slightlystartled

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slightlystartled

Glad to see I'm not the only one who absolutely despises HP. The price looks good for the specs, but I don't want another dime of my money going to those people.

woodzter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages woodzter

I bought this on woot when it was 8 g ram and blue ray. It held up good and seemed like new. One thing though this is the only lap top I have owned where i could not type unless i deactivated the touch mouse pad. It just kept sensing my fingers and messing up my typing. I found a setting that deactivated the touch mouse pad if a real mouse was plugged in. the result I was always using a real mouse so that seemed kind of unnecessary. I've been on other laptops since then and have not had any problems so I'm sure it's the design. the 1 I'm using now has a lighted keyboard and I think that's worth paying more to get and it's not on this model I don't think.

lloyd woodward

titoman85

quality posts: 0 Private Messages titoman85

I have read many comments about how HP's are horrible machines, or this computer doesn't stand to others like it....well...I wanted to take moment and let everybody know:

I have had this exact laptop for many years now. I signed up for woot in 2009 for the sole purpose to buy it http://www.woot.com/offers/hp-pavilion-17-2ghz-core-2-duo-notebook

I had promised to NEVER buy an HP product (or compaq) due to how much trouble I have had with their PC's but at the price woot had it listed, and the the recent necessity I had for a laptop at the time, I purchased two on a whim.

One for myself and the other for my wife who had seemed interested in it.

I have a golden rule with computers: "If they do not last as long as it takes to pay it off, it's not worth it." This laptop is STILL running as perfect as it was the day it arrived on my doorstep from the woot-stork. I'd like to mention it outlasted the marriage to whom the second laptop was purchased for.

I'd like to personally speak on the durability of this machine. people like me are the reason the "life-proof" box for iphones (I usually go through 3 or 4 phones a year) Needless to say I am NOT kind to my electronics.

This laptop has given me few BSOD issues, but they have come up. I reformat it about once a year. I have added new components removed some, and has always said, "I hope this thing will still turn on when I'm done... because I have NO idea what I'm doing".

The battery took steamy dump a year ago, so when the connecter for the DC plug crapped out I had to hard-wire the computer itself to the power cable... and she survived the process. All of the keys are STILL in place (a common and REAL annoying problem for laptop owners, it doesn't over heat, the sound is amazing (and that's coming from somebody who has a ear for audio quality), the hinge for the display is still solid and tight, it's still whisper quite, and has NEVER overheated on me

It has survived four semesters of college, falling off of the hood of the roof of my car (a few times), being dropped, kicked, slammed, pounded, and it has finally made it's new home at the radio station I am now employed.

The Dell Pavilion dv7 laptop will remain to be the ONLY HP product I will purchase, as well as, the first choice in laptops.

I will still continue to use the original Dv7 that was purchased in May of 2009 as it is STILL running fine.

$500 for a computer that will outlast many that stand beside it and ahead it it BY FAR a great deal in my eyes. Thank you woot for this deal today, and for this deals predecessor three years ago.

my first woot.

(seemingly also funny this is my first comment as well)

Wyatt8

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Wyatt8

When I was battling with an HP "customer disrespect group" issue..
that had me on long holds, only to get someone reading from a script who's sole goal was to get me off the phone as quickly as possible, to keep their own personal phone stats up...

I did two things:
1) I demanded a supervisor.. I demanded Their supervisor..
they, in a threatening tone, said if I demanded that, I'd have to be sent to "heck, I don't remember the name of the group" ... but it was said as a threat.
2) I looked up the postal address for HP corporate and sent a snail mail letter to the CEO ... which resulted in a very very stuffy man contacting me, who Definitively told me HE was in charge of taking care of things for the CEO ... and sneeringly told me that customer service calls did NOT operate the way I'd experienced them ..

Oddly enough... BOTH pathways lead to the same group ... and the same person in that group ... who, actually had the authority to DO something ... and she replaced my laptop with a newer-model (since same model was not available ...)
... YUP... escalate your problem after the 2nd try to fix it by the script readers over-seas ...
and escalate three levels ...

That's my HP story ...
If you can get to the USA based "make this problem go away" group, you Can get results.

a perfect day to have a great day on purpose...
or because the store clerk told you to...

Harpo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Harpo

Normally a big fan of HP computers. Had problems with the keyboard on my DV7. Spacebar never worked right. They finally made the keyboard so cheaply they made a bad one.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1068 Private Messages whatsamattaU
CowboyDann wrote:Yes but just posting a number isn't very helpful. You can't be 100% certain the information is accurate unless you find the sources. I know this first hand from having my information double checked and being wrong. Posting a link just makes your information more reliable.

agreed.

cage017

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cage017
sergio1988 wrote:

I will add this: Dell always gets a bad rap, I've had my Inspiron 1720 for six years with little to no problems. I just take care of my computer!

When my warranty expired, Dell Support at least told me what to do to fix a problem free of charge. They even walked me through on how to open my Dell tower and fix it when I had the parts in hand.

I had that computer for eight years before I replaced it with a Vaio. Dell ranks high in my book.

cage017

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cage017

EDIT: I got an error trying to post this the first time. If someone can delete this repeat post, I would appreciate it.

sergio1988 wrote:

I will add this: Dell always gets a bad rap, I've had my Inspiron 1720 for six years with little to no problems. I just take care of my computer!

When my warranty expired, Dell Support at least told me what to do to fix a problem free of charge. They even walked me through on how to open my Dell tower and fix it when I had the parts in hand.

I had that computer for eight years before I replaced it with a Vaio. Dell ranks high in my book.

bskuared

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bskuared

Is it just me or has the "deal chase"fizzled out? These days, I'm not worried about missing a deal because, never fear, it will be back. I've pretty much stopped buying anything except wine. 10pm isn't all that fun anymore.

food. italy. food. italy. wine. books. travel. food. genealogy. food. wine. italy. food. get. the. idea?

San Clemente · http://www.italyandme.com

heekilee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heekilee

What can I do with 1.9GHz???

cybernano2o

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cybernano2o

I wouldn't recommend you buying a laptop that has an AMD cpu. They tend to overheat a lot! Why don't you consider a lower dv6 with an i5 or i7?

michael2255

quality posts: 5 Private Messages michael2255

I have had moderate success with HP computers but the local techs at the computer store say they get a lot of returns because the quality sucks. Remember back when when we were told to not buy a car that was manufactured on a Monday? (Hungover auto workers after a hard-drinking, NFL Sunday).

repparla wrote:I have 2 HP desktop computers and 1 Compaq laptop at home. Both the desktops freeze on a regular basis. The laptop charger failed after few months(I replaced it). Wifi failed after about 9 months (started using external wifi). In about 1 and half year there is loose connection where we connect the charger. It is no use to me any more. when I bought my new Desktop I7 (top of the line at that time) it constantly frooze. I spent days/weeks on getting it fixed/replaced by calling customer service. All the calls went to India. All they did was install malware cleaning programs and tried to clean my computer again and again and never agreed to replace the computer. After lot of frustration, I gave up calling the customer service. Either the product should be good or the customer service must be good. This company has nothing that is good; It is the worst unethical company I had ever seen.

If you want to suffer from High Blood Pressure and other related diseases, HP/Compaq are the computers for you.
If Woot cares about customer satisfaction, they should say a big NO for HP/Compaq computers

michael2255

quality posts: 5 Private Messages michael2255

You mean you don't want batteries?

bskuared wrote:Is it just me or has the "deal chase"fizzled out? These days, I'm not worried about missing a deal because, never fear, it will be back. I've pretty much stopped buying anything except wine. 10pm isn't all that fun anymore.