ctheronj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ctheronj

I've seen a few comments regarding wattage of this amplifier... 60W is more than enough to drive ANY set of speakers that you're likely to have in the home. The main determinant of volume is actually speaker efficiency (usually measured in dB). An increase of 3 dB (not much) in speaker efficiency is equal to a doubling in power, and an increase in 10 dB is a 10X increase in power. Keep that in mind if all you're looking for is volume levels. It's the speakers, not the amp.

mdrcoast

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mdrcoast

One of the best deals I have seen here. I have a similar model (but a few years older) and the HDMI does not support 3D. This is a fantastic buy that will give you a lot for your money.

60 Watts is Plenty for home entertainment for most people.

ishynarang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ishynarang
amenite wrote:I have the same setup basically and plan to use this with ARC - Audio Return Channel - over HDMI. You feed the audio form the TV to the receiver this way. Both units must support it, and this does along with my Samsung TV.

Hey thanks for your input. Would I still be able to use the poweramp? Or do I just connect speakers straight to this

ravensfan21

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ravensfan21

Does anyone know if this will up-convert the Component inputs and output over a single HDMI Cable?

Wootieful

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wootieful

Will this handle four Boston VR3's..?

imagoob

quality posts: 1 Private Messages imagoob

Onkyo is well known for their quality issues. They break A LOT, to put it simply. Check out audio forums or for that matter Amazon's reviews of ANY onkyo. You've been warned!!

mjjohnstonjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjjohnstonjr

This is a really good deal. I thought I got a good deal at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago getting this for $159, should have waited. Happy with it so far in my setup. Have a 3D Blu-Ray, cable and Xbox coming through the receiver via HDMI and no issues so far. Lots of additional features with the receiver I haven't even tapped yet either. Plenty loud enough for our needs.

mhodges

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mhodges

I have an Onkyo now that I've had for over 10 years, no issues. It's all component though so I'm looking to move up to HDMI. Will this take an HDMI input and output it to Component?

mjjohnstonjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjjohnstonjr
ravensfan21 wrote:Does anyone know if this will up-convert the Component inputs and output over a single HDMI Cable?

I think only the hdmi ins come through the hdmi out. There is also component in and out, so I don't think it will upconvert like you hope.

philmit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages philmit

I bought this same receiver about 3 weeks ago from an amazon deal that was front page for $127. Haven't hooked it up yet but every review that I've read says that this is an excellent receiver for the money. Saome have said that there have been issues with the HDMI inputs buts that number is small compared to the total number of reviews.

auctionsaver

quality posts: 18 Private Messages auctionsaver
ravensfan21 wrote:Does anyone know if this will up-convert the Component inputs and output over a single HDMI Cable?

I checked and this model doesn't have upscaling of composite or component through the hdmi. That being said, your TV may do a decent job of it. It will just match your resolution. It will turn it into digital though and send it over.

auctionsaver

quality posts: 18 Private Messages auctionsaver
imagoob wrote:Onkyo is well known for their quality issues. They break A LOT, to put it simply. Check out audio forums or for that matter Amazon's reviews of ANY onkyo. You've been warned!!

Onkyo has a sound name for a reason. You can't confuse the 2% that complain for the majority. I have NEVER had a problem with any of my onkyo equipment. If you don't abuse it, it will generally last. Furthermore, it comes with a 2 year warranty. For all the features this has with a 2 year warranty for the price, you cannot beat it.

bclinton1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bclinton1

I would not buy an Onkyo unless you want to throw the money on a roulette wheel. I have a 705 and the thing can double as a stove. Has Dolby chirp problems that many many many others report. Look at their reviews. Lots of out of the box problems with HDMI etc.....the company has really went to the bottom. Don't let their good prices fool you....it doesn't do you any good to have a non working receiver for any price...

promize

quality posts: 1 Private Messages promize

I don't see anything about connecting Sirius to this unit. Is it possible?

blipper67

quality posts: 3 Private Messages blipper67
clark106 wrote:Interesting discussion on low-end receivers here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1433110/help-a-first-timer-in-choosing-a-v-receiver-research-included

This model is lacking the Audyssey room EQ compensation that a few more bucks will buy fom a Denon model.

True, but you can't beat it for the price, keeping in mind it is a starter amp. So what if it poops out in 5 years, although I doubt if it will unless Onkyo is not up to their old high quality standards. However, I have an old hefty Onkyo bruiser and its center channel crapped out after about 7 years of use.

I now have a high end Denon With Audyssey EQ mike and all. I bi-amp, something rare these days. What I hate about it is there are too many choices. Punch the wrong button and it takes me forever to make it right. I long for the good old simplistic days of using buttons rather than circuits/boards to make AV choices. Today's AV receivers are way to confusing with too many silly choices.

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid

Two Questions!

1. What kind of speakers can one recommend (for a slick deal) to connect to this receiver? Also, a sub.

2. I picked up a NIB Pioneer VSX-822-K (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+700W+5.1-Ch.+3D+Pass-Through+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/4789445.p?id=1218527811471&skuId=4789445) for 79 bucks after tax because the 821 I ordered from the website said it was "ready for pick up" and they didn't have it.

Which receiver is better for the money?

Suck it, Trebek.

loadednightrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loadednightrain

Been looking for something like this for a while... I'll take my chances on the HDMI issue, as I wont be beating the crap out of it... Worst case VISA will help me out after year 2

Flyman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Flyman

The very first stereo I purchased was an Onkyo in 1987. It still works, and I use it to listen to music in my home office.

Since then, I've owned a handful of Onky's and have been very happy.

UNTIL. The last Onkyo I purchased, a TX-SR606, cooked it's HDMI board in less than 3 years. The price to repair was more than the cost of a new receiver.

I've gone without a receiver for almost 2 years now. I need a new receiver, but haven't been able to pull the trigger.

Honestly, with all the quality problems that Onkyo has had (just read AVS forums), I'm not sure I will buy another Onkyo.

I will say that the price on this unit makes taking a gamble an easy risk.

rlp518

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rlp518
ndk0911 wrote:Oh god how i want one of these. I have been obsessing over a A/V receiver for a little over a year now and it seems my wife cant take a hint. Plus she wont let me buy one because she thinks it's a waste of money. D:

Consider a new wife in place of a new receiver. It makes sounds you'll actually enjoy.

bigbug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigbug

I have 2 Onkyo's and love them. I have had to crank up the center channel for dialog to come through but I am 46 now. Yikes !! Too much load music maybe. :-)

edwata

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edwata

Can I use this to replace an old stereo receiver? I want to hook up my CD player, phono player, tape deck. Old receiver a bit bashed up from moving and no FM reception any more.

chycoll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chycoll

I'd Stay away from Denon's entry level components. their Mid and upper level units are great, but the cheaper ones have the exploding capacity of a Ford Pinto.

clark106 wrote:Interesting discussion on low-end receivers here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1433110/help-a-first-timer-in-choosing-a-v-receiver-research-included

This model is lacking the Audyssey room EQ compensation that a few more bucks will buy fom a Denon model.

turrets11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages turrets11

I used to come to woot every day. I loved it here - a hip anti-store.

Now I occasionally stop by hoping everything will revert to the way it was. Nope.

Perhaps they can do a throwback.woot.com... where everything is like it used to be, with a great community and products that didn't constantly completely stink, oh, and they only sold ONE product a day.

I'll be back in two months, hoping things are better, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

ionh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ionh

I'm curious as to multi-zone capability of this receiver, I see it has A/B speaker outputs, can this send to two entirely separate speaker set ups? / Both at the same time?

mcahren

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mcahren
imagoob wrote:Onkyo is well known for their quality issues. They break A LOT, to put it simply. Check out audio forums or for that matter Amazon's reviews of ANY onkyo. You've been warned!!

Hmm, that's funny, I bought a new Yamaha RX-V671, and had it repaired twice in the fist couple months because the right channel on zone 1 kept failing. It cost me a small fortune in shipping, and I eventually returned it and got an Onkyo NRTX609 that has been a treat for more than a year. It's driven pretty hard for hours a day, and has never let me down.

mcahren

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mcahren
ionh wrote:I'm curious as to multi-zone capability of this receiver, I see it has A/B speaker outputs, can this send to two entirely separate speaker set ups? / Both at the same time?

I don't think so, it looks like it's one or the other, which isn't surprising at this pricepoint.

CobraCat03

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CobraCat03

For those that are worried about 60W output for your speakers being to low you need to realize that with Onkyo this is a continuous 60W whereas most other receivers that list 100-120W it's peak wattage and nominally they run at 50W or less. I have had my TX-SR607 for 3 years and the only thing I regret is not getting one with HDMI passthrough.

RobinLovell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RobinLovell

I'd jump at this, if I hadn't just bought the Onkyo TX-NR414.

The two models appear to have very similar specs, except that this has lower output power and lacks network/internet connectivity. That's a feature that I wasn't looking for, but really appreciate, now that I have it.

cjmoran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cjmoran
ghostofdavid wrote:Two Questions!

1. What kind of speakers can one recommend (for a slick deal) to connect to this receiver? Also, a sub.

2. I picked up a NIB Pioneer VSX-822-K (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+700W+5.1-Ch.+3D+Pass-Through+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/4789445.p?id=1218527811471&skuId=4789445) for 79 bucks after tax because the 821 I ordered from the website said it was "ready for pick up" and they didn't have it.

Which receiver is better for the money?

Stick with what you have, it's a better receiver. You got a screaming deal if you only paid $79.

Rock

dalejohnston

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dalejohnston

Obviously a good deal but note the misleading specifications: Although they give a power output rating for speaker systems having impedance as low as 2 or 3 ohms, the MINIMUM speaker impedance in the same specifications is 6 ohms, giving the impression that this amp is far more powerful than it really is. DO NOT BE MISLEAD. It is an 80 WATT PER CHANNEL system, which is of potential concern for people like me with room-shakers.

2pair

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2pair
lyman123 wrote:I've had 2 recent Onkyo's and they hae both cooked themselves. The last one cooked its HDMI board in 4 years.

I finally tossed out my Yamaha from 1986, and I still have my Yamaha integrated amp from 1990 - stereo monster!

I just purchased an RX-A710 Aventage receiver and I am sorry I ever went Onkyo. The difference in sound, build and features is striking.

Yamaha... I will never leave you again.

I have a Onkyo TX-SR504 that I bought in 2007. My room mates used to leave it in a closed AV cabinet with video game consoles running for so long that some of the components in the Onkyo would go into thermal shutdown (audio or picture would just stop working, casing was nearly too hot to touch). With that said, I've used it daily for the last 6 years and its still going strong.

Gatesay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gatesay

IT is true that Onkyo had some problems with their HDMI boards, but I have to say their customer service has been great. Mine failed after 4 years and a simple email to customer support granted me a warranty repair authorization on my TX-SR606. The HDMI pass-through is great. Heck at this price it's almost worth it just for the HDMI switch. I will buy Onkyo again.

ms1939

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ms1939

Will this receiver pass through digital sound from my HD TV? My old (4yrs)BB brand receiver will not support.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

I've used Onkyo receivers for the past decade, I think they have some of the best bang for the buck value vs. features out there. As shown here you can get great deals on their receivers.

Fry's puts this woot! model on sale every couple of weeks but currently has a 7.1 channel model on sale instead for not much more ($177).

Considering Onkyo's official Reconditioned outlet, Acessories for Less, carries this exact same model for the same price but refurbished, woot! has a very good deal this time around.

If you need more than 5.1 be sure to checkout Acessories for Less, I have bought several reconditioned Onkyo's from them and their service is great. Onkyo gives a full year warranty on refurbished units and I have never has a problem with one. They are an authorized refurbished seller of other brands as well.

kfrancke37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kfrancke37

I have been looking for a receiver that would allow me to switch between surround sound in my living room, and separate speakers in my kitchen. I have found some allow for an A/B configuration but not both at once. Does this model allow for 2 sets of speakers to be used simultaneously?

I was hoping to get something that supports airplay or bluetooth... then this deal smacked me in the face.

dhuff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dhuff

I've got a similar model - it's a great piece of gear. Onkyo knows good sound, and how to make it avail at a decent price.

2pair

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2pair
edwata wrote:Can I use this to replace an old stereo receiver? I want to hook up my CD player, phono player, tape deck. Old receiver a bit bashed up from moving and no FM reception any more.

You can use this for most of that. You'll need to buy an external phono preamp though. You'd be hard pressed to find a receiver, entry level or otherwise, that has a phono preamp in it anymore.

I've also found that the FM quality out of my Onkyo is serviceable but a bit weak compared to an older JVC I have.

idrivea911

quality posts: 4 Private Messages idrivea911
joecooool wrote:

Also, it came with a 30 pin apple connector that is useless with my iPhone 5. Wish it had blue tooth.

That's really the iPhone 5's failing, not the amp's. Luckily the phone still has a headphone jack that can be easily hooked up to just about anything =P

philgonet

quality posts: 10 Private Messages philgonet
ionh wrote:I'm curious as to multi-zone capability of this receiver, I see it has A/B speaker outputs, can this send to two entirely separate speaker set ups? / Both at the same time?

mcahren wrote:I don't think so, it looks like it's one or the other, which isn't surprising at this pricepoint.

Actually, it appears you can use both at the same time, but you lose the 5.1 in the main (A) set up if you do. Here is a link to the manual
Onkyo HT-RC430 manual
Now if I could just pull the trigger on this ...

philgonet

quality posts: 10 Private Messages philgonet
kfrancke37 wrote:I have been looking for a receiver that would allow me to switch between surround sound in my living room, and separate speakers in my kitchen. I have found some allow for an A/B configuration but not both at once. Does this model allow for 2 sets of speakers to be used simultaneously?

I was hoping to get something that supports airplay or bluetooth... then this deal smacked me in the face.

yes, see above with manual link