dblaa2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dblaa2000
mike33kb wrote:I just bought the reciever last week from WOOT.com. GRR.

Me too and I am aggravated. Can I return the Onkyo amp I bought last week (box is completely unopened) and get this instead?

losbarbosa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages losbarbosa

This sucks; last week they sold just the receiver for $70 cheaper. I want my speakers.........aaaarrrrrg.

bgdoyle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bgdoyle

This is slightly different than the unit that was sold last week, the HT-RC430. I also got one since I already had a good set of speakers, so I am not upset. The HT-RC430 has been excellent so far and I am very glad that I bought it. If you needed a complete set, this is a steal of a deal.

mikem53

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mikem53

You should have no issues driving the klipsch quintets with this receiver impedence wise its a good match up.

mProwler wrote:Awesome deal! I'm wondering if the amp will handle the Klipsch Quintet speakers I have (still in the box).

The amp's nominal impedance is 6 ohms, the Quintets are 8 ohms. The Dynamic Power section of Onkyo's product specifications page lists 85 W @ 8 ohms, and the Quintets are 75 W RMS (8 ohms).

Any reason this would not be a good fit?

lauxn8r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lauxn8r

I woot'ed the HT-RC430 last week as well, but with hopes that it could fill in for an older Onkyo HT-R667 w/ HDMI issues while I tried to get it fixed. Saw someone in last week's comments who had good luck e-mailing Onkyo support and they fixed their older receiver with bad HDMI board or whatever the issue used to be.... Now I kinda wish I had a 2nd complete HTIB setup instead of just the HT-RC430. fail!

myakus01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages myakus01

Is there anyway to hook up an iPhone 4/iPod to this system?

mikem53

Being an avid audiophile... this system is a good option for those using a flat screen TV who want better sound than what the built in speakers can provide. Adding a rich sound with decent bass and surround sound ability adds another dimension to the movie experience.
Don't expect this system to rock your home theater room or emulate a movie theater presentation.... but its a good value and descent setup for most rooms that only have a TV...

mikem53

myakus01 wrote:Is there anyway to hook up an iPhone 4/iPod to this system?

Not a problem with the proper cable as the system has inputs for aux sources..

mikem53

losbarbosa wrote:This sucks; last week they sold just the receiver for $70 cheaper. I want my speakers.........aaaarrrrrg.

According to the weight of the speakers and their specs... you're not missing much... better off spending a bit more and getting better speakers which will greatly improve the sound over the included ones in the bundle...

badger40us

quality posts: 0 Private Messages badger40us
myakus01 wrote:Is there anyway to hook up an iPhone 4/iPod to this system?

Yes, you will have to buy the iPhone 4/iPod cable to HDMI end to do this. Which cable depends on which version of the iPhone and iPod you have. This is a good place to start in your investigation: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4241

fstopdigital

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fstopdigital

I've owned this system for over a year, it is LOUD (never really turn it over 60%, even for the avengers, and xbox / ps3 seems to output an even louder signal, 50% is room-shaking) the quality and definition is many times better than the sony 5.1 system I used to have, and you will not find a better price on this NEW

this is one of the best woots in a while. If I didn't already own it I'd buy it again

i've had NO problems with this system technical or otherwise

RyMully12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RyMully12

From what im reading this looks like a well liked system for a "cheaper" surround sound unit. For the price I dont think you can go wrong.

I'n for 1.

Thanks to the people who do the dirty work and have left their own reviews.

dblaa2000

mikem53 wrote:According to the weight of the speakers and their specs... you're not missing much... better off spending a bit more and getting better speakers which will greatly improve the sound over the included ones in the bundle...

Ahh... but the other thing to consider is that the amp in this woot is more powerful (110 w vs. 60) and has Audessey room EQ whereas last weeks deal did not have that feature. This is a better amp with speakers for only $70 more this deal CRUSHES last weeks deal IMO

lroller

quality posts: 15 Private Messages lroller

I'm in for one for my new townhouse. Was going to delay this type of purchase, but the price for a new system can't be beat. Together with my new LED Sylvania can speaker lights and my new George Forman grill I am in. Woot how about a nice Krups Beertender to round out my bliss.

gr8music

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gr8music
mProwler wrote:Awesome deal! I'm wondering if the amp will handle the Klipsch Quintet speakers I have (still in the box).

The amp's nominal impedance is 6 ohms, the Quintets are 8 ohms. The Dynamic Power section of Onkyo's product specifications page lists 85 W @ 8 ohms, and the Quintets are 75 W RMS (8 ohms).

Any reason this would not be a good fit?

Just don't push the Quints too hard, that 85 wpc spec is probably at a very high distortion level. Always remember, you can't have ENOUGH clean power, but distorted low power will cook the coils.

MrBoylan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MrBoylan
bpesca wrote:Is it possible to make this system wireless? The front speakers with wires are fine but I hate running wires to the back of the living room!

Yes, you can go "wireless" for the rear speakers, as much as you can with any receiver, by adding on a wireless amp for the rear channels or an integrated amp/speaker unit. But keep in mind that even wireless rear speakers will need to be plugged in for power. So you'll eliminate the need to run wires from the front to back of the room, but you'll still need power wires in the back.

You can either add on something like the Polk Wireless/FX which includes the wireless transmitter, receiver, speakers and amp:

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Wireless-Surround-Sound/dp/B0049Z89MS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1358520482&sr=8-7&keywords=wireless+rear+speakers

Or just get a wireless transmitter, receiver and amp, which would work with the included rear speakers (like this one):

http://www.amazon.com/Soundcast-SCS100-SurroundCast-System/dp/B003F7R7SI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358520631&sr=1-3&keywords=wireless+speaker+amplifier

HTH...

-CB

gr8music

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gr8music

I'm wondering if the HDMI inputs are pass-through. My current setup requires that the receiver be on at all times and drives me crazy when I just want the news.

My apologies if this has already been addressed - no time to read all comments!

gatorguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gatorguy

Is this system wireless?

carolsun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carolsun

I am curious how does this compare to the Denon AVR-1312, selling at $250 on WOOT back in December (that one is refurb though). Could anyone of you experts kindly tell me?

gatorguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gatorguy

Sorry for the repeat question. Am just getting thru all of the conversations.

mikem53

Those are peak power ratings... basically unusable.. more for marketing than anything else.. besides.. if the first few watts are
Low quality... who wants hundreds more?
Most listening levels only need a few watts to play at reasonable levels..
Its those first few watts that count.. the rest is marketing hype and distortion..

dblaa2000 wrote:Ahh... but the other thing to consider is that the amp in this woot is more powerful (110 w vs. 60) and has Audessey room EQ whereas last weeks deal did not have that feature. This is a better amp with speakers for only $70 more this deal CRUSHES last weeks deal IMO

jrlongino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrlongino

OK - I am a total surround sound rookie, but I just got a 55" Panasonic Plasma and I have a Samsung 3D player (on Woot!) I am ready to pull the trigger - Is this as good a deal as it looks? Will I find something better soon?

mikem53

In this price range.. you should choose the receiver you want based on options and features.. you won't find much sonic differences among units in this price range. Choose one based on your needs for inputs, HDMI pass thru, etc...

carolsun wrote:I am curious how does this compare to the Denon AVR-1312, selling at $250 on WOOT back in December (that one is refurb though). Could anyone of you experts kindly tell me?

dblaa2000

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Onkyo-AVX-290-5.1-CH-Home-Theater-System/21064275#Product+Reviews

fstopdigital

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fstopdigital
jrlongino wrote:OK - I am a total surround sound rookie, but I just got a 55" Panasonic Plasma and I have a Samsung 3D player (on Woot!) I am ready to pull the trigger - Is this as good a deal as it looks? Will I find something better soon?

not for this price. Or for under $400, for that matter

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
mikem53 wrote:Those are peak power ratings... basically unusable.. more for marketing than anything else.. besides.. if the first few watts are
Low quality... who wants hundreds more?
Most listening levels only need a few watts to play at reasonable levels..
Its those first few watts that count.. the rest is marketing hype and distortion..

If you'd look closer you'd notice that it says "FTC" after the watt rating. That should mean the rating complies with the old FTC regulation and is therefore RMS, and not Peak. Onkyo has typically been very good about that, as well as specifying the impedance. Also, 100dB SNR, and 0.08% THD at 20Hz - 20kHz, Half Power, are pretty good for an inexpensive HTIB receiver.

mikem53

I agree.. specs are very good for an inexpensive receiver.. but you take power up to its high RMS levels.. and I guarantee it will sound bad... but yet look fine on an oscilloscope..
Which is how its rated.. and that high power rating is measured only at one freq..
Only your ears can decide...

kmartind wrote:If you'd look closer you'd notice that it says "FTC" after the watt rating. That should mean the rating complies with the old FTC regulation and is therefore RMS, and not Peak. Onkyo has typically been very good about that, as well as specifying the impedance. Also, 0.08% THD at 20Hz - 20kHz, Half Power, is pretty good for an inexpensive HTIB receiver.

g99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages g99

Sad that this came so close to the other Onkyo. Really makes me wish I waited for this obviously superior system.

But hey, that is the internet. Can't predict anything. I just work to make last week's system the best it can be. It's not like with the kids I can play earth shattering sound anyways. Loud is more than enough with a good subwoofer. [/rationalizing]

Actually last week's purchase still saved me tons of money over buying new at retail. so seriously - thanks Woot for offering these. Now offer this same speaker set cheap for us last week purchasers! :-P

jchkao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jchkao
carolsun wrote:I am curious how does this compare to the Denon AVR-1312, selling at $250 on WOOT back in December (that one is refurb though). Could anyone of you experts kindly tell me?

While I am by no means an expert, I just wanted to mention that I also wooted that deal and that it came with a 5.1 Boston Accoustics speaker set (not sure if the speakers and sub-woofer were new or refurb like the Denon receiver). I, too am hopeing an expert or two will compare the systems for us. Thank you.

covert0p5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages covert0p5

I second a question that was already asked... does this support standby pass-through? Meaning, can I still use my TV/Speakers without turning this on, if I don't want the surround sound?

spikedknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages spikedknight

Hmmm, I almost jumped last week, now this is more tempting.
As an apartment dweller, the lower power isn't a killer, and even after re-re-re-wiring my 2000 era Pioneer receiver and component speakers, I'm not satisfied with the sound, having echo issues and unless it's on the louder side of things, lacks any clarity.

Decisions, decisions.....

profile V 2.0

Nacho1545

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nacho1545

If B speakers are enabled, do your other speakers still play music? I want to use this for my whole house so need the normal speakers to work at the same time when I enable the other room.

ki4rxm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ki4rxm
covert0p5 wrote:I second a question that was already asked... does this support standby pass-through? Meaning, can I still use my TV/Speakers without turning this on, if I don't want the surround sound?

No. There are only a few receivers under $400 that support this feature. The Onkyo HT-RC460, TX-NR515 and up supposedly have the ability but there have been MANY reports that it is buggy and doesn't work correctly. I think some of the newest Denon products can do this, too.

Edit: I may be wrong on this. It has been pointed out that this feature is mentioned in the manual, though the manual serves double duty for the 290 [this one] and the 390. Sorry if I confused anybody, but I still can't find anywhere that specifically says that this feature is included on the 290.

ki4rxm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ki4rxm

Also, to those who are considering this, realize that even though the listing mentions Audyssey, according to the Onkyo page this system does not have the ability to auto-calibrate for your room and speakers using a microphone like some of the newer/higher-end Onkyos.

norwestguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages norwestguy

Can I plug my Iphone into this system?

jchkao

jrlongino wrote:OK - I am a total surround sound rookie, but I just got a 55" Panasonic Plasma and I have a Samsung 3D player (on Woot!) I am ready to pull the trigger - Is this as good a deal as it looks? Will I find something better soon?

This is a pretty awesome deal. However, with that said, an even more awesome deal is always possible. I purchased the Okyno ht-s5500 from Amazon for $237 less than a month ago. That system's MSRP is $699 and it was on sale for about $250 then about $243 and then it dropped to $237 and change before going back to its current price. That system has a 7.1 speaker system and a better receiver and more power. So for about $32-$37 (factoring in the $5 Woot s/h) the Okyno ht-s5500 beats this system in my humble opinion. So while this is a pretty awesome deal, I was tempted to get one but I really don't need another system, an even more awesome deal is always possible. Ask yourself if you have the time and patience to wait and as Amazon prices do go up and down you also have to ask youself if you feel lucky? Well, do ya? (lol) :-)

jchkao

ki4rxm wrote:Also, to those who are considering this, realize that even though the listing mentions Audyssey, according to the Onkyo page this system does not have the ability to auto-calibrate for your room and speakers using a microphone like some of the newer/higher-end Onkyos.

Good to know. Thanks!

Nacho1545

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nacho1545
jchkao wrote:Good to know. Thanks!

Thanks! This makes it a bust for me. I have speakers in the ceiling and some just bellow the TV and need the auto calibration

adamf663

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adamf663

Just a word of warning from an owner of onkyo's high end HT in a box system: 1) the receiver is very very cheap and nothing like anything onkyo sells separately. IC audio amps versus discrete for example. 2) onkyo has a very nasty tendency to include the speaker bezels in their speaker measurements. 3.25" is very very small for anything but a tweeter. Be careful the actual cone isn't even smaller!! You can probably do much better buying a year old HTinabox system on craigslist.

gesnerj59

quality posts: 9 Private Messages gesnerj59

Nice system for the money. Good entry level set up for small to medium size room.