WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Laptops for your Lap

We know tablets are the rage these days, but imagine how your lap feels. Back when you had a laptop, you had finally given your lap something to do. No longer did it feel like a burden when you were watching TV or lying in bed. Suddenly, it had a purpose. It played a role. It had a job. Put your lap to work! Get a laptop.

Quality Posts

• (7:53 AM, 2/5/2013) rrpwiii has a few things you should keep in mind.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
ROGETRAY wrote:I've never understood the difference between laptops and netbooks. Is it basically the amount of power and different specifications?

I thought netbooks came with more lolcats inside!

I'm just hanging out, really.

dreconus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dreconus
inkycatz wrote:I thought netbooks came with more lolcats inside!

might as well.

as to the Quote, a Netbook is meant for the portability, small space and decent battery life.

A laptop is bulky, more powerful and definitely has a price to match.

A Notebook is a mix between the two. Smaller form with decent power. Although the price does not reflect that of a netbook.

chartles

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chartles

I have MS office on a laptop that has a dying monitor. if I buy one of these refurbed ones, can I transfer the license to the new machine?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

chartles wrote:I have MS office on a laptop that has a dying monitor. if I buy one of these refurbed ones, can I transfer the license to the new machine?

If you have your registration key, you should be fine. You can call Microsoft if it chokes.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

captainwtf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages captainwtf

Netbooks are just smaller and more portable essentially.
can be great for people like network technicians who do alot of command line related things or just simple web browsing/word processing. is all they're good for really

Meant to be low power consumption etc.

Laptops are for more aggressive application.

blaineg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages blaineg
I thought netbooks came with more lolcats inside!

True, but they also come with less horsepower inside. One of the main requirements to be called a Netbook is low power consumption. That directly leads to two huge limitations with netbooks: tiny screens and gutless CPUs.

The original Netbooks had Intel Atom CPUs which have WAY less computing horsepower than a typical desktop or laptop CPU (i3, i5, i7, or even the older Core 2 or AMD stuff). Later netbooks bent the spec some and used slightly more powerful CPUs.

But the bottom line is with a Netbook you can count on a gutless CPU, and a tiny, low resolution screen, and probably no optical drive.

If you want to surf the net (Netbook) or run Word they're fine. If you plan to do anything more taxing, get a better computer.

As far as the difference between a laptop and a notebook, there is none. It's the difference between a car and an automobile. :-) It seems like the notebook term crept in when laptops started cooking laps, so the manufacturer's lawyers made them come up with a different word.

I prefer "laptop" since you can't confuse it with anything else. Does "notebook" refer to a computer, or this bound stack of blank pages sitting here?

rrpwiii

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rrpwiii

I purchased an EliteBook here earlier this month and have had few complaints.

Worth mentioning is that the one year warranty on mine, according to HP, started in August 2012 (when the machine was originally purchased) not January 2013 when I bought it. After 3 weeks of phone calls and emails I was able to get the warranty reset to reflect when I bought it. So keep your order conformation email, you might actually need it.

Other than that (and the derpy track pad) I have been satisfied with my computer machine.

chin78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chin78

I needed a new Dell (have a e1705 on its way out) so I grabbed the 17" one here. Just thought I'd share.

dman928

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dman928
chin78 wrote:I needed a new Dell (have a e1705 on its way out) so I grabbed the 17" one here. Just thought I'd share.

After hounding me daily for my opinion....

mikebwca

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikebwca

Careful. Used/Refurbished laptops are notorious for weak/dying batteries.

I bought 2 Refurbished laptops. They work great... all except for the batteries which have a charge time of about 20 minutes.

You can't refurbish a battery without replacing it. You don't really expect them to put in new batteries, do you?

soshshops

quality posts: 2 Private Messages soshshops

Why the lack of comments on these laptops? Today's Asus Woot has nearly 40 comments. I am interested in a couple of these laptops, but am definitely not a spec guy. I've searched the web for reviews, but have had little luck.

Zavelin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zavelin

My gut reaction was "OOH! OOH! 17" MacBook Pro! MINE MINE MINE!".

When I was staring at the big "Place My Order" button, I realized "Wait, since when have I EVER been able to get my first choice of a laptop on Woot sales before they're sold out? And a big ol' MacBook Pro to boot? Hmm."

So I popped in the model number and did some searching. This is the 2010 model, which DOES NOT have the the Thunderbolt port. The Thunderbolt port is a pretty cool hi-speed adaptable port that can also be turned into an an Ethernet port or a FireWire port. You can see from the Thunderbolt info link below that the only 17" MBPs with Thunderbolt are the ones made Early 2011 and onward.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5299

But being super honest with myself, that really isn't a huge deal for me. I don't use either of such ports anyway.

However, I was also a bit put off in that I found MacBook Pro refurbs at comparable price point that had an additional 4GB of RAM and an Intel i7 processor, a boost from the i5 that comes on this model.

While I found better refurbished models at a similar price, none of them had the one year manufacturer warranty with Apple that is offered on Woot. That is a huge selling point in my book, as I've been screwed over by enough "90 Day Refurb Warranties" to value longer terms of support. SquareTrade warranties are also pretty high-priced for Macs in this price range, running from $150-$300.

I think I'll wait for Thunderbolt 17" Macs to come down the pipeline before pulling the trigger.

Xiola

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Xiola

Also an important difference is that netbooks typically do not have optical drives, so no DVD/CD drive. Only a couple of USB ports. That's how they can be so small. So I disagree that there is no difference. If someone says, "I'm bringing my netbook" I don't expect to be able to watch a DVD on their machine, and I don't expect it to be capable of running Star Wars TOR. Whereas if they say, "I'm bringing my laptop, either of those things would be possible. The DVD would be a given.

Netbook implies a SMALL, light, optical drive-less variant of laptop with a tiny keyboard that will probably piss me off unless it's my awesome ASUS one which has a 98% standard size keyboard and which is awesome. So, all Netbooks are laptops but not all laptops are Netbooks.

~X

stinhoutx

quality posts: 11 Private Messages stinhoutx
Zavelin wrote:My gut reaction was "OOH! OOH! 17" MacBook Pro! MINE MINE MINE!".

When I was staring at the big "Place My Order" button, I realized "Wait, since when have I EVER been able to get my first choice of a laptop on Woot sales before they're sold out? And a big ol' MacBook Pro to boot? Hmm."

So I popped in the model number and did some searching. This is the 2010 model, which DOES NOT have the the Thunderbolt port. The Thunderbolt port is a pretty cool hi-speed adaptable port that can also be turned into an an Ethernet port or a FireWire port. You can see from the Thunderbolt info link below that the only 17" MBPs with Thunderbolt are the ones made Early 2011 and onward.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5299

But being super honest with myself, that really isn't a huge deal for me. I don't use either of such ports anyway.

However, I was also a bit put off in that I found MacBook Pro refurbs at comparable price point that had an additional 4GB of RAM and an Intel i7 processor, a boost from the i5 that comes on this model.

While I found better refurbished models at a similar price, none of them had the one year manufacturer warranty with Apple that is offered on Woot. That is a huge selling point in my book, as I've been screwed over by enough "90 Day Refurb Warranties" to value longer terms of support. SquareTrade warranties are also pretty high-priced for Macs in this price range, running from $150-$300.

I think I'll wait for Thunderbolt 17" Macs to come down the pipeline before pulling the trigger.

If you trust MacMall, they have a special on a latest model 17" for $2199. Apple refurbs on the eBay store are about $1900.

Zavelin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zavelin
stinhoutx wrote:If you trust MacMall, they have a special on a latest model 17" for $2199. Apple refurbs on the eBay store are about $1900.

Thanks for the look. I think I'll hold off until 2011 17" refurbs become dated enough in specs to where sellers start letting them go for $1600 or less. My ASUS G73 laptop still runs like a champ, but I'd like to have a tablet (check), PC for gaming (in progress), and MacBook Pro for business (in progress).

bird2473

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bird2473
rrpwiii wrote:I purchased an EliteBook here earlier this month and have had few complaints.

Worth mentioning is that the one year warranty on mine, according to HP, started in August 2012 (when the machine was originally purchased) not January 2013 when I bought it. After 3 weeks of phone calls and emails I was able to get the warranty reset to reflect when I bought it. So keep your order conformation email, you might actually need it.

Other than that (and the derpy track pad) I have been satisfied with my computer machine.

I agree about the trackpad issues; that would be only complaint so far. And since I use a wireless mouse most times its not too big a deal.

As for the warranty, I had the same issue. When I registered the product/warranty with HP it reflected a date back in Sep 2012. The HP customer support rep said it would be fine as long as I had my proof of purchase. I'm just curious as to who you contacted exactly and what you had to say to get the warranty to reflect the new purchase date? Thanks!

rrpwiii

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rrpwiii
bird2473 wrote:I agree about the trackpad issues; that would be only complaint so far. And since I use a wireless mouse most times its not too big a deal.

As for the warranty, I had the same issue. When I registered the product/warranty with HP it reflected a date back in Sep 2012. The HP customer support rep said it would be fine as long as I had my proof of purchase. I'm just curious as to who you contacted exactly and what you had to say to get the warranty to reflect the new purchase date? Thanks!

I started with the Elite support center (866.625.1175). They are quick, helpful, domestic and not in charge of warranty things. From there I moved on to Fixed Care Pack (srg@hp.com 800.407.6210) who are less quick, less helpful, less domestic but in charge of warranty things. After a phone call I emailed them a pdf of my Woot conformation email and waited. after not hearing back in the three day turn around period (or four days after it) I called again and went through the same thing with srg.escalations@hp.com and a few days later they figured it out. As for what I said? I just asked if they could make my warranty reflect when I purchased my machine and that seemed to work.

I recommend having a good piece of time to wait on the phone...and a good ale to make waiting on the phone more enjoyable.