WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Asus Event

If you're like us, you saw "Asus" and thought, "Sweet! A sale on asses!" But it's not pronounced that way at all. And we don't really know how we made that mistake in the first place because it's read, not spoken.
Asus official site

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Tell us which machine your favorite Greek god would use!

Oh, you mean Asus, not Zeus?

Drat.

I'm just hanging out, really.

korhalx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages korhalx

Damn, no Nexus 7's

PapaMidnight

quality posts: 4 Private Messages PapaMidnight
inkycatz wrote:Tell us which machine your favorite Greek god would use!

Oh, you mean Asus, not Zeus?

Drat.

I was completely reminded of a certain scene in Die Hard 3 (sorry, best quality I could find on short notice): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BquyQj8TX_w

6 years bag-of-crapless and counting...

gambrinus2

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gambrinus2

Is that really how you pronounce Asus?

CrystalSinger

quality posts: 7 Private Messages CrystalSinger
gambrinus2 wrote:Is that really how you pronounce Asus?

Yes, it's pronounced "Ah-soos" ... I had to contact their U.S. Tech support to get a replacement for a warranteed motherboard a few years back, and was quite surprised to hear how it was pronounced.

T

embhorn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages embhorn

blank

richrauch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richrauch
CrystalSinger wrote:Yes, it's pronounced "Ah-soos" ... I had to contact their U.S. Tech support to get a replacement for a warranteed motherboard a few years back, and was quite surprised to hear how it was pronounced.

Okay, is it AH-soos or ah-SOOS?

applesn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages applesn

In the info for the tablet, there is a note that states: "The Keyboard Dock comes with a pretty substantial moorage fee."

What exactly does this mean, please. I have never purchased a tablet and do not understand tablet terminology.

bradbenedictus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradbenedictus
applesn wrote:In the info for the tablet, there is a note that states: "The Keyboard Dock comes with a pretty substantial moorage fee."

What exactly does this mean, please. I have never purchased a tablet and do not understand tablet terminology.

Moorage refers you to mooring in the dictionary. Who knew that they wanted you to know that it has a fee as an anchor or docking fee. Who knew. I own an Asus tablet and I love it.. just FYI.

applesn

bradbenedictus wrote:Moorage refers you to mooring in the dictionary. Who knew that they wanted you to know that it has a fee as an anchor or docking fee. Who knew. I own an Asus tablet and I love it.. just FYI.

Thanks, Brad. I have heard very nice things about this tablet. I still don't know what the "moorage fee" is. I did look it up before posting the question, but everything that came up on Google referrd to mooring a ship.

crziemydget

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crziemydget
richrauch wrote:Okay, is it AH-soos or ah-SOOS?

It's ah-SOOS.
http://www.youtube.com/user/sayasuschannel

Kasona

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kasona
applesn wrote:Thanks, Brad. I have heard very nice things about this tablet. I still don't know what the "moorage fee" is. I did look it up before posting the question, but everything that came up on Google referrd to mooring a ship.

The wootbot quote on each product is usually some odd attempt at making a joke about that product. (See some of the other products to compare.)
In this case, the joke is that since the tablet has a "dock" there must be some kind of "mooring fee" to dock the tablet there, playing off of how a ship owner often must pay a mooring fee to moor his ship at a dock.

The tablet has no mooring fee, don't worry

Naturalrice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Naturalrice

Can attest to amazingness of the tablet. I've used the TF101 for 2 years now :P (bought it because it looked sturdier than the tablet's back then)

The biggest issue with the tablets is their charger. It's prone to overheating/other issues. You'll most likely have to replace it with a non-USB one within a year or so

hakobo87

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hakobo87

ASUS comes from pegASUS, the mythical flying horse. So say pegasus, and then say it again without the peg.

http://www.asus.com/About_ASUS/The_Meaning_of_ASUS

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
applesn wrote:Thanks, Brad. I have heard very nice things about this tablet. I still don't know what the "moorage fee" is. I did look it up before posting the question, but everything that came up on Google referrd to mooring a ship.

This is just plain funny, and Woot!
At a 'dock' you 'moor' a vessel.

CT

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

hakobo87 wrote:ASUS comes from pegASUS, the mythical flying horse. So say pegasus, and then say it again without the peg.

interesting. i did not know this!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

Randonium8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Randonium8
crziemydget wrote:It's ah-SOOS.
http://www.youtube.com/user/sayasuschannel

Your own link says ey-soos, not ah-soos

sellbuyer92

quality posts: 37 Private Messages sellbuyer92

Personally not a big fan of this brand, I don't find them reliable or durable.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com Nemesis: Stryper2000 He stole my Big Ole Carrot

quietfoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quietfoot

The tablet/dock item does not seem like much of a deal. You can buy the dock, new, from Best Buy for $50. Best Buy also had the, new, 16GB version on sale for the last month for $280. Last week I picked it all up for $330 with free shipping. For me the extra 16GB was not a big deal as you can easily add a microSD card.

west3man

quality posts: 6 Private Messages west3man
hakobo87 wrote:ASUS comes from pegASUS, the mythical flying horse. So say pegasus, and then say it again without the peg.

I didn't know that was the origin of the name, either. I guess I do not, in fact, know everything.

My lady was right.

west3man

sellbuyer92 wrote:Personally not a big fan of this brand, I don't find them reliable or durable.

I love my Asus Ultrabook's.

west3man

I've never seen one less than $100 at Best Buy.

quietfoot wrote:The tablet/dock item does not seem like much of a deal. You can buy the dock, new, from Best Buy for $50. Best Buy also had the, new, 16GB version on sale for the last month for $280. Last week I picked it all up for $330 with free shipping. For me the extra 16GB was not a big deal as you can easily add a microSD card.

bhcompy

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bhcompy

Indeed, though I've always heard it with a hard A rather than a soft A, as in "ace us"

bookofjoshua

quality posts: 12 Private Messages bookofjoshua
west3man wrote:I've never seen one less than $100 at Best Buy.

was that astonishment or did you forget to click on the link to best buy's sale price of $50?

nighteyes5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nighteyes5

That was Woot making a joke, relating a 'Docking Station' to a 'Dock' used in bodies of water.

There is no actuall fee for using the tablet.

nighteyes5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nighteyes5
bookofjoshua wrote:was that astonishment or did you forget to click on the link to best buy's sale price of $50?

Best buy has them for store pickup only, and are not available at many. (none within 100 miles of me)

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1070 Private Messages whatsamattaU
sellbuyer92 wrote:Personally not a big fan of this brand, I don't find them reliable or durable.

2012 PC Magazine Readers' Survey:
They're ranked 2nd or 3rd in every desktop and laptop category
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400792,00.asp

and 2nd in the tablet category:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406727,00.asp

I don't own an Asus,... yet.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
Randonium8 wrote:Your own link says ey-soos, not ah-soos

Ditto, which is how I've always said it anyway even not knowing it was the the proper way.

About Asus, they are currently my favorite 'bang for the buck' brand. I've never had a problem with the quality of their products and the Asus X202E 11" Touchscreen Laptop I recently bought is a prime example of one of their 'bang for the buck' value, its a great machine.

As with just about any company (non Microsoft and Apple), their tech support leaves a bit to be desired, but that is just how it is in today's outsourced support world.

mcaceres2280

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcaceres2280

wanted to get this for the wife but i wanna make sure i got the lingo right...it is wireless capable? and 4g? and i assume if its 4g capable, I have to sign up with a phone carrier, etc etc am I right? TIA!

tpfortin

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tpfortin

I have no "favorite" Greek god you Godless communists!! Here in 'Merica, we have one God! NASCAR!

rudecisco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rudecisco

Hey there Asus experts what do you think of the $349 laptop? Is it a good deal at that price? It looks alot like the $280 model that I've seen here a few times but was always sold out by the time I hit the big yellow button. I'm in need of a good reliable laptop and the $349 + tax price is pretty much my max. TIA

bookofjoshua

quality posts: 12 Private Messages bookofjoshua
mcaceres2280 wrote:wanted to get this for the wife but i wanna make sure i got the lingo right...it is wireless capable? and 4g? and i assume if its 4g capable, I have to sign up with a phone carrier, etc etc am I right? TIA!

Which item are you talking about?

if it says 3G, 4G, 4G LTE, LTE (these are mobile broadband names same a mobile phone uses) in the "wireless data network" section then it is capable of the listed function and will need activation through a mobile carrier to be utilized.

If it says Wireless or 802.11 usually followed by one of these letters a/b/g/n/ac then it will function on a home wireless network or at Starbucks, the library, the airport/airplane etc..

hope that helps.

PoAng

quality posts: 4 Private Messages PoAng
Kasona wrote:The wootbot quote on each product is usually some odd attempt at making a joke about that product. (See some of the other products to compare.)
In this case, the joke is that since the tablet has a "dock" there must be some kind of "mooring fee" to dock the tablet there, playing off of how a ship owner often must pay a mooring fee to moor his ship at a dock.

The tablet has no mooring fee, don't worry

However, if you still want to pay a fee to dock your tablet I'll give you a P.O. Box to send the monthly payment to.

Tominator2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tominator2000

I bought a cheap Asus notebook after Thanksgiving. Could not be happier with it! Most of them come with 4MB memory and before you even start it put another 4MB in and you will be surprised at how it can do everything your desktop can.

Been buying Asus products for 20 years and very few problems with any of them. Customer support is tops!

bgbopper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bgbopper

Regarding the tablet and dock combo:

In a regular laptop, the weight is in the base because that is where all the hardware resides. In this design, all the hardware resides in the screen. This results in a relatively heavy screen, which can tip a bit easier when opened beyond a 90 degree angle. It's not terribly unstable, but it's something to be aware of if you've never sat with one in your lap.

CyborgBill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CyborgBill

I bought a pair of the 15" laptops from Sam's Club a few weeks back. Including tax and a 2 year maintenance contract (3 years for plus membership) I spent less than 4 bills each plus they were new not referbished.

My grandson (2 yrs old) accidentally broke my wife's Nook color. Replacement was going to be approx. $250. Got a Nexus7 for that and she is back playing words with friends plus she can now read Kindle books as well as Nook.

emulloon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages emulloon

Regardless of how you pronounce the name, I have found Asus tech to be very good an reliable. I purchased a basic 15.3 laptop for a friend and enjoyed it so much I considered keeping it. I also bought the tablet and dock, 16GB version, one of the first times they were offered here. I love that tablet, and have been very pleased with it and the versatility of the dock. I would definitely recommend the brand, and am sorely tempted to spend some money on this deal myself.

GunnerDonAL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GunnerDonAL
whatsamattaU wrote:2012 PC Magazine Readers' Survey:
They're ranked 2nd or 3rd in every desktop and laptop category
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400792,00.asp

and 2nd in the tablet category:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406727,00.asp

I don't own an Asus,... yet.

I have a G75VW that is absolutely AMAZING!!!!!! Best laptop I've ever seen.
(also the heaviest, biggest and smudgiest...)

applesn

My face is red for not realizing the note was a joke. I must be getting old and not as quick as I used to be. Thanks to all of you for making me realize it was a joke.