tompa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tompa
azzzy wrote:I too live in Chicago (Buffalo Grove). I have one of these. Sorry to be a buzzkill but it's a piece of crap. We bought this back in 2010 just in time for the storm in January of 2011 when we had 2 feet of snow. It was very frustrating. The main problem is that it's not self propelled and you have to push it while simultaneously squeezing the bar that turns on the auger. After the couple of hours that it took me to clear my driveway my hands were all cramped up and my forearms were sore for the next few days. The electric cord constantly gets in the way. And of course it's very weak. Works OK on under 6" of powdery snow but anything over that or wet snow... forget it. Especially wet snow - what a nightmare. This thing doesn't throw wet snow, it drools it. The only advantage this electric blower has it's that it's light and small enough to be put in the laundry room sink for the snow to melt. In every other aspect it's horrible. Finally after 2 very frustrating winters this year we bought a 2-stage gas blower. Of course we didn't have snow for the first 2 months of winter but the last couple of weeks the 2-stage blower got a workout, including wet snow. What a difference. The conclusion - it's a great idea but the implementation is subpar. It's probably better than a shovel but nowhere near as good as a self-propelled gas blower.

I had a Toro 2-stage gas powered in NH for 18 yrs. Never broke a pin, always bulled its way thru deepest snow. Had it serviced each year, and that was it.

valnar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages valnar
jmackinac wrote:Hope I didn't waste your time, but wanted to fast-forward you to a perspective that you might share in a few years of dragging extension cords around in the snow.

200 feet of cord! I wouldn't want to do that either. I only need 75', so for such a short driveway this sounds ideal. I agree that I wouldn't want electric in my (bigger) back yard on any machines.

ChrisAshton84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChrisAshton84

I have a previous version of the Toro electric snowblower.. it's pretty weak. If you get more then a few inches of snow it gets bogged down, especially if it is wet snow. I'm looking for a good deal on a 2 stage gas blower to deal with the winter here in MN. Until then this stays in the garage and I shovel by hand.

GURABoy wrote:I've seen a lot of snow blowers over the years, but always gas-powered. Anyone have any experience with electric? Decent price, but I have to say I'm skeptical, like I am of electric chainsaws...

• 1 Netgear WPN511 RangeMax 802.11g MIMO Notebook Adapter
  • 3 Random Crap

feliphilia

quality posts: 6 Private Messages feliphilia

Well, it's been interesting to read all the opinions, as well as suggestions on how to best use this. I'm in NH where we just dealt with Nemo [why are they naming snowstorms now??]. I used to like shoveling, but my back, along with the rest of me, is getting old, and it's not fun any more. I need to clear a narrow pathway to the house and enough of the driveway to accommodate one car, and I have an outdoor outlet within 50-75 feet of where I'll be working. I'm taking a chance and in for one.

buffaloed

quality posts: 28 Private Messages buffaloed
jmbunkin wrote:Very tempted to order one of these. I have a 26" 10 HP gas snow blower to do the big stuff but I have a 12' x 16' deck which is 7' above the ground that I have to shovel.This should be perfect for that job.What to do,what to do,I'm thinking this will sell out today so I need to make up my mind soon.

I'd look into power shovels for that kind of job.
eg http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Joe-322P-12-Inch-Electric/dp/B000FAL3RO/

bossdjfargo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bossdjfargo

Wow, this thing would not cut it up in the snowy tundra of Fargo, ND where I live!! This would be best for 2-4 inches at best, with no drifting.

Here's what I have to use to clear our driveway and sidewalks:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-26inch-208cc-dual-stage-snowblower-w-ez/p-07188691000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii
buffaloed wrote:I'd look into power shovels for that kind of job.

Snow Joe Electric Snow Blower for $100 + pickup at Walmart
Walmart offers the Snow Joe Ultra 13.5-Amp Electric Snow Blower, model no. SJ620, for $99.98. Opt for free Site-to-Store pickup to dodge the $29.97 shipping fee. That's tied with our mention from last week as the lowest total price we could find by $10. Sales tax is added where applicable. The blower features pivoting wheels, steel rotor, chute deflector, instant start, scraper, and more

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

Snow melts if you wait long enough.

ChuckSomerville

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChuckSomerville

I bought one of these at Sears last Fall (on sale, but still quite a bit more than this deal) and I have used it a couple times so far (Dayton Ohio).

Does the job, and all the other electric advantages apply... no gas fumes in garage, lightweight, don't worry about getting an aging gas motor to start (in Winter, no less), and so on.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
buffaloed wrote:I'd look into power shovels for that kind of job.

Thanks for the info but I did buy the Toro,hope it does what I want it to.

rpstrong

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rpstrong
orubin wrote:Wow, not many selling in California, Arizona, or Hawaii. Can I use this to blow sand too?

I live in Southern California, and I love my Power Shovel. (I'd be in for one if I didn't have the other). I'm about fifteen miles west of Palm Springs, but at around 5200 feet. More snow is forecast for next week. Remember, in SoCal you can go surfing in the morning and skiing in the afternoon.

rpstrong

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rpstrong
jonni87 wrote:
As a side note I have electric chainsaw and I actually like it. But I only use it for small jobs, plus it is lighter and easier for me to use as a woman.

I tried using one as a woman. I don't want to tell you the results.

bolts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bolts

Was that the last one?

Fountain3586 wrote:It was a very cold, very snowy and very very windy day. University classes were cancelled (which almost never happens) and I was on a rampage. Early that afternoon I had visited a computer lab at the school and shortly after walking outside into the snow, I dropped my cell phone. I didn't realize it until I got to the car. Then a part of me remembered hearing something weird when I had first got outside. I figured it must have been my phone, so I went back. There was 8-12 inches of snow on the ground in some spots and two students were using snow blowers to clean the sidewalks. I searched and searched and then all of a sudden I hear a "what the heck" come from one of those students. The snow blower made a funny noise and my cell phone went flying through the air at exponential speeds. Slamming back into a snow bank, my phone laid there wet, cold, and barely scratched. How did this happen? Why is there not more damage I wondered? Of course I wanted to be able to call my parents and tell them before my phone died that I would not be going home that weekend because the weather was too bad. I couldn't see the number I was dialing and the phone had no picture at all, but it dialed and my mother answered. She said, "Hell"... (and what I figured was supposed to be HELLO) and the phone was dead. I figured, "Hell", what a great description of what my phone just went through...

The end. I have many many more cellular phone stories... many of which are with that same phone.

chubechpmnk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chubechpmnk

Um... I think my snow would throw this blower a curve!!!

noungning

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noungning

Aw, bought this from Amazon for $150, thought it'd be handy during Nemo, but turns out we lost power on the Friday and had to shovel everything manually. I need a generator now so I can use my electric snow blower when we lose power.

vanevenhoven

quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanevenhoven

Hi, I try to get the tension off the plug. You can so this by knotting the connection. I tried to find an easy link, but I suck at that, apparently. If you do a google search for "extension cord knot" it'll pop up as an image. It will ensure that your plug does not disconnect at the machine and it'll stay dry. It won't help from getting unplugged at the outlet, but that's another issue.

In addition to the "it's too small" posts - I'll add that we just picked this up (been on the look out for this size for a while) to match with our 5 horsepower 2 stage self propelled gas thrower. We did fine with the big one and shovels, but this size is great for the 2"-4" snowfalls.

hushpuppy20 wrote:I'm 32 but I have asthma so this little thrower helps out a lot!

I had the problem with the cord coming unplugged on me, getting wet in the snow, and then I'd be afraid to plug it back in. It might not be the safest thing to do but I've started duct taping the cord to the connector.

With these types of throwers the cord is the most annoying part. Just keep it to your left or right, make sure it unwinds right and get a good color like red that will be visible above the snow.

With a little practice you'll be fine. Don't try it out for the first time with all your neighbors out shoveling and watching/judging you if possible!

glyphus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glyphus

Whoa! Nice price -- but a week late for those of us in Nemo land. I have a small driveway & replaced an 8 year old version of this a month ago. It takes work to get through any more than 10" of snow (you take half a mawfull rather than trying to chew the whole thing at once) -- but it ate through a 16X16 driveway w/20" or so of heavy, wet snow. Slowly, patiently. Works fine for your average 5-10" snowfall, as long as you're not trying to clean the Champs-Elysees. Beats shoveling.

Thinkerer

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Thinkerer

Since I live in a small house with lots of exterior outlets I've slowly migrated to electric mowers/trimmers etc. and haven't regretted it a bit.

The one exception is an electric start gas powered 21" single stage Toro snowblower - these things are beasts and are used everywhere - family in Minneapolis area depends on theirs and you see them clearing walks in ski resorts everywhere. I've cleared 4' drifts with mine, even if it takes a bit of time.

The electric from Woot shares parts with Toro's smallest gas single-stage unit and their line is good in general. Used with the proper gauge cord and some proper technique (you have to tip the unit forward so it pulls itself into the snow), it might be OK as several reviews have shown, but you're on the lower edge of the power curve.

dalamar666

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dalamar666

This is bugging me.

What in the name of Big Office Cubicles does this mean?

atoOUbemYDOWELaTOfOWELwr.SE?JIMHHOliw?aCAteNWAcIcoHAorTCHRUNGoIL'H1YILNmY

I have tried woot, moffi, tech, home, sellout, sport, kids, shirt, wine, deals, AHHHHHHH

saidad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages saidad

After watching this You Tube video... I changed my mind about ordering one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6raJMCJnDB0

iguana71

quality posts: 4 Private Messages iguana71
jpsyche wrote:I'm in Northern Illinois, not much farther south than you, and we get lake effect snow on top of the normal snowfall. Now, this year has been pretty light, but we got 22 inches during snowmaggedon, and I (middle-aged woman) had no problem keeping up. It snowed for twenty eight hours, and went out there twice. No problems pushing it at all; the stuff at the foot of the driveway was harder than the rest, but my neighbors struggled with their gas powered models as well, and one whose gas machine never turned over ended up asking to borrow mine when I finished so he could get his car out of his driveway.

Agreed. Funny how the naysayers get owned. It's obvious they've had no experience using this electric but talk a big game trying to discredit them. ROTFLMAO

SalsaShark42

quality posts: 9 Private Messages SalsaShark42
jpsyche wrote:Not true, not true and not true.

Oh so true. Chicago. 'Nuff said. This thing would be eaten alive by a typical Chicago winter. I went single stage with my first one and it was much higher quality than this one--it choked. Went two-stage and never looked back.

And if you think there's anything resembling torque on an electric motor like this, compared to gas, then we can just stop right there.

SalsaShark42

Editing my post here...didn't have anything nice to say about the person who clearly hadn't used a snowblower before...

SalsaShark42

iguana71 wrote:Agreed. Funny how the naysayers get owned. It's obvious they've had no experience using this electric but talk a big game trying to discredit them. ROTFLMAO

Just stating facts. You're getting what you pay for here.

garylehr

quality posts: 5 Private Messages garylehr

I had the previous version of this, model #38025. It is small and not too powerful, it could handle a 2-car driveway and sidewalks with under a a foot of snow if you're patient enough to endure multiple passes and the loose directional chute which was a huge problem with this model. I might have considered this model, but our garage flooded during Sandy and the Toro was no more-o.. I replaced it with this Greenworks unit http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030BG1L8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which was very highly rated on Amazon and on snowblowersdirect.com, and after one use during Nemo, it seems much better suited than the Toro to handle a decent sized storm..and the Greenworks is 2 inches wider than the Toro and has a 4-year warranty (sorry Woot!)

iguana71

quality posts: 4 Private Messages iguana71
SalsaShark42 wrote:Just stating facts. You're getting what you pay for here.

And YOU get to pay EVERY year (not to mention lugging it back and forth to the tune up guy)...

Once again ROTFLMAO!! Just stating facts.

Funny thing is you have no interest or experience with this item but keep coming back to post discrediting remarks. Hmmmm.

dviglino

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dviglino

Darn. I came back at the end here to buy one but the danger of gravel is probably pretty significant... since I have a gravel driveway. Oh well, still got a shovel.

hansolo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hansolo

I have this model and I live in Walworth NY.

For those of you who don't know geography, it is a suburb of Rochester, one of the snowiest cities in the US.

Works fine. But yes if you get a blizzard, you better be out there using it when it gets to be about four inches or so. Not good idea to wait until 24 inches or so and then use it. It will take you a long time to finish the job.

But I've had to clear out the driveway after 18 inches ( I was out of town on vacation). Works fine - just takes longer than the gas powered one.

Key is to get the thick blue extension cord from this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SQF8/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=hi

Works fine. Plus is very low maintenance and Im able to hang the blower up on the wall for summer.

greatwhite35

quality posts: 7 Private Messages greatwhite35
cupofworms wrote:Good luck to anyone who buys this unit.

First off this is a snow thrower, not a snow blower. There is a difference.

I hope you only use it for light, fluffy snow on a sidewalk or back deck. Maybe a light snow on a normal size driveway. And that packed in snow that the plows push to the end of your driveway? You'll burn the motor out trying.

Also, have fun dragging a cord around. I hope it doesn't fall out every 30 seconds for you.

And this entire machine is plastic, its almost a toy.

If you want a REAL snow-blower you should be prepared to spend at least $400-500 on the low end. For $130 you get what you pay for. Cross your fingers.

Obviously worms, you have never owned a Toro 1800 "Snow Blower" lol, bahahahahaha!! Just bought my 2nd 1800 from Home Depot 2 days ago, and my 3rd from this awesome bargain from woot! It's a great machine, don't underestimate it! I have no problem with the electric cord! BTW, I bought the last one here on woot, sold them out ;)

Toothy, The Hamptons (160 woots and 3 Bunch of 60s Cartoons#39;s as of April 1, 2013!!)

gzuckier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gzuckier
GURABoy wrote:I've seen a lot of snow blowers over the years, but always gas-powered. Anyone have any experience with electric? Decent price, but I have to say I'm skeptical, like I am of electric chainsaws...

I've had one for a while; note the part in the specs where it says ideal for 2-6" of snow. More ideal on the 2" end. And more ideal with fluffy snow, not heavy wet snow. As you expect it just doesn't have the muscle for serious work; consider it more of an electric snowshovel, maybe; like Toro markets it's smaller brothers as basically electric brooms. I eventually bit the bullet and bought a gas version.
On the other hand, it does have a few advantages; paradoxically, it's lack of robustness makes it better for mammoth blizzards like the recent one, because you can hoist it up and shave the top off and work down slowly, whereas a serious blower is fated to be on the bottom of that 5 foot drift, and won't fare too well. Of course, the other advantages are obvious; no gas engine maintenance issues, no gasoline to be procured, if it stalls no problems starting it again, in the offseason you can just hang it from a hook on the garage wall. I'd recommend it for light snowfalls, for limited areas like a deck or porch that you wouldn't/couldn't do with a monster machine, and for folks who aren't sufficiently strong enough themselves to wield a big monster.
(I've also got an electric chainsaw, and it's quite good at its job up to maybe 4" diameter.)

L2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L2
jmbunkin wrote:LOL I bet your weenie "uncapable" neighbors think the world of you! You're the badest shoveler in MN and you have the best snow blower money can buy the Ariens Beast! Kind of like John Henry but snow blower vs the shovel and you beat them everytime.Boy oh boy what a yarn... Baaahaaaa !
This lazy "uncapable" guy is in for one for I'm no match for The Magic Shovel

good luck with your mickey mouse snow thrower!

Perception Management.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
L2 wrote:good luck with your mickey mouse snow thrower!

Thanks, I think the Toro will be very helpful in clearing my deck. I look forward to maybe seeing you in the next winter Olympics shoveling competition,stay in shape we're counting on ya.

afxtwin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages afxtwin

bought one for my mom's house[NJ] a few years ago. i was tired of shoveling and sore backs. it works really well once you figure out a pattern for your property and how this handles dry snow and wet snow[each has a different approach]. just got this one because i plan on buying a house this summer. what a steal. thing works great. this video convinced me when i was first contemplating one. they work just as good, if not better than the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eRQp3xN56w

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch

How about that Woot boys and girls,I received mine today!!That is a new record for delivery I didn't even know UPS was working today.Great work Woot.com

jetedel94

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jetedel94

Received mine today in New England! The fastest Woot ship I've ever encountered! Although I only received one of the two ordered. I'm hoping they were shipped separately. Otherwise, that means one was stolen from the driveway! Tracking info is not helpful, no comment as to how many packages were delivered.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 169 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

jetedel94 wrote:Received mine today in New England! The fastest Woot ship I've ever encountered! Although I only received one of the two ordered. I'm hoping they were shipped separately. Otherwise, that means one was stolen from the driveway! Tracking info is not helpful, no comment as to how many packages were delivered.

Sorry to hear that you might be possibly missing your second order. If you're concerned about receiving it, please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they can help you track it.

mevaniak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mevaniak

I ordered it Friday, it arrived on my doorstep on Wednesday, and it snowed like the bejesus on Thursday. Thanks for the prompt deliverey!!! Worked like a charm getting 12-15" of snow out of my drive.

yatzr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yatzr

I got mine yesterday just before Winter Storm Q hit. I was honestly surprised how well this thing worked. The deepest I had to deal with was about 10 inches, but this handled it just fine. Sure, it was a little harder to push through 10 inches than through 4 inches, but I still had no problems.

I had seen some comments (can't remember if here or if on amazon) about problems with the extension cord coming unplugged from the blower. These people obviously didn't read the owner's manual. There's a hook on the handle that you jam your extension cord into specifically so that it doesn't come unplugged. I accidentally stepped on the extension cord a few times and it never came unplugged.

sluggomagoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sluggomagoo

One year to the day the motor won't spin anymore. I've used the unit less than a dozen times. I contacted Toro because there's supposed to be a two year warranty on it. I filled out the form on-line and I got an email back within a 1/2 hour stating: Thank you for contacting Toro Customer Care. We are working on providing you with an answer to your email. Due to high seasonal volumes, it may take up to two business days for us to respond.

sluggomagoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sluggomagoo
yatzr wrote:I got mine yesterday just before Winter Storm Q hit. I was honestly surprised how well this thing worked. The deepest I had to deal with was about 10 inches, but this handled it just fine. Sure, it was a little harder to push through 10 inches than through 4 inches, but I still had no problems.

I had seen some comments (can't remember if here or if on amazon) about problems with the extension cord coming unplugged from the blower. These people obviously didn't read the owner's manual. There's a hook on the handle that you jam your extension cord into specifically so that it doesn't come unplugged. I accidentally stepped on the extension cord a few times and it never came unplugged.

I usually tie a knot in the cord to keep it from unplugging. Works great.