buscheag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buscheag
buscheag wrote:I wondered this, too.

Oout of curiousity, I looked up my old Yamaha HTR-5240 (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-5240_black__u/?mode=model)

and its THD is listed as 0.06%. This Onkyo is listed as 0.7%. can that be right? is that apples to apples? Thats ~11X higher.

Should this concern me?

Actually, this Onkyo's THD+N is 0.08%. So, maybe thats the real apples to apples?

xxooss

quality posts: 12 Private Messages xxooss

Oout of curiousity, I looked up my old Yamaha HTR-5240 (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-5240_black__u/?mode=model)

and its THD is listed as 0.06%. This Onkyo is listed as 0.7%. can that be right? is that apples to apples? Thats ~11X higher.

Should this concern me?

Yes it is correct. I was told a long time ago byu a very smart man that THD was the deciding factor on all of his audio buys. I found that by always trying to get stuff with the lowest THD always was the better sounding/performing item.

fstopdigital

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fstopdigital
buscheag wrote:Actually, the THD+N is 0.08%. So, maybe thats the real apples to apples?

what's THD?

All I know is, I have an Xbox and a PS3 hooked up to this, and at a little above half power it's room-shakingly loud with very good clarity and directionality.

I also don't have to constantly turn the system up to hear dialog in high dynamic range audio movies either.

I got the full package with the onkyo 5.1 speakers for something like $239 on amazon

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid
cjmoran wrote:Stick with what you have, it's a better receiver. You got a screaming deal if you only paid $79.

Thanks for the feedback. I was really lucky. I went to BestBuy's website and ordered a "store only clearance" item, the VSK-821K. I received the confirmation that it was ready for pick up. I went a few days after Xmas and the nice lady behind the counter spent about 20 minutes looking for it. She could never find it. She apologized and said she would be right back. She came back with a large box and said she asked the manager if I could have the newer model (VSX-822K) for the same price. She did a price adjustment from 389.99 to 74.99. I don't know if there is that much of a difference between the models but when I got home and looked at the receipt, I about pooped my pants.

Suck it, Trebek.

yotadriver328

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yotadriver328

Trigger pulled. This will replace my aging Harmon Kardon, which has been great, but I'm tired of only having HDMI pass through. What a pain. My HK is only 30w per channel but is more than adequate so I'm sure this Onkyo will be fine.

ayesquiddy

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ayesquiddy
ghostofdavid wrote:Two Questions!

1. What kind of speakers can one recommend (for a slick deal) to connect to this receiver? Also, a sub.

Can't speak for others, but my answer to both is a small California company, Hsu Research. Truly outstanding subs at a wide variety of prices, both powered and not. I have an older VTF-2, incredibly musical (way better than almost anything else anywhere near the price, most of which are built to make big happy explody sounds and dinosaur stomps).

And for speakers, give Hsu's bookshelf model a try, the HB-1. A friend got them and was amazed.

Plenty of reviews online.

mikeweyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeweyer

Good luck getting service from Onkyo, maybe not an issue for a cheap receiver. Those features come at a price, mainly cheap components. Google tx-nr3007 problems to get a look at onkyos service level

yotadriver328

And for speakers, give Hsu's bookshelf model a try, the HB-1. A friend got them and was amazed.

Plenty of reviews online.[/quote]

How would you compare the HB-1 to the Polk Audio monitor series 50?

wdog119

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wdog119

In for 1. I will be upgrading from a Pioneer HTS-GS1. That thing has been a great little setup. Sadly no HDMI's on it, so it has to go. I'll probably use the 5 speakers from that and then pick up a monoprice sub. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090602&p_id=8248&seq=1&format=2 has some really good reviews. I'm not looking to blow the doors of my house...just something that will get the job done and I don't have to spend too much.

electricblue404

quality posts: 2 Private Messages electricblue404

I've owned several Onkyo stereos with zero problems.

Got a TX-8255 (stereo with 50W/channel, but excellent sound quality) that powers a couple Martin Logan electrostatics very nicely. It's loud enough to fill the house with sound. I've had it for around 4 years and have gotten thousands of hours use out of it so far.

I love that 8255 so much I got a CS-445 (CD mini system), and that has been running every day for a year with no problems. Sound quality is also great, although probably limited by the throwaway speakers that come with the CS-445.

Loved the previous two stereos so much I got an iOnly dock off woot a while back. It's pretty strong on the bass for my taste, but sounds good for the $80 I paid for it.

In all, Onkyo puts out audiophile-quality gear at mid-entry level prices.

At $130, I got one of these for the living room. Might get another to replace the 8255 so I can have a builtin HDMI switch.

diablokicks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diablokicks

For anyone who wants to use wireless with this, you can buy Onkyo's Dangle, OR you can buy TP-Link TL-WN722N 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Lan Adapter. People on amazon say this works better than the Onkyo Dangle. Just an FYI

What you've bought from Woot:
Keyring Breathalyzer – 2 Pack, Woot-Off Lights with Screaming Monkey, Microgear Mini RC Helicopter, Scene It?, Random Crap, Victory Wax, Little Giant 15 Foot Ladder System, Philips Prestigo 12 Device Universal Remote, Random Crap - Level 6, Dyson DC28 Animal Upright Vacuum, Dyson DC25 Upright Ball Vacuum, Travelon Waterproof Digital Camera/Phone Pouch.

Tsonomi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tsonomi

This ONKYO Receiver has a lot of treats for you guys. 60 watts per channel should be plenty, it'll still make you hard of hearing if you crank it up too high. All the connections that most would need. The USB port will play your music on a thumb drive. Put your faves on a drive or even catagorize it by types of music. This is the future and if you use the right format, it'll blow those IPUDs away in sound quality. The price is right with all the connections. I'm IN.

ayesquiddy

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ayesquiddy
yotadriver328 wrote:How would you compare the HB-1 to the Polk Audio monitor series 50?

I haven't heard that model, but I'll give you my impression (and let's keep in mind that nobody's ears are exactly alike).

Polk are good value, and wouldn't be a mistake. And they're floor standing, not bookshelf, so your installation situation might push you toward one or the other.

For sound quality, I'd expect comparable bass (getting you down around 60 hz, with perhaps a slight edge to the Hsu given some reviews I read about the Polks). And the Hsu's horn tweeter should outperform the Polks, which a few reviews describe as slightly harsh.

But either way, we're not talking big money, and the value isn't bad. The reviews definitely seem to favor the HB-1 as far as I can tell.

If you're at a Best Buy, Polk will outperform almost anything else they sell, but I think you'll do better with the Hsu's.

spykid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spykid

is this worth getting if i was planning on getting something on craigslist (shooting for less than $100)? I do need the HDMI and those are a bit harder to find used..

yotadriver328

ayesquiddy wrote:I haven't heard that model, but I'll give you my impression (and let's keep in mind that nobody's ears are exactly alike).

Polk are good value, and wouldn't be a mistake. And they're floor standing, not bookshelf, so your installation situation might push you toward one or the other.

For sound quality, I'd expect comparable bass (getting you down around 60 hz, with perhaps a slight edge to the Hsu given some reviews I read about the Polks). And the Hsu's horn tweeter should outperform the Polks, which a few reviews describe as slightly harsh.

But either way, we're not talking big money, and the value isn't bad. The reviews definitely seem to favor the HB-1 as far as I can tell.

If you're at a Best Buy, Polk will outperform almost anything else they sell, but I think you'll do better with the Hsu's.

Thanks for the thoughts. I currently have the Polks but I was considering something smaller. I just don't want to downgrade as well as downsize. The HB-1 might be a good replacement for me. thanks.

flatroader

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flatroader

They don't specify if the wattage is RMS (average) or PK (peak) if it is average wattage then you multiply the "per channel" wattage or total with a multiplier of roughly 1.4 if it peak wattage they are giving to find the average you use the multiplier of roughly .7. Peak wattage in not sustainable where as RMS is. Now go to any store and try to match the output resistance of 3 ohms for the front channel ...4 ohms is the best you can hope for. Speakers usually come in 4,8 and 16 ohms. A slight mismatch is not a biggie but, get too far off and somethings going to give out...usually the channel that has the most mismatched speakers. Just my 2 cents. I have a 4 channel kenwood that has a switch to gang the channels into 2 clear channels. The real test of an amp it not what it sounds like loud but, how the bass sounds soft. Ever see a loudness switch on a stereo .... that's not like passing gear for your amp, it's to boost the low freq. at low volume when they tend to drop off first. But, why am I telling you this ...yer gonna buy it anyway...lol

bullfrogj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bullfrogj

Would this be a good fit for the Energy Take 5 Classic speakers I got a while back from woot? http://www.woot.com/offers/energy-take-classic-5pc-speaker-system

Mostly interested in whether they are functionally compatible more than how they'll sound, as my craigslist receiver blew out shortly after I got these speakers.

flatroader

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flatroader

THD means Total Harmonic Distortion Where 100% is total distorted sound at all levels and freq. Now knowing that ....you mean you can hear so well that you can differentiate 1/100 of a percent distortion .... you probably can hear dog whistles...lol

pflight400

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pflight400
evilmeowser wrote:The Tom Leykis Show
blowmeuptom.com

commence the de-pussification..

I just saved your life buddy. You owe me a beer.

Lol...thanks

chrisautrey

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chrisautrey
lyman123 wrote:I've had 2 recent Onkyo's and they hae both cooked themselves. The last one cooked its HDMI board in 4 years.

Mine fried itself after just a few years a well. I was happy with the receiver and features, but don't really trust the brand reliability now. It's a good price, but if you do buy it go in expecting to have to replace it way sooner than you would expect.

tigeyoung

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tigeyoung

In for one for my home office. I bought an Onkyo TX-866 in 1990, and it is still working great after 22 years. It took some heavy abuse in my college days, but never missed a beat.

Holysin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Holysin
glcolvin wrote:Yup, I have a VSX-1015TX and wouldn't trade it for anything. Over 1000 watts...

Um, the VSX-1015TX isn't >1kw it's 840w if you just multiply the claimed 120wpc x 7. However as it is rated to draw <500W of currant, I suspect it is closer to at most 100w x 7, and possibly as low as 80w x 7. I had an elite 36TX that served me well for a decade, the 1015 is if memory serves the 53 (56tx?) rebadged with a few features removed, but the same amp. so It should work nicely for most small to mid rooms unless you get power hungry speakers.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

Should this concern me?

Let's really compare apples to apples. I'm going to do the best I came using my phone for this post...
This receiver is providing real world uninflated specs. The ratings are with both front channels driven simultaneously. The Yamaha does not. All amplifier power supplies have their voltages drop when the amplifier is using power. As well, amplifier distortion rises significantly higher when the voltage goes down. Specs are generally inflated and are described with one channel driven at a time. Who listens to one channel at a time?

As well, most amplifier specs (including Yamaha) rate their THD @ 1 watt! AND measured at 1 kHz, NOT from 20Hz to 20kHz! At least this one rates it at half power (higher end equipment rate it at full power).
This 60W per channel receiver will likely delivers 4 times more power than a typically overrated 150W per channel Pioneer or any other mainstream popular receiver.
This is a spectacular deal.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit

This will highlight my TV ignorance and I am assuming the answer is no BUT...

If I was given a beautiful LED TV with the fatal flaw of not having an audio out... would hooking up this badboy allow me to use speakers with my tv?

Ringo4422

oakenspirit wrote:This will highlight my TV ignorance and I am assuming the answer is no BUT...

If I was given a beautiful LED TV with the fatal flaw of not having an audio out... would hooking up this badboy allow me to use speakers with my tv?

Most likely yes using the audio out RCA connections of the TV.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

Holysin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Holysin
oakenspirit wrote:This will highlight my TV ignorance and I am assuming the answer is no BUT...

Only if you have a cable box / disc player. Then you'd hook the cable/disc to this receiver (via hdmi in) then this receiver to the TV (via hdmi out) and well, you'd need speakers...

If you're watching stuff on the tv via it's built in OTA receiver, then you're SOL if the tv doesn't have any sort of audio out (even headphones) available.

oakenspirit

Ringo4422 wrote:Most likely yes using the audio out RCA connections of the TV.

See... I think those are ins too... has 3 hdmi, and once set of RCA/Comp... nothing seems to be output

Ringo4422

oakenspirit wrote:See... I think those are ins too... has 3 hdmi, and once set of RCA/Comp... nothing seems to be output

If you are using a cable or satellite box just feed the HDMI out from the box into the receiver. The audio will go straight through the receiver as it would using DVD, etc.

oakenspirit

Ringo4422 wrote:If you are using a cable or satellite box just feed the HDMI out from the box into the receiver. The audio will go straight through the receiver as it would using DVD, etc.

Thanks for the help everyone... went to pull the trigger and... SOLD OUT>>>. oh well

crichmiller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crichmiller

Me too! Crud. That's what I get for wasting time reading all the comments. ;P

stanishr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stanishr

Was ready to go,but it's already gone. Maybe next time?

Hank

mirrorvision

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mirrorvision

New TV only has a digital output out. Have to retire the 80's model receiver and upgrade to this awesome beast!

pakmansi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pakmansi

Will this work well with the Onkyo SKS-HT520 speakers that I currently have?

zenje

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zenje
aderose1 wrote:The 120V-only option is a deal killer for me. Planned on using this abroad. Unfortunate.

Same here. They should all have 110-240v.

alecution

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alecution

Wow you did get a good price. I would love to have the internet channels! rats! Wish I would of saw this back in Dec.

The Tim wrote:If I hadn't just bought a nicer Onkyo (the TX-NR509) for $128 on Amazon (yes, really), I would probably be all over this.

60W per channel is a little weak, but this receiver is packed with great features, and it's tough to beat the price (unless you get really lucky by timing Amazon's crazy automated price drops).

RMayer42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RMayer42

Wow...I just got mine. Haven't opened the box yet, but that's some amazing $5 shipping.

DanPopov

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DanPopov
RMayer42 wrote:Wow...I just got mine. Haven't opened the box yet, but that's some amazing $5 shipping.

I had just checked status of mine and was surprised to see it should be delivered tomorrow, but now seeing this I'm jealous!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
mikeweyer wrote:Good luck getting service from Onkyo, maybe not an issue for a cheap receiver. Those features come at a price, mainly cheap components. Google tx-nr3007 problems to get a look at onkyos service level

If you have any problems with them, support@woot.com will help you out.

I'm just hanging out, really.

GetITCdot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GetITCdot

Just got mine today, going to set this baby up and see how she goes

Hey guess what?... I hate you.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
GetITCdot wrote:Just got mine today, going to set this baby up and see how she goes

We're rooting for you.

I'm just hanging out, really.