Arista07

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Arista07
dtbramlett wrote:Quick question from someone relatively new to the home audio field.

I have been looking at best buy to get a home theater system. i was planning to spend $500-800. The salesperson suggested i look at the bose GS series 2 ~$720.

I would like to get some opinons on whether i should get the Onkyo, Bose GS S2, or something else altogether. Thoughts?

My experience with Bose is that it's garbage. Pricey, bass heavy distorted garbage. I don't know why Best Buy reps push that brand so hard. Bose must own shares in the corporation because that's the only place I've seen their products recommended. This is a really good deal if you're looking for an all in one. Especially if your focus is more theater than music. I don't think there are any reputable 7.1 bundles in this price range even without the receiver. The receiver definitely carries the brunt of the value.

Onkyo isn't known for audio ingenuity but the speakers are designed to work together and I imagine any shortcomings the speakers have individually would be sufficiently compensated for by the set. I highly recommend buying this if the primary purpose will be watching movies and tv. The receiver has great media features and although speakers aren't Onkyo's forte, they're capable of handling Dolby Digital just fine. If it's music, then you still can't really beat the price. But there are some 5.0/5.1 sets that could be had if you look hard enough for <$800 that will sound better.

BTW, the GS series is a 2.1 system. Are you sure that's the model? You really can't compare these two. And that is not going to give you a true home theater experience.

stevemoye11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevemoye11
silent7seven wrote:I want this terribly, but there is no way it would fit in the electronics cabinet I just got. -_-

Maybe, just maybe, it's time for a new A/V equipment cabinet, too?

pukeboy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pukeboy

So, would this be too much sound in a roughly 600ft² apartment?

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Inappropriate and gross post. Deleted multiple times for a reason. 48h

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 48 hours and then try posting again.

stevemoye11

dtbramlett wrote:Quick question from someone relatively new to the home audio field.

I have been looking at best buy to get a home theater system. i was planning to spend $500-800. The salesperson suggested i look at the bose GS series 2 ~$720.

I would like to get some opinons on whether i should get the Onkyo, Bose GS S2, or something else altogether. Thoughts?

Buy this, and don't look back. For a first-time A/V purchaser, this Onkyo setup is a fantastic deal.

stevemoye11

pukeboy wrote:So, would this be too much sound in a roughly 600ft² apartment?

That's a question you might want to ask your neighbors in adjoining apartments, if that's a concern to you.

a1strank

quality posts: 0 Private Messages a1strank

My god I would die for these..I am still using a 8 year old dell 5.1 computer speakers for my living room TV..LOL..but these won't fit the cabinet. Are there anything better value than this atm?

m3rdpwr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages m3rdpwr

I've had a couple Onkyo receivers with my last one being like this without HDMI and it has been solid.

I have heard too many issues with firmware on their newer products to want to pull the trigger.

I'd rather buy it locally or with Amazon Prime for a good return policy.

dsnyder1123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsnyder1123

Here are some thoughts from an owner of a 2010 Onkyo HT-s6300 (similar build, just less features and short front speakers)...

Con:
Onkyo receivers are well known for running hot. Mine does and I assume that this one does as well (I haven't seen any reviews that state yes/no). You should always have plenty of ventilation around the receiver.

Pros:
Comes with a plug-in microphone for automatically leveling the speakers custom to your room. This actually works very well.

All of the input combinations are customizable (optical, coaxial, hdmi, video) and nameable in the onkyo gui. You don't get this on lower priced (non onkyo) receivers.

This model has analog upscaling to hdmi!!! That was the reason that I spent the extra on my home theatre in a box (HTIB) when I bought mine. The lower priced Onkyo HTIBs do not offer this! Finally, you can connect your older components with composite video to the onkyo receiver and have ONLY ONE HDMI CABLE going to your TV (ie with an Xbox classic, VCR, or Wii). In my mind, this is a fantastic and worthwhile feature of this box.

EDIT:
Another Con?
I have the same exact subwoofer unit. Just a heads-up that there is no protection over the subwoofer speaker cone, which is on the bottom side of the unit. Not that you'll have to worry about this while the unit is in use, but something to consider if you expect to be frequently moving it or if you have small children...

nameless1

quality posts: 5 Private Messages nameless1
Arista07 wrote:I'm so annoyed with myself. I bought a Sony STR DH720 off ebay used (hasn't even shipped yet)
I wonder if refusing delivery of the receiver will result in a refund from the seller. Or does it not work like that on ebay items?

Refusing delivery probably won't work. You agreed to purchase the item, and the seller will have fulfilled his obligation. By eBay's rules, they don't have to give your money back unless the item wasn't as described/was damaged/etc. They may even charge you the shipping cost again to resend it. As a long time eBayer buyer and seller, I suggest two things:

1) Immediately send a polite email to the seller explaining that you don't want it anymore and accept the blame for bidding. Offer to pay the difference for the between your bid and the second place bidder (if they still want it) or to be a willing participant in the dispute process to get the eBay fees refunded to him, give him great feedback, and give him some money for his hassle.

2) Accept the delivery, list it yourself on eBay or Craigslist, and consider any fees or lower selling price as an extra cost on an additional cost for the Onkyo system. If the Sony's price was a steal, you might even make a profit on it.

I have no advice on which setup is better.

jimmyjayjr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimmyjayjr

I clicked the buy button by mistake ,, is the any way to cancel a order with woot. before they ship.. I sent them a email right away. they do not have a phone to call. I really I just don't know what went wrong. this product

tonymontana444

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tonymontana444

Google Onkyo HDMI issues. I've been looking at receivers for quite some time since the right channel in my 10yr old Pioneer went out. Went with a Denon with a 3 yr warranty.

covert0p5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages covert0p5

Dang, I just bought the Onkyo deal that was up a couple of weeks ago! However, I love it and $200 for that 5.1 system was a good deal.

jimmyjayjr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimmyjayjr
nameless1 wrote:Refusing delivery probably won't work. You agreed to purchase the item, and the seller will have fulfilled his obligation. By eBay's rules, they don't have to give your money back unless the item wasn't as described/was damaged/etc. They may even charge you the shipping cost again to resend it. As a long time eBayer buyer and seller, I suggest two things:

1) Immediately send a polite email to the seller explaining that you don't want it anymore and accept the blame for bidding. Offer to pay the difference for the between your bid and the second place bidder (if they still want it) or to be a willing participant in the dispute process to get the eBay fees refunded to him, give him great feedback, and give him some money for his hassle.

2) Accept the delivery, list it yourself on eBay or Craigslist, and consider any fees or lower selling price as an extra cost on an additional cost for the Onkyo system. If the Sony's price was a steal, you might even make a profit on it.

I have no advice on which setup is better.

I just bought this item on woot by mistake. I have no use for it and am trying to stop woot from shipping it to me. five hundred dollars and a big item. what do I do if they ship to me. I emailed them to cancel order. I wish they had a phone #

Rushfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rushfan
briannanoob wrote:By the way, this was not meant for a wet environment so you plan to use it in a tub or underwater, I'd recommend you look elsewhere. Also, this does NOT run on batteries so tailgating may not be possible.

I don't care who you are...THAT is funny right there!!

slphwk1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slphwk1
Bucuresci wrote:Title writes Onkyo 7.1.
Technical description writes 7.2
Which one is it?

The 7.2-channel configuration on the receiver includes twin subwoofer pre-outs for added bass impact (additional subwoofer not included) 7.1=1 SUB AND 7.2=2 SUBS

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jimmyjayjr wrote:I clicked the buy button by mistake ,, is the any way to cancel a order with woot. before they ship.. I sent them a email right away. they do not have a phone to call. I really I just don't know what went wrong. this product

Are you sure the order went through? I don't see any orders for this item on this account. Either way, you can email support@woot.com to request the cancellation. It all depends on how it's being shipped - FBA or drop ship. FBA orders are released every couple hours and those orders are hard to stop.

Be sure to include your order number and woot username for faster service.

FBA = Fulfillment by Amazon

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ThunderThighs

Staff

a1strank wrote:My god I would die for these..I am still using a 8 year old dell 5.1 computer speakers for my living room TV..LOL..but these won't fit the cabinet. Are there anything better value than this atm?

if they're built-ins like mine, do what I did. Pull them out, saw off the top shelves, put them back in. Install a new top (I chose granite to match my kitchen). I then put in a wall mount for the TV. Looks awesome.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

mikem53

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mikem53

Lol... well beauty lies on the inside.. seems like you are more attractive than you realize..
And while most men enjoy a good sound even without 7.1, as long as it has a good bottom end and some sweet notes up high... that's all that's really needed..

briannanoob wrote:I am a not-so-attractive single gal on a budget so I went searching for a home theater system to attract men. Of all the ones I sat on, this seems to vibrate the most, with avuncular waves that pulsate in a most titular manner. Indeed, when the bass is turned up, and I'm sitting on the subwoofer at just the right angle, I no longer feel the need to find a man. Who needs 7.1" when this has 7.1 channels?

If you're ugly, and don't like the bar scene or idiopathic colloquialisms, then you should give this a try. It sure beats hanging out at bus stops, and just may be the best $499 you'll ever spend without the risk of disease or a broken heart.

cyannah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyannah

Old Matador, I'd really appreciate some knowledge here.

I bought the Onkyo 5.1 deal about ten days ago. We couldn't find one of the speaker wires. My husband brought the instruction book to Radio Shack and the salesman said we need to phone the manufacturer to ask what size speaker gauge. We got the impression that if you don't get the right size, you can blow the speakers out. Do you know what size speaker wire we should ask for? BTW, the system works great. No way could we have sprung for this one.

Thank you so much!

ThunderThighs

Staff

briannanoob wrote:I am a not-so-attractive single gal on a budget so I went searching for a home theater system to attract men. Of all the ones I sat on, this seems to vibrate the most, with avuncular waves that pulsate in a most titular manner. Indeed, when the bass is turned up, and I'm sitting on the subwoofer at just the right angle, I no longer feel the need to find a man. Who needs 7.1" when this has 7.1 channels?

If you're ugly, and don't like the bar scene or idiopathic colloquialisms, then you should give this a try. It sure beats hanging out at bus stops, and just may be the best $499 you'll ever spend without the risk of disease or a broken heart.

I don't whether to or

FORUM MODERATOR

sniffersrow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sniffersrow

In for one, I don't need 2 for my apartment. I don't have deaf neighbors, yet

wouldmanus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wouldmanus
cyannah wrote:Old Matador, I'd really appreciate some knowledge here.

I bought the Onkyo 5.1 deal about ten days ago. We couldn't find one of the speaker wires. My husband brought the instruction book to Radio Shack and the salesman said we need to phone the manufacturer to ask what size speaker gauge. We got the impression that if you don't get the right size, you can blow the speakers out. Do you know what size speaker wire we should ask for? BTW, the system works great. No way could we have sprung for this one.

Thank you so much!

16 gauge should work fine. Pretty much the norm for surround sound speakers.

mikem53

For those wanting a quick and easy mediocre HT for a medium sized room... then look no further..
You get a descent receiver paired up with some low end speakers that will give you a complete HT system for not much cash.
Those Wanting more should consider buying the components separately, from woot of course...
For not much more .. you can do much better.. especially in the speaker area... receivers and subs come up here often... then get some Atlantic tech or some klispch speakers paired with a descent sub.. and you will have a system that will sound MUCH better that you won't outgrow in a few months...

cyannah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyannah

Thank you! We'll get that.

dsnyder1123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsnyder1123
Arista07 wrote:My experience with Bose is that it's garbage. Pricey, bass heavy distorted garbage...

In the professional audio field, BOSE = Buy Other Sound Equipment.

daklus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daklus

Any word on the recall issue? Are these marked down because they're recalls and Amazon doesn't want to deal with them?

I don't mind possibly needing to send the receiver and/or subwoofer back to the manufacturer if the warranty is valid through woot. Can we get any confirmation that woot is an authorized reseller?

Thanks!

jbr3416

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbr3416

The Subwoofer only shows 120w output. Isn't that kind of low? What should a good output be for a surround sound systems?. I thought it 180 to 200w is normal. Any thoughts?

mikem53

Bose is junk.. seriously.. the company puts all its money in marketing and produces the lowest quality garbage.. they haven't made anything good since the original 901s that came out in the 70s.
Most of these packaged systems are compromises.. enough to get you functionality and some sound for a small price.

tmvijai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmvijai

I been on a look out for good Home theatre system which has good output and multizone. I been looking at NR515 receiver and this one seems to have everything it has and more including PC IN as well. That's great. My questions, are the satellite speakers very heavy. Can I still able to mount in the ceiling? NR515 has 2 USB and 2 HDMI out. Since I plan to connect the LAN, i don't need for wifi adapter and 1 USB is fine but 2 HDMI? Why do we need it?

Another concern many raise is about the ONKYO receivers getting hot. It's going to be in a cabinet in home theatre room. Is it going to be ok?

mtcanty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtcanty

I was planning on purchasing this same receiver in a couple weeks. I would have jumped all over the chance to get a full setup that I could upgrade as I go. Too bad this sale came a little early for me.

unlikely

quality posts: 2 Private Messages unlikely

Later when I say "woot used to do prices that beat everyone everywhere and now they're just barely matching everyone" and some woot employee wants to pooh-pooh that, I will point this one out.

You can find this price on the factory refurb from easily a dozen other sites.

CapnJB

quality posts: 15 Private Messages CapnJB
Bad proof reader wrote:STEP THREE: Keep in mind that the receiver bosts six HDMI ports.

ThunderThighs

Staff

CapnJB wrote:

You get the invisible Woot editor-for-a-day badge that has no monetary value! Congrats! I'll let the writers know.

FORUM MODERATOR

ThunderThighs

Staff

unlikely wrote:Later when I say "woot used to do prices that beat everyone everywhere and now they're just barely matching everyone" and some woot employee wants to pooh-pooh that, I will point this one out.

You can find this price on the factory refurb from easily a dozen other sites.

*cough* NEW *cough*

FORUM MODERATOR

unlikely

quality posts: 2 Private Messages unlikely
ThunderThighs wrote:*cough* NEW *cough*

You are absolutely right. I stand corrected.

logicape

quality posts: 3 Private Messages logicape
covert0p5 wrote:Dang, I just bought the Onkyo deal that was up a couple of weeks ago! However, I love it and $200 for that 5.1 system was a good deal.

I bought this same one a couple of weeks ago. I only had to unbox the head unit and try six ways to Sunday to make it fit in our Ikea cabinet (Hemnes). Alas, I failed.

bigdaddykraven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigdaddykraven

Woot! why didn't you sell these a month ago when I had the money? Ive been wanting to get a real surround sound system for quite some time and this would have been a perfect setup.

Oh well, I can dream, would have probably angered the lady in the apartment under me anyway. She already called security on us once for making too much noise and "tumbling" while she was sleeping. Sad thing is we were on the couch watching TV the whole time...so its all for the best I guess.

Please someone confirm this thought to make me feel better :P

jmazzeo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmazzeo

If I don't have the room for a 7.1 setup, can this be used in a 5.1 setup?

CapnJB

quality posts: 15 Private Messages CapnJB
ThunderThighs wrote:You get the invisible Woot editor-for-a-day badge that has no monetary value! Congrats! I'll let the writers know.

It's a major award!

LilSmurth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LilSmurth

Hey woot community. I have a few questions.

1) My living room is 13.6" x 15." Will this setup be too much? *I might be in a bigger living room in the near future*

2) I currently have the Logitech Z-5500s. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-THX-Certified-Digital-Surround-Speaker/dp/B0002WPSBC
They are a 5.1 setup and sound great. Have had them for the last 5-6 years now. Is it worth upgrading to the Onkyos? Better sound? I could retire the Z-5500s to my PC setup.

3) Does the receiver allow HDMI pass through? Want to be able to connect all connections in the back and have one HDMI going from the receiver to my Plasma.

Thank everyone so much in advance for your response.