WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

More Knives Than You Can Shake A Fork At

Is it possible to have too many knives? Sure, I guess, maybe hypothetically. But I know for a fact that there is such a thing as having too few knives, and that's a bad place to be in. You need to pare something and lack the knife to pare it with? Don't take that chance: buy lotsa knives.

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
lhollan2 wrote:I have several different brands of knives in my kitchen. What you have in yours?
I'm just hanging out, really.

fidwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fidwoot

The NSU 5825 Sofuto 4-Piece Steak Knife Set - Wasabi description says they are serrated, but the other 2 colors indicate they are not. Are the wasabi colored ones different from the coral and lotus ones?

cathigreen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cathigreen

Country of Origin please Woot, on the Lotus Sofuto set? Target shows the same set in Coral as Made in USA. Is it possible? That would be fantastic.

inkycatz

We're checking on both of these issues, thanks!

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches

Just wanted to let fellow WOOT'ers know that I bought the Core bamboo cutting boards last spring. I'm very happy with them. I've used each size several times & they alwasy wash up very nicely (hand wash). And at $15 ($10 + $5 shipping) they are a GREAT buy!!! I'm in for another set as a wedding shower gift.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

mikeofla

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikeofla

Just wanted to share: The Shun knives are fantastic. I can not believe how sharp and well balanced they are. I purchased the 10" chef a few months ago, just got the Santoku for my birthday and purchased myself, and my parents the 7 piece set. I am in love with these knives.

JRRB

quality posts: 34 Private Messages JRRB

I have been wanting a 8" Shun Chef's knife for years. (I keep playing with them in Sur La Table even though I can't afford to walk out with one.) The limited edition Shun 8" Chef's Knife is just gorgeous! Unfortunately, the price is only just a little better than on Amazon -- $284 (including S&H) vs. $299.95. Still, it's better to buy here if you are ready to purchase now.

I'm trying to convince my family that I need one of these knives for my 38th birthday on February 19, but it's much more than we usually spend on gifts. Does anyone at Woot HQ want to make it the best birthday ever for a great customer? ;)

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

My mom just redid her kitchen and I want to get her Shun. Which set should I buy her? She cuts primarily chicken, veggies, and such. Nothing complicated or fancy.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

JRRB

kylemittskus wrote:My mom just redid her kitchen and I want to get her Shun. Which set should I buy her? She cuts primarily chicken, veggies, and such. Nothing complicated or fancy.

I think knife use can be pretty personal. Have you noticed the kind/size knife she reaches for the most? That would give you your first clue.

I use my chef's knife for about 90% of my tasks -- even some I probably shouldn't because I'm too lazy to reach for another knife. I'm a big girl (my hands are the same size as my hubby's) so I usually prefer larger tools. However, I'm not sure I'd even go for the only set here that includes a chef's knife, because 10" is a large knife.

I don't have much experience with the Sontoku in the other sets, though I hear it's a very versitile knife. I have read arguments for both the chef's knife and the sontoku as the one knife you should have in your kitchen if you don't purchase any other. Perhaps someone else can chime in with experience.

squatchy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages squatchy
kylemittskus wrote:My mom just redid her kitchen and I want to get her Shun. Which set should I buy her? She cuts primarily chicken, veggies, and such. Nothing complicated or fancy.

From what you've said, I would go with either of the cheaper 3-piece sets (not the more expensive 3-piece flat set). The only difference between the two cheaper sets is the kind of utility knife. If she makes a lot of sandwiches, or wants a utility knife where she can cut things and also use it spread stuff like condiments, then get the one with the wider ultimate utility knife. If she doesn't, then get the one with the the thinner utility knife with the sharp point and more teeth. Hope that helps.

michael2255

quality posts: 5 Private Messages michael2255

All you really need is one knife and a cleaver. The rest is just showing off.

fjp999

quality posts: 15 Private Messages fjp999

What kind of stainless steel are the "Ginsu 10-Piece Sofuto Cutlery Set With Block" made with?

Japanese 420J2 stainless steel? as described in another Ginsu knife desc on Amazon... that looks similar to these???

This simple knife sharpener was also highly recommended along with these knifes (as the knives were very soft and needed constant sharpening) Aladdin Knife Sharpener (on Amazon for $8.62!).

Orrrrr should I stick with my original plan and get just a few knives starting with the Victorinox 40520 Fibrox 8-Inch Chef's Knife (currently $22.95 at Amazon)?

ledastray

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ledastray
JRRB wrote:I think knife use can be pretty personal. Have you noticed the kind/size knife she reaches for the most? That would give you your first clue.

+1

This point gets left out of most of the knife discussions here it seems. We can easily talk about relative quality, but "best" is so personal we can't really address it well.

... I don't have much experience with the Sontoku in the other sets, though I hear it's a very versitile knife. I have read arguments for both the chef's knife and the sontoku as the one knife you should have in your kitchen if you don't purchase any other. Perhaps someone else can chime in with experience.

Santoku is a Japanese "jack-of-all-trades". (I'm told it translates to three virtues or three tasks.) I guess it has characteristics of three traditional Japanese knives and allows a single knife to replace the three. (I just read you don't find Santoku knives in Japanese restaurants, but they are more common in smaller home kitchens in Japan.) For our purposes, the Santoku is smaller and more compact than a Chef's knife but can be used for similar tasks. We have both and I'll grab the Santoku for smaller jobs (less quantity) and the bigger Chef's knife for larger volumes. You may also prefer one based on your cutting style. If you use a rocking motion with the tip on the board to chop you need the extra curve of a Chef's knife. (I find) the Santoku works best with the blade parallel to the board and "push cutting". (Sorry, if I'm forgetting the proper name for the technique. Down & slightly forward motion. I usually push cut with both BTW.)

ledastray

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ledastray

Kyle, I agree with one or the other $200 sets, *IFF* your Mom would like the Santoku. (See above.)

squatchy wrote: ... The only difference between the two cheaper sets is the kind of utility knife. If she makes a lot of sandwiches, or wants a utility knife where she can cut things and also use it spread stuff like condiments, then get the one with the wider ultimate utility knife. If she doesn't, then get the one with the the thinner utility knife with the sharp point and more teeth. Hope that helps.

FYI we have the Pure Komachi version of the sandwich knife and no one uses it. (It has the same profile, but has much lower finish level and is single-bevel.) I got it on sale because it seemed like a great idea. In practice we want to spread or cut and it isn't as good at either. Close, but not completely. Beside we all tend to grab a table knife when making sandwiches.

To be fair, I imagine someone at the local deli, making 100s of sandwiches a day, might evaluate the tradeoffs differently.

wubuseah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wubuseah

You should just stick with the Victorinox. The metal on that is slightly better than 420J2 (holds edge longer, better hardened) and is the same as most Wusthof/Henckel knives.
You can get away with a smooth steel (hone) to make the edge last longer. The softer steel on the Ginsu and the Victorinox (should be in the 56 HRC range) means the edge will likely roll instead of going dull. Using a smooth steel (not grooved or rough)/ceramic (not diamond) will straighten the edge longer between sharpenings.
Simple carbide sharpeners are fine, though what they really do is rip metal off to leave a toothy edge.
If you really want to spend the $$ you should look for Chef Choice electric sharpeners (or learn to sharpen on oilstones/water stones).

fjp999 wrote:What kind of stainless steel are the "Ginsu 10-Piece Sofuto Cutlery Set With Block" made with?

Japanese 420J2 stainless steel? as described in another Ginsu knife desc on Amazon... that looks similar to these???

This simple knife sharpener was also highly recommended along with these knifes (as the knives were very soft and needed constant sharpening) Aladdin Knife Sharpener (on Amazon for $8.62!).

Orrrrr should I stick with my original plan and get just a few knives starting with the Victorinox 40520 Fibrox 8-Inch Chef's Knife (currently $22.95 at Amazon)?

wubuseah

at that price range, might I suggest taking a look at Mac Pro chef knife instead? :p

JRRB wrote:I have been wanting a 8" Shun Chef's knife for years. (I keep playing with them in Sur La Table even though I can't afford to walk out with one.) The limited edition Shun 8" Chef's Knife is just gorgeous! Unfortunately, the price is only just a little better than on Amazon -- $284 (including S&H) vs. $299.95. Still, it's better to buy here if you are ready to purchase now.

I'm trying to convince my family that I need one of these knives for my 38th birthday on February 19, but it's much more than we usually spend on gifts. Does anyone at Woot HQ want to make it the best birthday ever for a great customer? ;)

wubuseah

A bread knife is good too if you do a lot of cakes and bread (at least 9 inches, serrated for crusty bread). Sure, a sharp chef's might do the job, but it'd have to be pretty sharp to do it without ripping your bread/cake to shreds.

michael2255 wrote:All you really need is one knife and a cleaver. The rest is just showing off.

wubuseah

Don't forget the Shun handle is bias towards righties.

But all you really need is a Chef's, a paring, a bread, and something heavy duty for breaking chickens (which you don't want to do with the VG10 Shuns, it'd put chips in the edge).

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Do NOT buy the bamboo cutting boards.

Just got these from the last time they were offered, and the largest of the 3 was already split right down the middle--while still in the shrink wrap. When I took the wrap off it fell apart.

Made. Like. Crap.

Comments from the same sale show similar experiences.

Have already contacted Woot customer service. VERY disappointed.

EDIT

The product may suck, but Woot does NOT. Refund received. Thank you, Woot, please keep up the good work.

I still insist that this was not a shipping issue, though--the items were very well padded, and others have complained about the split...

fjp999

Thanks for the advice.

Thats what I was leaning towards - in both areas!

wubuseah wrote:You should just stick with the Victorinox. The metal on that is slightly better than 420J2 (holds edge longer, better hardened) and is the same as most Wusthof/Henckel knives.
You can get away with a smooth steel (hone) to make the edge last longer. The softer steel on the Ginsu and the Victorinox (should be in the 56 HRC range) means the edge will likely roll instead of going dull. Using a smooth steel (not grooved or rough)/ceramic (not diamond) will straighten the edge longer between sharpenings.
Simple carbide sharpeners are fine, though what they really do is rip metal off to leave a toothy edge.
If you really want to spend the $$ you should look for Chef Choice electric sharpeners (or learn to sharpen on oilstones/water stones).

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
michael2255 wrote:All you really need is one knife and a cleaver. The rest is just showing off.

I disagree. I regularly use three: chef's knife, paring knife, and bread knife.

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
fjp999 wrote:What kind of stainless steel are the "Ginsu 10-Piece Sofuto Cutlery Set With Block" made with?

The Victorinox is a decent knife. You can get thie chef's knife, bread knife, and paring knife for a$50 to $60. Those will cover most needs.

cloudyview

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cloudyview
threemoons wrote:Do NOT buy the bamboo cutting boards.

Just got these from the last time they were offered, and the largest of the 3 was already split right down the middle--while still in the shrink wrap. When I took the wrap off it fell apart.

Made. Like. Crap.

Has little to do with how it's built and more to do with how it's shipped. I've had 3 of the large bamboo boards delivered here and 1 of them did come cracked. Woot was a pleasure to deal with to get a replacement sent out.

Mind you, it was the wood/bamboo that actually cracked - not a glue seam between boards....really nothing to do with craftsman ship when that happens...

cloudyview

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cloudyview
fjp999 wrote:Thanks for the advice.

Thats what I was leaning towards - in both areas!

don't know how much this is frowned upon....but here's a set of 3 - santoku/chef's/utility for $60 - it was $49 a few weeks ago unfortunately :\

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner-fibrox/125th-anniversary-edition-knife-set-p126333

wubuseah

Never really liked the handle on Victorinox paring and utility knives, too thin and small to be held comfortably in my hands. (never tried their paring with the special larger handles though)

cloudyview wrote:don't know how much this is frowned upon....but here's a set of 3 - santoku/chef's/utility for $60 - it was $49 a few weeks ago unfortunately :\

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner-fibrox/125th-anniversary-edition-knife-set-p126333

wubuseah

If you really want to be nice to your knife edges, you'd only consider WOOD boards, preferably endgrain board, side grain if you can't help it. Bamboo boards do NOT count as wood, since it takes so much glue to hold all the fibers together into a board (the glue is too hard to be nice to knife edges)
Even rubber boards (e.g. Sani-Tuff boards) are better than plastic which are better than bamboo boards.

Also, contrary to what they say, never put knives and wood/bamboo boards into the dishwasher.

Made. Like. Crap.

inkycatz

inkycatz wrote:We're checking on both of these issues, thanks!

Just FYI, the Wasabi specs were fixed up - thanks for the sharp eye!

wfarmer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wfarmer

I love the Shun knifes and have bought some from Woot already, including the Shun DMS344 Classic 3-Piece Flat Set listed here. Amazing knives. The Nakiri cut through raw potato with very little effort. If you don't have these knives and have the budget, I highly recommend them.

I just wish Woot would come up with different sets for these knives. I already have a Santoku and a chef's knife.

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Good G-D I just went to wash the 2 remaining bamboo boards (see above) and the NEXT-largest one split before I even got to use it.

Woot, please don't restock or offer these pieces of junk again.

harle85

quality posts: 6 Private Messages harle85

I got the Ginsu 10 piece set in wasabi for Christmas, and I totally love them! They're very sharp, very useful, and are good quality for the price.

My only complaint is that one of the steak knives is already rusting near the handle after 3 or 4 hand washes? Kind of think they should have extended the stainless steel through the handle, or at least a little further through it :/

wubuseah

For the record, "stainless" steels actually mean stain resistant steels. If you leave moisture/ acid on long enough it'll rust. Alway wipe your knives dry when you are done, no drip drying.

If rust shows up, try scrubbing with a baking soda paste or Barkeeper's Friend, that should remove it.

But it could also be a bad batch, the metal used could be of sub-par quality. Might want to contact customer service about it.

harle85 wrote:I got the Ginsu 10 piece set in wasabi for Christmas, and I totally love them! They're very sharp, very useful, and are good quality for the price.

My only complaint is that one of the steak knives is already rusting near the handle after 3 or 4 hand washes? Kind of think they should have extended the stainless steel through the handle, or at least a little further through it :/

fjp999

cloudyview wrote:don't know how much this is frowned upon....but here's a set of 3 - santoku/chef's/utility for $60 - it was $49 a few weeks ago unfortunately :\

WoW

That site has some amazing deals!

Thanks for that!!!

Today I had a docs appt and then had transport drop me off to do some grocery shopping but snuck into TJMaxx.

I always spend too much time looking in every nook and cranny of their clearance and after finding some good deals in their mens clothing I went into their kitchen area and found a Wusthof Silverpoint II 4-1/2-Inch Utility Knife for only $6 which seems to be a pretty good and sharp knife for someone who knows nothing about sharp knives...

Then I found a set of ivo cutlery with "2 Piece Asian Set" (# 6199) for $15. from Portugal... Also seems very nice and worth the $15.

Anyone know much about the ivo stuff?

Wish TJMaxx had more Wusthof but they mostly had Chinese made stuff... but am a happy local shopper.

njkatz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages njkatz

I used a Victorinox 8-Inch chef's knife for a couple of years and think it is a fine knife and a remarkable value. I only stopped using it because somebody gave me a custom made chef's knife. If you don't want to spend a lot it's a good choice. I would also recommend the Victorinox either 5-inch or 6-inch chef's knife. They are designed more like utility knives and are great for small chopping jobs. I reach for the six-inch all the time. The blade is not really wide and the handle is very comfortable for a smaller knife.

Nick

seattlekleins

quality posts: 8 Private Messages seattlekleins

Did someone say Shun?! Here comes me! Basic rundown, let's go!

First, these are sharp. Do you like your thumbs? Good, I like 'em too, I think they're just delightful, and that you should be proud of them. Consequently, use good knife technique. Take a class, or watch some YouTube videos. Make a boatload of vegetable soup if you need practice.

Second, take care of these. If you do, they'll last you a long, long time. Don't run 'em through the dishwasher, wash & dry them after use (rather than waiting 'til you've eaten supper & doing 'em with the cleanup after). Hone them fairly regularly. Pay to have them sharpened, or send them to Shun's Oregon facility where they'll sharpen 'em for free.

Third, handles. These are the Shun Classic line, which means they have asymmetric handles. They're designed for righties, but if you primarily use a pinch grip, the handedness likely won't matter.

Fourth, the knives themselves. I have the Santoku, 8" Chef's, 6" Serrated Utility. They're all fantastic. The Perfect Paring is interesting if you peel fruits/veggies with a knife, or want to do some detail work.

The 3 piece flat set is particularly worth your time if you want to start a set of Shuns. Toss in a paring knife and you're golden. Get a non-Shun cleaver & bread knife (for the first, you want a softer steel, for the second, you better cut a LOT of bread for a Shun bread knife to be worth it!)

TLDR: These are great, sharp knives, worth the price. Take care of 'em and they're like Le Creuset - they'll last you forever.

seattlekleins

quality posts: 8 Private Messages seattlekleins

Also, those Kyocera ceramic knives are FANTASTIC for people with arthritis. They're light and easy to handle, and they allowed my grandmother to keep cooking up a storm after her hands got weaker. Definitely worth a look if you have (or someone you love has) arthritic/weak hands.

wubuseah

ooo...that reminds me....
look up "An Edge in the Kitchen" by Chad Ward. His website has videos on holding a knife, basic cutting techniques, steeling, and sharpening.

JRRB

ledastray wrote:Santoku is a Japanese "jack-of-all-trades". (I'm told it translates to three virtues or three tasks.) I guess it has characteristics of three traditional Japanese knives and allows a single knife to replace the three. (I just read you don't find Santoku knives in Japanese restaurants, but they are more common in smaller home kitchens in Japan.) For our purposes, the Santoku is smaller and more compact than a Chef's knife but can be used for similar tasks. We have both and I'll grab the Santoku for smaller jobs (less quantity) and the bigger Chef's knife for larger volumes. You may also prefer one based on your cutting style. If you use a rocking motion with the tip on the board to chop you need the extra curve of a Chef's knife. (I find) the Santoku works best with the blade parallel to the board and "push cutting". (Sorry, if I'm forgetting the proper name for the technique. Down & slightly forward motion. I usually push cut with both BTW.)

Great info -- thank you! I use the rocking motion, so my preference for the chef's knife now makes more sense on a logical level. The sontokus I tried in store just didn't feel right.

wubuseah wrote:at that price range, might I suggest taking a look at Mac Pro chef knife instead? :p

LOL! Point. I was just drooling. (I'm a girl; I like pretty things, but in the kitchen function rules. Now if the tool is pretty and functional... You see why my eyes light up.) The wish list I sent to my family has a couple of the Sun 8" Chef's knives, but not the limited edition that comes at a premium.

elkhar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elkhar

Made. Like. Crap.

EDIT

The product may suck, but Woot does NOT. Refund received. Thank you, Woot, please keep up the good work.

I still insist that this was not a shipping issue, though--the items were very well padded, and others have complained about the split...

I completely disagree with this comment. I started using my set a while ago and couldn't be happier. It was DEFINITELY a shipping issue as I have referred several friends to this set and they're all happy with it. It also happens to make a great gift idea for bridal showers and whatnot. Have you tried contacting Core Bamboo to get a refund? They are very helpful..
email them at customerservice@corehome.com.

shanphoto

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shanphoto
elkhar wrote:I completely disagree with this comment. I started using my set a while ago and couldn't be happier. It was DEFINITELY a shipping issue as I have referred several friends to this set and they're all happy with it. It also happens to make a great gift idea for bridal showers and whatnot. Have you tried contacting Core Bamboo to get a refund? They are very helpful..
email them at customerservice@corehome.com.

I have to agree with the above post. I feel that there must be a shipping issue. I have multiple boards and products from Core Bamboo and love them all. I have never had any quality issues.