rocknrollohio

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rocknrollohio
claynpotter wrote:Pentec Vega hasn full 1080P on 5.3 inch sscreen. Avaiable only in Korea.

What good is that for you?

prosperouscheat

quality posts: 41 Private Messages prosperouscheat
halleyscomet wrote:Samsung kit is so unstable, if I got this as a GIFT I'd sell it so I could buy something more stable. It is NOT worth buying at this or any other price point. You WILL regret owing Samsung hardware.

A MAJOR problem is their proprietary launcher, which crashes on me multiple times a day. Most the long term fixes involved rooting the phone or erasing the Samsung Android fork and replacing it with Cyanogen. That however voids the warranty.

That's right, the only way to make Samsung hardware usable is to void the warranty.

I've had my Galaxy Tab over a year and it hasn't crashed on me once. Don't know what the phones are like but the tablet's been great for me.

ILGal

quality posts: 30 Private Messages ILGal

Not sure which Tab you want to compare to, but the Note has better processor (Quad-Core vs. dual-core), more RAM (2 GB vs. 1 GB), better rear camera (5 MP vs. 3 MP). Some Tabs do not have MicroSDHC slots (different models vary).

ninjapixie wrote:Any opinions on the Note vs the Tab?

Been thinking about getting one to replace my laptop, and use it for stuff like web browsing, apps/games, streaming videos, and e-reader. Already have a Samsung phone and TV, so I'd like to stick to Samsung for the integration features. Probably wouldn't use it at work, and I'm not in school, so I don't know how handy the stylus would be.

ryanfj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryanfj

I have this tablet, I love it! It comes with the Peel Smart Remote app, which works great. It's easy to program with a variety of manufacturer devices (I have samsung sound system, DirecTV, and an LG TV, no problems with any of these.) The best part is its integration with DTV guide. I never use the DTV guide to find programs anymore. Here its link on the Google Play store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.peel.app

HughHemington wrote:Do they include a "universal remote" app to use the IR Blaster feature? I bought the Vizio to do this, but the app blows.

If any of these things were programmable like high-end remotes, they'd sell like crazy just for that.

cloudix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cloudix
j5 wrote:For those who laud the included Photshop app, how do you get the stupid thing to start with a blank drawing? I was test driving this unit and could not for the life of me get around "import picture, take a picture" as the only options for a new project.

That all said, I'm waiting to see what the 8" Galaxy Note brings.

Just start ps and hit the +
If you want to be artistic and do more than edit a pic try sketch book it is the only app I broke down and bought the pro version, try the free first, it works fully with the notes stylist function.

voldejour

quality posts: 0 Private Messages voldejour

About a month ago I was deciding between this (Galaxy Note 10.1 16GB, when it was $449 at Amazon) and the 3rd generation refurbished iPad (16GB, wifi only, for around $400 after tax). I was upgrading from the original iPad. I ended up buying the refurbished iPad, only because the iPad dimensions work better for viewing PDF documents (I read a lot of academic journals). However, the iPad is awkward to use as a note taking device - you just can't compare a capacitive touch stylus to a Wacom digitizer. Now I'm seriously considering buying a Note 10.1 as well for productivity purposes.

cloudix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cloudix
onafox wrote:I would like to use this tablet at my business to "swipe" credit cards. I can do this on my phone and to have a tablet would be wonderful so it can be done by other workers. The app I use is FD Mobile Pay.
Can I use this? Thank you.

I wouldn't do it, you would need an adapter for th 50 pin connector, this wouldn't be my first choice.

throwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages throwoot
chaotickinesis wrote:This whole resolution race for mobile devices is nothing but Apple gimmickry so that they can say how much better their device is than the competition. Unless you prefer to hold your phone/tablet 6" from your face, you're not going to notice the difference in pixel density.

Apple gimmickry?

The difference in pixel density between the iPhone 4 and previous generations was obvious. Apple selected an appropriate pixel density and have stuck with it. The iPhone 4,4S,5 all have the exact same pixel density.

Maybe you don't understand how pixel density, resolution, and screen size are related?

With a ppi of ~149, you're definitely going to notice it compared to something with 250 or 300 ppi.

gak0090

quality posts: 79 Private Messages gak0090

If you need a tablet and will specifically be using the note taking abilities- this is an excellent choice. If you will not be using that functionality at all, then either save some money and get a cheaper model with a Tegra 3, or spend a few bucks more and get the 1920x1200 resolution Tranformer Infinity- it runs about $450.

mystixa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mystixa

I have this one, and the acer iconia tf700 both, and Ive used an 2010 ipad whichever that one is. Its a good tablet. Performs well, no excessive lag. The screen is fine, people complaining about it are making up things in their own head. We've watched videos on it, used it for reading books, and its main use of taking notes.

the thing that takes it above the rest is the stylus. Absolutely nothing beats it for input accuracy. We tried several other tablets, and even bought that tf700 before the note thinking we could use it them for taking notes in class.

No go. No matter how we tried, what applications we put on them, the input just wasn't accurate enough and/or fast enough to write like normal. With the note you can write like normal.

Still haven't gotten the hang of using a tablet for artistic purposes. This is the only one with input accurate enough to even start trying without getting frustrated within minutes though.

Oh, and the multi app thing is really nothing to sniff at either. We've made good use of that, especially when studying. If you want to look at a page and be taking notes at the same time, or watch a class video and take notes, this is the best way to do it. (the smaller note is a joke for this, its just too small.)

You can pull up a web page, and Snote at the same time and take notes on it. Plus there are a few things like the calculator that you can pull up as a 3rd floating window. (very handy with the calculator) This is an ability none of the other tablets have, and its been a useful tool.

Good tablet. Usually goes for more then this price.

jayjay72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayjay72
j5 wrote:For those who laud the included Photshop app, how do you get the stupid thing to start with a blank drawing? I was test driving this unit and could not for the life of me get around "import picture, take a picture" as the only options for a new project.

Photoshop is really intended for photo editing, thus only the import options. It has very limited drawing features. I purchased Sketchpad Pro which also takes advantage of the pressure sensitivity and it works great. I did use Photoshop a lot when purchasing a new house to modify plot surveys and blueprints. Photoshop is an incredibly powerful tool when you use it for what it's intended but you will be very unhappy if you try to use it for something it was never intended for.

mystixa

cloudix wrote:I wouldn't do it, you would need an adapter for th 50 pin connector, this wouldn't be my first choice.

Incorrect. The large interface is for power, USB, and HDMI. The Note has a regular headphone jack which is all you need for a card reader, including the one from fd pay.

jayjay72

throwoot wrote:Apple selected an appropriate pixel density and have stuck with it.

Mini? It is a gimmick. Apple knows it. They're release a Mini HD soon just so they can sucker more people into buying that version and they'll go on about how great the screen is. They know it doesn't matter that much but it's a selling point.

bogawoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bogawoot

Costco Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 WiFi 16GB Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 NEW - $349.99...C'mon Woot...REALLY? $379???

mystixa

di410733 wrote:I'm only using mine as a universal remote anymore - and there's a good app called Touchsquid (very programmable, great support) available.

I was so disappointed with this thing because I thought the stylus would let me interact with it fully (like send emails & all) - but sadly, the stylus only works in the Note app, and what it captures is images, not text - not very useful for email (people don't want to receive an image file to see a couple of lines of text).

This post is full of fail.

1. The stylus works everywhere as input into the Note. It works as a wacom stylus in the photoshop app for example. You are not going to use any stylus 'to send emails' as this poster wanted to do. That requires OCR as well to change pix into text. Otherwise the stylus is quite good at selecting text for cutting and pasting purposes. Its much more accurate then my other tablet a iconia tf700. Even the normal finger touching is more accurate in the note.

edit: as a later commenter made note of you CAN use the OCR in Snote and other applications to translate your handwriting into text for emails and the like. To me tablet based OCR just isnt consistant enough to make that a worthwhile endeavor, not even PC based OCR is that good.

I was mainly talking above about the OP complaint that all the stylus does is move pictures about, which isn't true.
2. The remote is note just limited to the samsung remote app. The Note comes with the Peel smart remote app as a default. There is also touchsquid, which works, but the full version is quite expensive at $50.

wingzero2085

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wingzero2085

I've had this tab (16GB, grey) since the day it came out in the USA and I absolutely love it. The screen resolution is perfectly fine, IMO. What you DO get is a Wacom pressure sensitive stylus that is just amazing and pretty much unlike anything else out there.

The 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update this tablet just received a couple of weeks ago makes it even better -- the multi-window options are expanded (many 3rd party apps are supported now, not just a handful of pre-installed Samsung apps), and the s-pen features make this device a beast for getting work done.

It comes with Photoshop Touch pre-installed, but I MUCH prefer Sketchbook Pro from Autodesk for drawing (it supports pressure sensitive styluses). The included S-Note app is wonderful for note-taking (I use it to maintain a digital recipe collection as well -- it imports PDF files or even screenshots from the web and allows you to take notes on them/next to them, etc). There's just nothing quite like this on any other tablet on the market.

The Note 10.1 also works with a number of different Wacom styluses (you aren't stuck with just the little one that's included), including nice ones with the eraser feature (picked one of these up at my local AT&T store) or ones that really feel like a regular pen in your hand.

All in all, at 419 for the 32GB unit, this is a seriously awesome deal. I'd probably opt for the 32GB at that price!

wingzero2085

mystixa wrote:This post is full of fail.

1. The stylus works everywhere as input into the Note. It works as a wacom stylus in the photoshop app for example. You are not going to use any stylus 'to send emails' as this poster wanted to do. That requires OCR as well to change pix into text. Otherwise the stylus is quite good at selecting text for cutting and pasting purposes. Its much more accurate then my other tablet a iconia tf700. Even the normal finger touching is more accurate in the note.

Actually, the Samsung keyboard has a handwriting input mode, so you CAN use the stylus to write emails ;). S-Note also supports handwriting-to-text as well.

jayjay72

JinOh wrote:Its ipad thin...really flat and sleek.

iPad = .37" thick, 662g
Note 10.1 = .35" thick, 600g
That higher resolution costs you in weight and thickness whereas the Note's digitizer doesn't really add that much more weight or thickness.

Here's another tidbit of info.
iPad 64GB = $699
Note 10.1 16GB = $550 retail
64 microSD card = $50
So $600 or $700 for 16GB more storage. What makes more sense?

By the way don't listen to stupid battery duration test results. Engadget tests it by playing a 720p video file in a loop. If you play a 720p file on a Note 10.1 on its 16:10 screen you fill a majority of the screen. On an iPad you have HUGE black borders on the top and bottom. Of course the battery will last longer if you're just showing black borders. They should test it playing a 4:3 video and see what happens.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
bogawoot wrote:Costco Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 WiFi 16GB Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 NEW - $349.99...C'mon Woot...REALLY? $379???

Well, not everyone has a Costco membership...

I'm just hanging out, really.

mangamonster

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mangamonster
bogawoot wrote:Costco Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 WiFi 16GB Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 NEW - $349.99...C'mon Woot...REALLY? $379???

Hmmm, are you referring to this? If so, it's the tab, not the Note.

http://www.costco.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-Tablet%E2%84%A2-2-10.1-WiFi-16GB-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-4.0.product.11759400.html

Gamrz Podcast Show

chaotickinesis

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chaotickinesis
throwoot wrote:Apple gimmickry?

The difference in pixel density between the iPhone 4 and previous generations was obvious. Apple selected an appropriate pixel density and have stuck with it. The iPhone 4,4S,5 all have the exact same pixel density.

Maybe you don't understand how pixel density, resolution, and screen size are related?

With a ppi of ~149, you're definitely going to notice it compared to something with 250 or 300 ppi.

Gimmickry indeed.

Maybe you don't understand how pixel density, resolution, screen size, and viewing distance are related? We do not hold a 4-5" device, meant for one-handed use, at the same distance as we would a 10" dual-hand operated one. If distance is doubled, pixel density needs are halved in order to achieve the same effect.

The ~300 PPI standard makes sense for phones, not tablets or other displays. Unless of course you buy them to hold at unrealistically close distances to your eyes and marvel at their resolution.

kreinartz83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kreinartz83
HughHemington wrote:Do they include a "universal remote" app to use the IR Blaster feature? I bought the Vizio to do this, but the app blows.

If any of these things were programmable like high-end remotes, they'd sell like crazy just for that.

://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=remote.touch.samsung&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwicmVtb3RlLnRvdWNoLnNhbXN1bmciXQ..

bigjoe87865

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigjoe87865

How does this compare to the Asus tf300 32gb + dock refurb $335 offered a few times in the past?

how does it compare as far as the tablets themselves go and the deals

throwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages throwoot
chaotickinesis wrote:The ~300 PPI standard makes sense for phones, not tablets or other displays. Unless of course you buy them to hold at unrealistically close distances to your eyes and marvel at their resolution.

Right, which is why ~250 is appropriate for a tablet.

The Galaxy Note is 149 ppi. People will notice a difference if they're used to screens with a higher pixel density.

Your posts imply that the difference is negligible, which isn't true.

Some people don't care, and that's fine.

danbfas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danbfas

I think you're confusing the price with the Galaxy Tab at $349. I was at Costco yesterday, and they are asking $429 for the Note 10.1.

gak0090

quality posts: 79 Private Messages gak0090
throwoot wrote:Right, which is why ~250 is appropriate for a tablet.

The Galaxy Note is 149 ppi. People will notice a difference if they're used to screens with a higher pixel density.

Original IPAD I & II 132 PPI and nobody complained. You can't compare a phone to a tablet for pixel density because of the smaller scale of the icons, images etc lower pixel density exhibit pixellation easier than do larger items when displayed on a tablet. I own a Rezound that at 342 PPI has the highest pixel density out there including the "earth shattering" retina display that everyone thinks is so fabulous. I have no issue with the 10.1 inch Tegra 2 displays that are still at a paltry 149 PPI. The Asus transformer infinity is only at 224 PPI and it is putting a 1920 x 1200 resolution on a 10.1 inch display- and according to you this display is "not appropriate" for a tablet. The retina display along with the Nexus 10 display is a waste of resources given the scaling of those size tablets and the distance at which they are used and viewed.

theatomizer90

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theatomizer90

i took the plunge. I am excited to use this for school work. Also, where can i get an "accident warranty"

nanaejt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt
danbfas wrote:I think you're confusing the price with the Galaxy Tab at $349. I was at Costco yesterday, and they are asking $429 for the Note 10.1.

I'm looking at my Costco coupon book and it says $439.99 after $40 off(close enough)so I agree with you.
What say you "bogawoot",are you seeing a lower price still?

chaotickinesis

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chaotickinesis
throwoot wrote:Right, which is why ~250 is appropriate for a tablet.

Your posts imply that the difference is negligible, which isn't true.

Some people don't care, and that's fine.

Why quote only part of my post, and respond to it, when the other part already addresses what you go on to write?

We do not hold a 4-5" device, meant for one-handed use, at the same distance as we would a 10" dual-hand operated one. If distance is doubled, pixel density needs are halved in order to achieve the same effect.

I recognize that stating we would hold a 10" tablet twice as far as a phone is an assumption on my part. However, yours is a far less realistic assumption. If a phone is held at 12" from the eyes, will the tablet be closer to 14" or 24"?

Besides, as the above post indicates, no one complained when the iPad 2 had an even lower PPI. At the time Apple said that while it wasn't a "retina display," this wasn't needed for the farther viewing distance—and everyone agreed.

mystixa

wingzero2085 wrote:Actually, the Samsung keyboard has a handwriting input mode, so you CAN use the stylus to write emails ;). S-Note also supports handwriting-to-text as well.

As I said.. ocr. But using this to write email is just going to WAY too much work, as not even the best OCR is all that efficient, let alone tablet based.

mystixa

kreinartz83 wrote:://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=remote.touch.samsung&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwicmVtb3RlLnRvdWNoLnNhbXN1bmciXQ..

Yes.. Ive used ours with a Toshiba Tv, a Technics Stereo, and other Sony gear as well. The Peel profiles are limited in number so its nowhere near a logitech one remote or anything like that. If you want that I believe touchsquid or its like is necessary, but thats quite an investment.

ILGal

I handwrite emails all the time. No extra work at all - just pick up the pen and write.

mystixa wrote:As I said.. ocr. But using this to write email is just going to WAY too much work, as not even the best OCR is all that efficient, let alone tablet based.

mystixa

Simple solution for all those that want to compare to an apple without buying either one. Go to your local Bestbuy, or other electronics store. Once there, pick them both up and compare directly.

I did this, and found the display was nowhere near worth the price difference. The other features that the note have like the stylus put it in a class above the Ipad.

This kind of thing is a love/hate fanboy bait argument that isn't going to get you any more worthwhile information other then a restatement of the numbers.

If your 1 deciding factor is display density, then you may want to go Ipad. I would still compare the 2 side by side to make sure that fetish is really something you can see in the real world and at that point its worth all that cash.

ILGal

Warranty: squaretrade.com

You might enjoy this YouTube channel. The young lady shows many examples of how she uses her Note to support her schoolwork.

Using the Note for schoolwork

theatomizer90 wrote:i took the plunge. I am excited to use this for school work. Also, where can i get an "accident warranty"

thndrchld

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thndrchld

DAMMIITTT!!! I was planning to buy this exact model when I get paid the day after tomorrow. Here it is for $100 less for the 32 than I'll have to pay for the 16 in two days.

Damn you Woot! How you mock me!

ILGal

Just another video to get you drooling over this awesome device...

Using S Note

jayjay72

ILGal wrote:Just another video to get you drooling over this awesome device...

Using S Note

Are there any good videos of what you can do after the JB update? I love being able to multiwindow most of my applications now.

If you didn't know you can dock side by side or float numerous apps at once. This is probably one of the best features about it.. and of course the SPen.

wingzero2085

ILGal wrote:Just another video to get you drooling over this awesome device...

Using S Note

Thanks for posting that. There are some great turorials out there for using the new Premium Suite features in the 4.1.2 OS update for the Note 10.1, and truly, to find all of the features in it, you need the tutorials! There are some nice features in the new suite like:

- the s-pen on hover can show email attachment previews (it also can be used in pretty much any browser to access web pages on-hover effects (like on-hover drop-down menus!)

- allows you to select text by underlining it with the s-pen

- press the button on the pen to "cut out" anything anywhere on the screen and dump it to the clipboard and to any app you wish (like S-Note or Photoshop)

- the ability to run apps side by side or in cascading style windows (this is a feature I think android as a whole needs to adopt!)

There's lots more, but this tab is insanely useful to say the least. Battery life is superb for me. Speaker sound quality is also excellent, as is the general sound output to headphones or bluetooth devices, too (I routinely use mine with a bluetooth speaker).

Someone asked for a comparison to the TF300? There is none, really. The TF300 is a different beast with its keyboard dock and no stylus. It is the stylus that sets the Note 10.1 apart from other android tabs, including it's Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 brother. I will refrain from commenting directly on the Asus units, as they left a sour taste in my mouth after my bad experience with the android 4.0.3 update to the TF101 ;). I will say this, though, if you want a really nice keyboard dock for your android tablet, but not the s-pen features, maybe you'd consider the TF300, but the Note 10.1 is filled with more premium components than the TF300, so you're definitely getting what you pay for.

majestick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages majestick

Not a very good price if you ask me. $299 tops... this is retail price for a refurb unit.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
majestick wrote:Not a very good price if you ask me. $299 tops... this is retail price for a refurb unit.

Really?
Hmm

Links please?

move along