cschneider

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cschneider

These things beat the pants off of plastic tupperware. This may not be the kind of thing most wooters are interested in, but if you use plastic tupperware, I definitely recommend giving glass Pyrex a shot. Very durable, much easier to clean, it's great.

nutrageous

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nutrageous

Oh, woot! Where are the days of Big Bertha golf putters? Have we degenerated to Sears and Kmart?

krhudsn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages krhudsn
dcobranchi wrote:Snopes would seem to support the OP's claims. Soda lime glass is, indeed, more susceptible to breakage than borosilicate glass. The soda lime glass has a much higher coefficient of thermal expansion than the more expensive borosilicate glass. When subjected to a rapid change in temperature, the soda lime experiences significant internal stresses and can sometimes violently shatter. The borosilicate glass, since it doesn't not change in size as much due to its smaller thermal expansion, does not suffer the same stresses. There is a way to tell the difference between the two glasses. Soda lime has a distinctly greenish cast. Borosilicate is much closer to white. Of course, that's not exactly a helpful test for online purchases.

It's freaking glassware for storing leftovers, you aren't flying it to the moon.

ugomona

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ugomona
krhudsn wrote:It's freaking glassware for storing leftovers, you aren't flying it to the moon.

Ha ha! I laughed so hard I nearly choked on the Candy Basket caramels I just received from woot!

I have 60 year old Pyrex and the 20 whatever year Pyrex and the "new" stuff too. It all rocks. Just be careful with it. My newer bowls have been happily nesting without a chip, same as my 60 year old bowls. Just be careful not to knock 'em around when removing from the cabinet and make sure they aren't hitting anything if you put them in the dishwasher.

Anywho, does anyone know if the lid from the large bowl will fit the pie plate? Thanks.

molecularchristine

quality posts: 8 Private Messages molecularchristine

I am so tempted to buy this, but I don't know if my small kitchen will allow for yet another Pyrex set.

So. Tempted.

ugomona

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ugomona
molecularchristine wrote:I am so tempted to buy this, but I don't know if my small kitchen will allow for yet another Pyrex set.

So. Tempted.

I know it. I'm definitely Pyrex-rich. I chucked all the lock & lock (or whatever it's called) after locks on the sides of the lids broke off. I just bought this. I couldn't help myself: 20 bucks and free shipping thanks to a slew of Thomas I bought, so I figured what the hey. Like you, I have no idea where I'm gonna put it. Time to add more cabinets.

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl
mrsly69 wrote:
Germany -- OK, they have a stellar reputation. I will give you that one.

Don't let Germany off so easily. I thought I couldn't go wrong buying a European car--especially one built by a consortium of German and Italian auto makers. I barely drove it off the lot before I had to take it back to the shop. Since then, it's been in their garage more than it's been in mine.

What a headache! I'll never buy from Pisso/Schidt again!

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

The pyrex pie plate is the best choice for baking pie. They go for about $6 alone, so it's a good deal to get one in a set.

Here's a quick America's Test Kitchen video on why to choose a pyrex pie plate:

------------------
I Bet on Sky