WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Philips Televisions and Accessories

If you keep hearing about those mysterious "television shows" that your friends are talking about and have no idea what's going on, it's probably because you don't have one of these: a TV. So get one. In fact, you could probably just get one for every room of your home. Yeah, why don't you do that. Buy a lot of TVs! Yay!

traquy

quality posts: 51 Private Messages traquy

Philips is the brand that doesn't have Amazon streaming correct? I would be very interested in the 26" with Net TV but I do want Amazon.

pndragon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pndragon

Forget the TV...where can I get that console?

billchase2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages billchase2

The reviews on amazon are pretty good for the 40" LED:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-40PFL4707-40-Inch-LED-Lit-Black/dp/B007G94EIC/

Does anyone here have any personal experience with one?

capguncowboy

quality posts: 15 Private Messages capguncowboy
billchase2 wrote:The reviews on amazon are pretty good for the 40" LED:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-40PFL4707-40-Inch-LED-Lit-Black/dp/B007G94EIC/

Does anyone here have any personal experience with one?

I have had this TV for about a year or so. To be honest, I've only used the apps a handful of times because I have a PS3 and it's just more user friendly.

The TV looks good, but there is a lot of light bleeding from the edges (not too uncommon among side lit LEDs though). Overall, I've been happy with the TV. It's reliable and between me and my kids, it's on for about 10 hours a day on average. It's never given me a bit of trouble.

The sound on this TV is sub-par, so I'd consider an alternative -- A soundbar or a surround system should be good. The only output it has for audio is Coaxial (digital). I bought a sound bar recently and finding one that offered digital coaxial was a requirement. I ended up getting a Vizio form Sam's and it's been great.

I think I paid about $500 for mine in January of last year so this price is fair to say the least. If I was in need of another TV, I'd pull the trigger on this one.

vicemagnet

quality posts: 5 Private Messages vicemagnet

I got a Philips DVD player back when they were new. It was slow but I thought I loved it. Then as new discs came out, it would not play them. Philips refused to issue a firmware update to fix the mess. Imagine being an early adopter and paying for a POS DVD player. Never, never, never will I ever purchase a Philips product knowingly or ever support that horrible organization.

bsdcat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsdcat

Is the 40PFL3705D/F7 720p or 1080p?

Price suggests 720p. Description says "720p display." Specs say "1920 x 1080".

[MOD: It is 1080p.]

hardcle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hardcle

Just got my 32" from when they were last on 2/9. Obviously, I haven't had it long, but I can say setup was easy and quick and the picture looks great. Only downside was there were no screws included for the base, so I had to rummage through my junk drawer to find some that would fit.

catgrrl

quality posts: 8 Private Messages catgrrl

Wow, I'm super tempted on the 32" ones, but I'm wary of Woot refurb TVs now. I bought one of the RCA refurbs a few weeks ago. It was completely whacked out, and the supposed manufacturer whose phone number was on the documentation wouldn't have anything to do with it. Had to send it to Woot for a refund (which yes, Woot handled promptly). It was just a huge hassle and a disappointment.

skakwani

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skakwani

I'm considering either the LCD or LED 40" TV. Does anyone have any advice regarding the differences between the two? Thanks.

moodeyes113

quality posts: 1 Private Messages moodeyes113

I just bought the Philips 32PFL4907/F7 32" 720p LED HDTV with NetTV & MediaConnect. It arrived yesterday and set-up was pretty easy. I'm happy with the sound & picture quality. Downside to Media Connect is that it is not Linux-friendly, although I'm sure if I wanted to deal with Wine, it would be fine. Another downside is that they don't provide a full manual with the tv; just a really useless quickstart guide. So, if you have any questions, you'll have to turn to Google.
Overall, I'm happy with it, but this is also my first tv in ages.

Dilcue

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Dilcue

I would never buy a refurb Philips again.

Bought a 32" LED off of Woot last year and unboxed it to discovered it scraped on the front bezel. Over a few months, it developed power issues and refused to turn on.

This power issue has been identified as a frequent problem with many Philips TVs containing cold-cathode backlights (i.e. not LED backlit).

me54350

quality posts: 0 Private Messages me54350

Why can't woot get any bigger TVs? Has anyone seen woot post a TV larger than 50"? I'm on the market for an upgrade and looking for a TV no smaller then 50"...

me54350

quality posts: 0 Private Messages me54350
pndragon wrote:Forget the TV...where can I get that console?

I'll second that comment! That's a nice looking console

kmontrose

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kmontrose

I'm interested in the motorized wall mount. Anyone have any information on that? We have a small bedroom that this would be perfect for but it seems like too good to be true.

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

The most important accessory when buying a Refurb Philips TV from woot is a fire extinguisher. Nothing but pure trash, buy them only with money you planned to toss out the car window anyhow. And make sure your home owners/renters insurance is up to date if you dont keep the fire extinguisher handy. And by all means turn the TV off if you leave the room, in case it starts smoking when you aren't there.

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17
skakwani wrote:I'm considering either the LCD or LED 40" TV. Does anyone have any advice regarding the differences between the two? Thanks.

Actually the LED refers to the backlight only in these TVs.Excluding projectors and OLED TVs(OLED being insanely expensive at the moment),there are just two kinds,Plasma and LCD.Ordinary LCDs use a florescent bulb behind the screen,just as your computer monitor probably does.So called "LED"Tvs use white LEDs for illumination.Either in one or more rows at the edge of the screen,or as a full field of LEDs.One advantage of the non edge lit screens is the contrast can be increased through"local dimming",dimming the LEDs in darker areas of a scene.That way you get the blacker blacks.It would really help with letterboxed content too.They are of course more expensive.
LEDs may use less power too,if that's important to you.
Hope that helps!Cheers!

skakwani

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skakwani

Thanks for the info Dave, I went with the LCD.

dave17 wrote:Actually the LED refers to the backlight only in these TVs.Excluding projectors and OLED TVs(OLED being insanely expensive at the moment),there are just two kinds,Plasma and LCD.Ordinary LCDs use a florescent bulb behind the screen,just as your computer monitor probably does.So called "LED"Tvs use white LEDs for illumination.Either in one or more rows at the edge of the screen,or as a full field of LEDs.One advantage of the non edge lit screens is the contrast can be increased through"local dimming",dimming the LEDs in darker areas of a scene.That way you get the blacker blacks.It would really help with letterboxed content too.They are of course more expensive.
LEDs may use less power too,if that's important to you.
Hope that helps!Cheers!

Paleogirl2003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Paleogirl2003

Looks like the 32" Phillips ones are on Amazon (prime eligible, used like new from Amazon Warehouse Deals) as follows

32PFL4507/F7 for $277.50

32PFL4907/F7 - net TV - for $236.63

salockwood

quality posts: 4 Private Messages salockwood

No kidding. Just paid too much for one for my gear! AND I paid too much for the mount too. Should have gotten that remote movable one here for 80 bucks....only 20 more than I paid and I could sit in my chair forever...ahh....memories of the series friends.

This space for rent.

tekrhino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tekrhino
bsdcat wrote:Is the 40PFL3705D/F7 720p or 1080p?

I was wondering the same thing!
So which one is it,, 720 or 1080?

[MOD: It is 1080p.]

Information is the drug of today's society.

k4th3r1n3

quality posts: 17 Private Messages k4th3r1n3

I was eyeing the flat tv wall mount, and while trying to find reviews came across this site selling it for 29.99 with free shipping. I am disappoint!

I'm crossing my fingers hoping for a flat wall mount to pop up in the woot-off that's worth my while.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bsdcat wrote:Is the 40PFL3705D/F7 720p or 1080p?

It is indeed 1080p. We've fixed the sale page to reflect this.

Thanks for pointing this out!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

luvmyk9va

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luvmyk9va

I wouldn't worry to much about refurb.
I've purchased 3 refurbs from WOOT and a friend purchased 1. All about 2 years ago and all going strong. They were Panasonics but we couldn't be happier. If you're worried go with the SquareTrade warranty - we haven't needed it but purchased on pc's and the customer service is great.

mx023

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mx023

gah i was really hoping they found a warehouse full of some more ambx systems they don't make anymore bout that thing like 5 years ago maybe more and it still works great! want more!

spacelunatic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages spacelunatic

I seem to be the 4th poster who came here looking for that console.. Anybody recognize it and know where it can be found?

Thunderthighs?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

spacelunatic wrote:I seem to be the 4th poster who came here looking for that console.. Anybody recognize it and know where it can be found?

Thunderthighs?

Looks like vendor art to me but I'll ask.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

zgangof4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zgangof4
kmontrose wrote:I'm interested in the motorized wall mount. Anyone have any information on that? We have a small bedroom that this would be perfect for but it seems like too good to be true.

Go to Amazon and read the reviews there, you decide. I myself think this is a great deal and product.

Tsonomi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tsonomi
luvmyk9va wrote:I wouldn't worry to much about refurb.
I've purchased 3 refurbs from WOOT and a friend purchased 1. All about 2 years ago and all going strong. They were Panasonics but we couldn't be happier. If you're worried go with the SquareTrade warranty - we haven't needed it but purchased on pc's and the customer service is great.

=====

Whoa, wait a minute. I bought a woot refurb TV, a HAIER. I'll say this, it had a fantastic picture with great colors, almost like you were there. The LCD screen shorted out JUST BEFORE the time the WOOT warrentee ended. It was a refurb. Generally, I have had good luck with the refurbs, 90% of the time, they have been good as new. When a product is refurbed, they go through EVERYTHING, or are supposed to. The end result should be better than new. The repair facility laughed and said my 3 month old TV was junk. Sorry, their words. The manufacturer would not touch it and because the time it died was so close to the end of the warrentee end, Woot refused.
This brand is just OK. the REFURB label puts up the caution flag because I don't know where WOOT gets them. IF YOU BUY ONE, GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTEE. GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTEE.

hhh222

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hhh222

Target is clearing out the 26PFL4907 for $199. A few people have found it at their target for 89.95

acowfrog

quality posts: 5 Private Messages acowfrog

Waddams Threatens Fire is a "High Speed HDMI Cord"? It's simple. Either you have a digital signal or you don't. "High speed" isn't a factor....

Jon651

quality posts: 20 Private Messages Jon651

Greetings,

I have a confession to make - this is my first Woot refurb purchase that I am disappointed in. I ordered the Philips 40" LCD 120Hz and the packing was dismal at best. Lots of broken styrofoam inside the box (not from rough handling, just dumped into the box at random), the bezel had some damage in the upper corner and scratches/rub marks all around. There was no power cord or even batteries for the remote. I've never seen such a poor grade refurb and if I could have seen it in person I don't think I would have purchased it.

On the plus side, everything works perfectly and the screen is crystal clear with no scratches. Only one stuck pixel along the top. Unfortunately, my disappointment is balanced with my desire to keep the TV, which is for our spare room and is not our primary set.

Yes, it was a good deal - and that is the ONLY thing that is making me hesitate sending it back.

willray

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willray

This purchase (Woot Order #43722288) of the Phillips 32PFL4907/F7 has been an unmitigated disaster. Thus far I have received three televisions from Phillips at two week intervals and the HDMI ports (all 3) have been non-functional on all of them.

I have spent uncounted hours on the phone with numerous support personnel about each unit after it arrived with no results. Finally, they started lying to me about the cause of the problem, claiming that the set was receiving the wrong type of signal (1080p) from my new cable box and blue-ray player. They told me several times by several tech support persons that the set was limited to only 720/1080i signals and therefore could not use these sources through the HDMI ports. I know this is a lie because their own manual states that this set can process all sources including 1080p.

I did not expect a cosmetically perfect set, with all the accessory items, but I did expect it to be functional. I am extremely disappointed in Phillips and in Woot for failing to supply usable equipment and adequate support.

nickieflambures

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nickieflambures

Bought my refurbished 32" Phillips on 2/20/13 during the woot-off. It QUIT!! last night. Can't get it to power ON, using remote or the TV's power switch. Unplugging and re-plugging didn't work either. On live chat right now with Phillips. Its still under the 90-day warranty. Wish me luck.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

nickieflambures wrote:Bought my refurbished 32" Phillips on 2/20/13 during the woot-off. It QUIT!! last night. Can't get it to power ON, using remote or the TV's power switch. Unplugging and re-plugging didn't work either. On live chat right now with Phillips. Its still under the 90-day warranty. Wish me luck.

that stinks. i'm sorry.

if you need any help or run into difficulty having the warranty honored, please email Support@Woot.com.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

travolta19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages travolta19

My 40" didn't come with a power cord, lol, small oversight I guess. Hopefully the Woot gods will send me one!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

travolta19 wrote:My 40" didn't come with a power cord, lol, small oversight I guess. Hopefully the Woot gods will send me one!

Have you already written in? I recommend that you email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they'll be more than happy to help remedy the situation.