WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Did you get a flu shot this year?
  • 39.6% - Yes! Of course. 887
  • 3.9% - Not yet, but I will soon! 87
  • 34.3% - Nope. I don’t seem to ever need it. 769
  • 3.6% - I have a legitimate religious or cultural disagreement with the practice that’s not influenced by talking heads. 81
  • 6.5% - If respected scientist Jenny McCarthy says no, then I listen to her. 146
  • 12.1% - I can’t wait to see how horrible the comments section gets. 272
2242 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

I'm still relatively young, so my life probably isn't at risk if I get the flu. I get sick 2-3 times a year and only one of those have flu-like symptoms.

I laughed at the line "respected scientist Jenny McCarthy" though. Considering how much cosmetic surgery she's gotten, she's more "science experiment" rather than "scientist".

derrickmg86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derrickmg86

work made me get it other wise i would not get one but the nice part is they give us the flu mist

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

I'll just avoid all human contact until June. God only knows what else y'all are spreading around that isn't covered by a mercury-drugged virus cocktail. ;-P

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

k4th3r1n3

quality posts: 17 Private Messages k4th3r1n3

I've never needed to get them really... I don't get the flu or colds very easily. I'm lucky I guess :D

vlegran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vlegran

Did not get flu shot. Got super sick. Tested neg. for type A and B. Took tamiflu and got over it. Had to have been a different strain. Was miserable. Don't normally get the flu.

usanettom

quality posts: 11 Private Messages usanettom

I think I've only had the real flu once, and that was H1N1. That was a couple of years ago. I get the stomach flu once every few years. I just don't see a need for the shot.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

I have a unpleasant negative reaction to the flu shot that's only slightly less unpleasant than the actual flu itself. So no, I haven't had it. To me it's a valid reason, my daughters are both allergic to components of the shot and I suspect my 4-5 days of illness may be linked to that.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I have asthma so I'm one of those that needs to get them. I get one every year.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

lobo81865

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lobo81865

I get it every year. I work in a hospital, so I can't risk me or my patients getting sick. A sore arm is a small price to pay for not having had the flu in over 10 years.

ceagee

quality posts: 62 Private Messages ceagee

bad reaction to shots here -- so none for me --dr's orders.
I did get the flu last year for the first time in a long time and then it turned into pneumonia. so that's no fun.
I guess if you can tolerate them best to get them.

a friend got one w/o mercury. why don't they have that for everyone ( It was made for pregnant ladies)

btw -- I checked the Jenny answer cause there wasn't one for my category. and it was silly. silly is good....... as long as you know it is silly. no one really thinks that do they ? :/

oksfinest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oksfinest

I have never gotten the flu. Hell, i dont think ive even been sick in the past 4 years. Last year the lady got the flu, sread it to the kids, also like 3 or 4 of her co-workers... i didnt even get it.

xyuppi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xyuppi

I have never gotten a flu shot. However, I do take "Emergen C" vitamin C or Immune booster regularly. That's my secret for never getting sick.

jeparz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeparz
lobo81865 wrote:I get it every year. I work in a hospital, so I can't risk me or my patients getting sick. A sore arm is a small price to pay for not having had the flu in over 10 years.

It's nice to see someone beyond "me, me, me" and does it to help others from catching the flu. It's fatal to the frail, infants, and elderly.

thesnipe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thesnipe

I work from home, no need for it and if I can avoid my yearly dose of mercury, lead, formaldehyde, etc. I will be better off.

atx85

quality posts: 2 Private Messages atx85
xyuppi wrote:I have never gotten a flu shot. However, I do take "Emergen C" vitamin C or Immune booster regularly. That's my secret for never getting sick.

I often make sure that I increase my vitamin C intake when I'm around lots of people or someone that I know is sick. If I get a cold once a year, that's a lot for me, so I'd consider it a moderate success.

atx85

quality posts: 2 Private Messages atx85

I've never gotten a flu shot. Had the flu once a few years ago. It was horrendous.

1 time in 27 years and I've never had the shot. I'm willing to gamble with those chances rather than putting more chemicals/bacteria/mercury/who knows what else into my body. That's just me though.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

I have never missed a flu shot. And I haven't had the flu in more than 30 years. I worked in an office environment with 500-600 people in the building (most have children) and rarely picked up a cold. I wash my hands a dozen times a day and watch what I eat.
I can understand that people who are allergic to the proteins used in making the vaccine should be careful, but as to the others who use "I don't want to expose myself to impurities" as an excuse - I hope you watch what you eat and wear as carefully as you watch your injections. Otherwise, avoiding the shots may make you a carrier even if you don't get a full dose of the flu.

jlgrimm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlgrimm

I've never had the flu either. I've heard too many people talking about how they contracted it after they received the shot. I don't want anything to do with that.

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches
curtisuxor wrote:I'm still relatively young, so my life probably isn't at risk if I get the flu. I get sick 2-3 times a year and only one of those have flu-like symptoms.

I laughed at the line "respected scientist Jenny McCarthy" though. Considering how much cosmetic surgery she's gotten, she's more "science experiment" rather than "scientist".

Touche.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

johnnymercer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnnymercer

Is it a "cultural disagreement" to say that I'm young enough to handle a flu, so I forgo the shot hoping that someone of a more robust age gets it instead?

Perhaps it's a subconscious effort to ensure that awesome stories can still be told to youth thus improving our collective culture.

maeder

quality posts: 9 Private Messages maeder

I did. So should you! The herd effect matters for protecting others. See explanation here.

merd919

quality posts: 0 Private Messages merd919

I'm another who has never had the flu (Don't do any of the vitamin/herbal preventatives, either.), so I normally don't. But I'm pregnant this winter and can get the shot free through my work, so I did this year.

vrini87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vrini87

Haven't got the shot, don't plan on getting the shot, and I've never actually had the flu. The worst for me is usually an uncomfortable/sometimes painful sore throat once a year, and it usually disappears after 2 - 4 days.

I'm young enough, but honestly, I attribute my good health to being surrounded by filthy mongrels (whom I adore). As a respected scientist of the Jenny McCarthy ilk, it's my theory that over the years I've accumulated a nice thick covering of canine germs. This "doggy microbial layer" blocks the sensors/dohickeys of human pathogens and emits unreadable signals. So, the human viruses/fungi/bacteria, unsure of how to go about infecting this strange dog/human hybrid, fly off in search of a more likely host.

That, or my immune system in preparation of imminent kennel cough, is beefing up its defenses now.

bigdroo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bigdroo

I'm IT in a medical facility, and they offered a shot for flu for free. I got it back in September. Then in December, I got the flu, and it was no fun at all. This year's vaccine sucked!

myfester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages myfester

I sort of forgot to get it...and even with all the news about the flu...well..I still forget (don't feel like) to get it.

myfester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages myfester
vrini87 wrote:Haven't got the shot, don't plan on getting the shot, and I've never actually had the flu. The worst for me is usually an uncomfortable/sometimes painful sore throat once a year, and it usually disappears after 2 - 4 days.

I'm young enough, but honestly, I attribute my good health to being surrounded by filthy mongrels (whom I adore). As a respected scientist of the Jenny McCarthy ilk, it's my theory that over the years I've accumulated a nice thick covering of canine germs. This "doggy microbial layer" blocks the sensors/dohickeys of human pathogens and emits unreadable signals. So, the human viruses/fungi/bacteria, unsure of how to go about infecting this strange dog/human hybrid, fly off in search of a more likely host.

That, or my immune system in preparation of imminent kennel cough, is beefing up its defenses now.

BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....My favorite post!!! I can relate. As a petsitter...I'm totally covered with doggie drool, fur, mud, etc. Germs can't touch me!

daughterjudy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages daughterjudy
curtisuxor wrote:I'm still relatively young, so my life probably isn't at risk if I get the flu. I get sick 2-3 times a year and only one of those have flu-like symptoms.

Although I understand how you feel, you might want to remember that in the 1918 flu epidemic, many of those who died were quite young. That strain seemed to be worse for those with healthy immune systems. Your youth and good health may not be a protection. The other issue is that if you get the flu, you will probably pass it on to others who may not be as healthy as you. My daughter has asthma, and because of that everyone in the family gets a flu shot to minimize her exposure.

daughterjudy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages daughterjudy

My father is in a nursing home. The unit he is in is for Alzheimer's patients and is locked down. They have had a serious outbreak of the flu. My dad, so far, hasn't gotten it. He did receive a flu shot earlier. The entire unit is quarantined. We can't visit, and he can't leave. Several of the residents have been hospitalized with respiratory ailments. My entire family has been vaccinated. So far, no flu.

fhrcreations75155

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fhrcreations75155

Sadly, I have planned to get the flu shot on several occasions. Then when the date arrives, I am either sick (in which case they will not give it), or I am broke (in which case they still will not give it.) Now I have turned into Howard Hughes or Howie Mandel to avoid catching it.

lkreed1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lkreed1

I got a flu shot like every year, and ended up getting Influenza Type A. I'm debating getting one in the future. A close friend also miscarried after getting the flu shot. My toddler son also got his first and only flu shot, got the flu, was given Tamiflu, and ended up being allergic to that, so really debating getting him one in the future - he's 0 for 1.

cooperin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cooperin

I've been using Urban Moonshines Immune Tonic for the past couple months and I've been around a lot of flu-y people. I sometimes feel a little cold-like in the mornings but it always goes away and I haven't gotten sick in a long time. so...Yay Urban Moonshine!

prfesser

quality posts: 7 Private Messages prfesser

Technically, your question is inadequate - shots for the current flu season were offered last year (2012). I got mine in November 2012, which is for the current (2012-2013) flu season. Getting your flu shot now is sort of like closing the barn door after most of the horses have escaped.

thumperchick

quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick

Not this year. The last couple of times I did bother, I caught the flu anyway. My lucky hubs has never gotten the flu shot and gets sick less than I do.

prfesser wrote:Technically, your question is inadequate - shots for the current flu season were offered last year (2012). I got mine in November 2012, which is for the current (2012-2013) flu season. Getting your flu shot now is sort of like closing the barn door after most of the horses have escaped.

And no... they are still recommending it for the current flu season.

myxsomaxholiday

quality posts: 0 Private Messages myxsomaxholiday
bigdroo wrote:I'm IT in a medical facility, and they offered a shot for flu for free. I got it back in September. Then in December, I got the flu, and it was no fun at all. This year's vaccine sucked!

Doesn't mean it sucked - you probably just got a different strain than what you were vaccinated for.

koonced

quality posts: 1 Private Messages koonced

Try finding one. The local Dr's office was out when I tried in early December. They suggested the local health department, which was out. The director said they would get no more the season. Maybe I should move to the city.

worlebird

quality posts: 3 Private Messages worlebird
thesnipe wrote:I can avoid my yearly dose of mercury, lead, formaldehyde, etc. I will be better off.

I assume you stay away from apples, then? I mean, it'd be silly to be worried about a tiny bit of formaldehyde in a vaccine, and then go and eat a food that has several times that much formaldehyde per serving without even blinking an eye. I mean, right?

lootiemcwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lootiemcwoot

I'd rather not have a shot of mercury that is good for -LAST YEAR'S- Flu strain.

thumperchick

quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick
ceagee wrote:btw -- I checked the Jenny answer cause there wasn't one for my category. and it was silly. silly is good....... as long as you know it is silly. no one really thinks that do they ? :/

jolajaka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jolajaka

Nope & not my husband or my kids. Have you really looked at all the stuff they put in that vaccine?

Scientist Jenny McCarthy aside, I up my vitamin intake starting in November. I know when I'm getting sick. I stay home & keep my kids home when they are, too. - That's 1 day AFTER an elevated temperature has ended. Most of all, we don't visit elderly relatives if anyone in the family is potentially sick. That's all I need is a "Grandma died from flu-induced pneumonia the week after you visited"!

I own my own business & am not shy about keeping it closed if I cannot be there to run it without infecting others.