covert0p5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages covert0p5
ki4rxm wrote:No. There are only a few receivers under $400 that support this feature. The Onkyo HT-RC460, TX-NR515 and up supposedly have the ability but there have been MANY reports that it is buggy and doesn't work correctly. I think some of the newest Denon products can do this, too.

Dang. So I guess it just either has to stay on, or I have to turn it on every time. How much of a difference in power consumption is there when it's on/being used vs when it's on/not being used vs standby? Wondering if I can leave it on all the time..

alishahnovin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alishahnovin

Thoughts about making this a front-only system? My living room set up doesn't really allow for rear speakers, so I'd have to go with front-only set up.

Curious if that's fine with this system, or if it'd be better to go with one of those Bose front-only system.

electricblue404

quality posts: 2 Private Messages electricblue404
dblaa2000 wrote:Ahh... but the other thing to consider is that the amp in this woot is more powerful (110 w vs. 60) and has Audessey room EQ whereas last weeks deal did not have that feature. This is a better amp with speakers for only $70 more this deal CRUSHES last weeks deal IMO

I think this receiver is actually 85 W at 8ohms. The 110 W figure said 6omhs in the fine print.

So, this receiver is certainly more powerful than the one last week (that I bought :-), but not quite twice as powerful.

gtxr100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gtxr100

http://www.onkyousa.com/press_releases.cfm?id=253

Read before buying

Wheatking

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wheatking

I completely agree. I have this system hooked up to a 46in Sony Bravia and the HDCP handshake bewteen the two components is unpredictable.

The receiver also doesn't always pick up the correct audio signal from my Xbox. Sometimes it recognizes the Dolby Digital signal, and sometimes it doesn't.

When it works....it sounds great, however.

rimerson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rimerson

I bought a Onkyo amplifier on woot a couple weeks ago. I set up my Comcast remote to turn it on and off. It will turn it off but not on. The online FAQ was useless. They said they had turned off their mail support system because it was getting over loaded. Guess I'll try again today.

BTW the amplifier is much larger then I expected so it doesn't fit in my cabinet under the tv with the cable box on top of it.

Wheatking

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wheatking
gr8music wrote:I'm wondering if the HDMI inputs are pass-through. My current setup requires that the receiver be on at all times and drives me crazy when I just want the news.

My apologies if this has already been addressed - no time to read all comments!

Yes, it does have HDMI pass-through.

mancini77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mancini77

They just had the receiver on Woot a week ago for $129.. now selling it with a complete package for $199. What The Hay?? I wouldn't have bought the receiver alone if I knew they had this package.....

beerye1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beerye1981

Does anyone know if this receiver support ARC (Audio return channel)? This would make it so the TV sound from basic cable channels(no cable box)can play through the receiver with an HDMI cable, rather than running in a separate aux input.

geniusdeano

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geniusdeano
Wheatking wrote:Yes, it does have HDMI pass-through.

This seems to conflict with some of the previous information provided. Do you know this from personal experience?

I haven't been able to locate any information elsewhere that would confirm that this RCVR has HDMI Pass-through. I am already in for one as this is a great deal and the HDMI Pass thru would just make the deal that much sweeter.

ehmanta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ehmanta
jchkao wrote:This is a pretty awesome deal. However, with that said, an even more awesome deal is always possible. I purchased the Okyno ht-s5500 from Amazon for $237 less than a month ago. That system's MSRP is $699 and it was on sale for about $250 then about $243 and then it dropped to $237 and change before going back to its current price. That system has a 7.1 speaker system and a better receiver and more power. So for about $32-$37 (factoring in the $5 Woot s/h) the Okyno ht-s5500 beats this system in my humble opinion. So while this is a pretty awesome deal, I was tempted to get one but I really don't need another system, an even more awesome deal is always possible. Ask yourself if you have the time and patience to wait and as Amazon prices do go up and down you also have to ask youself if you feel lucky? Well, do ya? (lol) :-)

Unfortunately, that system is now $349 on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077V88ZE/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1DCMJDDCQSH389DS5BWW&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

bubs62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bubs62

Can it be returned if I don't like it?

ehmanta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ehmanta
gtxr100 wrote:http://www.onkyousa.com/press_releases.cfm?id=253

Read before buying

Thanks for posting this link, but the Woot model, AVX-290, is not specifically listed as a defective model from that recall list.

Woody1150

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Woody1150
geniusdeano wrote:This seems to conflict with some of the previous information provided. Do you know this from personal experience?

I haven't been able to locate any information elsewhere that would confirm that this RCVR has HDMI Pass-through. I am already in for one as this is a great deal and the HDMI Pass thru would just make the deal that much sweeter.

I'm with you. This is the deal breaking piece of info for me. I can't find it anywhere and have seen conflicting posts. If someone could clarify, either from personal experience or otherwise if it does/does not have HDMI pass through it would be appreciated.

Mark009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mark009

Does this Model have auto setup, room calibration, Dynamic EQ or Dynamic Volume?

sweh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sweh
ki4rxm wrote:No. There are only a few receivers under $400 that support this feature. The Onkyo HT-RC460, TX-NR515 and up supposedly have the ability but there have been MANY reports that it is buggy and doesn't work correctly. I think some of the newest Denon products can do this, too.

New Pioneers can do this as well (eg the VSX-1022-K, which was around $250 on an earlier woot)

jkim809

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jkim809
Woody1150 wrote:I'm with you. This is the deal breaking piece of info for me. I can't find it anywhere and have seen conflicting posts. If someone could clarify, either from personal experience or otherwise if it does/does not have HDMI pass through it would be appreciated.

According to the manual there is at least the option. How well it works I can't say.

When enabling the HDMI Through function, regardless of whether the AV receiver is On or in Standby, both audio and video stream from an HDMI input will be output to the TV or other components via HDMI connection. The HDMI THRU and HDMI indicators light when enabled. This setting is set to “Auto” automatically when the above “HDMI Ctrl (RIHD)” is set to “On”.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
bubs62 wrote:Can it be returned if I don't like it?

Yes, but you won't get your money back. ;)

fstopdigital

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fstopdigital
Mark009 wrote:Does this Model have auto setup, room calibration, Dynamic EQ or Dynamic Volume?

no auto setup

yes room calibration (you can manually adjust speaker distance in OSD menus)

Yes to dynamic EQ and volume (I'm pretty sure)

scurveycurve

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scurveycurve
fstopdigital wrote:I've owned this system for over a year, it is LOUD (never really turn it over 60%, even for the avengers, and xbox / ps3 seems to output an even louder signal, 50% is room-shaking) the quality and definition is many times better than the sony 5.1 system I used to have, and you will not find a better price on this NEW

this is one of the best woots in a while. If I didn't already own it I'd buy it again

i've had NO problems with this system technical or otherwise

you should buy it again and get 10.2 surround sound

dblaa2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dblaa2000
ehmanta wrote:Thanks for posting this link, but the Woot model, AVX-290, is not specifically listed as a defective model from that recall list.

I think this might be an issue with the speakers (not the amp) but I am not sure if the speakers in this bundle are on that recall list

codymonday

quality posts: 0 Private Messages codymonday

I am giving it ago; always wanted this type of home theater and you can't beat the price!

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
dblaa2000 wrote:I think this might be an issue with the speakers (not the amp) but I am not sure if the speakers in this bundle are on that recall list

Doesn't look like it, especially considering that several of the affected products don't even come with speakers.
In any case, these units are unlikely to be affected and if by some chance they were, it would get taken care of at no cost to you according to the referenced page.

jonesey10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonesey10
dsruss wrote:Beware HDCP issues. I purchased this system new from amazon about 6 months ago. Panasonic 3d bluray plugged straight into my Samsung LCD no problems. Routed through the onkyo? Not so good. Repeated signal loss due to aforementioned issues. Receiver doesn't like the handshake between certain components. I gave up after the second unit shipped and failed.

Did you ever find or hear a solution to those problems? What kind of system to you now have?

I have this Onkyo system and its more than 6 mo old but just in the last few months started having the same problems you describe. I cannot replace it now but am desperately seeking a solution. Have any advice?

ki4rxm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ki4rxm
jkim809 wrote:

Good catch, it does appear in the manual; I was under the impression that that function wasn't available in the 290, though. I may be incorrect.

todmacher

quality posts: 3 Private Messages todmacher
beerye1981 wrote:Does anyone know if this receiver support ARC (Audio return channel)? This would make it so the TV sound from basic cable channels(no cable box)can play through the receiver with an HDMI cable, rather than running in a separate aux input.

Per the listed product specs: (4) HDMI v1.4a with 3D video & ARC support

kmartind

jonesey10 wrote:I have this Onkyo system and its more than 6 mo old but just in the last few months started having the same problems you describe. I cannot replace it now but am desperately seeking a solution. Have any advice?

Doesn't hurt to try the simple stuff first just in case.
So replace the HDMI cables with known-good ones. They don't have to be the overpriced "premium" cables, just decent quality ones labeled as high speed HDMI. There actually are some really junky (or just defective or damaged) cables out there that can cause problems so eliminating that first before moving on to the more expensive stuff often makes sense.

Then at that point you have to figure out whose "fault" it is. It is entirely possible that either the TV or the Blu-ray player are non-compliant with the documented standards in some minor way and the receiver expects them to be compliant, while they are more lenient of each other. Or it could be an actual fault in the receiver. If any of the devices involved (tv, blu-ray, receiver, etc) are updatable via network or USB, etc, be sure to update them to the latest software/firmware as updates often contain fixes for various issues. It's also sometimes a good idea to try turning everything off, and then physically unplugging the power cords and leaving them unplugged for a while (somewhere between a few minutes and overnight), then plug them back in and see if the behavior might have improved.

leon3357

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leon3357

Is this better than the refurbished Denon DHT-1312BA I bought 2 months ago for around $250?

yakatme

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yakatme
dblaa2000 wrote:Ahh... but the other thing to consider is that the amp in this woot is more powerful (110 w vs. 60) and has Audessey room EQ whereas last weeks deal did not have that feature. This is a better amp with speakers for only $70 more this deal CRUSHES last weeks deal IMO

Yeah, I bought the receiver last week and it stinks that I could have had a complete system if I hadn't jumped on that one. Thanks a lot, Woot!

jzarkower

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jzarkower
kevlam69 wrote:Will I be able to play my cable through this system? My current system will not and I would love to hear sports through surround sound.

Yes - good application for this.

taylorsjones

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taylorsjones

I have a projector and I want to watch over-the-air HDTV on it. It's my understanding that I need:

HD antenna -> HD tuner -> projector.

Will this work as an HD tuner? I see it has a coax port on the back and it comes with a remote...so I have hope. Thanks for whoever answers!

flintstone40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flintstone40

Looks like Woot is no longer cancelling orders.
Instead of cancelling the order(placed on the same day),
They will ship them item and
then you have RMA it back
and pay for the shipping both ways.

This policy may losing customers
and should be reconsidered

Barry

todmacher

taylorsjones wrote:I have a projector and I want to watch over-the-air HDTV on it. It's my understanding that I need:

Will this work as an HD tuner? I see it has a coax port on the back and it comes with a remote...so I have hope. Thanks for whoever answers!

I sincerely doubt this has an integrated HD tuner as it does not list any HDTV standards under the tuner specifications.

kmartind

taylorsjones wrote:I have a projector and I want to watch over-the-air HDTV on it. It's my understanding that I need:

Unfortunately no. The term you're looking for is ATSC tuner. Very few receivers would come with one since all TVs sold in the last several years (and even a few projectors) have them.
I use a projector also. There are several options. One is a standalone ATSC tuner with an HDMI output, another is a home theater PC with a tuner card. Or a DVD recorder that has an ATSC tuner, or a DVR that supports OTA recording. A used TiVo series 3 or 4 would probably work too, but I haven't tried one without the service in recent years. You used to be able to at least watch TV, but not get any guide listings.

bozz151

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bozz151

Anybody know if there is a Bluetooth adapter for this bad boy?

rthethird

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rthethird

Very close to jumping on this as my first ever Woot! However, I have one quick question, I have the Samsung HW-E450 soundbar with wireless subwoofer. Could the reciever handle the sound bar plus all the speakers included or can I even hook the soundbar up to it?
Here's a link to my sound bar, thanks for the help!
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-theater/HW-E450C/ZA

tdford6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tdford6
dsruss wrote:Beware HDCP issues. I purchased this system new from amazon about 6 months ago. Panasonic 3d bluray plugged straight into my Samsung LCD no problems. Routed through the onkyo? Not so good. Repeated signal loss due to aforementioned issues. Receiver doesn't like the handshake between certain components. I gave up after the second unit shipped and failed.

I read to turn off dark blacks on the Onkyo and it fixes the issue but does not change the picture quality. Someone had issues with a bluray player, but not their PS3.

johnt007871

quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871

I'm very interested in this... but this "Passive sub"... so its more of a pud pud and not boom boom?

todmacher

johnt007871 wrote:I'm very interested in this... but this "Passive sub"... so its more of a pud pud and not boom boom?

It means the amp for the sub is built into the receiver, not a discrete amp in the sub box. The disadvantage is in the supposed lack of upgrade path. Others in this discussion have reported it working fine with active subs, though.

kmartind

johnt007871 wrote:I'm very interested in this... but this "Passive sub"... so its more of a pud pud and not boom boom?

That just means that the sub is powered by the amplifier in the receiver, versus an active (powered) sub which would have a separate amplifier in it. When connected to the receiver it's still a "true" 130W sub, which is plenty for a small room, and rated to 30Hz. You can't really expect much response below 30Hz at anywhere near this price range.