WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

The Farmer and His Dell

What, you think just because he's a salt-of-the-earth blue collar kinda guy that he doesn't enjoy trolling fashion blogs in his spare time? The guy spends 90% of his day shoveling pig slop and the other 10% with a wife who thinks cooking lowfat means using butter instead of lard. Just let the man have his laptop and then let him be.
Dell official site



Quality Posts


inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
ROGETRAY wrote:Dude you're getting a Dell. Anyone have some dude-tacular stories with their Dell experience?
I'm just hanging out, really.

rambo91145


quality posts: 4 Private Messages rambo91145

PC gurus-need some help! My desktop is getting older and a large laptop fits my needs to replace it. I'm going to buy one of the 2 17" laptops today. I have an ipad i use for what i can, but i still need a full function PC.I use my computer for general browsing, light photo and video editing, photo management, music management/some listening/legal downloading and file conversion. I see pros and cons to both-the XPS has nicer speakers, graphics card (not sure if this is too important?), back lit keyboard and a few years ago when it was out it was a premium laptop. The cons are a slightly slower and older processor, a slightly smaller HD and a few less USB ports and more expensive. Does that about sum it up? What is your recommendation? Thanks!

Therevolution


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Therevolution

I'm definitely stuck between the two 17.3" laptops. If I go with the XPS, I pay about a 100 dollars more, have less RAM, less hard drive space, but have an actual graphics card.

On the other hand, if I go with the Inspiron, I may pay less for more, but then I have to gamble with the refurbished status. I'm leaning towards the Inspiron seeing as all I hear from fellow Wooters is the amazing return policy for Woot if I get a goofed up laptop.

idontkn1


quality posts: 4 Private Messages idontkn1
rambo91145 wrote:PC gurus-need some help! My desktop is getting older and a large laptop fits my needs to replace it. I'm going to buy one of the 2 17" laptops today. I have an ipad i use for what i can, but i still need a full function PC.I use my computer for general browsing, light photo and video editing, photo management, music management/some listening/legal downloading and file conversion. I see pros and cons to both-the XPS has nicer speakers, graphics card (not sure if this is too important?), back lit keyboard and a few years ago when it was out it was a premium laptop. The cons are a slightly slower and older processor, a slightly smaller HD and a few less USB ports and more expensive. Does that about sum it up? What is your recommendation? Thanks!



Unless you're going to be using the laptop for some higher end games, a lot of video editing, I'd go with the cheaper Inspiron and spend some of the saved money (maybe 30 bucks) on separate speakers which will sound better than anything the XPS can produce. Both have the same warranty. In five years of buying computers for my company, I've never had any trouble with Dell refurbs.

mikezambrano


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikezambrano
idontkn1 wrote:Unless you're going to be using the laptop for some higher end games, a lot of video editing, I'd go with the cheaper Inspiron and spend some of the saved money (maybe 30 bucks) on separate speakers which will sound better than anything the XPS can produce. Both have the same warranty. In five years of buying computers for my company, I've never had any trouble with Dell refurbs.



If you are going to be using the laptop to view HD video files or an HDTV tuner you might want to contact dell or the tuner manufacturer to make sure the graphics card is powerfull enough to display HD video. Many older laptops and netbooks are not powerfull enough for this. Minimum requirement for HD video is 64mb video memory but i have found on my older dell that the 64 mb it has in its vieo card is still not enough. Again, this is only a consideration if playing HD video such as what is sent to the computer from the silicon dust, HD homerun tuner that was onsale here last week. Great tuner. Ive had one for about 8 years and bought a second one when they went on sale here.... good luck.

mboverload


quality posts: 80 Private Messages mboverload

DUDE, I ALREADY HAVE A DELL. 1611 OF THEM, TO BE EXACT!

117 woots and counting, since 2007. Don't ban me, bro!

iiwizrius


quality posts: 0 Private Messages iiwizrius

http://www.woot.com/offers/latitude-15-6-dual-core-i5-laptop Why does this laptop come with Windows 7 32 bit? That's totally wasting the power of this laptop. I didn't even know any OEM were using x86 operating systems anymore.

imyourxpan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages imyourxpan

I'm thinking about the XPS 17", but how would it run world of Warcraft? I have a MacBook Pro that runs its 30 fps on low-medium settings. I can't find anything online

admiralecker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages admiralecker

I know only the barest of bones about computers, so I'm going to be blunt. Could I play games on the 17.3" Inspiron?

sgtgreeneusmc


quality posts: 5 Private Messages sgtgreeneusmc

Sorry, but I cannot recommend a Dell anymore. I've owned several and they were generally decent computers, but my latest purchase included the protection plan and it has been one giant nightmare. Dell was the thing to own a while back, but their reputation is slipping as is their customer service (although, in fairness, it never had far to go) and their poor attempts at innovation during the recent tablet revolution failed miserably. Still, I know a lot of companies still use them on contract and seem to be happy. Have also heard good things about their XPS line as far as power gaming goes.

joedetroit


quality posts: 5 Private Messages joedetroit
imyourxpan wrote:I'm thinking about the XPS 17", but how would it run world of Warcraft? I have a MacBook Pro that runs its 30 fps on low-medium settings. I can't find anything online



That Dell XPS 17-702X-2PON Laptop will run any game. It's video chipset is NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M!
This machine will likely run hot & it's quite heavy but you should be able to crank WoW up to max settings & still get +30FPS. Maybe back off on some settings for raids but even then it should do well.

The Inspiron will run games, just not all that well. Good enough for screwing around but not for serious gamers.

-joe

sakataguy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sakataguy

Personally, on my 3rd Dell, wouldn't recommend them. -hp- sucks too, and I've had thermal issues with them, but I like my wife's -hp- ProBook more than my Dell Inspiron and Latitudes. And my last Dell power supply, the power cord insulation turned brittle and broke apart and shorted. (bizarre truth!)

..."So instead, we're going to just insert a variety of ASCII boobs. You're welcome. (o)(o) (*)(*) (@)(@) (oYo)"

Alrighty then... I think Woot should have a poll on which of their ASCII art is boobiest.
Voting for (@)(@)

chin78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chin78

Which is a better deal (of the 17in models) from a price standpoint? Are either of these actually good deals to begin with?

chin78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chin78

chin78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chin78

I have a Dell e1705 Inspiron that has served me well since 2006 but the screen is starting to go. I thought of replacing just the screen but if one of these deals is worth it, I may grab one. I'm leaning towards the XPS.

kpreyer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kpreyer

Be careful buying a refurbished Dell product. I bought a refurbished Alienware over two months ago and I'm still dealing with customer support to get my computer working and with the specs they said they would give me.

chin78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chin78

What is 'Previously Ordered As New'?

*Forget it, ordered but cancelled basically.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
chin78 wrote:What is 'Previously Ordered As New'?

*Forget it, ordered but cancelled basically.



(According to Dell's site)
Previously-ordered New systems include systems that are "never used systems, canceled orders, or returns that were never fully booted":
- never turned on, or never fully booted by another customer
- May have been powered on by a customer before (This does not apply to Electronics and Accessories)
- Systems are tested to meet factory specifications including system condition and power-up test. Electronics & Accessories are visually inspected. Any defective parts are replaced as needed for Refurbished and Scratch & Dent products.
- May have been shipped out to another customer before
- May include accessories such as keyboards or speakers that came from previously opened systems. All accessories are checked for scratches, other damages, or dirt to ensure only items in excellent condition are used.

Via: http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/delloutlet?c=us&l=en&cs=22

I'm just hanging out, really.

mboverload


quality posts: 80 Private Messages mboverload
sgtgreeneusmc wrote:Sorry, but I cannot recommend a Dell anymore. I've owned several and they were generally decent computers, but my latest purchase included the protection plan and it has been one giant nightmare. Dell was the thing to own a while back, but their reputation is slipping as is their customer service (although, in fairness, it never had far to go) and their poor attempts at innovation during the recent tablet revolution failed miserably. Still, I know a lot of companies still use them on contract and seem to be happy. Have also heard good things about their XPS line as far as power gaming goes.



In generally the consumer-grade laptops of any company can't be compared to their business lines. The Dell Latitude (business series) are pretty great machines.

117 woots and counting, since 2007. Don't ban me, bro!

note2001


quality posts: 27 Private Messages note2001
mboverload wrote:In generally the consumer-grade laptops of any company can't be compared to their business lines. The Dell Latitude (business series) are pretty great machines.



Dell Latitude was the machine of choice for leased equipment when I worked for HP 3 years back. Yup, you read that right, HP leased equipment from Dell. And yes, the latitudes had a known video card problem causing 1 in 5 to overheat.

gotseven


quality posts: 1 Private Messages gotseven

Woot's pricing on their stuff used to be really good, nowadays it seems their deals are just meh. These dell laptops are found cheaper on a variety of sites. IMO these need to be $100 cheaper each, with the exception of the $340 laptop.

It disappoints me i guess. woot still has some good stuff for cheap (like AA batteries), but on computer stuff they are obviously trying to squeeze every penny they think they can get away with on these refurb deals.

mboverload


quality posts: 80 Private Messages mboverload
gotseven wrote:Woot's pricing on their stuff used to be really good, nowadays it seems their deals are just meh. These dell laptops are found cheaper on a variety of sites. IMO these need to be $100 cheaper each, with the exception of the $340 laptop.

It disappoints me i guess. woot still has some good stuff for cheap (like AA batteries), but on computer stuff they are obviously trying to squeeze every penny they think they can get away with on these refurb deals.



I think these "side deals" are just wallet stuffers for Woot. Some of the galleries they feature do have some insane deals, though.

117 woots and counting, since 2007. Don't ban me, bro!

hdlp


quality posts: 2 Private Messages hdlp
rambo91145 wrote:PC gurus-need some help! My desktop is getting older and a large laptop fits my needs to replace it. I'm going to buy one of the 2 17" laptops today. I have an ipad i use for what i can, but i still need a full function PC.I use my computer for general browsing, light photo and video editing, photo management, music management/some listening/legal downloading and file conversion. I see pros and cons to both-the XPS has nicer speakers, graphics card (not sure if this is too important?), back lit keyboard and a few years ago when it was out it was a premium laptop. The cons are a slightly slower and older processor, a slightly smaller HD and a few less USB ports and more expensive. Does that about sum it up? What is your recommendation? Thanks!


Dell is having a 25% off promo for refurbished computer priced $1,500+
content.dell.com/us/en/dfb/d/campaigns/dfh_dell_outlet_deals.aspx?dgc=EM&cid=258511&lid=4621826
They also have free 3-5 day shipping. I decided to buy one Alienware Aurora R4 today for $1,255 after all coupon and tax. I heard arguments from both sides about refurbished products, hopefully this one was fixed with whatever problems it might have had. I bought it for the cool case and fast processor, Win7, and of course the Alieware name. I can't find how many USB3 this PC has though, hopefully, there're at least two. Can anyone offer comment on the specs?


Dell Outlet Alienware Aurora R4 Desktop
Processor: Intel Core i7-3820 Processor (3.6GHz,Quad Core, 10MB Cache) Overclocked up to 4.1GHz
120V Power Cord
2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
Shipping Material
Label
24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
USB Optical 2-Button/Wheel Mouse
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
Alienware Aurora STD Black Chassis
Certified Refurbished
8GB, DDR3 UDIMM Memory, 1600MHz, Non-ECC (4 x 2 GB DIMMs)
Alienware MM Keyboard
Service Software
Soft Contracts Dell In-Home Hardware Agreement for Alienware
Placemat
Information
Software
Information
Internal USB Bluetooth + WLAN
Thermal HeatSink
Wave Systems Software
AlienFX Color, Quasar Blue
Alienware AVATAR 1
Software
Shipping Material
Information
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Service Pack 1
1TB 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
Software
Documentation


Last thought, I hope this PC work alright. The last time I had to cancel an order from Dell, it was a real pain in the rear, as they passed me though so many oversea phone supporters (Indian?). I could hardly have a proper conversation with these people.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gotseven wrote:Woot's pricing on their stuff used to be really good, nowadays it seems their deals are just meh. These dell laptops are found cheaper on a variety of sites. IMO these need to be $100 cheaper each, with the exception of the $340 laptop.

It disappoints me i guess. woot still has some good stuff for cheap (like AA batteries), but on computer stuff they are obviously trying to squeeze every penny they think they can get away with on these refurb deals.



Computers are always tough to price as it's a very competitive market. We do our best.

Pricing in the PLUS events may not always be the killer pricing you're used to seeing in the daily deals. That's because they're in smaller quantities (which why they can't be a daily deal) and sometimes niche products.

We know you'll shop for the best price and respect that. Remember to factor in unlocked free shipping for the day after your first purchase.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

wdsims63


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wdsims63
imyourxpan wrote:I'm thinking about the XPS 17", but how would it run world of Warcraft? I have a MacBook Pro that runs its 30 fps on low-medium settings. I can't find anything online



Yeah, any of those Dell's will run World of Warcraft. You should have much trouble with an 8 year old game on a brand new machine. The built-in graphics on the Inspiron machine should handle it well, and the XPS won't even flinch at it.

Same goes for HD video. These things are going to play any HD video you throw at it without a problem.

rangerrock


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rangerrock
wdsims63 wrote:Yeah, any of those Dell's will run World of Warcraft. You should have much trouble with an 8 year old game on a brand new machine. The built-in graphics on the Inspiron machine should handle it well, and the XPS won't even flinch at it.

Same goes for HD video. These things are going to play any HD video you throw at it without a problem.



I bought one on the previous laptop Woot. Playing all the modern first-person shooting games and MMORPGs works great (30+ FPS with most features turned on is not a problem).
My only problem is that, with the dual video chips, switching between full-screen games and the desktop (wiki viewing, messaging) causes older games to crash out on the switch back (Portal, for example). Newer games handle the transition between video chips just fine.
Don't let the slightly slower CPU hold you back from buying it. CPUs get slower ever month (relative to newer offerings) -- and I can only play Solitaire so fast.

rol456777


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rol456777

Uncle ben thanks for showing me this site really like my frist order