Remember when we had a lesson on business cards here at the Sean Adams University of Business Development Management Leadership? Well, if you do, it probably means you have a brain problem, because there never was a lesson on business cards. But still, having business cards is an important part of being a businessman. But you can’t just hold onto them. You want to hand them out too!
Seems simple enough. You just hand it out to whoever, right? Sure, IF YOU WANT THEM TO BE THROWN AWAY IMMEDIATELY! People don’t care about business cards that someone hands them unsolicited. You need to get people to believe they SHOULD take it. Here’s how:
1. Go to business expos, trade shows, conferences, or wherever you think you can come face-to-face with actual customers.
2. When you meet the person that you consider “your ideal customer,” introduce yourself, but not as a businessman. Say, “Hi, I’m Ted. I know there’s plenty more on the schedule at this expo/trade show/conference, but you look like you could use a break. Wanna get out of here?” (Ted is an example of a name. If you’re name isn’t Ted, don’t say “Hi, I’m Ted.” That’d be weird.)
3. Don’t push it on the first date. Maybe go get a cup of coffee and play board games or something quirky. When you’re leaving, say, “I had a great time. We should do this again,” and give the him/her your number, but not your card. Not yet, at least.
4. Date the customer for a year at least. Don’t rush into things. Take it slow. But be confident. You don’t want to seem like you’re scared of commitment.
5. After dating for a while, it’s time to take things a step further. You’re going to marry the customer.
6. Stay married for at least 40 years before you let your health start to decline.
7. Keep a business card on the table next to your deathbed at all times. Then, when you feel yourself about to leave this life, grab it and clutch it in your palm.
8. When the doctor comes in later, he’ll find the business card in your fist and give it to your spouse. “I’ll cherish this for as long as I live,” your spouse will say.
BAM: You got your business a customer!
Of course, there are probably a few other ways to hand out your business card. Do you have a better method? Let me know in the comments!