WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

SEI Fireplaces

I'm allergic to reindeer, so I wanted my house to be entirely Santa-proof. To do this, I made sure we had no chimney, but this became an issue in the winter time because it meant we couldn't have a fireplace. However, thanks to SEI, we now have this lovely fireplace, and our roof can stay free of both reindeer and Santa Claus!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Now you can have that bathroom fireplace you've always wanted.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Can I roast marshmallows with these?

I'm just hanging out, really.

tsukitensh

quality posts: 23 Private Messages tsukitensh
inkycatz wrote:Can I roast marshmallows with these?

If there is fire, you can roast marshmallows :3

(You can even do it without fire if there is enough heat, like a stove burner).

ginawoot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages ginawoot

Meijer has the bookcase one for $30 less.

ivanivanovich

quality posts: 24 Private Messages ivanivanovich

The Kingsbury has eyes. And a broad, flat nose and a gaping mouth with fire inside ... run for your lives!

Ditto for Kingsbury's mate, the Narita ... which is squinting and wearing cross-hatched earrings.

Know why they're so fierce? They have heartburn you can see!

superclean

quality posts: 1 Private Messages superclean

What is the cost of this gel stuff? Where do you buy it?

ToejamFootball

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ToejamFootball

Are you SURE you can cook food over this fire? I would be concerned about the toxins from the gel cans??

ToeJamFootball

sofiacowan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sofiacowan

Should we be worried about the heat from the fireplace effecting the TV???

(<----I resent that picture, Woot)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ginawoot wrote:Meijer has the bookcase one for $30 less.

Not in the color we're selling. It's $552.49 there.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

celeste91784

quality posts: 8 Private Messages celeste91784

I'm in so. CA, and I don't want to contibute to the pollutants in the air so I don't use my 2 fireplaces anymore. I bought candelabra similar to the roundish one here to put into the hearths. I use fake candles with flickering flames that are on a timer. So from 6-11pm my candles are lit, and it's incredible how much they warm up my 2 rooms. These candelabra would be great in nonfunctioning and faux fireplaces, too. I love the effect!

loststream

quality posts: 5 Private Messages loststream

I need one that is corner-shaped to place in a corner of a room.

We already have one very similar to the entertainment console-looking one. No worries about it over-heating or getting too hot, as the one we have (and I'm thinking the ones listed here on woot, minus the canned gel one) is electric, so we plug in the wall. The "heat" is only blown out from the small metal vents located on the front face of the faux fireplace unit. Even the metal portion of the vents do not get "hot" to the touch, just warm, even warm enough for our children, aged 9 & 11 to touch to warm their hands. We've had our unit for a little more than a year, and it looks & feels very safe. The fireplace does not emit real fire, rather it's an electronic light fixture that imitates a real fire. But, unless you know this concept, it looks very similar to a "decorative gas appliance" fireplace (which my parents have in their home & which really does get scalding hot to the touch)... So by mere sight, they look the same.

The only criticism we have about ours is that we have our PS3 unit up there and when we are charging our PS3 remote controls, we have to make sure the cords don't dangle in front of those heat vents, otherwise, if the heat vents are turned on, the heat blows right on to the wires, and while for short time period (a couple hours) might not do any immediate damage, I'm thinking that eventually over long periods of time being exposed to the warm heat might warp the wires. So, we make sure to not dangle the wires in front of the vents.

Also, ours came with a small remote control for our unit which allows you to remotely set the faux fireplace light on or off, and the heat on low, medium, or high (but for us, it was useless as we had to hide it for fear our children would mess it up or lose it altogether... so we just press the buttons manually).

In case anyone was wondering how warm these units can warm up a room, let's just say you shouldn't buy them with the primary goal of warming up anything that is not within 6 feet from it (& I'm being generous with this distance), because the vents are small. So, if you have a very small enclosed room, say 100 square feet, then these types of units will "somewhat" warm up the room. OTHERWISE, the main purpose of these units is to have a piece of furniture that can hold your entertainment consoles (tv, video game units, TiVo, receivers, books, etc...) AND to have a piece of furniture that "looks like" a fireplace unit. When it is turned on, it looks great, and we've gotten many compliments on it, BUT when it's off (such as during the summer when it gets to 120 degrees out here in Las Vegas), then it isn't very noticeable, nor remarkable. But, we love ours nevertheless!

honeybadger12

quality posts: 7 Private Messages honeybadger12
celeste91784 wrote:I use fake candles with flickering flames that are on a timer. So from 6-11pm my candles are lit, and it's incredible how much they warm up my 2 rooms.

Wait, what?

ciabelle

quality posts: 16 Private Messages ciabelle
superclean wrote:What is the cost of this gel stuff? Where do you buy it?

Google is your friend here. Best deal I came up with was $80 shipped for 24 cans which works out to 3 cans for $10. You can find these at Home Depot and Walmart, expect to pay about $4-5 per can.

Reading reviews, they get mostly 3-4 stars. Chief pro is the popping and crackling which resembles a wood fire. Biggest con is the expense. Manufacturer rates each can to last about 3 hours. People have reported getting as little as 1.5 hours with unspent fuel which would not relight to as much as 4 hours per can. YMMV. So you can see how pricy this could be to use on a regular basis.

Some people claimed these produce a very bad odor causing headaches and breathing difficulties when lit, others report no issues at all. Again, YMMV. Most people stay they give off a little heat, but forget about trying to use this for heating in any space larger than a walk-in closet.

Given these factors, I personally would pass on the gel fuel varieties and either go with an electric model or set up some wall sconces and candelabras for a lot less expense, no unpleasant odors, and a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and colors to work with.

celeste91784

quality posts: 8 Private Messages celeste91784
honeybadger12 wrote:Wait, what?

I meant that they warm up the ambiance of the rooms, not the temperature. They make the rooms more welcoming, even romantic.

ginawoot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages ginawoot
ThunderThighs wrote:Not in the color we're selling.

No pine, just mahogany, espresso and ivory - all very popular decor colors. Maybe pine is making a big comeback though, and is worth the extra thirty bucks, I dunno. http://www.meijer.com/s/southern-enterprises-tennyson-electric-fireplace-w-bookcases/_/R-167309