0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
First Alert 8CH/8Cam DVR Security System
$249.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

espiritu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages espiritu

nice...only a month ago I bought this when it was deal of the day for $80 more

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver

Wow, this is a really good deal. lists for $549 at The XXXX Depot.

Found this video review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gsIvB4Mk0I

readymade

quality posts: 19 Private Messages readymade

These things are great for finding out who ate the last 2 Mallomars while you were sleeping. Justice will be done!

I got something better than luck.

simonwang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages simonwang

not worth it. they are cmos cameras! that means the colors will be off and that the night vision won't be as good as ccd cameras. very bad tunnel vision. you are warned!

slylynn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages slylynn

So it says working temperature range is 14F to 122F. Does that just mean it's not guaranteed to work below 14F or will it damage the cameras if they get too cold?

kwynns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwynns
simonwang wrote:not worth it. they are cmos cameras! that means the colors will be off and that the night vision won't be as good as ccd cameras. very bad tunnel vision. you are warned!

My $1500 dslr is cmos...what makes cmos so bad?

billycrook

quality posts: 1 Private Messages billycrook

The dvr has connectors to receive audio inputs from each camera. and the Tiger Direct video says it records audio from each camera. But the dou che in the video never plugs in the audio cable, or demonstrates audio recording or playback. So. In otherwords, if you want to record audio, you get to buy your own cameras or additional microphones, right?

Altazi

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Altazi

These are WIRED cameras! Be prepared to string coax cable all around your home to set up this system. I'd be in if there was a good-quality WIRELESS security camera system being offered, but I'm sitting this one out.

iamthe1toknow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iamthe1toknow

Check out their own web site, this system is listed for $770 of the First Alert Store.com, hell of a deal.

iamthe1toknow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iamthe1toknow
iamthe1toknow wrote:Check out their own web site, this system is listed for $770 of the First Alert Store.com, hell of a deal.

timefortag

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timefortag
auctionsaver wrote:Wow, this is a really good deal. lists for $549 at The XXXX Depot.

Found this video review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gsIvB4Mk0I

Too bad the guy did not show how the microphones worked with the camera. I guess their may be a third set of wires, as he showed the camera had a microphone built in, but did not say anything about the wires.

timefortag

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timefortag
timefortag wrote:Too bad the guy did not show how the microphones worked with the camera. I guess their may be a third set of wires, as he showed the camera had a microphone built in, but did not say anything about the wires.

Now I have to ask myself if I can afford to buy this just to see what the two guard dogs bark at at times during the day in the yard. No one has made it inside yet so possibly just the sound of a loud dog is all that is needed.

Alan69

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Alan69
Altazi wrote:These are WIRED cameras! Be prepared to string coax cable all around your home to set up this system. I'd be in if there was a good-quality WIRELESS security camera system being offered, but I'm sitting this one out.

Ohhh yeah, I'll fund your wireless security system if you give me your home address..

Secure your house with something that easy to jam? Winning!

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou
Altazi wrote:These are WIRED cameras! Be prepared to string coax cable all around your home to set up this system. I'd be in if there was a good-quality WIRELESS security camera system being offered, but I'm sitting this one out.

No, these are NOT "weird" cameras.

Seriously? Were you expecting 8 wireless cameras for $250? With the controller?

How much would you pay for a (slightly used) bridge from Manhattan to Brooklyn?

steve

skou

Excuse me, $249.99. Or, $254.99 including shipping for 1 set.

steve

whoknewbutu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whoknewbutu

I was going to grab these for outside, but i saw he mentioned they are not waterproof.... Makes me wonder how long they would last mounted to the outside of the house...

skou

AND, a 1 TB HDD?

Sorry, Loser of the year!

steve

IronCobra

quality posts: 3 Private Messages IronCobra

Anybody know how this compares to the Swann system on sale at Costco besides the obvious fact that this comes with 8 cameras and has a larger HDD?

mightymichelob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightymichelob

Only 2 reviews on Amazon, but they're both very negative--seems like color balance is impossible, at least in their setup.

Amazon link

pupyluvr

quality posts: 49 Private Messages pupyluvr

Ha!
I just found the Official Theme Song of the First Alert 8CH/8Cam DVR Security System.

Or maybe this one but that entirely depends on your point of view...

sabotageapril

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sabotageapril
mightymichelob wrote:Only 2 reviews on Amazon, but they're both very negative--seems like color balance is impossible, at least in their setup.

Amazon link

yeah i saw that and other reviews online saying camera quality isn't that great.

i figured either get this one because it's still a good deal with the 1tb hd and maybe get some better cameras later... OR get another one with 4 cameras that is the same price but better cameras.

either option you'll want to buy better/more cameras but this kit seems like a good possible start.

pshipley

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pshipley
mightymichelob wrote:Only 2 reviews on Amazon, but they're both very negative--seems like color balance is impossible, at least in their setup.

Sounds to me the cameras may not have IR filters to enhance "night vision", false colors are a side effect.

I know this from "moding" some of my cameras a few years ago. After removing the IR filter off the image sensor my cheap 1.5 lux cams were ok at 1 lux although I ended up with white-pink trees in the sunlight.

I was ok with this is a security system not a magazine photo shoot.

pshipley

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pshipley

Amazon link

12 reviews on tigerdirect : http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1622055&pagenumber=0&RSort=1&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=12&body=REVIEWS#CustomerReviewsBlock

A few seem a little contrived ..

I wonder how the First Alert compares with the Woot Plus offer :

Defender SN301-8CH 8-Channel H.264 Smart DVR Security System with 500GB HDD & 8 Indoor/Outdoor Hi-Res CCD Night Vision Surveillance Cameras

hysonmb

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hysonmb
Alan69 wrote:

If your criminal is coming with wireless jamming equipment in hand, they're not going to be stopped by cameras - wireless or not.

alan93

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alan93

And when the criminal breaks in, he takes the DVR with him right?

rgant05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rgant05
billycrook wrote:The dvr has connectors to receive audio inputs from each camera. and the Tiger Direct video says it records audio from each camera. But the The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 in the video never plugs in the audio cable, or demonstrates audio recording or playback. So. In otherwords, if you want to record audio, you get to buy your own cameras or additional microphones, right?

Thats right. The recorder can do it but the cameras do not have audio capability.

rgant05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rgant05
timefortag wrote:Too bad the guy did not show how the microphones worked with the camera. I guess their may be a third set of wires, as he showed the camera had a microphone built in, but did not say anything about the wires.

No third set of wires for this camera. The CM420 camera does not have audio capability. Recorder can do audio if you put a camera on it with mic.

Smurphette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Smurphette
Alan69 wrote:Ohhh yeah, I'll fund your wireless security system if you give me your home address..

Not really. It depends on how secure your network is. True, many people don't know how to do this. But then, I don't think those are the sorts of people that buy from WOOT.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

Another security system...oh joy

mrkour

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrkour
espiritu wrote:nice...only a month ago I bought this when it was deal of the day for $80 more

Can you really zoom/tilt and pan the cameras remotely?

durrock

quality posts: 1 Private Messages durrock

I bought the zmodo set up but was disappointed that it falsely stated that it would record on motion detect. This means it's constantly recording and kind of a pain for home security. I was able to buy some used cameras at a popular on-line auction site so the crappy cameras aren't a concern. I'm on the fence, all I want is motion detect.

crtt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crtt

i have a high end defender system and the wires that are directly connected to cameras are not shielded thus i have a steal building i put these up on outside and get a scrolling effect. after 2 months working with defender to find out what causing it. so its a design flaw and defender will not return purchase price as store only has a 30 day limit. so buyer beware. also my cameras are 600 ltv and they still suck!

crtt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crtt
mrkour wrote:Can you really zoom/tilt and pan the cameras remotely?

the DVR has the ability maybe on 1 camera i don't know my dvr can only ptz on 1 camera but these cameras are not ptz cameras so no you can't ptz with these systems

jimmyjayjr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimmyjayjr

First you ask your self.. why do I want this system..
To see if anyone is breaking the ten comandnents .. they shall not steal, is the big one. covet the wife, of stuff I own. trespass on the neigbors yard. It will pretty cover em all..
Now we don't need hollywood quality pictures for this. so for $259.00 you are pretty much covered. unless you have a swimming pool. you can't skinny dip anymore

joelkayla

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joelkayla

does anyone know the temp operating range for the cameras?
i see the dvr operating temps range is 14°F to 122°F (-10°C to 50°C)

shelldav

quality posts: 8 Private Messages shelldav

"This Product Grants Its Owner: Piece of mind through constant surveillance."

Sounds like a good way to get some nasty prions.

glenncol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glenncol

Someone on another form said, "one thing to note, there are only certain types of cameras that are admissible in court. (If it ever comes to that). Sorry that I don't know which ones, but I had a friend who learned the hard way. He invested a good bit in security cameras, got good video evidence, then got the video thrown out. He then spent more money buying another system that he researched after the failed court attempt."

So do you think it would be worth it to buy this for the DVR and replace the cameras individually?

Does anyone know if it has motion-sensative activation of the recordings?

cwhite864

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwhite864

I want "piece of mind" through constant surveillance. Nice context.