LoadStar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages LoadStar
anstnsky wrote:This is our workhorse laptop at the office and two years ago I would have said this was s great deal.

A lot changes in two years. Ours have been dropping like flies over the past 8 months. Displays needing to be replaced are a major issue and if it's out of warranty that's an expensive problem. The hard drives have been having issues and dropping dead lately too. These have the old iPod style miniature hard drives that you can't find drive enclosures for at Fry's or Micro Center. There's no HDMI out. Big things and little things that add up. I'd go for something with contemporary technology, under warranty, and with better consumer features. And I am in the market for a new laptop.

A correction (from one who has a fleet of these to support): The spinning drive used in a T410 is a standard 2.5", 9.5MM height hard drive, typically a HGST TravelStar. It is not the 1.8" miniature hard drive used in a classic iPod. (The T410s, the slimmed down version of the T410, did use the 1.8" miniature drive.)

The hard drive is also easily replaceable, accessible via a single screw and removing a panel from the front left corner (as you are looking down at the top of the laptop). Lenovo actually has a very good service reference manual available: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/63y0535_01.pdf

gap007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gap007
mlatham70 wrote:locksmith or a decent thief.

yeah, that what I was afraid of...

zeta30

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zeta30
gap007 wrote:yeah, that what I was afraid of...

There's plenty of YouTube videos on how to pick locks. That's how I learned...

ibuystuffalot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ibuystuffalot

This is a good, solid laptop and the SSD makes it speedy. The display on this one is actually better than its predecessor, the T420 as the LED monitor in it is much brighter and better color saturation.

These were used at my employers business and we went though a TON of them (30k plus) and the issue rate was low. Keep the bios up to date along with the video drivers

Well done Woot!

LambertJohn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LambertJohn

Meh. Three year old laptop, so you're already three years into its lifecycle. If it's actually refurbished, and not some off-lease computer that's been mopped up with a rag. And if it comes with a one year warranty...at least, then it's probably going to be fine for you. I've owned Thinkpads before; they're good computers. Still, I think this one is $100 too much. And I'd lose the SSD and throw in a WD Black drive or something equivalent. Check eBay for T410's and see what they're selling for. Also, check Lenovo's outlet website.

trevornt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trevornt

I have one of these T410's, and as far as computing goes, it's pretty much a beast. Starts up fast, shuts down fast, doesn't complain about nearly anything. The HDD broke down about a year and a half into the life of the computer but Lenovo gladly shipped me a brand new one (then again, I also had a 4-year warranty), and it arrived in 2 days. (That was a standard hard drive...not an SSD.)

The graphics leave something to be desired, but I wasn't expecting amazing performance on that front anyway. Point being, it makes a good work machine.

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja
zyodei wrote:As a sidenote, for anyone who cares, the Thinkpad line have absolutely the best reputation for Linux friendliness; basically guaranteed 100% working out of the box (volume buttons don't work on mine, only hiccup). From putting a USB in the drive to have a fully installed and productive linux system < 30 easy minutes on ANY laptop in the traditional ThinkPad line (ie, T/W/X). Thinkpads kick ass!

TL;DR: ThinkPads and Linux are a match made in heaven.

That depends on the distribution.
I have run into a few different versions which absolutely would not work on a few different thinkpads I tried them on.

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja
gap007 wrote:Hey, I bought one of these a while ago, works fine. But, the docking station has a lock without the key, now that placed the computer in the docking stationing I can't remove it! Any ideas on how I can remove?

Drill out the lock.

epp_b

quality posts: 1 Private Messages epp_b

Uh ... hey, Woot guys? That quote there, the very first one at the top of this thread and on Woot's homepage? That wasn't me.

isnus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages isnus
epp_b wrote:Uh ... hey, Woot guys? That quote there, the very first one at the top of this thread and on Woot's homepage? That wasn't me.

That quote belonged to mfeferman who posted directly above you. I think it was simply an error in displaying the feed and not malicious.

If you click on your "quote" at the top, it brings you to your quote about the buggered keyboard.

bsutter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bsutter

Hi,

Can someone please clarify or confirm...

Is the combination headphone and mic jack an either/or proposition? That is, can either pipe sound to your headphones or get sound from an external mic, but not both at the same time?

Or is it a 3.5mm 4-conductor TRRS jack, like what the iStuff and many smartphones use, so it will work with a headset?

The barely discernible icon in the right side image on the Woot listing seems to indicate it's the latter, but I can't find a definitive answer from my searching, including lenovo.com.

Thank you.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

epp_b wrote:Uh ... hey, Woot guys? That quote there, the very first one at the top of this thread and on Woot's homepage? That wasn't me.

That was my booboo. All fixed. Thanks for pointing it out.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gap007 wrote:Hey, I bought one of these a while ago, works fine. But, the docking station has a lock without the key, now that placed the computer in the docking stationing I can't remove it! Any ideas on how I can remove?

A lock? You did push the release button to the left near the power button on the dock?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ckaminsk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ckaminsk
Acarolinensis wrote:Note that it has a Express Card/32 external expansion slot. Here's where you can add USB 3

I also use a ExpressCard 2-port USB3.0 at work in my T410 to transfer files onto 2TB ext.HDD at 6 Gbps SATAIII rates.

otis77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages otis77

Got mine yesterday. Opened it today. Sent it back today. Screen was bad. Sent email to address in box and got RMA back in 10 min. Other than the screen it looked new. I hate getting rid of my old t41 but this look like a good replacement.

ku4u1u

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ku4u1u
otis77 wrote:Got mine yesterday. Opened it today. Sent it back today. Screen was bad. Sent email to address in box and got RMA back in 10 min. Other than the screen it looked new. I hate getting rid of my old t41 but this look like a good replacement.

I got mine today, busted. This is one of the worst refurb jobs I've ever seen.

Emailed the address in the box, waiting on reply. Bummed, this was going to be for my parents.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

ku4u1u wrote:I got mine today, busted. This is one of the worst refurb jobs I've ever seen.

Emailed the address in the box, waiting on reply. Bummed, this was going to be for my parents.

Sorry to hear you guys are receiving defective units. We recommend that you contact Lenovo Customer Support to see if they can help find a solution.

If they're unable to help you, please feel free to email Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they'll be more than glad to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

thornacious

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thornacious

Tried to start mine up today, it popped up a "Fan Error." Tried calling the number on the sheet included, reached a message saying my call did not go through.

Have sent an email to the address, am waiting on reply.

The thing where my call to their support line "did not go through" has me more than a little worried, though.