Poll: On a scale of 1-5, handshakes should be:
  • 20.5% - Very firm. 5. 478
  • 53.3% - Kinda firm. 4. 1242
  • 22% - An average firmness. 3. 512
  • 1.1% - Loose and not forceful. 2. 25
  • 0.5% - A delicate, weightless touch. 1. 12
  • 2.7% - I don’t shake hands. I’m in the “industry” so I bump elbows. 62
2331 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

mncowboy96

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mncowboy96

I judge people by their handshake. They better give me a solid firm handshake or they are wasting my time.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

Handshakes originated to present swordhand to swordhand without a weapon, to show that men were on the same side and in agreement. A certain firmness was required. Todays handshake is not between warriors, but for business should still be firm. Between a man and a woman or between women, that firmness isn't formally required. And, of course, social handshakes can be anything from fistbumps or high-5s to elaborate choreography.

sparklecoogs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sparklecoogs

My immediate reaction when somebody (always a male) gives me a super-firm handshake is that he is probably a macho jerk who needs to discharge some testosterone and stop trying to prove how manly he is by crushing somebody's hand. It's something he can work on right after he finishes annoying everybody in a parking lot by clogging up a lane while parking his gigantic pickup truck in reverse.

peaston75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peaston75

I read this as "milkshakes", my answer of kinda firm still stands.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
mncowboy96 wrote:I judge people by their handshake. They better give me a solid firm handshake or they are wasting my time.

In my industry a firm handshake indicates a lack of respect. The message is "I will hurt you given the chance." A "light and loose" handshake says, "I'm a professional. I'll do my best to make sure no harm comes to you." This is important in a business where carelessness and aggressive attitudes can get people paralyzed, even killed.

deadeye37

quality posts: 3 Private Messages deadeye37

I absolutely HATE when I shake someone's hand and they give me a dead fish! I don't want to have hand crushing contest, but I like a good, solid handshake. Limp hands are a no go.

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller

I don't generally shake hands with people. Mostly just to see how they react and the look on their face when they stick out their hand and I leave them hanging. It's kinda fun.

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

joeaksa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeaksa
deadeye37 wrote:I absolutely HATE when I shake someone's hand and they give me a dead fish! I don't want to have hand crushing contest, but I like a good, solid handshake. Limp hands are a no go.

Spot on! When someone gives me a "limp fish" handshake am then expecting them to then go hug a tree. You want someone who you can stand side by side and face any challenge, not someone hiding under the desk waiting for help!

mrtbshaw

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrtbshaw

NO. DEAD. FISH. Grip my hand and show me you're a man. Not talking audible bone cracking but give it a good squeeze.

“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

Jimbo6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jimbo6
sparklecoogs wrote:My immediate reaction when somebody (always a male) gives me a super-firm handshake is that he is probably a macho jerk who needs to discharge some testosterone and stop trying to prove how manly he is by crushing somebody's hand. It's something he can work on right after he finishes annoying everybody in a parking lot by clogging up a lane while parking his gigantic pickup truck in reverse.

Yep! If I ever come across a dude with a Kung Fu grip, I tell em' "I see you're not in your usual Green skin today!"

JTS

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

... Obama clearly disagrees with this entire poll, and feels that the Fistbump is superior to your stiff and impersonal handshakes.

ladyloerya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladyloerya

As a female, it's actually fun and interesting when people want to shake my hand. I'm not a tiny thing (in height, build or weight). People are unsure of how to approach a handshake with a woman like me. Sometimes I get a bone crushing handshake as if they are challenging me to a contest to the death. Other times people want to offer a gentle fingertip shake in return to my handshake.

Personally, I'll take a hearty "glad to see ya but I don't have anything to prove to you" handshake!

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

Psycho vise-grip. Just to let the average stranger know that you're dangerous. And crazy.

wearemany

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wearemany
Moueska wrote:

Fistbump

Not only the fistbump the exploding Fistbump

farid550

quality posts: 0 Private Messages farid550

I had a guy give me a a very limp quarter-hand hand shake. It was the most disgusting thing I have ever witnessed. He has now become my arch nemesis. The only thing more disrespectful is when you put out your hand and the handshake nevercomes.

Here is a handshake fail though,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKvLomILvVI