WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Charge Everything with K3

If you're in the vise-grip of the device vice, our advice is to equip yourselves at all times with one or more of these versatile K3 chargers. All it takes is a couple of inattentive days to turn your powerful smartphone into a very expensive pocket square.
K3 official site

Quality Posts

rickbaron

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rickbaron

Oh Woot! How will Unu feel? Where is the humanity!

tc1uscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg

Sorry I don't have anything "funny" to say or that i'm unable to post anything that has nothing to do with this device but why in the he11 do you show it charging an iphone 5 and it doesn't come with the adapter to do so? I'll buy more powerfull devices at half the price if I still have to use my OEM cable. Thumbs down!

TC1 USCG Ret

jflanag3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jflanag3

At first I was like, "Oh man! I literally just bought one of these YESTERDAY from Amazon!". And then I was like, "Oh, but I got 2.5x the storage for the same price".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0098EO61S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

tc1uscg wrote:Sorry I don't have anything "funny" to say or that i'm unable to post anything that has nothing to do with this device but why in the he11 do you show it charging an iphone 5 and it doesn't come with the adapter to do so? I'll buy more powerfull devices at half the price if I still have to use my OEM cable. Thumbs down!

Checked with the team. That's actually vendor art. Most of the photos on K3's site show the iPhone 5.

You can use your Lightning cable to charge from the USB port.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

thek3company

quality posts: 24 Private Messages thek3company
tc1uscg wrote:Sorry I don't have anything "funny" to say or that i'm unable to post anything that has nothing to do with this device but why in the he11 do you show it charging an iphone 5 and it doesn't come with the adapter to do so? I'll buy more powerfull devices at half the price if I still have to use my OEM cable. Thumbs down!

Thank you for the product feedback. As a quick note here, all of the K3 chargers are USB Universal chargers, thus will charge any product that powers or charges off a USB transfer or charge cable. Whether it is an iphone 5, iphone 4, garmin gps, camera, portable speaker, bluetooth or samsung mobile phone etc., the K3 portable USB charger will suffice. The main question here is what type of power you are looking for. 5V/1A for majority of smartphones or 5V/2.1 A for most tablets. Secondly, you look at the output level. Many on the market power at 500 or 800 milliamps as a computer USB, some power as 5v/1A such as a wall adapter. With the Due' 6600 mAh you get it all. Not only a 5V/1A charge for your smartphone, but also a 5V/2.1 A to charge for your tablet. The 6 connectors included in the package offered cover the majority of products on the market today. At the same time, a value-add to offer flexibility to those with a number of devices. By no means, to cover every USB device on the market. Most customers will utilize their product cord supplied with their individual phone. As we move ahead, the iphone 5 will garner enough volume to meet and exceed and then replace those included today. Likewise, with any usb powered device to hit the market. We are here to provide the solution and to "connect and protect" your products. Please let me know if you have any additional technology or product related questions. Again, appreciate the inquiry and recommendations as we move ahead!

scrapironchef

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scrapironchef

[quote postid="5342122" user="thek3company"] 5V/1A for majority of smartphones or 5V/2.1 A for most tablets. Secondly, you look at the output level. Many on the market power at 500 or 800 milliamps as a computer USB, some power as 5v/1A such as a wall adapter. With the Due' 6600 mAh you get it all. Not only a 5V/1A charge for your smartphone, but also a 5V/2.1 A to charge for your tablet.

Do the charging plugs short pins D- and D+ to signal the higher amperage available (ie USB DCP standard)?

misterh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages misterh

How are the rechargeable lithium batteries recharged?

Does recharging the lithium batteries require another device?

thek3company

misterh wrote:How are the rechargeable lithium batteries recharged?

Thank you for the product inquiry. Any and all of the K3 chargers are rechargable utilizing the micro end of USB cable. i.e.-plug the micro end of cable into K3 charger unit and the USB end of cable into either your USB outlet on your computer or even your wall adpater with usb outlet. Dependent on the K3 product, the light will alert you when product is fully charged. You then can utlize to charge any of your USB electronic devices. Power up on the go! On the boat, in the golf cart, camping or on the bike! Whenever and wherever. Don't leave home without it!

thek3company

misterh wrote:How are the rechargeable lithium batteries recharged?

By the way, the transfer/charge cable is included along with 6 different product connectors as a value add. Flexible fit for those utilizing various products while on the go!

thek3company

scrapironchef wrote:[quote postid="5342122" user="thek3company"] 5V/1A for majority of smartphones or 5V/2.1 A for most tablets. Secondly, you look at the output level. Many on the market power at 500 or 800 milliamps as a computer USB, some power as 5v/1A such as a wall adapter. With the Due' 6600 mAh you get it all. Not only a 5V/1A charge for your smartphone, but also a 5V/2.1 A to charge for your tablet.

Do the charging plugs short pins D- and D+ to signal the higher amperage available (ie USB DCP standard)?

Thank you for your product inquiry. All K3 products meet USB DCP standard (chargers output power falls in the DCP required operating range). And,also compliant with USB-IF specification(s). Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Thank You

magex314

quality posts: 0 Private Messages magex314

The product picture is VERY MISLEADING, dishonest in fact. None of the connectors in fact work with the iphone 5, even though the charger is pictured with an iPhone 5 (8 pin). Look at the product site.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

magex314 wrote:The product picture is VERY MISLEADING, dishonest in fact. None of the connectors in fact work with the iphone 5, even though the charger is pictured with an iPhone 5 (8 pin). Look at the product site.

As posted earlier:

ThunderThighs wrote:Checked with the team. That's actually vendor art. Most of the photos on K3's site show the iPhone 5.

scrapironchef

thek3company wrote:Thank you for your product inquiry. All K3 products meet USB DCP standard (chargers output power falls in the DCP required operating range). And,also compliant with USB-IF specification(s). Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Thank You

I understand that they output in the higher charging current but do the charging plugs short pins D- and D+ to signal the higher amperage available?

tc1uscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg
ThunderThighs wrote:Checked with the team. That's actually vendor art. Most of the photos on K3's site show the iPhone 5.

That's my point. The iPhone 5 cable is "delicate" enough without having to drag it around everywhere you go. I’ve replaced 2 so far on my 19 year olds. I had one of the orig cables but have noticed replacement nr 3 seems a little more heavy duty. My point is, if the vendor is going to use the iPhone 5 as a selling point, then include the darn adapter too. Just sayin. If you got to use "art" to sell your product, then show it charging some other type of proprietary product, like a video camera or just a regular digital camera (for example). Just to be clear where I'm coming from, not everyone owns a iphone much less a iphone 5 and to market your product in that way is IMO as a consumer, is going to make me pass it up thinking it’s mostly for the iPhone5. I have a few of these type devices of various sizes. Even some are solar chargeable. Every one came with adapters that fit my phone (including the iPod touch)and most of them use the same type cable so I didn't have to worry about loosing anything. I didn’t have to buy extra cables to store with said device. So, if you gotta use art to sell your product, I suggest using something other than a Apple product that is ONLY chargeable when you shell out another 20+bucks for more hardware to use it. That’s my point.

TC1 USCG Ret

thek3company

tc1uscg wrote:That's my point. The iPhone 5 cable is "delicate" enough without having to drag it around everywhere you go. My 19 year old has gone through 2 cables (orig style but the 2nd gen cable is better). If it's going to use the iPhone 5 as a selling point, then include the darn adapter too. Just sayin. If you got to use "art" to sell your product, then show it charging some other type of proprietary product, like a video camera or just a regular digital camera (for example). Just to be clear where I'm coming from, not everyone owns a iphone much less a iphone 5 and to market your product in that way is way behind the curve. Like I said, if I have to use my cable, I'd be looking at a very large market of these kind of products.

Thank you. We appreciate the product feedback.

thek3company

scrapironchef wrote:I understand that they output in the higher charging current but do the charging plugs short pins D- and D+ to signal the higher amperage available?

Thank you for the clarification. Yes, I believe the majority of portable USB chargers(designated charging ports) today short D- and D+ due to the variable products and power required unless a specific application is requested. Do you have a specific application? If so,I will check with our engineering team for details. Thank You.

shortbus2

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shortbus2
magex314 wrote:The product picture is VERY MISLEADING, dishonest in fact. None of the connectors in fact work with the iphone 5, even though the charger is pictured with an iPhone 5 (8 pin). Look at the product site.

I completely disagree. If you look at the photo, it is very clear that is not the cable shown in the other photos. Maybe they should have used an iPhone5, but they for sure wanted to include it as a device that can be charged by the device using the Apple provided cable which is what is shown in the photo.

thetully04

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thetully04
thek3company wrote:Thank you for the clarification. Yes, I believe the majority of portable USB chargers(designated charging ports) today short D- and D+ due to the variable products and power required unless a specific application is requested. Do you have a specific application? If so,I will check with our engineering team for details. Thank You.

Thanks for coming here and answering our questions, it's pretty cool. I can't speak for his application, but I have a similar concern. My phone is the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Depending on the charging cable, it will charge at two speeds: a very slow trickle charge for a standard cable, and much faster if the cable has those pins shorted. I have yet to find a USB car adapter that has those pins shorted, for example. My iGo charger I got from Woot does have them shorted. Also, a no name battery I got from Meijer that has a cable very similar to the k3 has the pins shorted.

thetully04

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thetully04

I just checked the specs again, it says it comes with a "charge and transfer cable." This means the pins are likely not shorted (shorted pins=charge only). Hopefully the adapter cable has them shorted, though.

scrapironchef

thek3company wrote:Thank you for the clarification. Yes, I believe the majority of portable USB chargers(designated charging ports) today short D- and D+ due to the variable products and power required unless a specific application is requested. Do you have a specific application? If so,I will check with our engineering team for details. Thank You.

I manage a variety of Samsung phones and tablets which make use of this and haven't found a battery pack that does, I've built up a number of "charge only" cables that do nothing but confuse the less technical users.

thek3company

scrapironchef wrote:I manage a variety of Samsung phones and tablets which make use of this and haven't found a battery pack that does, I've built up a number of "charge only" cables that do nothing but confuse the less technical users.

Thank you for the technical insight. Please let me know if you have any additional technical questions as I will pass along to our engineer/tech team later today.

Thank you.

ProjectEva

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ProjectEva

Is it capable of pass through charging or will it not charge other devices if charging itself?

yazdog8

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yazdog8

Are there any reviews on this product anywhere? Looked for some and couldn't find one.

bdskelly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bdskelly

Charge everything? My MacBook Air has something to say about that.... 'Wont work"

thek3company

yazdog8 wrote:Are there any reviews on this product anywhere? Looked for some and couldn't find one.

Thank you for the product inquiry. The demand and success of our 2012 product line was overwhelming, especially within the portable charger and waterproof gear portfolio. A few of the 2012 products within the portable charger category were the powerboost, powerbar and powerock products. You can find a number of reviews with Sam's Club, Wal-Mart, Sears and other National Retail or Mass Merchant accounts. The new 2013 line-up has just recently launched and will hit floor reset(s) soon. Woot is ahead of the curve here in offering their exclusive customer not only a base a sneak peek, but an incredible value as always. Great news to follow. Thank you for your continued support.

thek3company

bdskelly wrote:Charge everything? My MacBook Air has something to say about that.... 'Wont work"

Thank you for your thoughts and feedback. Onward!

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

About how many it es an I expect to recharge an iPhone or iPad before I need to recharge the Powerport Due?

CT | | | | | |

bellehelene

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellehelene

Does it have a micro-USB adaptor? That's my whole life these days ... Kindle, Kindle Fire, LG phone, iPhone battery case ... EVERYTHING.

Bellehelene

thek3company

jwhite6114 wrote:About how many it es an I expect to recharge an iPhone or iPad before I need to recharge the Powerport Due?

Thank you for the product inquiry. This is dependent on your usage on both devices as well as current charge levels. To play this safe, the Due could re-charge an iphone 4 battery anywhere 3-5 times before requiring a re-charge itself. The ipad 2-3 times, again battery dependent. This will vary of course if you have them both plugged in at the same time. ie. Due has dual usb ports. A 5V/1A and a second 5V/2.1 A. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank You

thek3company

bellehelene wrote:Does it have a micro-USB adaptor? That's my whole life these days ... Kindle, Kindle Fire, LG phone, iPhone battery case ... EVERYTHING.

Thank you for the product inquiry. Yes, the product contents include a micro-usb adapter. The micro-usb adapter will be used to re-charge the portable charger. Hope this helps, let me know you have any further questions.

Thank You

evilmicrowizard

quality posts: 7 Private Messages evilmicrowizard
scrapironchef wrote:I manage a variety of Samsung phones and tablets which make use of this and haven't found a battery pack that does, I've built up a number of "charge only" cables that do nothing but confuse the less technical users.

I got a few of these switchable cables a while back and they were worth every penny. Now if I could just figure out exactly where I left them :P

http://shop.brando.com/Brando-WorkShop-USB-to-Micro-USB-Cable_p04161c0012d002.html

EDIT: WAIT WHAT?? DISCONTINUED?? Now I *really* have to find them!

Until then there's this:

http://shop.brando.com/Mini-USB-to-Micro-USB-Adapter-w-ON-OFF-switch_p4160c6d1.html

smithtp55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smithtp55

does this not come with 2 USB adapter cables? it has to usb ports but only 1 cable? am I misreading this?

bellehelene

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellehelene
thek3company wrote:Thank you for the product inquiry. Yes, the product contents include a micro-usb adapter. The micro-usb adapter will be used to re-charge the portable charger. Hope this helps, let me know you have any further questions.

Thank You

Can the micro-USB adaptor be used to power my many devices? If not, this is probably more annoying than helpful.

Bellehelene

f00l

quality posts: 1 Private Messages f00l

To those users who mention "charge-only" micro-usb cables and shorted pins: thanks, I didn't know about them.

Is this how the "fast-charger" for the Kindle Fire HD works?

Where does one buy these fast chargers and cables? Are USB ports on laptops wired that way?

Thanks

thek3company

smithtp55 wrote:does this not come with 2 USB adapter cables? it has to usb ports but only 1 cable? am I misreading this?

Thank you for the product inquiry. If needed, you can access the company website @ www.thek3company.com

The products ship with one cable and 6 connectors. With past products, we shipped with only one charging cable. But, with customer feedback, we decided to launch the 2013 product line with one cable and the 6 most pospular connectors. This allows the user to use the micro usb connector to charge the unit or vice versa to charge a product that needs a micro usb to charge. USB on one end, then you can use any of the connectors your would like. Or, none at all as you can use the charging cable that is provided with your device. End of day, the connectors are a value add to the product contents. No cost to the consumer, but rather a value for those who utilize multiple products. I hope that helps. Thank You

thek3company

bellehelene wrote:Can the micro-USB adaptor be used to power my many devices? If not, this is probably more annoying than helpful.

Thank you for the product inquiry. Yes, you can use the micro usb to both charge the portable charger as well as charge your usb micro devices. See previous thread as well for details. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thank You

jmchargue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmchargue

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus 10.1 tablet. They have used a charging/data port that is similar to the iphone in appearance. Is there an adapter that will fit this or am I like the Iphone 5 users and will need to supply my own cable?
Also, is there a bag supplied to keep track of the various connectors? This is a must have on a product like this.

jmchargue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmchargue
jmchargue wrote:I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus 10.1 tablet. They have used a charging/data port that is similar to the iphone in appearance. Is there an adapter that will fit this or am I like the Iphone 5 users and will need to supply my own cable?
Also, is there a bag supplied to keep track of the various connectors? This is a must have on a product like this.

CORRETION I meant to say Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet not Nexus.

scrapironchef

evilmicrowizard wrote:I got a few of these switchable cables a while back and they were worth every penny. Now if I could just figure out exactly where I left them :P

http://shop.brando.com/Brando-WorkShop-USB-to-Micro-USB-Cable_p04161c0012d002.html

EDIT: WAIT WHAT?? DISCONTINUED?? Now I *really* have to find them!

Until then there's this:

http://shop.brando.com/Mini-USB-to-Micro-USB-Adapter-w-ON-OFF-switch_p4160c6d1.html

Why this couldn't be micro to micro is beyond me, you have to provision a different cable to use this. If the user loses the adapter they have to find their original micro cable. So close...