stewart-Do-Ya-Think-Im-Sexy fry cook who had a show "Take Home Chef" where he would ambush hot housewives grocery shopping in their jammies and offer to shop with them and then go home and make them... dinner.

Then hubbie or BF or whomever would get home, and after the initial "WhutDaFudge is this curiously attractive young buck doing at home all day with my wife or GF or whomever" reaction countered by all of the "nuttin', honey... really, despite the fact that we are both sweating like jungle icemakers and he is wearing the panties you bought me for Talk Like a Pirate Day" shrugs and looks from said partner, eventually comes around, and everyone enjoys an above average meal.

Then Curtis Stone, man has to hurry on his way. So he says goodbye sayin' don't you cry, I'll be back again someday. Ostensibly to return the panties.

laurabny


quality posts: 1 Private Messages laurabny

Just in case anyone is wondering, like I was, the 14 pc cookware on Amazon is listed as $299.99 regular price and $189.99 sale price.

I got a set of hard anodized cookware last year and love it so it's definitely worth it. Just wish there was more honesty in prices.

nismoUSAF


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nismoUSAF

I bought the 14-pc set off a Woot about a month 1/2 ago, haven't used all the pans, but I am very happy with them for the price and what I have used!!

radi0j0hn


quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn

My Capresso espresso machine (Made in Portugal) is the best pump machine I've used, rivaling even my La Pavoni lever unit.

However, there is a trend to fill in a product line at lower price points with Asian cheapies (poor quality control, weak parts), some of which are OK, others not.

"Unlimited steam output produces hot frothed milk for cappuccino and latte" is a great feature, also found on my machine, so that is one positive indicator.

I guess the question is how much Capresso cares about their reputation versus making a quick buck. Be nice to hear from an owner of THIS unit.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

kmontrose


quality posts: 27 Private Messages kmontrose

I have this toaster. Not overly impressed with it, but it gets the job done. The toasting is uneven and seems to go from half untoasted to burned in the blink of an eye. The list price is ridiculous. I bought mine at Macy's on sale for the same price as woot.

fuzzypeaches


quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches
dkm1new wrote:Aussie-Rod-Stewart-Do-Ya-Think-Im-Sexy fry cook who had a show "Take Home Chef" where he would ambush hot housewives grocery shopping in their jammies and offer to shop with them and then go home and make them... dinner.

Then hubbie or BF or whomever would get home, and after the initial "WhutDaFudge is this curiously attractive young buck doing at home all day with my wife or GF or whomever" reaction countered by all of the "nuttin', honey... really, despite the fact that we are both sweating like jungle icemakers and he is wearing the panties you bought me for Talk Like a Pirate Day" shrugs and looks from said partner, eventually comes around, and everyone enjoys an above average meal.

Then Curtis Stone, man has to hurry on his way. So he says goodbye sayin' don't you cry, I'll be back again someday. Ostensibly to return the panties.



See....much better write up from a WOOT'er than say Wiki. Thanks for the info & for the fun read.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

srussell01


quality posts: 0 Private Messages srussell01
nismoUSAF wrote:I bought the 14-pc set off a Woot about a month 1/2 ago, haven't used all the pans, but I am very happy with them for the price and what I have used!!



where are they made?

me54350


quality posts: 0 Private Messages me54350
radi0j0hn wrote:My Capresso espresso machine (Made in Portugal) is the best pump machine I've used, rivaling even my La Pavoni lever unit.

However, there is a trend to fill in a product line at lower price points with Asian cheapies (poor quality control, weak parts), some of which are OK, others not.

"Unlimited steam output produces hot frothed milk for cappuccino and latte" is a great feature, also found on my machine, so that is one positive indicator.

I guess the question is how much Capresso cares about their reputation versus making a quick buck. Be nice to hear from an owner of THIS unit.



There are mixed reviews on Bed Bath and Beyond's website...

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=18700921

rak0ribz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rak0ribz
nastyducky wrote:I'm so happy to get this electric kettle - more recent reviews don't mention any bad smell except on older models after they reach an advanced age. The price is great and I look forward to many happy mugs o' French press coffee and cups of chai tea, and bowls of hot and fruit-enhanced oatmeal for breakfast. Every once in a while, you really surprise and please me, Woot. Keep up the good work and thanks!



Just wanted to mention this: we've gone through 2 of these kettles in 2 years because of a design problem. The tab that holds the lid on the kettle is made of plastic, and eventually degrades because of thermal stress or just plain use. The lid breaks off, and you can't get a replacement part. Granted, we use it every single day for about a year before this happens; nevertheless, our next kettle is going to be something a little more rugged.

geekwench


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekwench
dkm1new wrote:Aussie-Rod-Stewart-Do-Ya-Think-Im-Sexy fry cook who had a show "Take Home Chef" where he would ambush hot housewives grocery shopping in their jammies and offer to shop with them and then go home and make them... dinner.

Then hubbie or BF or whomever would get home, and after the initial "WhutDaFudge is this curiously attractive young buck doing at home all day with my wife or GF or whomever" reaction countered by all of the "nuttin', honey... really, despite the fact that we are both sweating like jungle icemakers and he is wearing the panties you bought me for Talk Like a Pirate Day" shrugs and looks from said partner, eventually comes around, and everyone enjoys an above average meal.

Then Curtis Stone, man has to hurry on his way. So he says goodbye sayin' don't you cry, I'll be back again someday. Ostensibly to return the panties.



To the Powers That Be who tag quality posts: surely the above deserves a tick!

kmkbywoot


quality posts: 1 Private Messages kmkbywoot

That there is a pretty poorly conceived photo for an outfit that sells so many "reconditioned" items! Looks like the plastic is broken on the toaster! (Which, by description, is actually new. But I only looked at the description b/c I couldn't believe Woot'd actually show the condition of a re-conditioned!) (I've never bought a recon here so that's not a jab at woot as much as at all re-sellers - and at the art team!

Crombie


quality posts: 12 Private Messages Crombie

Does anyone know if the pressure cooker can be used on an induction stove-top. The 2.2 qt on Amazon states that it can be but this is a different size with slightly different description.

nastyducky


quality posts: 8 Private Messages nastyducky

I received my Capresso electric kettle last week and I'm loving it! And there's ZERO strange smell associated with it.