WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

May the Posters Be With You

You've seen 'em before, and if you haven't, you've probably been living under a rock on Tatooine (Star Wars joke!). They're Star Wars posters, and you can cover your home in them. Or you can do something else with them. Whatever you want. The important part is that you Kenobi they're for sale!

Quality Posts

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin

As I recall, these were $70 when Woot sold these at Christmas.

Either way, the price really isn't that bad. These things are HUGE. I got one as a Christmas present. It comes framed and glassed. You'd probably spend $100 on JUST the frame and glass if you took the poster to some place custom framing place like Michael's.

Just to give a rough ideas of the size of these pictures, stick one of them directly atop the other, and they would just about neatly cover the standard American interior doorway. Yeah. They're big!

justafreak

quality posts: 11 Private Messages justafreak

They are huge...I bought all 10 of the ogirional movie posters and they look great. I've still not had time to hang them all in my bonus room over the garage yet, but they look good leanign against the wall for now.

.rev - 325.unique.woots / 567.total.items - woot is where the crap is.

choralmusic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages choralmusic
justafreak wrote:They are huge...I bought all 10 of the ogirional movie posters and they look great. I've still not had time to hang them all in my bonus room over the garage yet, but they look good leanign against the wall for now.

I'll third that. These posters are two things:
a) huge
b) high quality

I accidentally had one shipped to my office instead of to my home, and we nearly couldn't fit it in my car, a mid-size SUV.

If I had any more room in my home office, I'd get another in a heartbeat.

nmpls

quality posts: 22 Private Messages nmpls

Fitting to put these on today. A gift for those who didn't get any for valentine's day.
uhm, in for one.

fjp999

quality posts: 14 Private Messages fjp999
sdownin wrote:As I recall, these were $70 when Woot sold these at Christmas.

Either way, the price really isn't that bad. These things are HUGE. I got one as a Christmas present. It comes framed and glassed. You'd probably spend $100 on JUST the frame and glass if you took the poster to some place custom framing place like Michael's.

Just to give a rough ideas of the size of these pictures, stick one of them directly atop the other, and they would just about neatly cover the standard American interior doorway. Yeah. They're big!

Thanks for the description. Didnt know these were framed in glass!

The size described is standard movie theatre poster size.

I have a ton of these movie posters after working as a manager (in the mid 80s).

Was wondering if I can buy one of these and rotate my collection thru one frame?

Are the frames+glass really locked in or are there screws/something to undo and replace with other movie poster?

Thanks for any info!

Adelas

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Adelas

Framed?! I came to complain about the price (which is still outside my budget, but still), and discovered these are framed. That is not included in the item title - and with a price like that, I wouldn't have clicked the description to get the details. That is to say, it APPEARS that the item title includes all the relevant info and a click-through is unnecessary. The frames need to be mentioned in the blurb on the main sale site or in the item titles.

chartles

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chartles

I got my brother one of these for Christmas - he was jaw-droppingly suprised! very nice quality, well packaged for shipping. and yes, very big!

wisenekt

quality posts: 29 Private Messages wisenekt

If you are thinking about it, do it. These posters and the frame job is amazing.

vladistov

quality posts: 50 Private Messages vladistov

No Fantasia posters?

soontobepcv1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soontobepcv1
choralmusic wrote:I'll third that. These posters are two things:
a) huge
b) high quality

I accidentally had one shipped to my office instead of to my home, and we nearly couldn't fit it in my car, a mid-size SUV.

If I had any more room in my home office, I'd get another in a heartbeat.

I'm a little unclear about how they can be 27x40 and "huge" at the same time?

Muaar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Muaar

Too expensive to the point I felt the need to make this post.

cmatthewb102

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmatthewb102

Has anybody else had issues buying these? Last time they were on sale at Christmas, and now, everytime I buy one, it goes though and I recieve the confirmation number. The money is debited from my account.... then a little bit later it's refunded. With no reasoning at all. And of course customer support is closed on weekends. If I miss this again, with no explanation from Woot, I won't be coming back. Inever had an issue buying stuff from here before though...

charcustom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages charcustom

If you really lived "in your mom's basement," you're probably not going to blow $72 on a framed poster...

aaronf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aaronf
cmatthewb102 wrote:Has anybody else had issues buying these? Last time they were on sale at Christmas, and now, everytime I buy one, it goes though and I recieve the confirmation number. The money is debited from my account.... then a little bit later it's refunded. With no reasoning at all. And of course customer support is closed on weekends. If I miss this again, with no explanation from Woot, I won't be coming back. Inever had an issue buying stuff from here before though...

Sounds like they did not want to ship to you? Are you in a hard to reach location?

cmatthewb102

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmatthewb102
aaronf wrote:Sounds like they did not want to ship to you? Are you in a hard to reach location?

Not that I know of. Columbus Ohio isn't really in the boonies... Well just east of Columbus. Right off a main road. Not like I'm way off a road. So I dunno. But damn is it frustrating.

choralmusic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages choralmusic
fjp999 wrote:Thanks for the description. Didnt know these were framed in glass!

The size described is standard movie theatre poster size.

I have a ton of these movie posters after working as a manager (in the mid 80s).

Was wondering if I can buy one of these and rotate my collection thru one frame?

Are the frames+glass really locked in or are there screws/something to undo and replace with other movie poster?

Thanks for any info!

I just checked the back of mine. They've basically staple-gunned a foam board to the back of the frame. You'd have to pull out each staple, or pry off the board. It would be pretty difficult for me to do, but I'm not exactly a handyman.

fjp999

choralmusic wrote:I just checked the back of mine. They've basically staple-gunned a foam board to the back of the frame. You'd have to pull out each staple, or pry off the board. It would be pretty difficult for me to do, but I'm not exactly a handyman.

Thank you so much for that choralmusic!

elangomatt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages elangomatt

Any chance of Woot ever offering this sort of a deal on other movie posters? Not that I don't like Star Wars but variety is always good.

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin
soontobepcv1 wrote:I'm a little unclear about how they can be 27x40 and "huge" at the same time?

27"x40" is huge for wall art. I had trouble finding enough open wall to actually hang the one I got.

-edit- I just took a tape measure to the one I have. The frame measures 29.5"x42.5".

vladistov

quality posts: 50 Private Messages vladistov
elangomatt wrote:Any chance of Woot ever offering this sort of a deal on other movie posters? Not that I don't like Star Wars but variety is always good.

acrizer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages acrizer

I used to work in a framing shop, myself. $72 is about what you could expect to pay to have a 27x40 poster framed in a "junk frame" with a commonly found half off coupon. A quality custom framing job would run you a few hundred, easily if you were doing it plain like these samples. Doing it "right" would run you a few hundred just for the high end glass and/or museum quality acrylic.

DIYers would note that you could buy the poster, buy a ready-made frame probably in the $50-ish ballpark after coupon (seriously, Michael's and Aaron Brothers run 40-50% off coupons all the time). Getting the poster properly flat (and protected from paper stretching) would need mounting. Having someone do that would run you $20-$30, anyway. Installation would easily run you $50+, I'd say much more (prices are by size, not by how hard it is to do)... so this is a good price for what you're getting, really. But what you're getting is pretty bottom rung.

Either way, don't hang this in direct sunlight, it'll fade out before you know it since "non-glare" does not mean UV protected - believe me, they'll tell you if it's UV protected because it costs more to make. And even non-glare still has a glare, it's just diffused instead of mirror-like. At this size, you'll want to test spots with your windows and light fixtures to make sure your most common viewing angles won't just be a frame filled with soft white.

AutobahnSHO

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AutobahnSHO

Acrizer, awesome info. Thanks for posting!

WootieTwoShoes

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WootieTwoShoes

Yeah, someone's really spending $72 on an Episode I poster.....

At least give the crappier movies a chance of selling and mark them down.

jaynj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaynj

It probably won't matter to most of you, but I need to point out that these are reproduction posters. The posters for the first three are the wrong size as back then posters were 27x41".

What you are getting here is a $20 repro poster with a $30 frame, so it is a bit overpriced. Do some shopping.

Real posters from these movies sell for a lot more. A revenge poster is currently up for auction and is sitting at $500 with a few hours to go.

fjp999

AutobahnSHO wrote:Acrizer, awesome info. Thanks for posting!

Agreed. Great info Acrizer! Wonder if you know how the movie house posters held up so well?

Were the boxes the posters were thumbtacked in, hanging in during all climates, 24/7 - were those heavy glass windows UV protected back in the 70s,80s, 90s?

The posters I have look mint and were most def from those windows.

Just curious if you have any ideas how they kept their condition so well. Thanks.

fjp999

jaynj wrote:...

Real posters from these movies sell for a lot more. A revenge poster is currently up for auction and is sitting at $500 with a few hours to go.

I guess the question is "Do these posters from these movies sell for a lot more?"

The "Star Wars" poster I have is for a second run as well as to advertise the "Coming Attraction of Revenge of the Jedi" which was later changed thus this poster would be worth a bit more but again finding someone to purchase it...

Then, it is a really great piece of history so???

jaynj

fjp999 wrote:Agreed. Great info Acrizer! Wonder if you know how the movie house posters held up so well?

Most real posters are only up a couple of weeks. Sun fading occurs over a long period of exposure, so it isn't an issue for most films. A movie like Star Wars, where it stayed in the theaters for over a year was a special case. The studios would send out replacement posters every few months and ask the theaters to rotate in the new ones. That style D that looks like a circus poster is a good example. Although it was for the 1977 release, it wasn't produced and distributed until early 1978.

After the theaters were done with them, these posters went back to the NSS warehouse where they sat in the dark until NSS liquidated in the 90s. Then they went into collectors' hands.

And, no, real posters are not perfect. They were mostly shipped folded and there are often tears at the folds as well as pinholes and other little things.

jaynj

fjp999 wrote:I guess the question is "Do these posters from these movies sell for a lot more?"

The "Star Wars" poster I have is for a second run as well as to advertise the "Coming Attraction of Revenge of the Jedi" which was later changed thus this poster would be worth a bit more but again finding someone to purchase it...

Then, it is a really great piece of history so???

That it is. There are auction sites that will consign a poster for a percentage. Try emovieposter.com, movieposterbid.com or movieposters.ha.com

Your poster is from the 1982 re-release and is probably a $50 poster. The valuable ones are the birthday cake, the THX trilogy release and the revenge of the Jedi ones.

I have a folded style D on my wall. Had it for years, and it has likely crept up to the $150-200 range.

smithfarmer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages smithfarmer
fjp999 wrote: Didnt know these were framed in glass!

They're not, they're framed in Plexiglass. Big difference.

fjp999

jaynj wrote:That it is. There are auction sites that will consign a poster for a percentage. Try emovieposter.com, movieposterbid.com or movieposters.ha.com

Your poster is from the 1982 re-release and is probably a $50 poster. The valuable ones are the birthday cake, the THX trilogy release and the revenge of the Jedi ones.

I have a folded style D on my wall. Had it for years, and it has likely crept up to the $150-200 range.

Again, thanks for all the great info here and elsewhere.

Of course, has all the folds and pinholes, creases, etc. But seems that most single screen theaters back then actually ran most flicks at least a month. Seems studios are putting out more and more flicks but then there are very few single screen theaters out there anymore, let alone a real film projected theater!

I also was in charge of the student run film program at my uni so have a lot of independent film posters and extras... but love that kind of stuff - if ever have a huge need to do a big dump for a "last world cruise" may have to look into getting rid of all the stuff I have collected from around the world...

p.s. Good point smithfarmer! and thanks for that!