ManiacDan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ManiacDan
ATTORNEYFL wrote:Is this the problem one that hums or buzzes?

I have this receiver, it's about 2 years old. It does hum when the sound settings are wrong, like if you try to use the "dynamic theater" listening mode on direct stereo analog input. When set up properly, the sound is great.

Until my kid grabs the remote and changes it again.

fstopdigital

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fstopdigital

I have this exact receiver with the matching onkyo 5.1 speakers. I had upgraded from a Sony 5.1 setup. They sound fantastic for the price and the setup was super easy. Unless you start going into the $800 plus range, nothing sounds this good. The onscreen menus and remote are well thought out too. Highly recommended. Especially with the matching speakers. The sub puts out a crapload of undistortd bass. My neighbors complained when I played call of duty the first time on it.

jijacob

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jijacob
evildead wrote:Yep, after having an TX-SR605 kill its HDMI board I would never buy another.
It's a well known issue with several of their receivers and Onkyo refuses to do anything about it.
I now have a Pioneer VSX-1021K that I couldn't be happier with.

I had the exact *opposite* interaction with Onkyo. My HDMI board went out when my receiver was *3 YEARS* out of warranty and they replaced it for free. (TX-SR706) I will probably never buy from another brand, and always recommend Onkyo to friends and family.

mdrcoast

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mdrcoast
rlp518 wrote:Consider a new wife in place of a new receiver. It makes sounds you'll actually enjoy.

I have the same problem, only I can't retrurn fire!

imagoob

quality posts: 1 Private Messages imagoob
mcahren wrote:Hmm, that's funny, I bought a new Yamaha RX-V671, and had it repaired twice in the fist couple months because the right channel on zone 1 kept failing. It cost me a small fortune in shipping, and I eventually returned it and got an Onkyo NRTX609 that has been a treat for more than a year. It's driven pretty hard for hours a day, and has never let me down.

You're LUCKY. It's well known that Onkyo has quality issues. Any AV forum will verify that. Years ago they made decent stuff but the last few years has been quite bad. I'm only trying to relay useful info. Anyone who is really into A/V equipment will agree. Onkyo's have a lot of nice features for the buck but you are taking a chance buying one. Any receiver can malfunction, Onkyo much more than others though. I'm not a hater! People should just dig into the discussoins about Onkyo before buying one. No sub $500 receiver is really very good. Honestly!!

hodewa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hodewa

Will this Receiver take my analog devices (phonograph and cassette deck)? I need to be able to run both at the same time.
Thanks

guppeeh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages guppeeh

Be a man and stop letting someone tell you want you can or cannot do with your $135. Just saying...

ndk0911 wrote:Oh god how i want one of these. I have been obsessing over a A/V receiver for a little over a year now and it seems my wife cant take a hint. Plus she wont let me buy one because she thinks it's a waste of money. D:

jcinnyc169

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcinnyc169
Flyman wrote:The very first stereo I purchased was an Onkyo in 1987. It still works, and I use it to listen to music in my home office.

Since then, I've owned a handful of Onky's and have been very happy.

UNTIL. The last Onkyo I purchased, a TX-SR606, cooked it's HDMI board in less than 3 years. The price to repair was more than the cost of a new receiver.

I've gone without a receiver for almost 2 years now. I need a new receiver, but haven't been able to pull the trigger.

Honestly, with all the quality problems that Onkyo has had (just read AVS forums), I'm not sure I will buy another Onkyo.

I will say that the price on this unit makes taking a gamble an easy risk.

I have htrc160, hdmi 1.3 board, sound problem, did research online, instead of paying for new board, you can just replace the capacitors on the board to fix it, cost me less then $8, but this is hdmi 1.4 board, hope they fix the problem

thadwilliams

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thadwilliams

I have this, it's pretty nice. Works well from what I can tell - no complaints. I did get mine with speakers from newegg for 239.99 last year though, so this deal isn't super great unless you already have speakers.

fstopdigital

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fstopdigital
imagoob wrote:You're LUCKY. It's well known that Onkyo has quality issues. Any AV forum will verify that. Years ago they made decent stuff but the last few years has been quite bad. I'm only trying to relay useful info. Anyone who is really into A/V equipment will agree. Onkyo's have a lot of nice features for the buck but you are taking a chance buying one. Any receiver can malfunction, Onkyo much more than others though. I'm not a hater! People should just dig into the discussoins about Onkyo before buying one. No sub $500 receiver is really very good. Honestly!!

And how many people have $500 to spend on an av receiver without speakers? I'm not saying you're wrong, but this is "good enough" for 90% of people who just want a home theatre to play the blu rays and the game boxes etc. I have a good ear and think it sounds Incredibly decent. way better than low end sony junk. I could afford something more expensive but don't see the need.

mitchelrivers369

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchelrivers369

Pretty good for $130 bucks. Adequate features and # of HDMI ports.

However, only 60W/channel and no five-way binding posts are deal breakers for me.

This is a good replacement if your HTIB (home-theater-in-box) receiver is blown or if you have small speakers.

You'll want to spend the extra $$ on a higher-end receiver if you have bigger speakers, use banana plugs or like your movies loud (which I do).

I'm still rocking an older Yamaha receiver, so I can't speak to this brand's quality.

chrismaurer001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrismaurer001

To reply to the complaints of this not being "loud": I own the predecessor to this receiver with the same amplifier specs. I have 8 ohm nominal speakers I built myself plugged into it, and boy, does this thing get loud, and it doesn't distort until maybe 95% max volume. Using only the 6ohm speakers that came with it, it gets even louder. Beautiful, detailed sound.

ZootsAlures

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZootsAlures

This Onkyo will temporarily replace my HK which crashed and burned two of the 7.1 channels. At $450 per to replace - no brainer until I can cough up $900. Folks - make sure the ohmpedence on your speakers are validated to ensure accurate RMS. My Rogers' LS3-5A's are 15 Ohms and My Naim Intros are more squirrely.

The Onkyo is a consistent reliable commercial grade system that is easy to use and operate.

yourskeptic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yourskeptic

I've had two Onkyo receivers overheat in the last year. One is now dead. The other won't be far behind it. Just a word of caution.

guppeeh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages guppeeh

Totally agree. Amazon had the Onkyo NR509 for $141 firesale a few weeks back. You get network connectivity, 20 extra watts at 8ohms, banana plugs and surround back pre-outs for upgrading to 7.1.

If WOOT priced this at $120, I would have taken notice. If you must have 5.1 right now, then this is a decent deal.

mitchelrivers369 wrote:Pretty good for $130 bucks. Adequate features and # of HDMI ports.

However, only 60W/channel and no five-way binding posts are deal breakers for me.

This is a good replacement if your HTIB (home-theater-in-box) receiver is blown or if you have small speakers.

You'll want to spend the extra $$ on a higher-end receiver if you have bigger speakers, use banana plugs or like your movies loud (which I do).

I'm still rocking an older Yamaha receiver, so I can't speak to this brand's quality.

elmopio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elmopio

Now I am upgrading from a old a** Sony STR-DE597 and it did it job for years. 15 at least I believe. Here are the specs:
•Home theater - 6.1-channel receiver with 100 watts per channel; measures 16.9 x 6.25 x 12.25 inches (W x H x D)
•Digital Cinema Sound system produces audio comparable to Hollywood soundstage
•For three-dimensional sound - 32 bit processing
•Analog audio, optical digital, coaxial digital, composite video, component video (2 inputs, 1 output), composite monitor, and a headphone jack
•Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, DTS Neo:6, and Pro Logic II processing

I been want to upgrade for quite sometime, since I bought my first Blu-ray player on woot. The Memorex MVBD2510 in Nov 08. Of course that has been collecting dust for years. But anyway I only been using this receiver for audio only, since in my main room I only use a Mediacenter box and blu-ray player.

So should I worry about speaker calibration with no mic or no network capabilities with this entry level receiver?

elliedan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elliedan
auctionsaver wrote:I checked and this model doesn't have upscaling of composite or component through the hdmi... It will just match your resolution. It will turn it into digital though and send it over.

Sorry, former audiophile here out of the game for a decade or so needing some clarification: It sounds as though you are suggesting it will at least convert and 'send over' the composite or component input video signal on the HDMI output. The manual doesn't make it seem that this is the case, but maybe it's a given with these 'newfangled' receivers.

Any documented verification would be appreciated--I'd sure like to replace my (don't laugh) twenty-year-old Aiwa receiver, which works fine but still has a MiniDisc input and of course no HDMI inputs.

maguder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maguder

Does anyone know if an older speaker system is compatible? Woofer has a power cord, and connects to my current receiver via the front speaker out from receiver, then from sub to speakers. There are also female RCA connectors (4, 2 red, 2 white)above the wire input

3z3vh

quality posts: 6 Private Messages 3z3vh
ishynarang wrote:Hi Guys,need some suggestions.I got a Samsung smart TV which has enough internet apps and USB connectivity I'll ever need. Have a pair of epos 1 bookshelf Speakers attached with a parasound 750a power amp( both were gifts on my last birthday). Now I am in lovelove with the sound but hate that I can't change the volume with a remote because the TV doesn't have a variable output Can I attach the poweramp to this with component cables? Will it decrease the sound quality? I don't. Wanna spend too much money right now. I obviously don't know much about speaker setups and will appreciate your input. Thanks

This unit does not have the CoAx pre-amp outputs that your external amp requires, so the Parasound will not work with it. This only has amplified speaker outputs, which means you will plug the speakers directly into this Onkyo.

To those asking about connecting a Record Player to this unit, it does not have the proper Phonograph input. Phonographs run at a different signal level than your typical RCA pre-amp input. So, while the cable for most phonographs will plug into this unit, the signal will be way too quiet, and sound terrible (you also risk damaging your equipment because it will not be properly grounded). You'd need to buy a separate Phonograph signal amplifier (Like this) in order to hook it up to this unit.

3z3vh

quality posts: 6 Private Messages 3z3vh
maguder wrote:Does anyone know if an older speaker system is compatible? Woofer has a power cord, and connects to my current receiver via the front speaker out from receiver, then from sub to speakers. There are also female RCA connectors (4, 2 red, 2 white)above the wire input

As the gentleman with the Parasound Amp, you will have the same issue. This unit does not offer a line-level output for all channels. It only offers a line-level subwoofer output, and speaker level output for each channel. You will not have a way to plug this into your speaker system. Depending how your system handles working without the speakers plugged into it though, you may be able to use the subwoofer output to plug into your subwoofer, and just plug all of the speakers directly into this amp (instead of the back of the sub), giving you the full 5.1 audio that you aren't getting on your current setup (which only uses a stereo output/input).

ccmyersiii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccmyersiii

I have the Onkyo TX-NR509 receiver and can say that it is outstanding. It was top of the list in the british magazine What HiFi and I completely agree with their rating. I expect this version A/V Receiver by Onkyo to be similarly good.

siruvuru

quality posts: 1 Private Messages siruvuru

Does this play any VIDEO files/formats via USB connection in the front?

ccmyersiii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccmyersiii
imagoob wrote:Onkyo is well known for their quality issues. They break A LOT, to put it simply. Check out audio forums or for that matter Amazon's reviews of ANY onkyo. You've been warned!!

I've had no issues with my TX-NR509 Onkyo receiver and haven't seen reliability flagged as an issue in audio magazines. For reasons you cite, I will not buy anything JVC, but Amazon is a good source as long as you filter out the units that were defective to begin with. No manufacturer is 100%.

bsdcat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsdcat
elliedan wrote:Sorry, former audiophile here out of the game for a decade or so needing some clarification: It sounds as though you are suggesting it will at least convert and 'send over' the composite or component input video signal on the HDMI output. The manual doesn't make it seem that this is the case, but maybe it's a given with these 'newfangled' receivers.

Page 57 of the English manual says that it will send over exactly what you put in. If you connect a VCR with RCA cables, you have to connect RCA cables from the receiver to your TV. Sorry, the other person was incorrect.

skink24

quality posts: 2 Private Messages skink24
mnerd wrote:I have a different model Onkyo 3D ready receiver, the 308, and its been working great. Just use it to drive just a pair of real speakers, but that's because I live in a tiny apartment.

If I had a need for a new receiver I'd jump on this one.

Not sure if they are "what they used to be", but I have an Onkyo power receiver that I purchased in 1991, and I use it everyday.

Without exagerration (I thought long and hard about the math), I estimate that there have been no more than 300 days since my purchase in 1991 that I have NOT powered this amp up. It has traveled with me through high school, college, and into my adult years. Never a problem, same original remote. Onkyo TX-904. If it ever dies, I will most definitely try another...Cheers

maguder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maguder
3z3vh wrote:As the gentleman with the Parasound Amp, you will have the same issue. This unit does not offer a line-level output for all channels. It only offers a line-level subwoofer output, and speaker level output for each channel. You will not have a way to plug this into your speaker system. Depending how your system handles working without the speakers plugged into it though, you may be able to use the subwoofer output to plug into your subwoofer, and just plug all of the speakers directly into this amp (instead of the back of the sub), giving you the full 5.1 audio that you aren't getting on your current setup (which only uses a stereo output/input).

Not sure if that's totally correct. Current receiver (Kenwood, model # unknown) is about 8-10 years old, (so not 5.1) has connections for front, center, and rear, but not sub woofer. Only the front speakers run through the sub. I previously purchased a Yamaha 5.1 unit connected everything directly to the receiver, using an RCA connection with Y for the sub. The unit would not send sound to the speakers (impedance was set at 8 ohms to match speakers). I assumed unit was defective, or incompatible so returned it. Woot will not accept returns on buyer's error, so I'm trying to determine if this receiver will work with current speakers. Any advice will be appreciated.

The Tim

quality posts: 31 Private Messages The Tim

If I hadn't just bought a nicer Onkyo (the TX-NR509) for $128 on Amazon (yes, really), I would probably be all over this.

60W per channel is a little weak, but this receiver is packed with great features, and it's tough to beat the price (unless you get really lucky by timing Amazon's crazy automated price drops).

sdblair

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sdblair
aderose1 wrote:The 120V-only option is a deal killer for me. Planned on using this abroad. Unfortunate.

I haven't seen any AV receivers that are 120/240 switchable. I took my Sony to France and had a 500W step-up transforer for it. After the Xformer died (and they inevitably do), I got an Onkyou locally.

Had to sell it sice it was 240 only. THe new Denon I bought in the US is 120 only.

So I haven't done any research, but the anecdotal evidence is that dual volt AVRs sre not common.

Woot

digordiex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages digordiex

Son bought this for me for christmas, paid 239.00 for receiver and speakers/sub. Above avg user sounds great in my family room. connected my 60" plasma, Cable box and blue-ray player all HDMI plug and play. Great sound, very reliable excellent price!!! On screen set up to for speaker output and sub. Lots of possibilities for RCA, HDMI connections and USB. I have no complaints about this system.

jepp114

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jepp114
mjjohnstonjr wrote:I think only the hdmi ins come through the hdmi out. There is also component in and out, so I don't think it will upconvert like you hope.

It doesn't convert, confirmed in the manual:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/393188/Onkyo-Ht-Rc430.html?page=57#manual

bk00

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bk00

I'm pretty sure this is the same receiver that comes in the 5.1 HTIB bundle HT-3500.

It's a good receiver, plenty loud. Lots of HDMI inputs. It doesn't convert from analog->digital though, so if you have a component/composite input you can only output it via component/composite not HDMI.

The iPod interface is decent. Wish it was a little more modern looking, but whatev. Works well.

johaan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johaan

OK, I bit on this. My 13 year old Technics SA-DX940 refurb did not owe me a dime, but been wanting to replace it because it runs so bloody hot.

I don't run my system very loud at all. Hoping this proves to be a nice little upgrade.

petespaker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages petespaker

I would assume that I could hook up multiple HDMI sources and feed an older TV with component inputs with this receiver.

True? False? Anyone know for sure?

sgm-co

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sgm-co

Well I had budgeted for a Dyson Vacuum, but this receiver takes priority to match with my new 60" plasma. Inexpensive and with a two year warranty. Excellent!!!

gesnerj59

quality posts: 9 Private Messages gesnerj59

If you're looking for a good receiver in an entry level model with 5.1 surround, this is an excellent deal at a very affordable price. I love my Onkyo SR607 and while this isn't nearly what I have, it's a great deal for the price. I've only had one issue with mine in three years and Onkyo paid for the repairs. It was my fault for not providing adequate room for heat dissipation, but they covered it no problem. If I needed a second receiver for a play room or where ever, I would snatch this up and probably add the 20 dollar extended warranty...

Get it if you need it!!!

xxooss

quality posts: 12 Private Messages xxooss

Well in my humble opinion the THD is way to high on this receiver. I mean even back in the day the Technics stuff is all I bought because their THD on most all was .0001 THD. Not sure why the difference...maybe it costs more to get a lower THD? Not sure since Technics was always very reasonable on price...

buscheag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buscheag
xxooss wrote:Well in my humble opinion the THD is way to high on this receiver. I mean even back in the day the Technics stuff is all I bought because their THD on most all was .0001 THD. Not sure why the difference...maybe it costs more to get a lower THD? Not sure since Technics was always very reasonable on price...

I wondered this, too.

Oout of curiousity, I looked up my old Yamaha HTR-5240 (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-5240_black__u/?mode=model)

and its THD is listed as 0.06%. This Onkyo is listed as 0.7%. can that be right? is that apples to apples? Thats ~11X higher.

Should this concern me?

dontadow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dontadow

I hate woot, I pulled the trigger. I had been looking for a receiver for a month and I missed a great one they had a few weeks ago on moofi. Glad this one came on.

buscheag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buscheag
dontadow wrote:I hate woot...

confirmed.

100+ woots.

evilmeowser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evilmeowser
ndk0911 wrote:Oh god how i want one of these. I have been obsessing over a A/V receiver for a little over a year now and it seems my wife cant take a hint. Plus she wont let me buy one because she thinks it's a waste of money. D:

The Tom Leykis Show
blowmeuptom.com

commence the de-pussification..

I just saved your life buddy. You owe me a beer.