frankstevy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frankstevy

I bought one of these in the last go-around for $50 more ( $499 +5 ) and was pleasantly surprised because we are a sony family , thus being use to high quality . The LG ( bankrupt Zenith ) looked great and the LED really uses no current ( wattage ) to speak of .....

jmackinac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmackinac
rhinoceros1 wrote:dog weiner (hee hee)

HAHA!...I just got this well after leaving the discussion, going back to the home page, surfing around a little, going back to the homepage again and then seeing "it". In almost all cases, I think the goofy pictures and the associated, little, quirky write-ups that follow are a waste of time, so I don't pay attention. They finally got me with one. "Wiener Dog" would have worked too. Good catch.

aolshove

quality posts: 10 Private Messages aolshove

That dog is showing us his junk so I'll show ya mine.

jmackinac

I am really wanting a new TV, but can't see buying a 47" LG refurb for $450 when you can get a brand new 60" Panasonic Plasma for just a few hundred more. I know, it's an apples to oranges comparison in price and size, but I also consider LG Led's to be a low-end panel next to Panasonic plasmas.

jmackinac

aolshove wrote:That dog is showing us his junk so I'll show ya mine.

At least you have wood.

billthegunowner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages billthegunowner
jakesaturn wrote:So I went ahead and purchased the tv, but I have a question. How do you add the square trade warranty? Secondly, is it really necessary to buy it?? I normally don't buy warranties for my electronics?? Anyone ever been "burned" by a refurb???

I have two Visio refurbs and have owned them for about a year. No problems whatsoever

Bill

geniusdeano

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geniusdeano

I can't speak to this model as it is refurbished, but my brother bought this same model new (570 from Walmart) and the TV is pretty amazing for the price. It is pretty slim and visually appealing, and the picture quality is quite good for the price. Please note that even though the TV is classified as 47 inch, the screen is actually 44.9 inches measured diagonally from corner to corner (confirmed here

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-47LS4500-47-1080p-120Hz-Edge-2D-LED-HDTV-1.4-ultra-slim/21693003

The extra 2-3 inches may or may not make a big difference to you.

Overall, I would give this tv a pretty good rating especially for the price (again I cannot speak to the refurbished model). I must confess that after viewing this TV, I did spend a little more to get a 50 inch plasma. The plasma is a bit heavier and uses more power, but I really wanted deeper blacks and did not want to worry about refresh rate.

If you are looking for a decent LED-LCD TV on a budget price, this model may be perfect for you.

paynecf1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paynecf1

So I'm fairly new to woot. Does this item also have a manufacturer warranty? Or is it just the 90 days through woot and then you screwed if anything happens after that?

corvettejoe

quality posts: 24 Private Messages corvettejoe
azinck3 wrote:You can easily turn a "dumb" TV into a "smart" TV with a $50 Roku box or a web-enabled Blu-ray player or an XBox 360 or a PS3, or an Apple TV etc., etc. There are loads of options for internet connectivity these days. In my experience, a TV's lifespan is greater than the useful lifespan of the "smart" technology du jour so it's hardly important to have it built into the TV.

There's the forgotton Logitech Revue thats still widely forsale refurbished for a great price (full Google TV, we LOVE ours, especially using Plex on it)

StanleyS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages StanleyS
geniusdeano wrote:Please note that even though the TV is classified as 47 inch, the screen is actually 44.9 inches measured diagonally from corner to corner (confirmed here

It is 46.9" according to the link you supplied (the LG pdf spec sheet).

danbfree

quality posts: 3 Private Messages danbfree
billthegunowner wrote:People, this is old technology. Get a smart TV with wireless internet. I bought a Visio smart TV from Woot, and enjoy Netflix, Rhapsody, YouTube, etc. Sold my old 47" dumb TV on Craigs List for $250.00

Many people already have a Blu Ray player or computer and don't need to spend another $100 for a "Smart TV". It's not old technology, it's called paying for the model TV features you actually need. That's what is great about this model for budget minded techies that already have "Smart" features.

danbfree

quality posts: 3 Private Messages danbfree
geniusdeano wrote:]Please note that even though the TV is classified as 47 inch, the screen is actually 44.9 inches measured diagonally from corner to corner

No it is a 46.9" actual viewable. Please be careful about posting false information. You are spot on about the rest, excellent picture for the money although I ended up going with an LG plasma too.

JCacciotti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JCacciotti

I don't think this is a great deal. On Black Friday, there were web deals like this everywhere for brand new at this price. I don't trust refurbished from WOOT, I've received damaged goods before.

I say PASS.

PencilBox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PencilBox

bought it for my office conference room. at this price, and the 90 day woot warranty, it's a no-brainer. i can't match it on amazon or with any local vendors.

and like others, i've got a Roku on my home machine and my samsung bluray came bundled with Netflix, etc. you don't need to have servies bundled in. Roku's show up on woot for $49. get one. and never once have i ever used the "Blockbuster" app that came on the bluray.

manage your expectations, and this can be a nice, reasonably priced purchase.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
JCacciotti wrote:I don't think this is a great deal. On Black Friday, there were web deals like this everywhere for brand new at this price. I don't trust refurbished from WOOT, I've received damaged goods before.

I say PASS.

Well fortunately, you bought from us, so you have options when things arrive damaged (and sometimes things just happen and that happens, unfortunately)-
You can always contact the manufacturer for a replacement, and you can always contact support@woot.com for options.

I'm just hanging out, really.

onefastwienerdog

quality posts: 6 Private Messages onefastwienerdog

What does LG have a factory pumping out refurbs or they just make a bunch of CRAP. It seems if you would line up all the refurbed LG junk it would reach to the moon.

Random crap #1 11-28-09-Nice
Random crap #2 08-20-10-Sucked

onefastwienerdog

quality posts: 6 Private Messages onefastwienerdog
jmackinac wrote:I am really wanting a new TV, but can't see buying a 47" LG refurb for $450 when you can get a brand new 60" Panasonic Plasma for just a few hundred more. I know, it's an apples to oranges comparison in price and size, but I also consider LG Led's to be a low-end panel next to Panasonic plasmas.

Plasma......No way!!!

Random crap #1 11-28-09-Nice
Random crap #2 08-20-10-Sucked

rbonestell

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rbonestell

I own one of these TVs and I absolutely love it! Edge-lit LED backlighting makes it SUPER THIN!

thao0628

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thao0628

I bought one from the store and the backlight bleed is pretty bad. I've replaced the TV 3 times until I gave up and settle on one. I won't be surprised if any of you receive one that I've returned. Other than the backlight bleed, the TV is actually good for the price.

geniusdeano

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geniusdeano
StanleyS wrote:It is 46.9" according to the link you supplied (the LG pdf spec sheet).

danbfree wrote:No it is a 46.9" actual viewable. Please be careful about posting false information. You are spot on about the rest, excellent picture for the money although I ended up going with an LG plasma too.

Here is Best Buy's link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+47%22+Class+(44-9/10%22+Diag.)+-+LED+-+1080p+-+120Hz+-+HDTV/6685302.p;tab=specifications?id=1218808389180&skuId=6685302, check the Specification section:

Screen Size (Measured Diagonally) 44-9/10" Size of the screen, in inches, measured diagonally from corner to corner.

If anyone runs to a local retailer and measures it by hand, feel free to dispute my claims.

From what I remember from my HDTV research, TV manufacturers are able to list the screen size as long as the viewable diagonal screen size falls within a certain range (ex. 47 inch might include 44 through 48 inches). I have no idea why LG would list the "46.9 Viewable" screen size except maybe they are refer to the viewable TV size, not necessarily the screen dimensions.

I can only imagine the conversation at the factory "Here is our new 47 inch TV, you can view 46.9 inches, and the diagonal screen size is only 44 9/10 inches. Hmmm, we should probably just advertise the 'Viewable 46.9'".

StanleyS

geniusdeano wrote:I have no idea why LG would list the "46.9 Viewable" screen size except maybe they are refer to the viewable TV size, not necessarily the screen dimensions.

This statement makes *no* sense, what-so-ever. "Viewable" means the area of the screen *not* covered by the bezel. TV screens have been measured this way for decades, since the days of CRTs.
Please go measure the TV you have access to and report back with the results. Thank you!

clydaho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clydaho

I want the cute puggy on the screen!!

kakomu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kakomu
danbfree wrote:Response time and refresh are two different things. This has a 60Hz refresh rate (with trumotion software) and probably a 5-6.5ms response time, but it's not advertised. Poor response time can lead to ghosting (image kind of left on screen after it should be gone), lower refresh can lead to motion blur (blurriness in moving scenes). These LG's do not have any problem with ghosting at all and while only 60hz, it seems to do well in motion scenes with it's Trumotion fake-120Hz software.

There's a fundamental disconnect here as to what each term represents:

Motion Blur is specifically a function of the camera, not the TV. Motion blur is caused by either an object moving during the duration of a frame being recorded or the camera moving during the duration of a frame being recorded (or both).

Refresh rate is how many discrete frames are displayed per second on the TV

Response time is how quickly individual pixels can change color/luminance/intensity (or whatever scale the manufacturer wants to use).

The perceived "motion blur" that people describe or discuss is not actually motion blur, considering motion blur is specifically dictated by the source material. Rather, what people see is the aforementioned ghosting.

Ghosting is an artifact of the LCD panel where the pixels do not change color fast enough. This typically results in a faint impression of the previous frame existing on top of the current frame. This can lead to odd artifacts like motion trails and some amount of distortion of the current frame as two frames mesh together.

Considering the above, bear in mind that refresh rate has absolutely nothing to do with ghosting or "motion blur" as people like to call it. Thus, a discussion of a TV being "only 60hz" really means nothing. Consider, if you will, that the vast majority of computer monitors function at 60hz, but few monitors exhibit ghosting any more (and people watch movies on their computers all the time too).

Ghosting is completely a function of response time. As you increase the response time of the individual pixels, the less likely previous frames are to appear.

As an aside, older TVs tended to have ghosting because most TVs used really large IPS panels, which tend to be much slower than TN panels. However, IPS panel technology has improved over the past 6 years or so to the point where the speeds are getting close enough to TN panel speeds to be negligible.

kakomu

StanleyS wrote:This statement makes *no* sense, what-so-ever. "Viewable" means the area of the screen *not* covered by the bezel. TV screens have been measured this way for decades, since the days of CRTs.
Please go measure the TV you have access to and report back with the results. Thank you!

CRTs used to be described in this fashion because the size of the actual display would shift around based on several factors, including ambient temperature, temperature of the tube itself and intensity of the luminance (white screens would display larger than black screens).

Higher end CRT TVs and computer monitors also allowed you to shape the display as well to account for all sorts of external issues. This included shaping the size, position and curvature of the display.

The shifting and expanding area was known as "overscan" and frequently led to safe areas on TVs. Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_area

"viewable" display was a way to give a more precise measurement to the screen on top of the more generic "class" of sizes.

LCD Panels, on the other hand, have a discrete display size. Each pixel is in a fixed location and will not move, bend or expand based on any factor. Thus, the bezel is either cosmetic or meant to hide the location of CCFL. It's not meant as a buffer zone as it is with CRT TVs.

This led to most (if not all) LCD TVs for a long time being sold with very discrete sizes (32, 37, 42, 47, etc) without "viewable" specifications. Only recently have I started noticing that many TVs are again being sold by "class".

That being said, the TVs I've owned have all had the same size panel as the "class" in which they exist, ie, my 37" TV was a 37" panel, my 42" TV is a 42" panel and my girlfriend's 37" TV is a 37" panel. Using "47" class" to describe a 46.9" panel is a cop out.

Dirksy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dirksy

That's actually not true at all for this television. I e-mailed LG before I purchased it to confirm that it was a 120HZ panel, which it is.

Lazarus2 wrote:Just a note of clarification:
LG's "TruMotion 120Hz" is NOT true 120Hz. It is 60Hz with firmware to help clear the 60Hz blurring.

SEE:
http://hdguru.com/lg-55lm6700-hdtv-review-when-120-hz-isnt-120-hz-updated/8281/

StanleyS

kakomu wrote:CRTs used to be described in this fashion because the size of the actual display would shift around based on several factors, including ambient temperature, temperature of the tube itself and intensity of the luminance (white screens would display larger than black screens).

Oh, nonsense. CRT TVs used to be sold by the diagonal size of the CRT, *including the area covered by the bezel*, until the FTC cracked down on that practice. All consumer grade TVs were set at the factory to overscan in order to compensate for picture shrinkage as components aged. This is not an issue with flatscreens.

crowpatrol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crowpatrol
geniusdeano wrote:Here is Best Buy's link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+47%22+Class+(44-9/10%22+Diag.)+-+LED+-+1080p+-+120Hz+-+HDTV/6685302.p;tab=specifications?id=1218808389180&skuId=6685302, check the Specification section:

Screen Size (Measured Diagonally) 44-9/10" Size of the screen, in inches, measured diagonally from corner to corner.

If anyone runs to a local retailer and measures it by hand, feel free to dispute my claims.

From what I remember from my HDTV research, TV manufacturers are able to list the screen size as long as the viewable diagonal screen size falls within a certain range (ex. 47 inch might include 44 through 48 inches). I have no idea why LG would list the "46.9 Viewable" screen size except maybe they are refer to the viewable TV size, not necessarily the screen dimensions.

I can only imagine the conversation at the factory "Here is our new 47 inch TV, you can view 46.9 inches, and the diagonal screen size is only 44 9/10 inches. Hmmm, we should probably just advertise the 'Viewable 46.9'".

It appears to me that the BB site is subject ot a copy paste error. the LG site lists the TV as a 46.9 inch diagonal measurment.
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-47LS4500-led-tv

And, really? you are going to call someone for saying a 46.9" TV isn't really a 47" class? Really?

Crow Patrol

89titanium

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 89titanium
StanleyS wrote:Oh, nonsense. CRT TVs used to be sold by the diagonal size of the CRT, *including the area covered by the bezel*, until the FTC cracked down on that practice. All consumer grade TVs were set at the factory to overscan in order to compensate for picture shrinkage as components aged. This is not an issue with flatscreens.

Actually, overscan is still done nowadays on LCD panels, because video sources (mostly TV broadcasts) will have errors on the outer-most few pixels. TV manufacturers don't want people returning their sets when they see weird lines on the edges, so they overscan it to hide these. It's very annoying actually.

However, most panels sold these days, including this one, have options to do 1:1 pixel mapping. On this TV, it's called "Just Scan."

kakomu

StanleyS wrote:Oh, nonsense. CRT TVs used to be sold by the diagonal size of the CRT, *including the area covered by the bezel*, until the FTC cracked down on that practice. All consumer grade TVs were set at the factory to overscan in order to compensate for picture shrinkage as components aged. This is not an issue with flatscreens.

I don't see how what you wrote makes my points above incorrect.

Doesn't matter, consider the following:

A) The displayable portion of LCD panels aren't covered by the bezel.
B) The display of an LCD panel doesn't shrink with age, nor does it warp, move, shrink or expand based on any other factor.
C) The size of the LCD panel is a discrete size.
D) Overscan in LCD panels isn't a function of display technology (e.g. the electron gun), but is solely a function of whatever the video decoder is doing. This is most evident when trying to use a computer signal on an LCD TV.

Thus, unlike CRT manufacturers where they would actually make a 30" tube and cover up several inches with a plastic border to hide the edges, the LCD manufacturers are just rounding the numbers up to make it fit within a specific "class". It's a cop out. It was a sucky method of selling CRT TVs and monitors and it's a sucky method of selling LCDs,especially considering LCD TVs didn't use to have the "viewable" specification only recently and no LCD computer monitors use the "viewable" specification.

wootdawn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootdawn

Can anyone give me an idea of typical delivery/shipping times for woot orders? I'm going to be traveling in the next couple of weeks and want to be sure someone is here to take delivery on my purchase... it's been a while since I ordered anything and can't recall how long it took to get here...

ebam

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ebam
rhinoceros1 wrote:dog weiner (hee hee)

scanning the posts, I was woried I was the only f*ed up person who noticed that first
i feel so much better now!

evolk46

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evolk46
jakesaturn wrote:So I went ahead and purchased the tv, but I have a question. How do you add the square trade warranty? Secondly, is it really necessary to buy it?? I normally don't buy warranties for my electronics?? Anyone ever been "burned" by a refurb???

I purchased a 47" LCD (non-LED) TV that was a refurb 5 years ago through woot, and I've had zero problems with it. Great product!
That being said, there is about the same chance there will be something wrong with it as if you bought a non-refurb. You just have to decide if it's worth it to you. I say save the money and go without, but it's up to you.

sharpjm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sharpjm

I ordered a 47" LG refurb from woot about 4 months ago. Not this exact model, but I am very happy with the TV and it came packaged just fine. Just my $0.02 for those that are hesitant due to shipping/refurb concerns.

BatCountry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BatCountry

For the record... I can see that dog's thingy.

0 quality posts and proud of it.

deedee75oh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deedee75oh
billthegunowner wrote:People, this is old technology. Get a smart TV with wireless internet. I bought a Visio smart TV from Woot, and enjoy Netflix, Rhapsody, YouTube, etc. Sold my old 47" dumb TV on Craigs List for $250.00

Well if you have a smart DVD player or a wii or xbox you don't really need an internet ready TV.

extech01

quality posts: 3 Private Messages extech01
azinck3 wrote:You can easily turn a "dumb" TV into a "smart" TV with a $50 Roku box or a web-enabled Blu-ray player or an XBox 360 or a PS3, or an Apple TV etc., etc. There are loads of options for internet connectivity these days. In my experience, a TV's lifespan is greater than the useful lifespan of the "smart" technology du jour so it's hardly important to have it built into the TV.

You've got that right. I have a panasonic dmp-bdt310p blu ray player. It has many internet apps including netflix, amazon, weather, games, hulu, vudu, etc plus a usb device that will play mkv video, mp3 audio straight from the stick. It plays all kinds of formats off disk. Smart tv's are a marketing ploy for the uneducated technical market.

just an opinion.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 592 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jmackinac wrote:At least you have wood.

I can't believe you went there.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 592 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

paynecf1 wrote:So I'm fairly new to woot. Does this item also have a manufacturer warranty? Or is it just the 90 days through woot and then you screwed if anything happens after that?

You have a 90-day warranty through Woot. As with any warranty, after that, you kinda on your own.

HOWEVER, you can buy an extended warranty through SquareTrade. The price is at the bottom of the Features tab. Just click on that SquareTrade banner to go to their site to complete the purchase of the warranty.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

chuongster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chuongster

Uh, am I the only one who doesn't get the "table" part of the conversation in the woot write-up / description?

axemurderer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages axemurderer

i'm on the fence for this, but since/if no one knows the actual response time...

i like how half the tv listings these days either omit information or list misleading info...