Checker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Checker
gak0090 wrote:I think the Z915 is a better camera than this.

Thanks for your opinion. I appreciate it!

wolfwood316

quality posts: 8 Private Messages wolfwood316

I have this camera from a previous Wooting. For a point-and-shoot, it takes good pictures. It goes without saying this does not compete with higher-end cameras. However, for outdoor portraits, landscapes, and well-lit indoor scenes, it performs above this $55 price point.

As others noted above, low-light performance is not very good at all. Video quality is 'meh' in a pinch - and with the caveats above - but that's not really what the camera was made for.

Here are a few shots I've taken over the last year, not cleaned or edited in any way, to give you an idea of the typical image quality. Unfortunately I only have outdoor daytime shots readily available right now.

https://plus.google.com/photos/116199688052614289437/albums/5834429574011823825

Checker

sugarpearls wrote:Depends how much you use your zoom. Personally, I'd take 10MP with 10x optical zoom over 14MP with 3x optical zoom.

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it! I use the zoom quite a bit and it's amazing! I work in a building that overlooks the Maumee River in OH. During a meeting, I saw a box truck on the other side in the parking lot and a whole line of cars snaking around the lot ending at the truck. I couldn't read what was on the side of the truck, so I zoomed in as far as I could, took a picture, came back to my computer and viewed it. I was able to zoom in enough to read the side of the truck. One of the coworkers that I emailed the pic to replied back, "Remind me to never let him within two miles of my house."

wolfwood316

quality posts: 8 Private Messages wolfwood316
Checker wrote:I'm reaching out to the community for advice. Do you think I should get this one? Is it an upgrade to what I have now? I've had the Z915 for several years now and love it! It's a 10MP with 10x optical zoom. The only issue I've ever had with it was the battery cover was so hard to open that I broke one of the hooks that keeps it closed (the other hook still works). Other than that, it's a great camera! In fact, my wife and I got her dad the same model one year and he enjoys it a lot too.

I've got the z990 and it smokes this camera in every conceivable way. I have to imagine the 915 does as well.

Checker

wolfwood316 wrote:I've got the z990 and it smokes this camera in every conceivable way. I have to imagine the 915 does as well.

Thanks for helping me decide to save my $55 for something else!

gak0090

quality posts: 83 Private Messages gak0090
sugarpearls wrote:Haha, actually, I had already been to softpedia (although I hadn't heard of it until this point) and read the horrendous reviews of EasyShare.

You might want to put the model number of this camera in and do a Google search, you'll see that it returns pretty decent reviews. These are easy to use and take decent pictures especially considering the price point. Software is kind of a moot point, it says it comes with it, but even if it doesn't Windows and MAC both have built in solutions, then you have 3rd party stuff like Picasa and many more- just Google them. Most of the bad reviews involving Kodak involve people that are expecting $200 of functionality coming out of a $100 camera. People that buy this camera should just want something they can pick up and snap a decent picture- you shouldn't buy this camera thinking you're Ansel Adams and pissed because there are not enough manual settings.

Kilikopele

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kilikopele

In for 1 for the kiddies. They still battle over their old Fisher Price 640X480 trash-cam.

I've owned an EasyShare before. No one will confuse it for a Leica, but they are fairly quick and easy to use.

As for those wondering about the EasyShare software, don't. It's crap. Don't even load it. You'd be better of with Picasa or other software anyway.

Seriously, I only come here for the articles.

gak0090

quality posts: 83 Private Messages gak0090
wolfwood316 wrote:I've got the z990 and it smokes this camera in every conceivable way. I have to imagine the 915 does as well.

I picked up the z990 off of Woot when they had it for like $150. It's a really nice camera. Kodak haters would have a different opinion if they ever used this camera. There are even a few things about it that I like better than my Sony DSC‑HX100V which cost $400.

princesspraline

quality posts: 1 Private Messages princesspraline

I have had the Kodak EasyShare Z1285 since 2009 and I've been very happy with it. My skill level is photographically challenged, and I've been very happy with the pictures I've taken with it.

Here's a comparison:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Kodak-C1530-vs-Kodak_EasyShare_Z1285

http://snapsort.com/compare/Kodak-C1530-vs-Kodak_EasyShare_Z1285/specs

I'm going to get this for my boyfriend (who has mad picture taking skills) to replace his pocket camera that gave up the ghost last year.

P.S. I've never had a reason to use the Kodak software - I installed it once and I don't even remember what it does.

libbyandbrant

quality posts: 2 Private Messages libbyandbrant

You can buy the same thing at walmart for $65 and it comes with a case and a battery charger!! Crappy deal!!

debh149

quality posts: 0 Private Messages debh149

What is the battery life like for this?

togamoos

quality posts: 2 Private Messages togamoos
ThunderThighs wrote:Made me laugh out loud. Congrats.

While we're at it...

Kilikopele

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kilikopele
danwat1234 wrote:
But 2GB? Why?
And, for that matter, why don't new cameras support NTFS? Not saying this camera is new.

You probably don't ACTUALLY want to know why they don't support NTFS, but if you did, it's because FAT32 is called for in the official spec.

And don't even get me started on the proprietary exFAT!

Seriously, I only come here for the articles.

sflesch

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sflesch
libbyandbrant wrote:You can buy the same thing at walmart for $65 and it comes with a case and a battery charger!! Crappy deal!!

LINKS LINKS LINKS or your post is worthless! It's $69 and out of stock!

Why is it that everytime I click I want one", Woot makes me buy it? Don't they ever just want to know that, "Yes, I want one?" http://www.sflesch.com

sincecc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sincecc

I don't understand the market for point and shoot cameras. You could have 100000MP but you're still shooting through a plastic lens smaller than a pea (the cross-section of a pea). It makes sense to just trade up to an iphone4s (or 5 if you want a purple hue..). really. Really, I think point and shoots are obsolete except for the best of them - like the Lumix LX5 and that class. There are similar cameras that do really well too, like for some reason my Kodak EasyShare Z650 took better pictures at times than my Lumix GF-1, but both have big lenses. On the other hand, my iphone 4s has sorta displaced my carrying around a camera much anymore.

sflesch

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sflesch

Folks, I own this camera and have for a year. Being a native Rochesterian, Kodak is near and dear to my heart, so I have always tried to support them. I would however always be honest about those products.

This a perfectly acceptable inexpensive point and shoot camera. Don't compare it to the Z915, they aren't really the same. We had a Fuji that was given to us as a wedding present and the software was no better than any other. I have installed plenty of camera software and few, if any really offer any 'special' features.

The camera has facial recognition, plus you can tag photos with a 'topic' and even tag them for sharing on facebook and email and more.

I have the Eneloop XX batteries that I cycle through this and it does quite well.

Pictures are at least as good as my Polaroid and Fuji cameras.

For those of you who may not know, Kodak essentially invented the digital camera, as it has so many other things, but they failed, as they have often, to take advantage of the technology. OLCD is another example.

Why is it that everytime I click I want one", Woot makes me buy it? Don't they ever just want to know that, "Yes, I want one?" http://www.sflesch.com

adkstrider

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adkstrider

I Wooted one of these a couple of years ago--it's still taking good pictures. I sent it with my son on a 35 day 500 mile canoe trip in far northern Canada fully expecting it to die on the trail. It didn't. He came back with AMAZING panoramic shots and some cool video of massive waterfalls. Granted, he carefully protected it with a watertight camera box and I gave him a big supply of batteries. While I don't recommend this for rugged outdoor use, it exceeded expectations by a considerable margin. Now I'm kinda attached to it....

RockDoggy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RockDoggy

I bought a CD82 on here a couple of years ago for my son. He loves it, but it's of questionable quality. Or maybe he abuses it more than I know. Anyway, it has some flaky behaviors now (phantom files fill up the SD card) and I can't download new firmware for it anymore.

However, at that price, I may get this for him. He misses his camera.

One thing: I used an Eye-fi card in his old camera, and it worked great, even though the Eye-fi site doesn't list his camera model as working with Eye-fi. I don't see this model listed either, but I'm hoping for the best.

sloecoach

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sloecoach

I own this camera. It's pretty decent. The only issue I have is the battery compartment. The cover is finicky and would often pop open with just a little bump (dropping the batteries and resetting). Until the compartment eventually broke. Now a bit of scotch tape keeps the compartment closed pretty well.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn
sincecc wrote:I don't understand the market for point and shoot cameras. You could have 100000MP but you're still shooting through a plastic lens smaller than a pea (the cross-section of a pea). It makes sense to just trade up to an iphone4s (or 5 if you want a purple hue..). really. Really, I think point and shoots are obsolete except for the best of them - like the Lumix LX5 and that class. There are similar cameras that do really well too, like for some reason my Kodak EasyShare Z650 took better pictures at times than my Lumix GF-1, but both have big lenses. On the other hand, my iphone 4s has sorta displaced my carrying around a camera much anymore.

Glad you like what YOU have, but some people like zoom lenses, tripod sockets, flash and the ability to crop and what's left still looks good.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

sflesch wrote: I have installed plenty of camera software and few, if any really offer any 'special' features.
[/b]

Not sure what you are saying, but here are five excellent FREE editing programs (Mostly for Windows):

http://acpress.com/freeedit.htm

radi0j0hn

dbreiden wrote:I never, as in never ever, got Easyshare to work with my daughter's phone. We lost the connecter cable that came with the phone, but it seems like any old USB cord with the right size plugs should work. And we never, as in never ever, managed to pull pictures off manually. Any suggestions on where to look for advice?

That experience has me leery of the Kodak brand.

radi0j0hn

dbreiden wrote:I never, as in never ever, got Easyshare to work with my daughter's phone. We lost the connecter cable that came with the phone, but it seems like any old USB cord with the right size plugs should work. And we never, as in never ever, managed to pull pictures off manually. Any suggestions on where to look for advice?

That experience has me leery of the Kodak brand.

Sorry for the double post. These free programs beat EasyShare. Just use a card reader and don't bother plugging in the camera.

tracy77

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tracy77

I have an old kodak easyshare C633, 6.1mp that came with a printer you could attach the camera to and print on the spot. The camera, however, has some type of short and only works 1/2 the time after turning it on and off 10 times and removing/replacing the batteries. A real pain in the butt. The coolest aspect though was to be able to print pics on the spot like going to a party, capturing a great pic then printing off copies for everyone before leaving - awesome keepsake! Does anyone know if I'd be able to connect this camera to the printer as I cannot see the bottom good enough to determine if the slot is there or not. Thanks!

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234
Kilikopele wrote:You probably don't ACTUALLY want to know why they don't support NTFS, but if you did, it's because FAT32 is called for in the official spec.

And don't even get me started on the proprietary exFAT!

Thanks! Email sent to the SD association. I guess portable device manufactures don't want to pay the money to use Microsoft's NTFS file system or don't want to support 'out of spec' filesystems.
@Everyone, I know, off topic. Will stop

lilbit326

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilbit326

You can buy this on Walmart.com for 39.99 right now, not sure how much shipping is. Doesn't seem like a steal though..

radi0j0hn

lilbit326 wrote:You can buy this on Walmart.com for 39.99 right now, not sure how much shipping is. Doesn't seem like a steal though..

No You can't. I just looked and it is out of stock at $69.95 with batts and charger.

Show the link you found, please.

sugarpearls

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sugarpearls
radi0j0hn wrote:No You can't. I just looked and it is out of stock at $69.95 with batts and charger.

Show the link you found, please.

I believe the poster is thinking of the M200 bundle, rather than the c1530 bundle.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kodak-10MP-M200WhtBndle/17242682

sugarpearls

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sugarpearls
gak0090 wrote:You might want to put the model number of this camera in and do a Google search, you'll see that it returns pretty decent reviews. These are easy to use and take decent pictures especially considering the price point. Software is kind of a moot point, it says it comes with it, but even if it doesn't Windows and MAC both have built in solutions, then you have 3rd party stuff like Picasa and many more- just Google them. Most of the bad reviews involving Kodak involve people that are expecting $200 of functionality coming out of a $100 camera. People that buy this camera should just want something they can pick up and snap a decent picture- you shouldn't buy this camera thinking you're Ansel Adams and pissed because there are not enough manual settings.

Sorry -- I was alluding to the EasyShare software itself (which the reviews were for), not the camera. I had a Kodak EasyShare camera years ago, and was always satisfied with it (although I did that would be really pressing the boundaries of photography technology -- just simple everyday stuff).

I saw the a C1530 bundle (blue) on Walmart's website for $69 (came with some cheap bag and a battery charger) with a list price of $80 (also, sold out). Not that I'm holding out for cheaply bundled accessories, but the camera didn't strike me as that amazing of a buy considering the regular list price.

I do love the colors and I'm sure this little camera would be fine, but since it's not urgent I get a camera, I might hold off. The only thing I really use a camera for is taking pictures at concerts, and I don't think the 3x optical + 5x digital zoom will be enough.

joe1776

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joe1776

What kind of memory is available? "18MB avaialble"

k4th3r1n3

quality posts: 17 Private Messages k4th3r1n3
togamoos wrote:While we're at it...

You have gone above and beyond with providing links.

coolbreeze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coolbreeze
Robearlbms wrote:I have the c180 easyshare(10mp). It looks almost identical. I bought it on Woot a couple of years ago for $50. It takes good pictures. I would buy another if I needed one. Not too crazy about AA batteries, though.

Likewise. I keep it in the Mustang console in case I need a camera while on the road. Performs well enough for that occasional need.

polysorbate

quality posts: 7 Private Messages polysorbate
mowoot88 wrote:Anytime something Kodak comes up for sale the haters come out. IMO Kodak sensors have the richest color rendition. Many others feel the same way. I got my daughter a C195 last year for $35 at Tech4Less and while it feels cheap it survived 4 weeks of summer camp and the pictures came out nice. Sending her with some spare Eneloops made it a no brainer. I have had many Kodak digital cameras (and many Sony and Canon and Nikon and Fuji) so that is my basis for comparison.

c195 fir $35? wow! Mine costed $100 at target. Gave it away to neighbor after a days use. as it could not take 5 shots every 15 seconds while running around, inspecting homes. Also, had no grip.
Then, I found out that you can sell stuff on ebay...If only I knew.

markriddle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages markriddle

completely a matter of taste and tasks... This camera sucks if: You are expecting a great quality camera, you a photography enthusiast, you think things Kodak are distasteful.
This deal is GREAT if: you are new to digital photography, you want to keep a handy dandy reliable camera around to take adequate photos, are on a budget and still need a fairly decent camera for school, projects, records, etc.

The bottom line is that no camera is going to be a gold medal winner at this price point.
As someone who has sold professional camera equipment, the deal is fine. Not looking for a lot? Press the button, Looking for high quality digital photography, make a pass.

Figit090

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Figit090

Question for a mod:

Why can't we have a discussion forum on moofi?

I feel naked without feedback from other potential buyers. lol.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

Figit090 wrote:Question for a mod:

Why can't we have a discussion forum on moofi?

I feel naked without feedback from other potential buyers. lol.

Answer for a Member:

I dunno. I will have to ask, that's an interesting question. I will let you know what I find out!

radi0j0hn

coolbreeze wrote:Likewise. I keep it in the Mustang console in case I need a camera while on the road. Performs well enough for that occasional need.

Just, please, not in the glove comparment. Things can melt in their in the summer.

Figit090

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Figit090
ROGETRAY wrote:Answer for a Member:

I dunno. I will have to ask, that's an interesting question. I will let you know what I find out!

Thanks I realized that there is a place for discussion but it's just not in the usual spot. Like moofi...I guess.

radi0j0hn

markriddle wrote:completely a matter of taste and tasks... This camera sucks if: You are expecting a great quality camera, you a photography enthusiast, you think things Kodak are distasteful.
This deal is GREAT if: you are new to digital photography, you want to keep a handy dandy reliable camera around to take adequate photos, are on a budget and still need a fairly decent camera for school, projects, records, etc.

The bottom line is that no camera is going to be a gold medal winner at this price point.
As someone who has sold professional camera equipment, the deal is fine. Not looking for a lot? Press the button, Looking for high quality digital photography, make a pass.

Speaking of pro gear, it depreciates pretty quick. Just bought a "prosumer" Olympus C8080 at Goodwill for $14.99. Works great!

woozell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woozell

Why wont it let me buy it, anyone know? the button on buy now does nothing,.,help i want it!!