WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Etón Emergency Gear: Life Doesn't Have to be a Disaster

Did you know you can actually PREPARE for stuff before it happens, thereby negating much of the horrible consequences? It's true! Get yourself an Etón radio so you can continue to get news and information even after your world comes crashing down around you.
Etón official site

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Tell us how you are prepared for weather emergencies!

I'm just hanging out, really.

najaracing

quality posts: 1 Private Messages najaracing

I bought the Ruckus on a previous Woot. I originally was looking a a Jawbone Jambox and other small speakers, but I couldn't justify the price for a speaker that sounds crappy just because it is small. I bought the Ruckus b/c the price is right and it takes AA batteries so I can replace when they have ended their useful life (rechargable batteries don't last forever, you know).

Couldn't be happier. Sound is good and it is pretty rugged. My 5 year old dropped it on the tile and no worries. It also connected easily to my Windows Phone 8 and connects each time no problem. No complaints from me.

mhcaillesrn

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mhcaillesrn

I'll pass on this deal, I will prefer the solar version for versatility, then this is not even a good deal, considering the price plus shipping, at Amazon it's cheaper 44.91 with free shipping!

Visit Amazon

calculush1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages calculush1

I have the regular (non-red cross) version of the Eton solar fm/am weather radio, and I really like it. The hand crank charges well as does the tiny solar panel. I haven't tried charging my phone from it, but I'm sure it will do just fine. I'm going to pick up some for my friends and family at this price. I originally paid $30 for mine on amazon, and it's identical except mine is black and doesn't have the red cross logo. The flashlight is pretty strong and I get great reception on fm, am, and weather channels.

Here is a link to the one I have and already like for camping and general "preparedness." It gets pretty good reviews

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QTXKB0/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

math is music

puzzzled1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages puzzzled1

Emergency Checklist #1

Keep things loaded....
your bar, your bee bee guns... rechargable batteries. I'll keep thinking...I know there's more.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I was given one of those $39 models and found it to be flimsy and with poor reception.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

xdavex

quality posts: 15 Private Messages xdavex

Blackout Buddies work great. I have one as a night light/entry light.
We lost power last night and it truly shone as an emergency light. Too bad I missed them this time around.

tfreeman451

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tfreeman451

Bought the Rukus on a previous Woot. I love it. Very easy to set up the Bluetooth and get it enabled. I really wanted this to basically replace my phone (music/radio/MLB games) while I'm working outside. So far it's been too cold outside to try this, so I've been using in the house while doing projects.

Buy 3, give 2 as gifts, keep 1 for yourself.

aceyx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aceyx

If you missed out on the Blackout Buddies, Eastern Mountain Sports has them on closeout. ~$14 for a 2 pack, in-store only.

bin2rong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bin2rong

Eton's website says the Rukus will give you 8 hr. on an internal lithium battery plus 2 add'l with 6 AAs. If my underutilized math skills still function, that seems to add up to Woot's 10 hr. w/6AA battery description. Looks like this is a rechargeable unit, so I'm buying.

jakerson9

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jakerson9

I had one of the little solar powered Eton ARCFR160WXR weather radios. It was solar powered, and crank powered. But it was junk. The crank wouldn't power it, and leaving it in the sun wouldn't power it.

Eton wouldn't take it back.

NOT RECOMMENDED!

Wagnbat

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Wagnbat

Got the emergency lights full price from the mother site a while ago. Too brite when installed... About 8 months later and now very very dim and one of the four doesn't work in nightlight mode. Decent for the price, but expected better from LEDs.

kmeltzer

quality posts: 32 Private Messages kmeltzer

Darn.. missed the Blackout Buddies. I got 2 of these previously, and really like them. Was looking out for them to get a few more, but looks like I snoozed, and losed.

laivindil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laivindil

Was looking at the Etón ARCFR600R_RF and decided to wait until I returned from Home Depot. Good thing since I saw the exact same model there for $24.99 brand new, not refurbished.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

amscarff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amscarff

I've been very happy with the Bluetooth speaker. Surprisingly lightweight and puts out decent sound for a mobile speaker. I usually stream Pandora from iPod/iPhone and works very well. Easy to connect. Bluetooth range isn't as good as Creative D200 but still adequate.

kittiesonacid

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kittiesonacid

Got the Rover during a previous Woot. It definitely came in handy during the hurricane. It's compact, but still throws a pretty decent sized light. Probably the most useful part was the built in USB charger that allowed us to charge our cell phones.

kren2000

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kren2000

pamtha

quality posts: 12 Private Messages pamtha

I have the ETON S.A.M.E. weather radio from a previous Woot (but mine is missing the Red Cross logo). Love it - works beautifully and scares the snot out of the entire house when there is a alert. Have to say I dislike the periodic alert tests from NOAA, as it's doubly terrifying to have that thing start screeching when I'm by myself during a sunny day, but that's NOAA, not ETON's fault. User manual was lacking - had to look up detailed config instructions online.

redfame

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redfame
pamtha wrote: Have to say I dislike the periodic alert tests from NOAA, as it's doubly terrifying to have that thing start screeching when I'm by myself during a sunny day, but that's NOAA, not ETON's fault. User manual was lacking - had to look up detailed config instructions online.

This is my concern, though I only bought one for the tornado aspects. seems like the Winter time there is always some warning going on, and that is annoying. I hope it is something I can live with in the summer on all the time instead of focused due to false alarms/warning = watch.

kfujita

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kfujita

I bought the Solar AM/FM/Weather Band model (non-Red Cross branded) from Amazon for a friend, and he loves it.

Favorable reviews on Amazon

ciabelle

quality posts: 16 Private Messages ciabelle
redfame wrote:This is my concern, though I only bought one for the tornado aspects. seems like the Winter time there is always some warning going on, and that is annoying. I hope it is something I can live with in the summer on all the time instead of focused due to false alarms/warning = watch.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. While being alerted of a tornado in the middle of the night is a good thing. I was quite irate to be alerted to a "severe fog warning" in the wee hours while I *was* asleep.

Hopefully someday there'll be a programmable weather radio that not only reduces the radius of alerts, (I really don't need to be advised of a tornado warning for an area 30 miles away) but one that I could select which alerts would alert me at specific times of the day.

When I'm in bed, please leave it to life threatening events such as tornadoes, brush fires, floods, etc within 5-10 minutes of where I reside. Advisories, watches, and most warnings for thunderstorms, hail, wind, fog, air quality, or extreme temperatures can wait until I've gotten up and had my coffee.

xninjagrrl

quality posts: 7 Private Messages xninjagrrl
ciabelle wrote:Unfortunately, I have to agree. While being alerted of a tornado in the middle of the night is a good thing. I was quite irate to be alerted to a "severe fog warning" in the wee hours while I *was* asleep.

Hopefully someday there'll be a programmable weather radio that not only reduces the radius of alerts, (I really don't need to be advised of a tornado warning for an area 30 miles away) but one that I could select which alerts would alert me at specific times of the day.

When I'm in bed, please leave it to life threatening events such as tornadoes, brush fires, floods, etc within 5-10 minutes of where I reside. Advisories, watches, and most warnings for thunderstorms, hail, wind, fog, air quality, or extreme temperatures can wait until I've gotten up and had my coffee.

I watched a Youtube review of the ETON AM/FM/SW/NOAA and you can select which alerts you want to be alerted for. So if you dont care about fog warnings turn them off. I ordered this radio just for emergencies (ie: I am stuck in the eye of a hurricane and was too lazy to flee Florida). For every day weather alerts I use Weather Radio app on my phone, it tracks my location and only gives me alerts within a 10 mile radius of my present position. In the day and age of smartphones, there's no need to keep an ETON plugged in 24/7. It's more for when the storm is so bad your cell service is out. For me that would be a Katrina-esque scenario and this is going in my tac-pack.

In case anyone actually cares about the shortwave function, it only has a scan feature so you cannot plug in the channel you are looking for, no fine tuning like on Kaito Voyager Pros or pricey Grundigs. I highly doubt this tiny antenna could pick up obscure channels anyways.

Pros: The pills were there.
Cons: So was the tank.