jlehnerz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlehnerz
alsayr wrote:This would be fantastic for testing vmware virtualiation right? I'm seeing a portable VMware training lab here. Has anyone run virtual ESXI on one of these?

That's exactly why I purchased. It'll make a handy "little" VM server.

Lassik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Lassik

Can this thing handle Solitaire? I don't want to purchase another machine just to find out that I can't play Solitaire on it again...

They say I have Attention Deficit Disorder but i don't th.... Ohh look a kitty!

faaaaq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages faaaaq
BIGsinner wrote:And for you gamers out there, You can play Dead Space 3 on low settings and achieve 60 FPS. (33 FPS on med settings)

I should hope so lol. My DC2 TOP 580 runs DS3 at consistently over 200fps completely maxed out and sometimes over 300. On lower settings my cellphone should be able to run it :P

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
PemberDucky wrote:
let's try to keep the discussion on-topic, plz... this thread is for discussing the HP ENVY 17.3" quad-core i7 laptop!

So, any confirmation from Woot! that this has a backlit keyboard?

dills2214

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dills2214
kmartind wrote:So, any confirmation from Woot! that this has a backlit keyboard?

I would really like to know this too. It's probably the difference between me ordering or not.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 169 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

dills2214 wrote:I would really like to know this too. It's probably the difference between me ordering or not.

kmartind wrote:So, any confirmation from Woot! that this has a backlit keyboard?

According to staff that replied back to us;
"HP does not list a backlit keyboard, usually when their keyboards feature backlighting they include it on their specifications page."

therefore, we cannot affirm at this time that today's Woot offering will feature a backlit keyboard

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
ROGETRAY wrote:According to staff that replied back to us;
"HP does not list a backlit keyboard, usually when their keyboards feature backlighting they include it on their specifications page."

Good to at least have a statement. The above hasn't really held true from what I've seen on Woot! though. For example the exact same situation came up with this previous Woot! where we also had reason to believe the keyboard was backlit but it wasn't listed in the specs here (and basically the same answer was given). After the sale, customers reported that it did in fact turn out to be backlit as suspected.
http://tech.woot.com/offers/hp-15-6-dual-core-i5-elitebook-2

In any case, a couple of other sellers (including microcenter) do describe their units of Envy DV7-7243CL, part # C2H74UAR#ABA as having a backlit keyboard. I guess maybe it's possible there could be a subtle variation of the same model without it though. I'd probably guess about an 85% chance it's backlit. If not, it looks like a replacement keyboard (part # 698782-001) would probably be around $50-70, plus the hassle of installing it.

jakerson9

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jakerson9
mapperbob wrote:It seems to me that heat would really become an issue ... Does it leave grill marks on your legs after holding it in your lap?

I like to call that "Panini lap".

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver

My previous and two current DV7s do get hot, but those are the 4100 and 4300 series. I had a 4400 that was much better. FWIW, my DV6 which is a VERY similar design Envy is very cool. Then again, it is an quad A10 and not an intel. My 4400 was an i7 though.

One suggestion that I would have is to think about getting the larger battery. As good as they have gotten, the i7 will naturally drawn more than an i5.

Assuming this will be used as a desktop replacement with occasional use off the desk, standard may be ok.

gradillas33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gradillas33

I have an older i7 @2.2ghz and an Intel HD 3000 and I think it runs a lot of games just fine. If you're really thaaat into gaming you should probably build a desktop. for the price of this laptop you could have so much more.

dills2214

kmartind wrote:Good to at least have a statement. The above hasn't really held true from what I've seen on Woot! though. For example the exact same situation came up with this previous Woot! where we also had reason to believe the keyboard was backlit but it wasn't listed in the specs here (and basically the same answer was given). After the sale, customers reported that it did in fact turn out to be backlit as suspected.
http://tech.woot.com/offers/hp-15-6-dual-core-i5-elitebook-2

In any case, a couple of other sellers (including microcenter) do describe their units of Envy DV7-7243CL, part # C2H74UAR#ABA as having a backlit keyboard. I guess maybe it's possible there could be a subtle variation of the same model without it though. I'd probably guess about an 85% chance it's backlit. If not, it looks like a replacement keyboard (part # 698782-001) would probably be around $50-70, plus the hassle of installing it.

I would guess the same. Based on a nicer look at the keyboard on micro center's website, and zooming in on this one, I would be shocked if this didn't have a backlit keyboard. It looks like the on/off for the backlight is F5.

tspiker47

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tspiker47
miniskunk wrote:I own a refurbed Envy 17 3270(next model line up) sharing similar components and specs. The Intel 4000 graphics aren't too bad, but don't expect to get a 3d powerhouse for $700. You have to be realistic. I had to set my 3d games to the ATI Radeon graphic chip on mine to get decent framerates on high settings. It should run DX9 games with ease tho and DX10 on lower settings. For everyday websurfing & 2d applications, I found the Intel graphics is more than adequate in terms of smooth animations, page scrolling, etc. I highly recommend upgrading the hard drive to at least a hybrid(SSD and HD in one). I use a hybrid in mine and startup/shutdown is fast. Programs load quickly too. WIndows 8 can be modified to behave like older versions and bypass the Metro theme with free software like Classic Shell.

were can i buy it ?

dills2214

Just received mine. I can confirm a BACKLIT keyboard! Just as we had thought.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

dills2214 wrote:Just received mine. I can confirm a BACKLIT keyboard! Just as we had thought.

orly.
thanks for letting us know.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

jtayzt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtayzt

bought one... its awesome... shipped/delivered same week.... very happy