WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Luxury Mechanical Timepieces

These are what are technically known as "fancy wrist clocks," though you might know them as "snazzy arm chronometers" or "chic appendage time-wear." But we're not here to argue semantics -- call them whatever you want. Wait, what's a "watch"?

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
newfiepage wrote:Hand wind or automatic? Breitling or Lacroix? Perhaps Momo Design? Let the battle between the luxury watches begin! Fifteen watches enter, one watch leaves!
I'm just hanging out, really.

entropomorphic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages entropomorphic

I wish Woot sold men's watches that were somewhat smaller than a manhole cover...

phoquenut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phoquenut

$5000 for a watch? This beats the heck out of deal I got on Ginsu knives the other day.

In for 3. (One for each of my cats to wear as a necklace, so I don't have to put one on my wrist to know what time it is).

xtreemsaver

quality posts: 2 Private Messages xtreemsaver

Holy cow! These watches cost more than my crappy car.

garyw81

quality posts: 1 Private Messages garyw81

Awww - no more Superocean Heritage laying around?

meanjoeira

quality posts: 4 Private Messages meanjoeira

Please tell me these aren't like those fake Invicta deals.

funkemaster

quality posts: 3 Private Messages funkemaster
meanjoeira wrote:Please tell me these aren't like those fake Invicta deals.

Breitling are legit. They always cost tons. Unlike the invicta deals. You can usually find them on a deal Woot is just a little better deal. If these are in your market. My friend bought one from a brick and mortar dealer on a deal for around $6K.... Obviously model makes a difference on the deal

woot or woot not there is no try

menoseegood

quality posts: 1 Private Messages menoseegood

I feel that Woot! should spawn another site called rich.woot or luxury.woot.... perhaps sell yachts or watches like these on there.

dewahba

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dewahba

Gevril is beautiful product, it is also a great price, yes expensive but Classic . I own one, not as fancy as these but still substantial. Never had a watch Crystal this durable, almost impossible to scratch.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

why should i buy these watches when woot offers other swiss watches like invicta and swiss legend at 99% off. It just means these are bad deals.

aycheung

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aycheung

... just googled and found one of these watches for $300...a real WOOT!

http://www.watchesparks.com/Breitling-Bentley-Mark-VI-watch-p2636212q529ss-20011.html

[MOD: Proceed to that site with caution. Created 10/2012. http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/watchesparks.com]

iguana71

quality posts: 4 Private Messages iguana71
aycheung wrote:... just googled and found one of these watches for $300...a real WOOT!

http://www.watchesparks.com/Breitling-Bentley-Mark-VI-watch-p2636212q529ss-20011.html

WOW! So is that site selling a fake watch or is woot selling the watch for a fake price?

Upon closer inspection, it appears those are replicas on that site.

hmmmm16417

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hmmmm16417
iguana71 wrote:WOW! So is that site selling a fake watch or is woot selling the watch for a fake price?

Upon closer inspection, it appears those are replicas on that site.

The other site is most definitely fake. breitling is a very high end watch. in my opinion, they are tons better than rolex! However, breitling conpletely controls the market on their watch. anyone that is authorized to sell their watches are obligated to maintain a certain price. if they sell them below that price, they will be stripped of their breitling sale rights. if you see a breitling for a few hundred dollars....it's FAKE! they are easy to spot if you know what to look for. that's one reason they are so expensive. but they are beautiful watches!!!!

once you own one, you will EASILY be able to spot a fake and more than likely you will never want to wear anything else.

skittlyoaten

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skittlyoaten
aycheung wrote:... just googled and found one of these watches for $300...a real WOOT!

[MOD: Proceed to that site with caution. Created 10/2012. http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/watchesparks.com]

I think that sites logo says it all: "Elegant watch perfect your life!". yeeeeeah, I'm going to assume those are knockoffs.

lobes06

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lobes06

Comparing to WorldofWatches.tv (WoW), also keep in mind they have free shipping, and a 30-day return policy, as well as warranty:

Maurice Lacroix MP7138:
Woot: $3,995.00
WoW: $5,750.00

Breitling A4436010:
Woot: $4,395.00
WoW: $4,895.00

Breitling A4436010:
Woot: $3,995.00
WoW: $4,895.00

Maurice Lacroix MP6098:
Woot: $2,295.00
WoW: $3,999.00

Maurice Lacroix MP6119:
Woot: $2,295.00
WoW: $2,299.00

Momo Design MD088:
Woot: $1,395.00
WoW: $2,499.99

You get the idea....

bsteggeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsteggeman

Unless Woot is an authorized retailer, it is likely that these watches will have no warranty and will have no after-sale service- like calibration, etc.

Many luxury watch brands, like Omega, won't honor the warranty and basically won't touch a watch that isn't bought through their traditional retail channel.

Jeremyg5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jeremyg5

Is there a return policy on these?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Jeremyg5 wrote:Is there a return policy on these?

From our FAQ:
Will I receive customer support like I'm used to?
Not quite. If you buy something you don't end up liking or you have what marketing people call "buyer's remorse," sell it on Craigslist or at a garage sale. It's likely you'll make money doing this and save everyone a hassle. If the item doesn't work, first, find out what you're doing wrong. Yes, we know you think the item is bad, but it's probably your fault. Google your problem, or come back to that product discussion in our community and ask other people if they know.

I'm just hanging out, really.

Blurker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Blurker

So is this the soft launch of woot.watch?

Invicta has about 36,123 models you can start with and then go from there.

hgullo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hgullo

That site is NOT legit...No way in the world you can get any Breitling for that price, Not even from a crack head.

Protoxxpaintball

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Protoxxpaintball

At least the one comes with a crocodile.

srlehmkuhl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srlehmkuhl
Blurker wrote:So is this the soft launch of woot.watch?

Invicta has about 36,123 models you can start with and then go from there.

Invicta are blatant rip-offs of Breitlings... Just look at the brand logo. Breitlings are heirloom pieces and the quality is far beyond a watch you can buy on the Home Shopping Network. I would love to see some more Maurice Lacroix watches on here, preferably under a grand.

wrek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wrek

What The Hay? is this kitten

You're so vain... you probably think this post is about you.. don't you? Don't you? You're so vain!

skrutinizr

quality posts: 8 Private Messages skrutinizr

Get one for your dog to wear as a collar and you'll have a watch dog.

Seriously- why do people who can't afford some of the higher end things have to be so snotty about it?
These are some seriously good deals. Diggin' the momo- never considered that brand before. Already have a Breitling Emergency that I really dig- can't kill it.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
srlehmkuhl wrote:Invicta are blatant rip-offs of Breitlings... Just look at the brand logo. Breitlings are heirloom pieces and the quality is far beyond a watch you can buy on the Home Shopping Network. I would love to see some more Maurice Lacroix watches on here, preferably under a grand.

LOL, yah. keep reading about invicta, how it has a massive billet case, etc, as if it is a watch equiv to those close to a thousand dollar. Then one day, some place had invictas out on display and I picked up a really heavy duty looking one and played around with it. It didn't have a screw down crown, the stem was weak, there were so much play in the stem, and also alot of play in the adjustment (turning the crown back and forth did not move the minute hand precisely). Those watches are nothing more than costume jewelries.

justinkonrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages justinkonrad
skrutinizr wrote:Get one for your dog to wear as a collar and you'll have a watch dog.

Seriously- why do people who can't afford some of the higher end things have to be so snotty about it?
These are some seriously good deals. Diggin' the momo- never considered that brand before. Already have a Breitling Emergency that I really dig- can't kill it.

I agree with this. If you aren't the kind of person who spends $$$ on your watch, fine (I'm not one either), but it doesn't mean that there aren't folks out there who appreciate a very high-quality watch. For those folks, these are good deals. Saying "Ohmygosh!Ohmygosh!Ohmygosh!!! THESE ARE TOO EXPENSIVE!" without knowing anything about the product or the market is just silly. If Woot had a Porsche for $10K would you be saying "Ohmygosh!Ohmygosh!Ohmygosh!!! WHO PAYS $10K FOR A CAR???" Same principle applies here.

Edit: Why the heck does WOOT replace "O M G" with "Ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh"? Is "O M G" some kind of swear word now? I can't keep up...

MNBeta03

quality posts: 5 Private Messages MNBeta03
hgullo wrote:That site is NOT legit...No way in the world you can get any Breitling for that price, Not even from a crack head.

Not to mention the knockoffs are listed as quartz movement, not mechanical... beware that site.

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

Thank you woot. I asked you to offer watches with mechanical movements and you came through. Unfortunately, while I have champagne tastes I only have a beer budget.

bill750

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bill750
bsteggeman wrote:Unless Woot is an authorized retailer, it is likely that these watches will have no warranty and will have no after-sale service- like calibration, etc.

Many luxury watch brands, like Omega, won't honor the warranty and basically won't touch a watch that isn't bought through their traditional retail channel.

You're absolutely right. Virtually all the upscale watch deals you see on the web are not from authorized dealers. If you take one of these watches to an authorized dealer for service, they will check the serial number and tell you to take your watch and go away. I speak from experience.

So where do these watches come from? Many of them are inventory liquidations from authorized dealers who sell them to grey market dealers. A lot of them can be display models or returns, where even a legitimate dealer can sell at discount prices, but seldom disclose that the watches aren't exactly "new". I'd be very surprised to hear that woot is an authorized dealer for any of these premium watches.

stonedest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stonedest
lobes06 wrote:Comparing to WorldofWatches.tv (WoW), also keep in mind they have free shipping, and a 30-day return policy, as well as warranty:

Ok, I looked at WorldofWatches.tv and it looks like they are offering the same 2 year ILS warranty as woot.

Does anyone actually know what the warranty status of these are vs. other vendors?

itburns

quality posts: 3 Private Messages itburns

I do declare... It's time for my pampering... Watson? Watson? Where has that butler gone now? Probably out buffing my Limo... My my. I do hope we make it to the ball in a timely manner... Where is my Breitling? Could you fetch me a bottle of Perrier? Watson? Watson?... I'm getting bloody annoyed...

dave8333

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dave8333

Since we're talking about expensive watches here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLo7tHDHgOc

nunzo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nunzo

this was discussed the last time Breitlings came up for sale, but these are grey market watches not sold by authorized US Breitling dealers. they do not come with the factory service and warranty of the authorized pieces.

that said, if you want a great watch for cheaper, and dont care about factory warranty or service (if you have a great local watch repair guy then you're set), then you can save thousands by going this route.

www.jomashop.com is a good reference for grey-market pricing.

stupido

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stupido

Slightly off subject, but when will Woot have pocket watches?

ct07192

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ct07192
bsteggeman wrote:Unless Woot is an authorized retailer, it is likely that these watches will have no warranty and will have no after-sale service- like calibration, etc.

They will fix the watch, you just have to pay. However, these watches comes with third party warranty.

http://www.ilswarranty.com/

You have 2 full year warranty on these watches. This is also the reason why they can sell it so cheap. Authorized dealers are bounded by their contract not allowing to exceed a certain level of discount.

I have 6 mechanical watches, include brands from Corum, Rolex, Oris, Mont Blanc, and Tudor. No company will "service" your watch for free, even during the warranty period. And when you send the watch to them for service, YES THEY WILL SERVICE YOUR WATCH. They will charge starting from a couple of hundred dollars, depending on the brand and model. The highest frequency you need to service the watch is once every 5 years.

Also, your statement is incorrect. You basically just said that all luxury watches loses their value as soon as their warranty expire. They lose their value as soon as you bought it. It's second hand.

stonedest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stonedest
ct07192 wrote:They will fix the watch, you just have to pay. However, these watches comes with third party warranty.

http://www.ilswarranty.com/

You have 2 full year warranty on these watches. This is also the reason why they can sell it so cheap. Authorized dealers are bounded by their contract not allowing to exceed a certain level of discount.

I have 6 mechanical watches, include brands from Corum, Rolex, Oris, Mont Blanc, and Tudor. No company will "service" your watch for free, even during the warranty period. And when you send the watch to them for service, YES THEY WILL SERVICE YOUR WATCH. They will charge starting from a couple of hundred dollars, depending on the brand and model. The highest frequency you need to service the watch is once every 5 years.

Also, your statement is incorrect. You basically just said that all luxury watches loses their value as soon as their warranty expire. They lose their value as soon as you bought it. It's second hand.

Thanks for the explanation. That's about what I had figured, but I was confused by people saying the situation with other vendors would be different.

ct07192

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ct07192
stonedest wrote:Thanks for the explanation. That's about what I had figured, but I was confused by people saying the situation with other vendors would be different.

No problem, glad to be of help. Remember, prices of watches do go up every year in order to adjust for inflation. Tag watches adjusted their prices twice last year and went up significantly.

Buying from authorized dealers ensure that your watches are brand new,legit with warranty from the manufacturer, and guarantee the real deal (meaning that you are not buying a fake watch).

I'm sure products from Woot are legit, and there is no need to worry about the legality on how they obtain these watches.

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 1224

I agree with skrutinizr and justinkonrad; wealthy people enjoy a good deal just as much as everyone else. Besides, if woot manages to sell these luxury watches, then our beloved website will profit, and isn't that a good thing?

stupido wrote:Slightly off subject, but when will Woot have pocket watches?

I'd buy one.

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
hgullo wrote:That site is NOT legit...No way in the world you can get any Breitling for that price, Not even from a crack head.

and has anyone seen a site even suggest you pay by money transfer or western union?

I always did like yardsales.