ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Jurassic Park was the box office hit of 1993 grossing over $357M. But some consider Schindler's List to be the best movie of the year.

What was your favorite movie of 1993 and why?

Here are some lists to get you started:

IMDB by Most Popular

Box Office Gross

For me, we didn't see many movies that year as our son was only 3. I'd have to say that it's either Mrs. Doubtfire or Groundhog Dayas I'm a sucker for comedies. Although Harrison Ford in The Fugitive was pretty good too.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

thumperchick

quality posts: 248 Private Messages thumperchick

Wow, a lot of great movies came out that year!

I was going to go with True Romance, but then saw A Bronx Tale! Of course you have to give a shout out to Groundhog Day, the Bill Murray classic!

I miss '93.

Batman4oz

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Batman4oz
ThunderThighs wrote:Jurassic Park was the box office hit of 1993 grossing over $357M. But some consider Schindler's List to be the best movie of the year.

What was your favorite movie of 1993 and why?

Here are some lists to get you started:

IMDB by Most Popular

Box Office Gross

For me, we didn't see many movies that year as our son was only 3. I'd have to say that it's either Mrs. Doubtfire or Groundhog Dayas I'm a sucker for comedies. Although Harrison Ford in The Fugitive was pretty good too.

Yes, Groundhog Day was a very good movie...and Hocus Pocus was just plain fun! (Okay..I worked at Disney Studios, so I Am a bit partial!)
There were so many good movies that year (as any year, there are always at least a few good ones!)
Jurassic Park was fantastic...The Firm was dramatic and exciting...Fire in The Sky...scary and thought-provoking...
But I will stop now!
^^X^^

Wooting for Bat Capes
JUDY-ism...the Only Religion I need!
WWJD...What Would JUDY Do?!
thebatcaveofoz.us
^^X^^

BelyndaG

quality posts: 19 Private Messages BelyndaG

Wow! I saw a lot of those! (Unlike the past few years when I didn't have a clue who the nominees were at the awards shows.)

Some really great movies, but the one that I have to watch every time it comes on TV is Groundhog Day.

And in case I forget to mention it, the one that I have to watch every time it comes on TV is Groundhog Day.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

The one that became my son's favorite a few years later when released on VHS was Homeward Bound. We watched that soooo many times.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen

True Romance is probably my favorite out of the top 50 from the IMDB list but I also have to give a nod to What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee

wow there were a lot of good movies that year. I haven't seen much lately either.

I thought Joan Cuszak was a hoot in
"Adams Family Values" but then she always is.

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee

But a favorite out of all those ? That's a tough one.

Merchant Ivory fan here. "Remains of the Day" was spectacular.
and those kind of films....
The Piano
In the Name of the Father
Much Ado about Nothing was a fun romp
Denzel in tights. yum !

Yes Yes. loved the top ones.
Schindler's isn't exactly a movie to watch again. ( But a great film)
I don't like to watch dinosaurs eating people.

Ground Hog day is coming up and I always check that out on tv.
classic.
Gilbert Grape..... I think Dicaprio's best work.
Benny and June...... another score for Depp in the same year.

I think they should of put Cary G.'s version of "an Affair to Remember " on the list as a re-release, since it was in Sleepless in Seattle. Loved the soundtrack.

Didn't think Hank's deserved Oscar for Philadelphia. Wasn't his best. There were better performances. It was more political. Like above mentioned Anthony Hopkins, the master of restrained, suppressed emotion.

I have tommy lee jones' voice in my head : Dr. Richard Kimball.......

nope can't pick a favorite. sorry

colinchout

quality posts: 5 Private Messages colinchout

Holly Cow ! ALL that movies were from 1993 ??
It couldn't be ,couldn't it ?
However ,Jurassic Park was a WOW of that year ..I still remember went hunting for those laser discs ,came home and watched it over and over and over .
Also watch Groundhog Day ,and again again over the year from late night cable..We all wish that it'll happen in our life at some point ,aren't we ?
Too many good movies ,the list is endless , what's so special about 1993 ?

cata32

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cata32

Jurassic Park was and still a fav of mine...

cappo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages cappo

Seeing Super Mario Bros. and it's 3.8 star out of 10 rating on the list at #34, I have to question this list's definition of "popular."

coondogg97

quality posts: 14 Private Messages coondogg97
thumperchick wrote:Wow, a lot of great movies came out that year!

I was going to go with True Romance, but then saw A Bronx Tale! Of course you have to give a shout out to Groundhog Day, the Bill Murray classic!

I miss '93.

Funny, I was just looking at a picture of Francis Capra (Calogero) last week and almost fell over. Not that cute lil kid anymore.

The only disability in life is a bad attitude ~ Scott Hamilton

coondogg97

quality posts: 14 Private Messages coondogg97

I would probably have to go with True Romance.

From a diddle eye joe to damned if I know.

The only disability in life is a bad attitude ~ Scott Hamilton

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

I represent the teenybopper nostalgia crew:

Homeward Bound, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Rookie of the Year, and The Princess and the Cobbler all bring back fond memories for me.

As a note:

I saw "The Princess and the Cobbler" teased on one of the indoor Disney Store screens in-between other previews and commercials, and waited patiently to see it.

It was gone before it arrived.

If you hunt down more info, you'll find out why. It was in production when Vincent Price was still alive to be the villian, speaking in iambic pentameter. The mute cobbler is changed to a voice-under by Matthew Broderick in the final version, and the princess is, unfortunately, named "Princess Yum-yum".

I found it on our channel 11 one day, and ended up having to split the recording on videocassettes. Finally, now older, I caught a release of it on DVD.

If you see the DVD version, you can get it, OR, there is an edited version that could be closer to the original intent of the film and scoring, but you have to hunt for it.
Unless you can find a link

wickedd365

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wickedd365

Being a whole 9 years old at the time I was all about Jurassic Park and The Nightmare before Christmas. Still two of my favorites today.
I still remember seeing Jurassic Park in theaters. I was so scared during the T-Rex chase scene. My Mom still jokes about it.

Nightmare was just so amazing to me. Great story, but the animation is what caught my attention. I love stop motion and I think that movie is what got me hooked.

sellbuyer92

quality posts: 87 Private Messages sellbuyer92

I'm going with "Rudy"! You have to appreciate this movie even if you aren't a Notre Dame fan. Even if you have heard everything discrediting this movie, it will always be a classic.

kenzyleigh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenzyleigh

Well I was four so Jurassic Park TERRIFIED me. I was really too young to like any of those movies at the time. I'm getting married on groundhog day of this year (2/2) and I do like that movie. I guess that'd be my current favorite.