john174

quality posts: 0 Private Messages john174
hunterlj wrote:Stupid question, can I use it as only a 2D tv? I dont really need a 3D tv but I cant find it stated anywhere that I can use it as a 2D....

One review on Amazon mentioned needing 3D to 2D glasses. Considering Im already bespectacled I dont want to have to wear 2 sets of glasses..

Yes, the 47" can be used for 2D only, with a very decent picture. The 47" and all 3D tvs are all 2D in normal mode.
The 42" won't have as good black contrast but is 2D only.
As for the glasses problem, yes you would have to double stack your glasses for the 3D effect with any 3D tv.

cjmoran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cjmoran
mswake wrote:How much of a difference does 60 v. 120 Hz make in a 42 inch tv? I am thinking of getting this for the basement where my boys play on the wii and I send my wife when she wants to watch English period pieces.

The size of the screen makes no difference really, only that you'll notice it more, when it happens, on a bigger screen. 60hz is more than fine for most people. You'll only see some blur on very, very fast action. I'd go for the 120hz if I had a choice but I wouldn't pay considerably more for it.

Rock

cjmoran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cjmoran
mikem709 wrote:I'd rather take the advice of 542 customer reviews about this TV who give it 4.7/5 stars on average than one CNET editor.

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E3D470VX-47-Inch-Theater-Internet/dp/B004YAVDSA

CNET reviews slam any TV under $5,000. You really need to take their reviews with a grain of salt and do a pro/con comparison leveraged against price. Always do a web search on the model number and you'll usually get a better idea of the performance and other issues, if any.

Rock

palehorse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages palehorse

If you purchase a Vizio, you'll want one from their XVT series of screens -- they are easily Top 5 in the world for picture quality... seriously impressive!

However, the rest of their HDTV lineup simply doesn't compare to Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, or LG...

-ph-

jmg5364

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmg5364
mikem709 wrote:I'd rather take the advice of 542 customer reviews about this TV who give it 4.7/5 stars on average than one CNET editor.

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E3D470VX-47-Inch-Theater-Internet/dp/B004YAVDSA

Not sure how CNET does their ratings but I have found them not as accurate as my own review after receiving the product.

bobdo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bobdo
sugarpearls wrote:On Square Trade's website, it looks like you can only purchase warranties on TVs purchased "new." Arrgh . . . this is absolutely the model I want (after lots of research and review-scouring, I was originally going to get the 42" version of the 3D model from CostCo), definitely would've pulled the trigger on the 47" if a longer warranty was available. Who knows -- I'm hesitant, but I might still go for it.

That's strange...I bought 2 refurbished Vizios here and have 2 squaretrade warranties on them. Their site used to let you distinguish between new and refurbished - maybe they took a bath due to too many reburbished problems? My refurbished Vizios are still going strong after a year+

Maybe your credit card will give you some warranty protection? (that may only be with new items too though)

jimshoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimshoe

is there a telephone number for woot?

PocketBrain

quality posts: 47 Private Messages PocketBrain
casey00001 wrote:Rule of thumb. The only time to buy a new TV is on Black Friday for the best price. The only exception to that is if your TV breaks altogether.

So, as part of your divorce settlement, you are not allowed to watch TV until November?

john174

quality posts: 0 Private Messages john174
palehorse wrote:If you purchase a Vizio, you'll want one from their XVT series of screens -- they are easily Top 5 in the world for picture quality... seriously impressive!

However, the rest of their HDTV lineup simply doesn't compare to Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, or LG...

Yes, the XVT series are great, but so isn't the price compared to the 47" here. I wouldn't buy the 42" as it is the lowest model a VO series, but the VX series isn't bad at all, it has a sharp picture and good contrast also 3D. Can't beat the low $ price anywhere, as of now.

Soyle Mycelf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Soyle Mycelf
sog wrote:is that screencap on the TV from a movie or something?

Found the image here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/belarusian/6999428453/in/photostream/

It says some rights reserved, so I sure hope Woot got clearance before using this image for commercial purposes.

srubery

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srubery

Kingdom of Heaven I just saw it awesome movie. THe dude with the mask on is the king of Jerusalem!

Soyle Mycelf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Soyle Mycelf
srubery wrote:Kingdom of Heaven I just saw it awesome movie. THe dude with the mask on is the king of Jerusalem!

Are you thinking of this: http://litmatchfilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/KINGDOM_OF_HEAVEN_D1_169-757-e1272613946118.jpg

I don't believe that is the same mask

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
Soyle Mycelf wrote:Found the image here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/belarusian/6999428453/in/photostream/

It says some rights reserved, so I sure hope Woot got clearance before using this image for commercial purposes.

Hardcore Eastern European LARPers? Both awesome and hilarious.

Careful Woot, they use real weapons and put each other in the hospital all the time.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
jimshoe wrote:is there a telephone number for woot?

Hiya!
No there isn't. If you have an issue, please contact support@woot.com.

I'm just hanging out, really.

wootdougwoot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootdougwoot
ThreeT320 wrote:How do these truly compare to other HD TVs, say Samsung or LG?

I've seen Vizios running right next to Samsungs at Walmart, and it seems like the difference is night and day. They'll both be 1080p, and playing the same show, but the Samsung looks much clearer and sharper IMO.

Vizio owners, convince me.

It's funny you mentioned this. My bother's Visio took a dump on him. He went out and bought a Samsung to replaced it. Before we tossed out the Visio, we cracked it open to see what might be wrong. All the components insides said SAMSUNG!

We put it back together and it fired up again. Go figure...

Has anyone seen my velociraptor?

wootdougwoot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootdougwoot

Check out the refresh rates between these two sets. 120 hz for the 47" and 60hz for the 42".

I own a 60hz and regret it. 120 hz is the way to go. The sharpness drastically improves when you double it.

I think they are up to 240 hz. Talk about crazy sharp but, most will be pleased with the 120 hz.

Has anyone seen my velociraptor?

ad200

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ad200

Are there warranties offered on these TV's?

RonnyBoy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RonnyBoy
nebugeater wrote:Vizio sponsors the Rose Bowl. How could this TV be bad? !!!

Only if you're a Wisconsin Badger fan.

I joined on April 15, 2005, instead of working on my taxes. The hell with taxes.

RonnyBoy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RonnyBoy
wootdougwoot wrote:It's funny you mentioned this. My bother's Visio took a dump on him. He went out and bought a Samsung to replaced it. Before we tossed out the Visio, we cracked it open to see what might be wrong. All the components insides said SAMSUNG!

We put it back together and it fired up again. Go figure...

Cracked open my iPhone the other day ... labels inside said "formerly from Samsung."

I joined on April 15, 2005, instead of working on my taxes. The hell with taxes.

beckyreier

quality posts: 1 Private Messages beckyreier

Does woot offer a warranty?

exillinimj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages exillinimj

I have the 42". Everything is fine with it EXCEPT for the response rate. I would have been happier with 120Hz vs the 60Hz. Other than that, it is a decent budget priced TV. Currently $429 new at Target.

markmc27 wrote:I own the 42 inch version and I think your nuts. It is as good a TV as is out there.These TV's were mostly sold out last XMas for about $600-$700.

When I watch this TV with a blue Ray disk or with just a good DVD I am still stunned after more than a year. It has 120mghz so I notice no blurr. Sound is actually quite good which surprised me.

One FYI is I like a bright crisp picture.Some do not.They like their pictures to be less color bright.

Great TV!

bobdo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bobdo
beckyreier wrote:Does woot offer a warranty?

90 days...refurbished

So, Walmart offers this TV new for $100 more (the 47" inch,) with full one year warranty, and a lot of credit cards will add a year to that. But, everyone has to pay tax at Walmart...free in store pick up.

So new, with 2 year warranty, for $150 more (tennessee tax rate sucks)...what to do, what to do?

Oh and Walmart reviewers gave it an average 4.6 out of 5 stars with 374 reviews, so it's gotta be a good TV.

gate560

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gate560

It must depend where you live - I paid $649 (per receipt-thought it was less) for the refurbished 47" Viseo LED 3D 1080 120 Razor at Walmart a year ago - new was around $800. Comparison shopping at the time indicated it was a great deal and liked the matte screen and clarity better. I think the picture is awesome and sound is very good (and no glare)--BUT upgraded from tube so maybe not so good of a judge. It does shut off (sometimes resets) frequently (annoying) - don't know if that's common or because refurbished. Don't know that I'd recommend reburbished - but for me, for the size, quality and price (at the time), it was worth it. 3 month warranty only - so hope it lasts. Gets Netflix just fine. Good luck!

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
markmc27 wrote:I own the 42 inch version and I think your nuts. It is as good a TV as is out there.These TV's were mostly sold out last XMas for about $600-$700.

When I watch this TV with a blue Ray disk or with just a good DVD I am still stunned after more than a year. It has 120mghz so I notice no blurr. Sound is actually quite good which surprised me.

One FYI is I like a bright crisp picture.Some do not.They like their pictures to be less color bright.

Great TV!

Wow, this review is full of misinformation:
-As has been pointed out, the 42" offered here has a 60 Hz refresh rate, which means there will be some noticeable (but not necessarily obvious) blur with fast-motion.
-What you are referring to with "bright crisp colors" is almost certainly the brightness and contrast settings of the tv, and has little to do with tv quality. Things like color range/accuracy and depth of blacks actually are affected by tv quality and would almost certainly be better on a similar Samsung (or Sony, etc.).
-There most certainly are higher-quality tv's out there, but you will probably pay more for one. If you paid $600-700 for today's 42" you were ripped off, even if it was new.

celticspride34

quality posts: 0 Private Messages celticspride34

So I went to buy the 42 inch....It said my payment was declined....Then money was withdrawn from woot....I sent a support message....Anything else I can do?...

thomb3566

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thomb3566
casey00001 wrote:Rule of thumb. The only time to buy a new TV is on Black Friday for the best price. The only exception to that is if your TV breaks altogether.

Unfortunately this rule of thumb just isn't good advice.

Hot items like flat-screen televisions also become more expensive closer to Christmas, Decide's data found. The best holiday-season time to buy a flat-screen television is in October, says Mike Fridgen, Decide's chief executive.

The average price of a Samsung 46-inch "Professional" LCD television was $1,159 in October, according to Decide. On Black Friday, the same TV's average price was $1,355, the data found.

banaszek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages banaszek
thomb3566 wrote:Unfortunately this rule of thumb just isn't good advice.

Hot items like flat-screen televisions also become more expensive closer to Christmas, Decide's data found. The best holiday-season time to buy a flat-screen television is in October, says Mike Fridgen, Decide's chief executive.

The average price of a Samsung 46-inch "Professional" LCD television was $1,159 in October, according to Decide. On Black Friday, the same TV's average price was $1,355, the data found.

I see Decide gives it a rating of 79. Does anyone know what Decide has for a predicted price? Thanks!

banaszek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages banaszek

I just had this TV delivered by Amazon:
VIZIO E500i-A1 50-inch 1080P 120Hz LED Smart HDTV for $689.

Hmmm Wonder which is better...???

dmlayton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmlayton
bobdo wrote:90 days...refurbished

So, Walmart offers this TV new for $100 more (the 47" inch,) with full one year warranty, and a lot of credit cards will add a year to that. But, everyone has to pay tax at Walmart...free in store pick up.

So new, with 2 year warranty, for $150 more (tennessee tax rate sucks)...what to do, what to do?

Oh and Walmart reviewers gave it an average 4.6 out of 5 stars with 374 reviews, so it's gotta be a good TV.

For what it's worth, I believe you also get an angled wall mount over at Walmart.

phpeters87

quality posts: 8 Private Messages phpeters87
wootalyzer wrote:Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
VIZIO 42" or 47" 1080p LCD HDTV
$499.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

I can't comment on the 3D model, but I purchased a Refurbed Vizio 42" 120Hz LCD TV with LED backlighting 3.5 years ago and never an issue, the pic looks great and it's still running strong and looking as good or better than the Sammy's and the Sony's at 2x the price.

Of course, I paid $700.00 for it back in 2008 when new HDTV's of this size were going for $1,200, so I did get it at a good price, but not by current pricing standards.

Either way, Vizio is a top seller of HDTV's and they have a great price point as well as a great pic, warranty and CS

I think 3D is hype and won't be spending my money on a 3D TV when the time comes, but will be buying a Vizio HDTV

For reference, the model # of my Vizio TV is: SV420XVT1

If you search CNET reviews and others, the TV grades out highly.

ljlagnese

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ljlagnese

Anybody know what movie that is?

Aracos

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Aracos
Soyle Mycelf wrote:Found the image here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/belarusian/6999428453/in/photostream/

The picture is licensed under creative commons 2.0, they just have to attribute the work which they did on the bottom of the specs page.

hunterlj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hunterlj

So I bought this bad boy and got it today. Set it up, started watching netflix. And right off the bat I noticed 4 gray areas in the middle art of the screen (varying diameters from a few mm to 2 cm.) This isnt dirt or smudge considering it's on the inner part of the screen. And I also have something in the tv that looks like a small moth (small triangular) blocking part of the image.

As my first refurb tv Im really unhappy with it. I'd understand a dead pixel or two or a scratch on the housing but not 5 distinct issues on the screen.

Contacted Woot. Unfortunately I wont hear back from them by the time the 47 LG is gone...

rdermyer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rdermyer

Got mine today. The base does not reflect the base shown in the manual (4 screws instead of 6, not as long). Additionally, when I attached the TV to the base, it leaned forward, so the top was farther forward than the bottom. Is this intentional/normal? I have never seen a TV that does this, and our other Vizio is completely vertical.

rdermyer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rdermyer
rdermyer wrote:Got mine today. The base does not reflect the base shown in the manual (4 screws instead of 6, not as long). Additionally, when I attached the TV to the base, it leaned forward, so the top was farther forward than the bottom. Is this intentional/normal? I have never seen a TV that does this, and our other Vizio is completely vertical.

Never mind, I don't know how to align brackets with holes or realize warning signs when screws don't completely tighten.

PS, though, this TV is awesome. It can detect media that you have on your computer through WiFi and then play it on the TV! Like movies! Not even in the same room!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rdermyer wrote:Never mind, I don't know how to align brackets with holes or realize warning signs when screws don't completely tighten.

PS, though, this TV is awesome. It can detect media that you have on your computer through WiFi and then play it on the TV! Like movies! Not even in the same room!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Carlos8183

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Carlos8183

I received mine and apparently there is a problem with the 3D. The image does not align properly for the 3D its horrible.

How do I contact the warranty??