69Skylark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 69Skylark

I'm going get this and upgrde the cameras later. This is a great deal even if you want to throw away half the cameras

Misunderstood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Misunderstood

I shoulda read the reviews before buying it but if nothing else can use the cables and DVR

glenncol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glenncol
69Skylark wrote:I'm going get this and upgrde the cameras later. This is a great deal even if you want to throw away half the cameras

Yes, but I bought the ZModo DVR recently from Woot! and the firmware and menus were slow, counter-intuitive, and buggy.

I'd like to know more about the quality of the DVR on this one before I made the move.

xrobevansx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xrobevansx

Been waiting for this one to come back. Need to remotely watch our mill for outsiders! And keep an eye on the insiders. Seems like a good deal for my purposes.

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei

Why do I always feel like somebody's watching me?! And I have no privacy!

royalhope

quality posts: 0 Private Messages royalhope
IronCobra wrote:Anybody know how this compares to the Swann system on sale at Costco besides the obvious fact that this comes with 8 cameras and has a larger HDD?

Look at the TVL.. I believe the Swann cameras are in the 600 range, where these are only 420. The lower the lines, the less resolution.

handygeek7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages handygeek7

Is ActiveX required for any of the features?

Has anyone used these via Linux?

m500sesp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages m500sesp
wootalyzer wrote:Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
First Alert 8CH/8Cam DVR Security System
$249.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

First Alert Store is offering this same product for 230.00.
http://www.firstalertstore.com/store/products/8-channel-and-8-camera-wired-dvr-security-system-dc8810-420.htm

banancanard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages banancanard
m500sesp wrote:First Alert Store is offering this same product for 230.00.
http://www.firstalertstore.com/store/products/8-channel-and-8-camera-wired-dvr-security-system-dc8810-420.htm

I am pretty sure that you are looking at the savings tag. They are selling it for $769.95 which is a $230 savings.

darkinc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages darkinc

I am pretty sure that says "SAVE $230.00", with an actual price of $769.95.

amiklich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amiklich
glenncol wrote:Someone on another form said, "one thing to note, there are only certain types of cameras that are admissible in court. (If it ever comes to that). Sorry that I don't know which ones, but I had a friend who learned the hard way. He invested a good bit in security cameras, got good video evidence, then got the video thrown out. He then spent more money buying another system that he researched after the failed court attempt."

So do you think it would be worth it to buy this for the DVR and replace the cameras individually?

Does anyone know if it has motion-sensative activation of the recordings?

I bought a similar defender system on sale around the holidays. I don't know if the evidence would hold up in court, but it was good enough for the police to issue a warrant on the drunk b-hole neighbor 2 streets over that stole some items off our porch in the middle of the night. That enjoyment alone was worth it.

khazor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages khazor

Can somebody tell me what the recording angle is on these? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see that information anywhere. If I want to see a whole room from an interior corner, will I need to put up two cameras?

foomanchoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages foomanchoo

Seems like a good deal.The wires are longer than most kits.I don't think they would last long outside though,which is where you really want to put cameras.Probably better for a business with inside use.

Agent019

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Agent019

I had these and returned them. The quality is akin to watching TV through the shop window in the 1960's. Went and bought the Swann system from Costco... someone broke in during the switch. Good times.

cwillj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwillj

Can you extend the video/power distance on these beyond the 75 ft with an additional cable? Does it further degrade an already average picture if you do so?

xbps360

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xbps360

I've googled the manual it seems only channel 1 and 2 record @ 720 X 480 and 3-8 only record at 352 X 240. I am gonna pass this until all 8 channels record at 720 x 480.

trajector55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trajector55

Wow Thanks so much for the tip. I really appreciate it so much. Have a great day!

Terry Madsen

simonwang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages simonwang
kwynns wrote:My $1500 dslr is cmos...what makes cmos so bad?

if you want to know, i wrote up an extensive review last few times. just follow the links:

http://tech.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5241820&pageindex=1&replycount=23#post5242453

ChristopherSprks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChristopherSprks

👎Thanks...almost pulled the trigger! 🔫

simonwang wrote:not worth it. they are cmos cameras! that means the colors will be off and that the night vision won't be as good as ccd cameras. very bad tunnel vision. you are warned!

rgant05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rgant05

look again it says "save $230" the price is "marked down" to $769

rgant05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rgant05
khazor wrote:Can somebody tell me what the recording angle is on these? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see that information anywhere. If I want to see a whole room from an interior corner, will I need to put up two cameras?

Its really hard to find even in researching it, but I found the manual on the cameras and they have 6mm lenses

Nunya1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nunya1

the description says "•Allows you to record, playback, backup records, access the internet and Pan/Tilt/Zoom control cameras"

Do these cameras allow that Functionality?

johnvassel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages johnvassel

WHile not a bad price for this DVR..(perhaps..) The cameras state style CCD, but type CMOS. CMOS cameras will leave you wanting a much much better picture. Poor resolution and terrible colors. That said, 8 mounts/cables/and a dvr make this an 'okay' deal. I've had this CMOS camera once, and it's never been used again... it was terrible.

Woots so far
  • 3 B*O*C's
  • 2 Leak Frogs
  • 3 Screaming monkeys v2 (green)
  • bunch of other stuff that I just bought while waiting for these listed items

johnvassel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages johnvassel
Nunya1 wrote:the description says "•Allows you to record, playback, backup records, access the internet and Pan/Tilt/Zoom control cameras"

Do these cameras allow that Functionality?

No, you would need a camera with a 485 driven PTZ feature. (read: more than the cost of this set, way more.)

Woots so far
  • 3 B*O*C's
  • 2 Leak Frogs
  • 3 Screaming monkeys v2 (green)
  • bunch of other stuff that I just bought while waiting for these listed items

pshipley

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pshipley

Sold out right as I was ordering one for a friend Grrrr....

plasticpopcorn4

quality posts: 5 Private Messages plasticpopcorn4

jesus tax is a killer now. thanks california -_-

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

... I don't know why, but this reminds me of GlAdos.
:D

tracyfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tracyfan

I found these cameras a little too late. If anyone thought twice after buying it and dont want them I am willing to buy these off them ASAP my father needs a security system in place at his shop. Paypal ready. Reply before your order is shipped