zim2411

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zim2411
digitalis303 wrote:Don't know for sure, but I'm guessing 30% THD is a typo. It should probably be 3%. Still bad, but I don't think even the crummiest amplifier delivers sound that bad...

If it is a typo, then it's on Philip's site, the leaflet, and user manual.

I also found some nice tidbits from the manual:

FTC: 60W RMS (1% THD)
Signal-to-noise ratio: > 65 dB (CCIR) /
(A-weighted)

Greater than 65 dB is vague, but that's just about the worst I've ever seen. The more I look at the specs of this product, the worse it gets. I'm going to revise my earlier statement and say AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

bonesandjones

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonesandjones

I can't remember which model I bought, but it was a phillips 3D blu ray player like this one. I returned it the next day. I'm NOT a huge audiophile, so it wasn't because of any poor sound quality (which I never even tested). It was the length of the rear speaker's wires. It was WAY too short. I have a really small room, but the wires weren't even long enough to wrap around to the back of my living room. If only they didn't have the wires set in stone I would have just bought the standard speaker wires

rgfitz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rgfitz

This is a weird site:

http://home-theater-systems.findthebest.com/

They rate this Philips system (Smart Rating 82) better than the the $2099 Bose Lifestyle V25 Smart Rating (70).

onefastwienerdog

quality posts: 6 Private Messages onefastwienerdog
rgfitz wrote:This is a weird site:

http://home-theater-systems.findthebest.com/

They rate this Philips system (Smart Rating 82) better than the the $2099 Bose Lifestyle V25 Smart Rating (70).

Bose and Bose's fake bass sucks.

Random crap #1 11-28-09-Nice
Random crap #2 08-20-10-Sucked

cwfenn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cwfenn
JRElliott wrote:The Onkyo has wired speakers, too, no?

Yes, but it looks like the Philips will only fit their proprietary speaker input (at least that's what it looked like from the owner's manual). The Onkyo looks like you can wire any speaker into it.

rgfitz

cwfenn wrote:Yes, but it looks like the Philips will only fit their proprietary speaker input (at least that's what it looked like from the owner's manual). The Onkyo looks like you can wire any speaker into it.

It is easy to cut and splice wires.

scarredwithstars

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scarredwithstars
searchneverend wrote:Long day is not an excuse for not reading the specs. I just got out of work, after working for 16 hours straight and first thing i read was the specs. He was just been lazy and TT stop taking lazy people sides lmao

I see, so a long day isn't an excuse for not reading the specs, but it is an excuse for being a jerk?

dwi2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwi2

OK, I am new here. Just been following, for a few days. Does Woot ever have something that you guys can appreciate?

Patsycar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Patsycar

Oh No!!! Hurry up!! Time's running out!! Aaaahhh! Noooooo!! You're gonna miss it!! Last chance......

Never mind. You missed it.

rgfitz

The FedEx guy delivered mine at 8 this morning. Everything looks new except the cover page of the manual was creased showing the previous owner, if there was one, only got to page 1 and gave up.

Everything works fine...Netflix and VUDU via WiFi and FM radio. I have to get an optical audio cable to get the TV sound into the "home theater". Luckily I had an HMDI cable in my computer junk cabinet for the video.

For the price, I am impressed.

rgfitz

There doesn't seem to be much interest in this Woot but I will post this anyway.

I ran the rear speaker cables under the rug after cutting small slits in the carpet where the wires entered and exited. Using a long piece of heavy wire from a neighbor's Obama/Biden sign I fished heavy cord from one slit to another. The speaker jacks have tiny slits that two prong of the connectors snap into to hold them in place. I used a small jewelers screw driver to press the prongs in and removed the connectors from the jacks. Using duct tape to hook the wires and connectors to the cords, I pulled them under the carpet. After pushing the connector prongs back into place from inside the connector, I snapped them back into the jack.

The rear speakers work fine but I am not sure it was worth all the effort.

rgfitz

Final comment:

I wanted to check out my rear speakers and have no media that have surround sound as far as I know. I found this DVD trailer and put it on a DVD:
http://www.dvdloc8.com/dolbydtsclip.php?clipid=10

Wow! I am impressed (again).

mimi828

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mimi828

This is a nice little system. Setting it up was the easiest set up I have ever experienced with this kind of system. Color coding and instructions were simple. I am a novice at this and it took me about 15 minutes to get it all set up and plugged in. For the price, this is a great system. The key to getting the sound correct is make sure you mute your TV and get the Bluray settings the way you like them. And, of course, move the speakers around to get optimal sound. I wish I could buy another one for a gift!

rgfitz

I just received a "new open box" one from an eBay seller...$84 including shipping.

So, now I have one in the bedroom and one in the living room.

Great little systems!