Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
1frankster wrote:I just can't see it with no alternative for power. 12 D's is expensive as hell!! If it had a way to connect 12V it would be perfect as I could setup a solar panel on top and just bring along a 12V car battery which will charge as you run it from the panel - or a few minutes to a vehicle jumper cables.

edit: well I guess you could use a inverter.

You can! This uses the typical 12VDC tip positive power supply. Just get a 12V cigarette lighter cord for it and you're set! Power it from anything you want that will deliver 12.6 - 18 volts. Just be aware that this will deliver a lot more output power at 18V (12 D cells or included power supply) than at 12.6v. But you'd need one hell of a solar panel to keep a car battery up while playing this.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

cosmictrucker

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cosmictrucker

Remember back when Rush Limbaugh was advertising for Bose? The man was going deaf, but praised the sound quality of Bose. I can't help but think about this when I read positive responses for something like these boom boxes.

angrywooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angrywooter

So...does anyone have experience with the Sound cube and the 2-Speaker Boombox? Care to compare the two?

Ringo4422

angrywooter wrote:So...does anyone have experience with the Sound cube and the 2-Speaker Boombox? Care to compare the two?

I have played with the 2-Speaker one at Best Buy. I wasn't overly impressed with the sound quality. The bass control is pretty high up in the bass region so I found it to make it sound rather muddy when turned up past center. The cube definitely covers the lower bass spectrum much better.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

repsol05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages repsol05
Habenero61 wrote:I bought one of these a couple weeks ago over at Daily Steals. It's one of the best deals ever. Great sound, very well built, and very loud. I did hear that if you leave batteries in it they will slowly drain over time. So I just stuck a small piece of cardboard between the last connection and it has not drained. Then I just remove it when I want to use batteries.

That is a great tip!

pillsdoughboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pillsdoughboy

How can i buy both versions in one order??? Sad that there is no 2 day option....

TiHara

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TiHara
pillsdoughboy wrote:How can i buy both versions in one order??? Sad that there is no 2 day option....

I just ordered the cube and there was a 2 day option for $15. I'm not in any hurry so I didn't use it.

denalynn2001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages denalynn2001
iguana71 wrote:Even the manufacturer of this "Road Rocker" is too embarrassed to publish the specs of it on their product page. LOL. Looks to be more of a toy with poor build quality than anything else. Also has a lead acid battery that requires pretty strict attention to maintain battery life.

One of the few reviews I could find stated "I did find the sound distorted if you turned it up beyond the “halfway” mark when using the speaker."

Confession: I am hard of hearing and hence probably somewhat oblivious to audiophile-quality sound. Having said that, I have not had any reason yet to play my Road Rocker beyond about a quarter of its capacity.

It partly depends what your needs are. I wanted a device that I could use outdoors without having to buy craploads of batteries. I also wanted Bluetooth. I got both of those things for a good price, IMHO, and the battery maintenance doesn't look like that big of a deal.

This is really an excellent price for the Sound Cube, which I'm sure sounds better to those who can tell the difference. I'm just relieved, because I thought I was missing out on something. Too many batteries.

markriddle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages markriddle

Question: For those that own this, would this be a good alternative in a small space to a sound bar? I've just not been impressed with the sound bar units I've seen that are under $200. Seems like with the compliments coming about the base it might be good as a 'sound booster' for a TV. Yes/No/Depends???

Ringo4422

markriddle wrote:Question: For those that own this, would this be a good alternative in a small space to a sound bar? I've just not been impressed with the sound bar units I've seen that are under $200. Seems like with the compliments coming about the base it might be good as a 'sound booster' for a TV. Yes/No/Depends???

Yes. It will sound very good in place of a typical "Sound Bar", of which I am not at all fond of. It is just that you would want to place it at the center of the TV for the proper sound stage.
The size and shape of this could make that somewhat of a challenge.

retropug

quality posts: 2 Private Messages retropug
kyfeam wrote:i am a TDK whore.. i have all 3 models 3 speaker 2 speaker and a cube.. i love em all.. but the cube can throw out some serious bass for it's size.. i couldnt resist and bought another cube.. you realize the cube cost $300 about 6 months ago.. at some point there will be none left and the new models just dont have the quality of these models.. i love these boomers.. nothin but quality all the way..

Well I just pulled the trigger myself...I now will have all 3 also..they're just so damn cool looking and awesome sounding. I did not see it mentioned but has anyone gotten a bluetooth adapter to work via usb? The one that that I have is like the one in the link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-A-Sony-Ericsson-MW600-Hi-Fi-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headset-FM-Radio-3-5mm-Stereo-/350661438918?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item51a50cedc6

Thinking you could use this in reverse ...basically sync the sony to your ipod or android device via bluetooth...plug the sony into the aux in of the TDK and then once the sony unit is on you could send your music up to 25ft away to the boom box with either controls from the stick or using your phone / ipod. I need to try that and see if that would actually work.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pillsdoughboy wrote:How can i buy both versions in one order??? Sad that there is no 2 day option....

Select the quantity first. You'll then be given a dropdown box to select the item you want for each.

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

NYBalbowa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NYBalbowa

Just received my order today. Sounds great and it even smells awesome. Maybe I'm just not used to nice things .

aacook2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aacook2

Besides my MacBook Pro, the 2 speaker boombox is my new favorite electronic. Wow. It's really well designed. Sounds incredible. Haven't hooked up the batteries yet. Love the heaviness of it. The leather strap is nice and long.

Hoping to still be using this in 20 years.

blkg35sport

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blkg35sport

I bought both the sound cube and the boombox. Has anyone tried bridging both units or two cube etcs?

woot4rudy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages woot4rudy

Oh no, my 2-Speaker Boombox died. It was the best boombox I "almost" owned.
[UPDATE]
TDK's website does have a firmware update for the unit. It does work now.

Rudy