WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

His And Hers Wenger Watches

What do you do when you get to the point where your significant other's voice is so annoying and grating that you can't even bear to hear them tell you what time it is? Get yourself a watch. And then get them one too so they have one less reason to bother you.
Wenger official site

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
newfiepage wrote:Wenger is known for their Swiss Army knives, but they also make a lot of other great things - like watches! However, they did not write the 80's song, "Seventeen". That was Winger.
I'm just hanging out, really.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll

If my conversion math is correct the Men's AeroGraph Cockpit Chrono Watch (face) would be just a hair under 1 5/8 inches. While that would be a fairly large watch it would not be huge by any standard and would be able to be worn by most men without it appearing too large. Wenger btw does make quality watches and this is a very good price.

justkissmybass

quality posts: 3 Private Messages justkissmybass

$279.00 for the men's watch on Amazon. Not Prime-eligible, so tack on shipping, this is a nice deal. Only one 1-star review, but it's far from detailed.

$165 for the women's on the mothership. Also not Prime-eligible. No reviews.

So both are great deals on seemingly-nice watches.

One question I have: since these are analog, I'm assuming the date dial just goes to 30 for each month, and moves on to the next. So you'll have to move the date back (or forward in February) on longer months to keep it accurate? (Probably as obvious as I feel it is, but I've never owned an analog watch with a date dial like this, and maybe the Swiss have figured out how to accurately display different-length months :P)

jhrdy724

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jhrdy724
justkissmybass wrote:
One question I have: since these are analog, I'm assuming the date dial just goes to 30 for each month, and moves on to the next. So you'll have to move the date back (or forward in February) on longer months to keep it accurate? (Probably as obvious as I feel it is, but I've never owned an analog watch with a date dial like this, and maybe the Swiss have figured out how to accurately display different-length months :P)

Those crazy watch makers have indeed solved this problem, and their solution is usually advertised as a 'Perpetual Calendar', which even accounts for leap years. Quite convenient not needing to adjust the calendar every month like my older watches.

StanleyS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages StanleyS
justkissmybass wrote:

The date is shown in the window by the number "4". I'd assume it goes from 1-31, otherwise on the 31st it would display "1" by your reasoning. At least this is the way my analog watches work.

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

I can't see paying more than 50 bucks for a quartz watch. For a "precise" electronic timekeeping device I have my phone. If I'm going to wear something around my wrist, it's gotta have a little more soul. Please bring us some mechanical movements woot.

donttpanic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages donttpanic

Most chrono watches use the big red hand as the seconds counter, and use the dial in the 6 o'clock position for normal seconds, however in this picture, it seems to be the other way around. Just a small point of ascetics for those interested...

I'm also concerned by the lack of any indication of water resistance. I know pilots in cockpits are pretty far from water, but what if you have to eject over the ocean??

ChampionOfChaos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChampionOfChaos

I own a Wenger watch and have been extremely pleased with it. It's taken a lot of abuse being my work watch. Durable and good looking. This about the price I paid for it and would recommend it at this price point.

Woots:
1. Razer Copperhead 2000dpi Laser Gaming Mouse
2. Star Wars Vault: 30 Years of Treasures From the Lucasfilm Archives
3. Peavey Rockmaster Standard Acoustic Stage Pack
4. Excalibur NF07-08 NFL Premium Edition Vibrating Football
5. Kelty Shrike 32 Daypack
6. Kelty Courser 40 Backpack
7. Kershaw Vapor III Folding Knife
8. Imaginext Castle Ogre
9. All-Over Paisley Wrap

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
mdnorman wrote:I can't see paying more than 50 bucks for a quartz watch. For a "precise" electronic timekeeping device I have my phone. If I'm going to wear something around my wrist, it's gotta have a little more soul. Please bring us some mechanical movements woot.

And not Invictas! Made for TV watches don't count!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
donttpanic wrote:I'm also concerned by the lack of any indication of water resistance. I know pilots in cockpits are pretty far from water, but what if you have to eject over the ocean??

Well, the manual states that "standard" Wenger watches are water resistant to 50m or 100m.

Also if you're a pilot leaving your nonfunctional plane over the ocean, you have more things to worry about than your watch's water resistance :-)

darkhelmet72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkhelmet72

From the description on Newegg, whose asking $300 btw

Sport watch, Swiss quartz movement, Chronograph displaying 30-minute, 60-second and 1/10-second subdials, Main dial brushed silver-tone hour/minute hands with luminous accents and red chronograph-seconds sweep hand, Subdials displayed by red/silver-tone luminescent hands, Main dial white luminescent Arabic numbers, White numbers/indices mark subdials and outer minute track, Analog date display at 4, Polished silver-tone round bezel, Brushed silver-tone stainless steel square case, Polished silver-tone crown and pushers, Stainless steel screw-in caseback, Mineral crystal, 100 meters/330 feet water resistant

janearonson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages janearonson

I can not find a watch, that brand to match any of the manufacturers watches in most of the detailing. Why so?

angryman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages angryman
janearonson wrote:I can not find a watch, that brand to match any of the manufacturers watches in most of the detailing. Why so?

Wenger is one of the two Swiss companies that made the "real" Swiss Army Knife". They were acquired by the other manufacture of same- Victorinox. a few years back. Wenger is in the process of diversifying to other outdoor products focusing on multiple uses and quality- hence the chronograph watches.

dfunkmaster

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dfunkmaster
angryman wrote:Wenger is one of the two Swiss companies that made the "real" Swiss Army Knife". The were acquired by the other manufacture of same- Victorinox a few years back. Wenger is in the process of diversifying to other outdoor products focusing on multiple uses and quality- hence the chronograph watches.

They are still two independent companies. Victorinox doesn't actually make Wenger watches, Wenger does. There is a difference. What surprises me is that even some of Wenger's more expensive watches have mineral crystal instead of sapphire.

sdgardner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sdgardner
justkissmybass wrote:$279.00 for the men's watch on Amazon. Not Prime-eligible, so tack on shipping, this is a nice deal. Only one 1-star review, but it's far from detailed.

$165 for the women's on the mothership. Also not Prime-eligible. No reviews.

So both are great deals on seemingly-nice watches.

They go to 31. But changing the day for 30 Day months is very easy. On the 1st day of the month after the 30 day month you pull the stem out one click (Not two) the watch does not stop, and then you twist the stem until it advances a day or 2 or 3 if its in March until the Day is correct. Then you push the stem back in. The time should be unaffected... Wenger makes a good watch, accurate, and pretty rugged. I have a divers, taht I have wore so long the Black dial has faded to light Gray.

richiers

quality posts: 3 Private Messages richiers

very cool watch