ssand23

quality posts: 16 Private Messages ssand23

We have a Dyson DC25 that I bought exactly 2 years ago. It really does work that well. We have a mix of carpeted areas, hard wood in the bedrooms and it has never scratched the wood floors and I vacuum every day. I also use it instead of a broom in the kitchen and it hasn't harmed that floor either. We have 5 people with severe allergies, 2 cats and 3 people with long hair so we need a vacuum that can really work well.

We used to have another major brand and I thought it was working well but I vacuumed with the other one & then with the Dyson right after and I could not believe how much dust, etc was left behind by the other brand vacuum we had. I'm a Dyson customer for life.

The only con is that some of the little pieces broke. Nothing that has affected the function but enough that I have tape on my vacuum. Though I do think my toddler trying to "help" had a lot to do with it. ;) I highly recommend buying one of these despite the small problems I had but I also highly recommend buying one that has a 2 year warranty. We were good with it for a year but it was after a year that little parts needed fixing. Again, I do use it every single day (sometimes 2-3 times a day, 4 kids are messy) and have little kids & pets, so ours is used a lot more than most but still buy this with a warranty so if a small part breaks, you don't have to pay big to fix it.

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid
yayobama wrote:Looks like Dyson's first Valentines Day color, 2 weeks in advance. 'Nice timing, Woot!

The perfect Valentine's Day gift for my pregnant wife! Loooooooooooove you!

Suck it, Trebek.

Brihen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Brihen

Does this come with the Quick-draw Telescope Reach™ wand? I might get one if it does. I don't see it specifically mentioned.

pupyluvr

quality posts: 47 Private Messages pupyluvr

Only one ball?

So, what happened to the other ball... too many performance enhancing drugs or what?

placlair

quality posts: 1 Private Messages placlair

We purchased a refurb'd yellow DC25 a few years ago, and for the most part, it has been fantastic. We did have to get it repaired once, during which time the repair guy let us know that the ball design leads to fraying of the wires that control the beater bar, so he had to replace that for us. So, the ball design definitely has it's functional advantages, but it's far from perfect. The all-floors aspect of this vacuum is awesome, and something that we absolutely love.

I would not hesitate at all to purchase another refurb'd Dyson vacuum (it does clean better than any vacuum that we've ever used, and we've used every major brand out there), but I might steer clear of the ball design next time.

ButtonGirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ButtonGirl

I have a Dyson Animal (ball) with special attachments to help with animals in the house. It is the BEST vacuum EVER!!! I have owned Filter Queen ($1,400) and MANY other vacuums but nothing can hold a candle to the suction of this one. I've had mine for years and it still runs like new. I have 2 large dogs in my house and it removes all their hair and mess. I highly recommend Dyson products. You have to hand wind the cord, but really, are you looking for a vacuum or cord winder?

jjr2527

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjr2527

We bought one of these refurbs about a year ago. Loved it, used it every other day, then we got a tear in the hose now we can't use the wand until we get a replacement hose which apparently can't be ordered from the website.

NodCom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NodCom
fenix1186 wrote:The real question is, if these Dyson vacuums are so good... then why are there so many refurbished ones on W00t all the time? Just an idea to ponder.

Dyson Factory Gremlins, you only pay full price when they dont find any gremlins. Woot-Refebished means It works and you wont have a problem with it.

mantorp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mantorp
Pipanella wrote:I have a purple Dyson Animal that I bought refurbished years ago. I love it, although my husband doesn't think it performs any better than any other vacuum we've had. (I disagree.) I've wanted a Dyson Ball, but have concerns about it scratching wood floors. I've read in some reviews that this might be an issue. Has anyone here got any input on that?

I got a refurb Dyson ball from here a few years ago and it's a floor scratcher.

vipre01

quality posts: 6 Private Messages vipre01

Refurbished items: yay or nay?

xorcyst666

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xorcyst666
ChronoSquall14 wrote:The most important thing to acknowledge here is how awesome this extended David Bowie homage is.

Will it be delivered by a guy that looks like Che Guevara in a diesel van?

dfwhokie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dfwhokie

When did Woot! start selling Dyson?
This is awesome.

hollyj21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hollyj21

We purchased a Slim Line (no ball) from Woot in 2008. We used it daily in a small one bedroom apartment. We have pets, and I had very long hair at the time. It died in 2010, but I didn't realize we only had a 6mo warranty on it, because it was refurbished. We called Dyson to ask what to do, and spoke to a "less than helpful" (okay, down right mean rep), who basically said, "That's why you buy them new." We were shocked, and didn't think to call back to talk to someone else about authorized repair shops or anything like that.

Having read so many positive reviews about their customer service since then, I think we just ended up with a bad apple. I desperately want the Purple Dyson animal (now pets and a toddler). My husband desperately wants a Dyson Ball vacuum. He does all of the cleaning, because I'm disabled, so what he wants is important. Due to the positive experiences people have had, and the longevity they've had with theirs, this is extremely tempting.

I've had people tell me that there is actually no difference in the amount of suction between the vacuums, just the attachments that come with it. That said, I'm no engineer, so I don't know if that's accurate or not.

That Slim Line was THE best vacuum we'd ever owned. We had a very high quality one before it, and were totally shocked by how much the Slim Line picked up after it.

To the folks who had to repair at a shop, was it very expensive? For the folks who received parts out of warranty, were they expensive, or did they send them for free?

Thank you all for your input in this thread and previous Dyson Refurb threads. We are seriously looking into this one now. If not this one, then maybe a purple one in the future.

Holy Heck, how do I change my user avatar? Wow! Sorry, first post. Lol!

billthegunowner

quality posts: 10 Private Messages billthegunowner

I bought one of these last time Woot offered it. I absolutely love it. It makes vacuuming so easy. Very maneuverable, easy to push, and an extra long cord. Puts my old Hoover to shame. I can't believe how much cat hair it picks up that the Hoover was leaving behind. Super easy to empty the collector, much easier than replacing the bag on the Hoover. I had to call Dyson with an assembly question and I can testify their customer service is top notch with no wait time. If you're on the fence about buying one, go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Bill

billthegunowner

quality posts: 10 Private Messages billthegunowner

Yay. I've purchased one Dyson and two Visio refurbs from Woot. All three arrived packed like new, look like new, and perform like new. I'm very satisfied.

Bill

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
vipre01 wrote:Refurbished items: yay or nay?

Ultimately it's a personal choice, but I've had good experiences with refurbs.

I'm just hanging out, really.

rrpwiii

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rrpwiii
mnasatka wrote:Anybody have experience with these Dyson refurbs? I know I've seen them here in the past and wanted some info on how these stack up. Woot's return policy gives me some pause. Thanks in advance.

I Picked up a refurbished DC25 last fall for $20 more and have been remarkably happy with it. It has not made vacuuming fun per say but I spend much less time yelling at the vacuum since.

scotthale

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scotthale
WhoKnowsWho wrote:Why are there so many refurbished Dyson vacs all the time?

I had a Dyson and the motor inside the vacuum head died. I have heard that this happens a lot. A separate motor that turns on/off when moved to upright position seems to give it problems.

hoodude47

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoodude47

Power cord is short..needs 6 or 8 or 10 foot extension cord. Otherwise pretty good tool.

kuma99

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kuma99
bdtribble wrote:It also rmbarresed the Kirby salesman pretty bad when his 2500 dollar vacuum didn't do any better than by refurbed Dyson XD

I paid-up for a Kirby and have been very satisfied. That was in 1981 and I vacuumed my floors with it today. It's made mostly of metal, so it lasts longer than any plastic. Expensive vacuums aren't silly- as long as they really last.

Dyson internals are toys. Have you ever changed the belt in one? I can change a kirby belt ($1.50) without tools in under a minute.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 499 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

dfwhokie wrote:When did Woot! start selling Dyson?
This is awesome.

I KNOW, RIGHT!? We are practically giddy about this offer.

Pipanella

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pipanella
lrsmithwhaley wrote:I've used a Dyson for a couple years on both Laminate, and Hardwood floors with no scratches.

Thank you!

Pipanella

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pipanella
mantorp wrote:I got a refurb Dyson ball from here a few years ago and it's a floor scratcher.

:-(

Thanks for letting me know.

timcurry

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timcurry

I use mine on a combination of hardwood and thick wool rugs and it's a fantastic performer both places. Haven't seen any scratches on the wood but it's really easy to turn off the beater bar if you're concerned.

Slydon

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

Moueska wrote:ohmmmmm....

I sense this to be a Slydon write-up.

How did you know?

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

peglec

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peglec

I bought this the last time it was offered here, and it went in the shop a week after I received it. Apparently the wand portion was broken and they had to replace it. Thank God it was under warranty, but, it has a limited warranty so if anything else goes on this thing I will have to pay for it. I always wanted a Dyson, and when I saw this offer for 1/2 off the original price I decided to give it a try. Trust me, next time I see anything offered as refurbished I will think twice before buying it.

mbowserjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbowserjr

Worst Dyson model ever! Had mine for less than a year and it lost half of its suction and then started to fall apart, first the release mechanism n the back of the ball and then the handle. Bought an $80 Hoover and have been happy ever since and that was two or three years ago.

mbowserjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbowserjr
peglec wrote:I bought this the last time it was offered here, and it went in the shop a week after I received it. Apparently the wand portion was broken and they had to replace it. Thank God it was under warranty, but, it has a limited warranty so if anything else goes on this thing I will have to pay for it. I always wanted a Dyson, and when I saw this offer for 1/2 off the original price I decided to give it a try. Trust me, next time I see anything offered as refurbished I will think twice before buying it.

This model tends to fall apart even when it's new. They're good for about six months.

lydiagirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lydiagirl

[

Maybe they break a lot though.

My mom had a Dyson. It broke very easily. It's made of plastic! But then again, I did run over it with my car on accident.

I bought her a DC25 (i think), and she LOVES it and it works like a charm. It's been a year and it's going strong. In terms of hardwood floors, I know you can turn off the spinny brush thing.

I have a DC24, which is also a ball vacuum, much smaller (good for my apt). Very nice as well.[/quote]

Hmmm......it makes sense that if someone is throwing their vacuum on the garage floor where it can be run over, then probably you aren't that careful with your items. Dysons are made well, but there is NO vacuum that will withstand the abuse you give yours.....

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl

Nature abhors a vacuum...

and so do I, as anyone who has been to my place can tell you.

sugarpearls

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sugarpearls
hollyj21 wrote:We purchased a Slim Line (no ball) from Woot in 2008. We used it daily in a small one bedroom apartment. We have pets, and I had very long hair at the time. It died in 2010, but I didn't realize we only had a 6mo warranty on it, because it was refurbished. We called Dyson to ask what to do, and spoke to a "less than helpful" (okay, down right mean rep), who basically said, "That's why you buy them new." We were shocked, and didn't think to call back to talk to someone else about authorized repair shops or anything like that.

Having read so many positive reviews about their customer service since then, I think we just ended up with a bad apple. I desperately want the Purple Dyson animal (now pets and a toddler). My husband desperately wants a Dyson Ball vacuum. He does all of the cleaning, because I'm disabled, so what he wants is important. Due to the positive experiences people have had, and the longevity they've had with theirs, this is extremely tempting.

I've had people tell me that there is actually no difference in the amount of suction between the vacuums, just the attachments that come with it. That said, I'm no engineer, so I don't know if that's accurate or not.

That Slim Line was THE best vacuum we'd ever owned. We had a very high quality one before it, and were totally shocked by how much the Slim Line picked up after it.

To the folks who had to repair at a shop, was it very expensive? For the folks who received parts out of warranty, were they expensive, or did they send them for free?

Thank you all for your input in this thread and previous Dyson Refurb threads. We are seriously looking into this one now. If not this one, then maybe a purple one in the future.

Holy Heck, how do I change my user avatar? Wow! Sorry, first post. Lol!

My parents have the DC18 (slim) and I have a refurb 25 . . . the slim vacuum is my favorite vacuum of all time -- the 25 is great, but much heavier. I've had mine since June and no problems thus far (knock on wood . . . since now I'm beyond the warranty). After reading the comments about the ball affecting the wiring, I would go with a non-ball model if I ever needed another Dyson in the future. The ball is cool-looking, but no more manueverable than the non-ball Dyson Slim.

My parents have had theirs since 2007 . . . foot pedal stopped working after a few years (more of a minor annoyance than anything, but Dyson authorized a fix so that was taken care of), and recently my mom only let the filter dry a day after washing (instead of a few days), and the Dyson folks were very friendly and sent out a second filter and also a new cannister for free. They were beyond the warranty at this point, so I'm not sure if the fact that I had a Dyson refurb also registered to the same address made Dyson regard us as "loyal customers," or if they just lucked out and got some particularly generous customer service rep.

I believe what you've stated about the vacuum colors vs. power is correct . . . but sometimes the "animal" line will come with a handy motorized mini-tool (not sure if the refurbs do or not).

As far as the avatar . . . I would trade for your avatar in a heartbeat, if that were possible (I loathe my avatar options and don't have any applicable other accounts to link).

sixdolla

quality posts: 24 Private Messages sixdolla

Maybe someone will get one of the two Dysons my parents had to take back. Even the 3rd one died and they just called it quits and trashed it. I've never seen anything like it those things were just garbage! And I really wanted one of those fancy blade less fans but not going to fork out the cash for that kind of "quality".

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
jjr2527 wrote:We bought one of these refurbs about a year ago. Loved it, used it every other day, then we got a tear in the hose now we can't use the wand until we get a replacement hose which apparently can't be ordered from the website.

You have some options. If the tear in the hose is close to the end, you can trim the hose and reattach it. There are several YouTube videos showing how to do this, and it's different depending on which model you have.

You can also order a replacement hose from Amazon or another vendor. You can get genuine parts or third-party substitutes, which cost less. I haven't used any, so I can't vouch for quality.

The third alternative (Red Green's favorite) is to bandage the hose with duct tape. This won't look pretty, but will usually last as long as the machine.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Just a quick word on the warranty. I, and apparently several other people found that when we registered our refurbs online, we got the full 5-year warranty. The suspected reason was that the original purchaser (assuming there was one) never registered the unit so as far as Dyson's service dept. computers were concerned you were the original buyer. Might still work, might not.

pammyz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pammyz
mnasatka wrote:Anybody have experience with these Dyson refurbs? I know I've seen them here in the past and wanted some info on how these stack up. Woot's return policy gives me some pause. Thanks in advance.

I bought a refurb about 3 years ago on here...still using it to this day..no problems, best vacuum I have owned.

jimbonsf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimbonsf

I bought one of these last year from Woot. I love it and it works exceptionally well!

fjp999

quality posts: 14 Private Messages fjp999
RWoodward wrote:Just a quick word on the warranty. I, and apparently several other people found that when we registered our refurbs online, we got the full 5-year warranty. The suspected reason was that the original purchaser (assuming there was one) never registered the unit so as far as Dyson's service dept. computers were concerned you were the original buyer. Might still work, might not.

That is pretty lucky.

If that doesnt work then I would highly recommend getting a Square Trade Warranty (which I see is available on this purchase).

Since Dyson only does 6 months & Square Trade will do one or two years. You can usually find a 30% off coupon as well.

steverino129

quality posts: 0 Private Messages steverino129

This is a SUPER buy. They are the cat's meow!!

Moueska

quality posts: 52 Private Messages Moueska
Slydon wrote:How did you know?

WAIT, I WAS RIGHT?!

Oh, let's call it a lucky guess. :D