barbboy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages barbboy

I'm thinking this will be perfect for my kids Ski Club.

boehmap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boehmap
jrs1980 wrote:Finally, Tony Stark's Iron Man technology is available to the common man!

For the most memorable Halloween ever.

NKCartmell

quality posts: 3 Private Messages NKCartmell
adamgoss wrote:Ok take it from me I got this thing 2 months ago it is a super cheep go pro for kids the mount broke first jump I did on my dirt bike if u guys relay won't a action cam that's good I feal better then go pro get the JVC adixxion it's has a faster frame rate the go pro liter then go pro and no housing to fog up take it from me stay away from this cam it's junk

If you aren't using your spelling and grammar ironically, then I hope you're six. And what kind of parents give their six-year-old an HD camera and a dirtbike??

StanleyS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS
chenomenon wrote:How can one trust that purchasing today is a good deal?

This is exactly the reason I get so anxious purchasing a quart of milk. I'm afraid the price may drop by 10 cents tomorrow and I'll have buyer's regret.

schott1984

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schott1984
zr8le wrote:Thank you for your effort and offer.

Can you use youtube? Your vimeo doesn't go fullscreen correctly.

Can you check the settings, set for highest quality, and pan something outside for 10-30 secs in 720p?

A raw file would be perfect.

Raw file and youtube are mutually exclusive, lol.

go2fast

quality posts: 0 Private Messages go2fast
NKCartmell wrote:If you aren't using your spelling and grammar ironically, then I hope you're six. And what kind of parents give their six-year-old an HD camera and a dirtbike??

My thoughts exactly. It was a painful read.

dodd0032

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dodd0032

Does anyone know the physical dimensions of the camera itself? I have seen brides put a GoPro in their bouquet, and I might get this for that purpose if it isn't too big...

Sergeoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sergeoo
dodd0032 wrote:Does anyone know the physical dimensions of the camera itself? I have seen brides put a GoPro in their bouquet, and I might get this for that purpose if it isn't too big...

From the mfgr's web site below...but it's worthless because it appears to show the weight and dimensions of the clamshell package including contents...not the camera itself.

http://actionshotcam.com/shop/action-shot-hd-camera/

Additional Information
Weight 2.5 lbs
Dimensions 6 × 11.5 × 3.2 in
Editing Software
Mac & PC Compatible

adr5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages adr5

Target was closing these out. You can probably still find them at some of their stores. That target stocked these in the toy aisle says a lot about the quality. I would no bother for that reason alone. This really belongs in the Kids! tab, not the Woot! tab.

[MOD: Target sells the SD version. This is 720p HD.]

adr5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages adr5
shoulda2 wrote:Very interested in one of these, can someone comment on how tough the camera is? The GoPros are waterproof and some people strap them on to paintball helmets/guns ... would this hold up to that sort of impact?

Shop around for a used GoPro2. With the release of the GoPro3 the price on the GoPro2 has dropped. If you watch reality shows you will see that they use GoPros for shots where the camera might get lost or damaged. The video produced by the GoPro is quite good.

dodd0032

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dodd0032
Sergeoo wrote:From the mfgr's web site below...but it's worthless because it appears to show the weight and dimensions of the clamshell package including contents...not the camera itself.

http://actionshotcam.com/shop/action-shot-hd-camera/

Additional Information
Weight 2.5 lbs
Dimensions 6 × 11.5 × 3.2 in
Editing Software
Mac & PC Compatible

Thanks! I saw those on the Target website, but those dimensions didn't really make sense, I agree it looks like the clamshell. But from a very rough estimate looking at the packaging in the picture at Target, I am guessing around 2.5-3 inches in diameter?

zentactics

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zentactics
dodd0032 wrote:Thanks! I saw those on the Target website, but those dimensions didn't really make sense, I agree it looks like the clamshell. But from a very rough estimate looking at the packaging in the picture at Target, I am guessing around 2.5-3 inches in diameter?

It's almost the exact same diameter as a soda can and about 1" deep without the various mounts.

theprettiestkate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theprettiestkate

fyi, more sample vids are up on YouTube for 'quality.'

bloodypenguin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bloodypenguin
floridapctutor wrote:Can this be used as a dashcam?

I was wondering the same thing...

Been wanting a cheap dash cam.

Dozer11

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Dozer11

Looks great for a cheap HD action camera! Considering I wouldn't give a kid a GoPro or Contour, this would be great!

Does this mean that the Action Shot didn't do so well? I'm a fan of Rob Dyrdek and I know he's part of this project. I guess there can only be room for a handful of action cameras.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

adr5 wrote:Target was closing these out. You can probably still find them at some of their stores. That target stocked these in the toy aisle says a lot about the quality. I would no bother for that reason alone. This really belongs in the Kids! tab, not the Woot! tab.

The Target and any other retail version is SD. We are the only one selling the HD version at this time.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Inacurate

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Inacurate

Anyone know if there's software available to turn this into some sort of security camera?

Such software would need to be able to turn on and off recording by say time or motion in the view.

Apologies of this has been asked/answered. I only did a really quick search.

vtwooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vtwooter

Its a toy .. Bring on the Hero2

esox72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages esox72

I'd like to use this for capturing pike fishing. Is the included adjustable mount suitable for capturing an activity like I mentioned?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

So let's think up some non-sport activities where this could be fun.

On the cat has been mentioned
On the dog needs some work (woot video)

R/C car
Razor Scooter
Tricycle
Bicycle
Your toddler
Karate practice
Marching band

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dexi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dexi
Inacurate wrote:Anyone know if there's software available to turn this into some sort of security camera?

Such software would need to be able to turn on and off recording by say time or motion in the view.

Apologies of this has been asked/answered. I only did a really quick search.

Most probably not. But you can do that with any $20 webcam and orb.com's orbsecure

dexi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dexi
bloodypenguin wrote:I was wondering the same thing...

Been wanting a cheap dash cam.

If you can figure out how to mount it, yeah.

arevan

quality posts: 9 Private Messages arevan

Can you check the settings, set for highest quality, and pan something outside for 10-30 secs in 720p?

I finished the video, it has the panning you requested and I took some dash cam video also. I have to upload the video at work, so it should be up around 4:30 (Central time). I'll try and upload the other one to youtube as well.

amytobol

quality posts: 3 Private Messages amytobol
pukeboy wrote:I think it looks more like an eye from a Dalek.

My first thought was HAL 9000's eye.

"I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that."

rixcopter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rixcopter

As the Son of a lifetime Private Investigator and a PI myself for many years, "toys" like this are all I use. Why pay $2,000.00 for a nifty little device that will be broken, stolen, or even forgotten, in the heat of battle. This little tractor does fine in my garden. Judges don't care about the source of allowable evidence.

EastPhilly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EastPhilly
theprettiestkate wrote:fyi, more sample vids are up on YouTube for 'quality.'

Any specific titles? I couldn't find any besides this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IbCOypc7yU

arevan

quality posts: 9 Private Messages arevan

My first video on YouTube:

The video I just did:

taurine

quality posts: 5 Private Messages taurine

I wish they would build segment/loop recording into more of these cameras. Then they could be used as car dashboard cameras as well. A lot of these cameras even come with car/bike attachment accessories, so it would just make sense.

dudek

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dudek
chenomenon wrote:I purchased it the last time at $59.99. Is there any policy at Woot! that states what happens if a repeat product is selling at a lower price? Is there a price guarantee on Woot for Woot?

They guarantee that if it over goes on sale at Woot for a lower price, you can buy another one in addition at the new price.

How can one trust that purchasing today is a good deal?

You're so funny!

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
taurine wrote:I wish they would build segment/loop recording into more of these cameras. Then they could be used as car dashboard cameras as well. A lot of these cameras even come with car/bike attachment accessories, so it would just make sense.

The often woot sold Swann Freestyle HD will let you loop the video. It costs twice as much as this one but is easily twice as good, but still much less than a GoPro.

flyrodder68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flyrodder68

You get what you pay for. It's by far not as good as a GoPro HD. Sound quality and definition is not consistent. Go with the GoPro HD and be happy. If you're on a tight budget and can't afford the GoPro HD, be patient, start saving and get yourself the good stuff. I've learned my lesson.

DareMk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DareMk

Monoprice just announced their entry into the action cam arena. Design kinda looks like the Contour. Supposed to start shipping late Feb.
http://gizmodo.com/5974699/heres-your-first-look-at-monoprices-insanely-cheap-action-camera

DaveInSoCal

quality posts: 17 Private Messages DaveInSoCal
ThunderThighs wrote:So let's think up some non-sport activities where this could be fun.

On the cat has been mentioned
On the dog needs some work (woot video)

R/C car
Razor Scooter
Tricycle
Bicycle
Your toddler
Karate practice
Marching band

RC Helicopter
Dash Cam
Airplane cockpit
Oven, watching cupcakes bake

kidsforever

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kidsforever
EastPhilly wrote:Any specific titles? I couldn't find any besides this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IbCOypc7yU

just watched the video and the sign next to the road was very clear from quite a distance away on your utube.

MastaSquidge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MastaSquidge
NKCartmell wrote:If you aren't using your spelling and grammar ironically, then I hope you're six. And what kind of parents give their six-year-old an HD camera and a dirtbike??

This kind.

You would be surprised at how many lifelong motocross enthusiasts started at this age or younger.

Or this one.

xjufox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xjufox

Just my opinion since I have no experience with this camera but I do own a pin hole style video camera and I would not recommend it as anything close to serious equipment like GoPro, not even close.

This is more of a toy for kids, or low quality secondary video camera but defensibly not a primary.

I do have a GoPro Hero3 Black edition, but that's WAY WAY more expensive and probably by now i'm spoiled by it though it does disappoint when video is corrupt because you ran out of space on sd or because battery died (happened circa 4 times and made me furious).

good luck!

*05/01/2007 2x Toshiba USB Optical Scroll Mouse – 2 Pack
*08/22/2007 1x Microsoft Zune 30GB Digital Media Player White
*03/15/2008 1x Navigon N100 Pocket Loox Portable GPS
*09/02/2008 1x Kingston 2GB MicroSD Card with Adapter – 2 Pack
*10/05/2008 1x Sandisk Sansa e280 8GB Media Player

kdriscoll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdriscoll

I got this on the last woot. Max file size is just less than 4GB, data rate is about 13Mbps, so the HD video has a max length of 49 min, but a new file is automatically opened to continue recording. Don't buy this for anything but HD. The lower-res modes also record at 13Gbps. The VGA mode uses up the 4GB file size faster because it has twice the frame rate of HD. Weird.

denisjor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages denisjor
go2fast wrote:My thoughts exactly. It was a painful read.

Ohmygosh!Ohmygosh!Ohmygosh!!!...you are very right!

MastaSquidge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MastaSquidge
xjufox wrote:Just my opinion since I have no experience with this camera but I do own a pin hole style video camera and I would not recommend it as anything close to serious equipment like GoPro, not even close.

This is more of a toy for kids, or low quality secondary video camera but defensibly not a primary.

I do have a GoPro Hero3 Black edition, but that's WAY WAY more expensive and probably by now i'm spoiled by it though it does disappoint when video is corrupt because you ran out of space on sd or because battery died (happened circa 4 times and made me furious).

good luck!

If you have the coin, and clearly you do... you can get really nice USB battery packs that add tons of life to the camera's run time.

If the gopro will charge while recording that is, my ContourGPS does, so I would hope so...

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
shar4ie wrote:haha, this would be perfect for someone who wants to build a robotic dalek, and see where it went.

EPIC IDEA.