theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
OldMatador wrote:It comes with Speaker Wire, but it's cheap. You're better served getting some 14 to 16 gauge speaker wire, depending on the layout of your theater room. Also, invest in some banana plugs! Makes your life so much easier setting this up. Find those at Monoprice.com.

Here are the ones I bought. $1.76 per pair. Only need 3 pairs (Subwoofer has its own cable), which gives you a discount at $1.62 a pair.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=2943&CAWELAID=1329448142&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CLuB3fzMj7UCFQLd4AodE3UAsg

The speaker wire that it comes with may be acceptable depending on the distance it is being run.

Here is a great article on Speaker Wire. The gentleman that wrote this knows his stuff and has aided in debunking the 'expensive speaker wire' myths. Back in the day I consulted with him to battle some of the deceptive Monster Cable displays in stores.

He has a chart showing good estimates of the gauge of wire you need for the length of cable you are running.

LilSmurth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LilSmurth
scotttampa wrote:Does anyone know what type of outlet on my PC I need to plug into this? I currently plug DVI from computer to big screen, with an HDMI adapter on end. DVI, however, is video only... so if that goes to receiver, then how does the receiver get the SOUND from my PC... I use PC as my DVR/Windows Media Center, so this is VERY IMPORTANT, as the PC is the main device. Thanks SO much fellow wooters! :-)

You would need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable to connect from your PC to the receiver to get sound or if your pc has a decent sound card, you can get a tos link optical cable to connect from the PC to the receiver to get sound

alaskan84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alaskan84

Blast, why wont woot just throw this beast into a box and ship it to Alaska? I'd be all over it if they would ship this thing.

claynpotter

quality posts: 6 Private Messages claynpotter

Debating, debating.... Their top model HT-S9400THX is about $200 more with better speakers and receiver maybe different too.... Should I save $200 and go with this one or spend extra and get the one with better speaker set? And s9400 is not discontinued model like this one.... Any suggestion?

dsnyder1123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsnyder1123
LilSmurth wrote:You would need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable to connect from your PC to the receiver to get sound or if your pc has a decent sound card, you can get a tos link optical cable to connect from the PC to the receiver to get sound

With all due respect, fellow wooter, there does not seem to be any 3.5mm plug on this receiver for connecting a 3.5mm audio patch cord. If you need to connect via the 3.5mm jack on your PC (headphone port) you will need a 3.5mm to RCA stereo adapter cable, such as:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YEBK66/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000V0G2C4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0BTAM13W1DVCFSKB72KE

LilSmurth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LilSmurth
dsnyder1123 wrote:With all due respect, fellow wooter, there does not seem to be any 3.5mm plug on this receiver for connecting a 3.5mm audio patch cord. If you need to connect via the 3.5mm jack on your PC (headphone port) you will need a 3.5mm to RCA stereo adapter cable, such as:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YEBK66/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000V0G2C4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0BTAM13W1DVCFSKB72KE

Thank you sir. I hadn't looked at the back of the receiver yet as I'm still at work. Sorry about that

scotttampa

quality posts: 5 Private Messages scotttampa
dsnyder1123 wrote:With all due respect, fellow wooter, there does not seem to be any 3.5mm plug on this receiver for connecting a 3.5mm audio patch cord. If you need to connect via the 3.5mm jack on your PC (headphone port) you will need a 3.5mm to RCA stereo adapter cable, such as:

Thanks so much guys, and lilsmurf, for ur help! Now I won't b stuck having to go get a cord while trying to setup! Thx! :-)

wmubronco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wmubronco

Maybe this was already answered, but no multichannel output (from video link)?

So that means I can't be watching tv in living room, and playing music from the receiver in another room?

If this is the case, what would a supplemental receiver be with this feature?

dfunkmaster

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dfunkmaster

DO WANT.

I'm surprised this isn't sold out yet.

StanleyS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages StanleyS
donthaveone wrote:Common wire length is more important than gauge.

Given that the speaker signal travels through the wire at nearly the speed of light, your statement is incorrect (unless you are using 100 miles of wire between the system and the speakers).
It *would* be important to keep the speakers "in phase". This is usually easy to do as the paired wire should have some marking on it (raised rib, silver/copper color, etc.)

dekar0

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dekar0
dfunkmaster wrote:DO WANT.

I'm surprised this isn't sold out yet.

I thought the same thing, it's min 200 bucks cheaper than anywhere else.

alb8951

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alb8951

I have some experience with this exact product as a friend of mine bought from Amazon a couple of months ago. The side and rear speakers aren't very heavy and can be easily mounted on the wall via the plastic notch on the back (much like a picture).

We listened to 2112 on 5.1 bluray audio and it sounded pretty damn good, though I am not an audiophile by any stretch. The menus on the receiver can be a little annoying to use, and the modes that it can be set are dependent on the sound input.

For the price I think it is a good deal. I am thinking about getting for my own apartment, but I'm still trying to figure out where I would put the speakers in my apartment.

mekaplan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mekaplan

Use as a 3.1 system?

I assume I could use this as a 3.1 system for now and then use the other speakers as I saw fit? (Thinking of moving in the next month or so I just don't know what went wrong. to deal with setting up the whole system just to take it down).

Also does anyone know the height of the center channel (apologies if this is listed somewhere, I could not find it)

Thanks

daklus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daklus
claynpotter wrote:Debating, debating.... Their top model HT-S9400THX is about $200 more with better speakers and receiver maybe different too.... Should I save $200 and go with this one or spend extra and get the one with better speaker set? And s9400 is not discontinued model like this one.... Any suggestion?

From the research I did (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), the 9400 has nicer speakers.

In looking at Onkyo's website, they don't appear to list the 8409 any longer. But the 9400 is still listed.

The 8409 also had several recalls. I asked a question earlier about the recalled units being a part of this batch, along with a question about being an authorized reseller for warranty validity. I haven't seen any response to either question.

If you are patient, the 9400 may drop down to this price range in the future - as it did on New Year's Eve.

dekar0

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dekar0
daklus wrote:From the research I did (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), the 9400 has nicer speakers.

In looking at Onkyo's website, they don't appear to list the 8409 any longer. But the 9400 is still listed.

The 8409 also had several recalls. I asked a question earlier about the recalled units being a part of this batch, along with a question about being an authorized reseller for warranty validity. I haven't seen any response to either question.

If you are patient, the 9400 may drop down to this price range in the future - as it did on New Year's Eve.

From what I saw, the recalls were 2011-2012, I'm hoping these haven't been sitting around for a year or so... Anyhow, I'll have a 3 (or even 4) year warranty on this so I think everything will be fine.

philipvarghese

quality posts: 0 Private Messages philipvarghese
OldMatador wrote:For those not familiar: the thicker your speaker wire, the better the sound quality holds at longer distances. 14-gauge speaker wire is THICKER than 16-gauge.

In a normal living room setup, you'll only really need 16 gauge, but if it's cavernous, roll with the 14 gauge.

As I said before, this setup does come with speaker wire, but it's cheap and thin. Don't be a cheapskate setting this up and spring for proper speaker wire. You'll thank me later.

Where can I get good speaker wires 14 gauge ?

jham1496

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jham1496
StanleyS wrote:Given that the speaker signal travels through the wire at nearly the speed of light, your statement is incorrect (unless you are using 100 miles of wire between the system and the speakers).
It *would* be important to keep the speakers "in phase". This is usually easy to do as the paired wire should have some marking on it (raised rib, silver/copper color, etc.)

Exactly!

technonerd7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages technonerd7
LilSmurth wrote:Hey woot community. I have a few questions.

1) My living room is 13.6" x 15." Will this setup be too much? *I might be in a bigger living room in the near future*

2) I currently have the Logitech Z-5500s. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-THX-Certified-Digital-Surround-Speaker/dp/B0002WPSBC
They are a 5.1 setup and sound great. Have had them for the last 5-6 years now. Is it worth upgrading to the Onkyos? Better sound? I could retire the Z-5500s to my PC setup.

3) Does the receiver allow HDMI pass through? Want to be able to connect all connections in the back and have one HDMI going from the receiver to my Plasma.

Thank everyone so much in advance for your response.

I have the Onkyo TX-NR414 and I have 4 HDMI hooked into it, and I only use HDMI 1 on my Panasonic Plasma TV. I never have to change the input on the TV for my Xbox360 or BR player. I have owned Onkyo products for 10 years, and they sound great. The Onkyo set is definitely an upgrade to the Logitech setup. Get yourself some better speaker wire though then what it comes with.

mtcanty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtcanty
jbr3416 wrote:The Subwoofer only shows 120w output. Isn't that kind of low? What should a good output be for a surround sound systems?. I thought it should be around 180 to 200w is normal. Any thoughts please.

You're paying for a very good entry level receiver and a decent set of speakers. If this deal happened two weeks from now, I'd be all over it with the intention of upgrading the speakers over time (sub being the first thing to go).

I was going to buy this receiver anyway. That it comes with speakers that I can live with until I figure out what I want to do with my setup is a huge bonus and saves me cash in the short-term.

afterburner101

quality posts: 1 Private Messages afterburner101

2 questions, to any of the wonderful wooters who may be able to answer...
1. It has been a while since i looked at Home Theater, back then 5.1 was standard, and 6.1 (adding a middle-rear speaker) was just starting to show up... I thought that 7.1 was Front-L, Front-Center, Front-R, Side-L, Side-R, Rear-L, Rear-R, plus sub... in this standard it looks like you have a left/right-Front channel on stands, then ANOTHER left/right-Front channel as surround? It seems that 5 front channels would be great for music, but terrible for surround on movies?
2. I read all comments, and thought i went through the description thoroughly... but is the sub woofer POWERED?
2a. Does Woot prefer the Sub BEHIND the viewer or IN FRONT?

scotttampa

Thx so much! I got the 12' for 1.00 more, 10.99. That takes care of audio from PC, now as for video, can I just take DVI w/HDMI adapter that's running from PC to TV and plug into receiver? Or do I HAVE to use that small-pin "PC input" on the receiver? Thx!

daklus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daklus
scotttampa wrote:Thx so much! I got the 12' for 1.00 more, 10.99. That takes care of audio from PC, now as for video, can I just take DVI w/HDMI adapter that's running from PC to TV and plug into receiver? Or do I HAVE to use that small-pin "PC input" on the receiver? Thx!

The receiver has several HDMI inputs. So you don't need the PC input.

findzappile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages findzappile
dtbramlett wrote:Quick question from someone relatively new to the home audio field.

I have been looking at best buy to get a home theater system. i was planning to spend $500-800. The salesperson suggested i look at the bose GS series 2 ~$720.

I would like to get some opinons on whether i should get the Onkyo, Bose GS S2, or something else altogether. Thoughts?

No highs, no lows. Must be bose. My own personal opinion, of course, but I've heard it elsewhere, too.

scotttampa

daklus wrote:The receiver has several HDMI inputs. So you don't need the PC input.

Awesome! Think I have everything ready then! Thx guys!

claynpotter

quality posts: 6 Private Messages claynpotter

I think I'll go with 9400 for $200 more. Don't want to worry about recall and all that. Worth $200 for the time. I also found out there might be some issue with HDMI and fan on this model. Thanks!

daklus wrote:From the research I did (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), the 9400 has nicer speakers.

bgzars

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bgzars
afterburner101 wrote:2 questions, to any of the wonderful wooters who may be able to answer...
1. It has been a while since i looked at Home Theater, back then 5.1 was standard, and 6.1 (adding a middle-rear speaker) was just starting to show up... I thought that 7.1 was Front-L, Front-Center, Front-R, Side-L, Side-R, Rear-L, Rear-R, plus sub... in this standard it looks like you have a left/right-Front channel on stands, then ANOTHER left/right-Front channel as surround? It seems that 5 front channels would be great for music, but terrible for surround on movies?
2. I read all comments, and thought i went through the description thoroughly... but is the sub woofer POWERED?
2a. Does Woot prefer the Sub BEHIND the viewer or IN FRONT?

1 - You'll basically have 4 surround speakers. The main surrounds are about in line with your ears - maybe a little behind them. The rear surrounds are more behind the viewer.

2 - It is a powered sub per description

2a - If possible, play around with location. All rooms react differently to bass. Personally, I like mine along a wall (but not in the corner) somewhere between me and the screen. Experimentation is key with subs.

gt335

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gt335
jimmyjayjr wrote:I clicked the buy button by mistake ,, is the any way to cancel a order with woot. before they ship.. I sent them a email right away. they do not have a phone to call. I really I just don't know what went wrong. this product

i just missed out on buying these. i'll take them off your hands

OldMatador

quality posts: 13 Private Messages OldMatador
theguruguys wrote:The speaker wire that it comes with may be acceptable depending on the distance it is being run.

Here is a great article on Speaker Wire. The gentleman that wrote this knows his stuff and has aided in debunking the 'expensive speaker wire' myths. Back in the day I consulted with him to battle some of the deceptive Monster Cable displays in stores.

He has a chart showing good estimates of the gauge of wire you need for the length of cable you are running.

I disagree with using the speaker wire that comes with the package. It's thin and crap. Sure, it's acceptable, but there is a difference quality wise with a thicker speaker wire compared to a thin one, especially at long distances. For the speaker wire they bundle, you might as well have an 8x8 room.

I'm not saying "Buy Monster Cables!" I'm saying get the proper thickness of speaker wire based on your setup. The articles you posted are great.

My rule of thumb: Medium sized room? 16 gauge. Large room? 14 gauge. Tiny room, sure, use what comes in the package, but I personally think you're better off customizing your cables for the room you're in. Brand name doesn't matter, just the thickness.

vjgovani

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vjgovani

Heard that the reciever that comes with this unit had been recalled by manufacturer. Is woot selling the one not recalled with this unit/purchase?

sniffersrow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sniffersrow
vjgovani wrote:Heard that the reciever that comes with this unit had been recalled by manufacturer. Is woot selling the one not recalled with this unit/purchase?

We won't know until they start appearing in the wild. From Onkyo:

Sudden Shut down and or Static Noise from speaker
Dear Valued Customers,

A limited number of ONKYO models manufactured during the months of November 2011, December 2011 and January 2012 may exhibit one of or both of the following defects:

• When powering on the unit, the unit will turn on then turn off automatically
• Static Noise emitted from speakers at low volume level
(The above mentioned defect(s) are not safety related)

Affected Models: TX-8255, TX-8050, HT-RC360, TX-SR309, TX-NR609, TX-NR709, TX-NR809, TX-NR1009, TX-NR5009, HT-S3400 (HT-R390), HT-S7409 (TX-NR609), HT-S8409 (TX-NR609)

Please follow these steps to see if you receiver needs this update

http://www.onkyousa.com/001a_modelreturn_entertype.cfm

(ENTER S/N @ URL ABOVE)

New units, so probably not affected. With a 2 year warranty, I'm not sweating

OldMatador

quality posts: 13 Private Messages OldMatador
theguruguys wrote:The speaker wire that it comes with may be acceptable depending on the distance it is being run.

I disagree with using the speaker wire that comes with the package. It's thin and crap. Sure, it's acceptable, but there is a difference quality wise with a thicker speaker wire compared to a thin one, especially at long distances. For the speaker wire they bundle, you might as well have an 8x8 room.

I'm not saying "Buy Monster Cables!" I'm saying get the proper thickness of speaker wire based on your setup. The articles you posted are great.

My rule of thumb: Medium sized room? 16 gauge. Large room? 14 gauge. Tiny room, sure, use what comes in the package, but I personally think you're better off customizing your cables for the room you're in. Brand name doesn't matter, just the thickness.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

sniffersrow wrote:We won't know until they start appearing in the wild. From Onkyo:

Dear Valued Customers,

A limited number of ONKYO models manufactured during the months of November 2011, December 2011 and January 2012 may exhibit one of or both of the following defects:

Affected Models: TX-8255, TX-8050, HT-RC360, TX-SR309, TX-NR609, TX-NR709, TX-NR809, TX-NR1009, TX-NR5009, HT-S3400 (HT-R390), HT-S7409 (TX-NR609), HT-S8409 (TX-NR609)

(ENTER S/N @ URL ABOVE)

per Woot's discussion with Onkyo:

We didn't recall the 609. There are firmware updates available but no recalls.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 101 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I guess the "full movie experience"depends on your age.

In my case, a fairly big screen and a few big speakers in a theater old enough that Burns and Allen used to perform there live did it for me

OTOH, I did see "2001" in Cinerama with 47 big honking Altech-Lansing speakers suspended from the ceiling.

I'm one of the few who recall this (in DC), as I was one of the few who had NOT dropped LSD before movie. I'm told it made the final "light show" scenes more interesting.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927
radi0j0hn wrote:OTOH, I did see "2001" in Cinerama with 47 big honking Altech-Lansing speakers suspended from the ceiling.

But did you see "Earthquake" in Sensurround?

------------------
I Bet on Sky

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
OldMatador wrote:I disagree with using the speaker wire that comes with the package. It's thin and crap. Sure, it's acceptable, but there is a difference quality wise with a thicker speaker wire compared to a thin one, especially at long distances. For the speaker wire they bundle, you might as well have an 8x8 room.

You are 100% correct my friend.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

scotttampa

sniffersrow wrote:We won't know until they start appearing in the wild. From Onkyo:

Dear Valued Customers,

(ENTER S/N @ URL ABOVE)

You're right, these were probably made after that date... plus, it says on their site "even if your warranty is expired, you are eligible for this free recall" so... even if you have "this problem" listed for the recall 5 years down the road, it will be fixed for free! That was a relief to see, as I got one! Can't wait to get it!

Duukdkarn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Duukdkarn
wouldmanus wrote:16 gauge should work fine. Pretty much the norm for surround sound speakers.

I actually did not use the skimpy wires that came with the ATX-R290 system a few weeks ago. I used some 16 gauge for everything.

Duukdkarn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Duukdkarn
philipvarghese wrote:Where can I get good speaker wires 14 gauge ?

Monoprice.com for HDMI Cables, speaker wire, and whatever else floats your boat.

StanleyS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages StanleyS
Duukdkarn wrote:Monoprice.com for HDMI Cables, speaker wire, and whatever else floats your boat.

Speaker wire from your local hardware store.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
StanleyS wrote:Speaker wire from your local hardware store.

Just use plain 16 gauge zip cord (lamp cord) from Home Depot. Buy it by the foot.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.