WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Books. Books! BOOKS!

Right now, you're thinking about our books. Don't deny it, we caught you. Hey, it's nothing to be ashamed about. We all peek at books every now and then. Go ahead, stare. Then pick up some of these much-loved classics and classics-to-be and sate your wild book-loving desire. We won't tell. It'll be our secret.

Stobor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stobor

Housed in a pedestal display complete with lights...

Geek Level 1000

For when you don't actually care what other people think about you.

embhorn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages embhorn

Whats the battery life? Will it work with my Mac?

bluejester

quality posts: 558 Private Messages bluejester

Is that Buffy book regular or the extra-sarcastic edition complete with all the snarky comments that even Whedon thought were too much?

Fountain3586

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Fountain3586
embhorn wrote:Whats the battery life? Will it work with my Mac?

If you get the digital version over at Amazon! It only costs $2.99. Or you can borrow it on your kindle for free. I still love you woot.

Favorite Woots: The First Years miSwivel Feeding Chair, Kiddy Sport’n Move Stroller, Sacs of Life Insulator 4 Reusable Shopping Bags, Daiwa Golf Bag, Energizer Light on Demand Twin Light Center, Ooma Telo ViIP Home Phone System, and a Stainless Steel Designer 6 Ounce Flask.

smegknight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smegknight

I know what 'Books. Books! BOOKS!' Is referencing. Frankly, I'm pretty creeped out, woot. Thanks for the flashback.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
Fountain3586 wrote:If you get the digital version over at Amazon! It only costs $2.99. Or you can borrow it on your kindle for free. I still love you woot.

yah...outraged at the price of these books. I would definitely get the $2.99 version. Now I would have to get a $200 kindle.

astroliner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages astroliner

"You know, the classics. Like Jane Austen, Star Wars, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

WHOA, Woot. Pretty sure that's a Star Trek book. You're now on thin ice in the nerd community. :P

blackIria

quality posts: 5 Private Messages blackIria

Woot! .. putting the Prosper in the "Live Long and Prosper"

bmw66x

quality posts: 48 Private Messages bmw66x
Fountain3586 wrote:If you get the digital version over at Amazon! It only costs $2.99. Or you can borrow it on your kindle for free. I still love you woot.

Out of curiosity, I searched the Kindle store for the Sherlock Holmes collection. It was there. Same price. A savings of $47. Although, for a book fan, the hard-copy prices are tough to beat.

I'm Bryan. Nice to meet you, Wooter.

zenchaos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zenchaos
lwang wrote:yah...outraged at the price of these books. I would definitely get the $2.99 version. Now I would have to get a $200 kindle.

If you have a computer or tablet, you can dowload the free Kindle app and save your "$200."

testudoaubreii

quality posts: 13 Private Messages testudoaubreii

It isn't fair to compare the prices of digital copies to hard copies. Of course the digital is going to be cheaper than the physical - that's the nature of the beast, and it's to be expected. Of course you can get free digital copies of books that are in the public domain, like anything by Jane Austen, from Project Gutenberg and the like, but that shouldn't (and probably wouldn't) stop a person who wanted a physical copy to hold and keep and share regardless of the proximity to a wall outlet.

The point is that just because a digital copy is cheaper doesn't make a nice printed copy only worth it if it's priced the same as said digital copy. I don't buy a hardcopy of a book because I'm clueless as to its digital version's lower pricepoint, but rather because I want to hold the book in my hands and look at actual paper pages. I want the book experience, not just the information. It's the whole movie in the theater with popcorn and candy, not just the edited for tv version that gets paused on the DVR so you can go pee and call your sister to see how her day's gone.

So, don't get outraged or whatever because they're asking more than five bucks for a nicely-bound physical copy of a book or two. A lot more work goes into the making of a book than its digital counterpart, and that's why it's more expensive (not to mention how much more portable a book is, since it's not electronic and DRM-based). Seriously, you're outraged at this? The mind boggles.

morninglark

quality posts: 22 Private Messages morninglark

Sorry, You are comparing apples and oranges. When you buy a physical book you own the book (but not the content) and you can do whatever you want with that book. When you "buy" an ebook you are purchasing the rights to read that content on a limited number of devices. You cannot resell the book and whether or not you can loan it to another depends on the publisher. Bottom line, if you want free reads, get a library card and return the books on time. BTW, at many libraries you can borrow digital books. :-)

leehammer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leehammer
morninglark wrote:Sorry, You are comparing apples and oranges. When you buy a physical book you own the book (but not the content) and you can do whatever you want with that book. When you "buy" an ebook you are purchasing the rights to read that content on a limited number of devices. You cannot resell the book and whether or not you can loan it to another depends on the publisher. Bottom line, if you want free reads, get a library card and return the books on time. BTW, at many libraries you can borrow digital books. :-)

It's one thing to argue between "I prefer to hold a physical book" and "I like to read a Kindle," but you seem to be suggesting that buying the $50 book is a better investment than leasing the $3 ebook: by paying the extra $47 you get added flexibility of how you can dispose of that book. But, since you can only resell the book once, unless you can resell it for $47 or more, I would have to say that the $3 ebook is a better deal.

kmontrose

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kmontrose

And don't forget about the decor impact of physical books! What else can you put in your house that says so much about you. When I visit someone's house for the first time, if there are any books on display, I check out the titles. Not only does it say something about the person, it gives us food for conversation.

Of course, I'm sure the e-promoters are thinking what it says about them is that they're out of touch...

seahokedrama

quality posts: 30 Private Messages seahokedrama

A lot of these are free from gutenburg press- and that would NOT be limited to a small number of devices- but any you choose.

shadykay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shadykay

Wow..Jane Austin? How about Jane Austen.

emblaze2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emblaze2

Ummm...many people actually read a book more than once. If you actually only read Treasure Island, The Wind in the Willows, Alice in Wonderland, etc. only once, you are missing out on a joyful experience. Am I buying these? No, because a) I love the original illustrations, although these are nice & b) I own all of the books in the classic sets anyway.
If you only want a one time, two dimensional book to read, by all means, get the e-book, otherwise, enjoy an actual full experience with the smell of paper and ink, color illustrations, flipping pages and returning to it when you want to visit a treasured friend.

magnoliasouth

quality posts: 4 Private Messages magnoliasouth

My husband loves books.
My husband loves Star Trek.

He will die and go to heaven when he gets the Star Trek book.

He's a geek, but he's my geek.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean that they hate you, or anyone else.

elveez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elveez

What is a book?

---
elveez is alive

seahokedrama

quality posts: 30 Private Messages seahokedrama
elveez wrote:What is a book?

It's a bookkeeper's pet.

sailsagain

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sailsagain
elveez wrote:What is a book?

It's the thing I pretend to look at while the plane is in the "all electronic devices must be switched off" stage. I'm not really reading it, I'm trying to decide which of the 148 books (largely cheap or free ebooks) I have currently loaded on my Kindle I will be in the mood to read on the flight.
Hard copies generally don't work for me. I'd never be able to leave the house for trying to decide which books I should put in my purse read next.

thenightisdark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thenightisdark
sailsagain wrote:It's the thing I pretend to look at while the plane is in the "all electronic devices must be switched off" stage.

Do not rely on that stage for existing too much longer.

Everyone already ignores it, and once we realize that since every one ignores it, we realize that planes have been test cases for how electronics does not mess up aviation electronics.

That said, Paper books > Ebooks. And I have an ebook reader that I like. I just wish paper books transported well.

ReginaFilangee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ReginaFilangee
lwang wrote:yah...outraged at the price of these books. I would definitely get the $2.99 version. Now I would have to get a $200 kindle.

No you don't.
Download the free Kindle app to your tablet, laptop, or desktop computer. If you put it on all of them, they'll sync automatically. Then you can buy (and often get FREE) Kindle books whenever you want. :-)

That said, I'm firmly in the camp of preferring physical books over ebooks. I have a couple thousand. Still, I quickly amassed over 300 good ebooks for free. If my tablet is with me when I'm out in the world and find myself stuck wasting time somewhere, I can read whatever tickles my whimsy at the moment, not just whichever book I happened to take along with me.

I really do want that Federation book!!!!

May the Crap be with you all!!!

ReginaFilangee

testudoaubreii wrote: I don't buy a hardcopy of a book because I'm clueless as to its digital version's lower pricepoint, but rather because I want to hold the book in my hands and look at actual paper pages. I want the book experience, not just the information.

Plus, you left out the wonderful and unique AROMA of a brand-new paper/bound book. Not much better than that! :-)
(It doesn't take much to make me happy, lol.)

diamondj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages diamondj

There's a couple of key bits of info missing here that may keep bibliophiles from buying:

1. Printed on acid free paper?

2. Are archival quality inks used for printing?

Any idea woot staff? Usually this info is printed at in the back of the book along with information on the font used....

thenightisdark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thenightisdark

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AW5D17M

Sinner: A Prequel to the Mongoliad (The Foreworld Saga) [Kindle Edition]
Mark Teppo (Author)

For free. It is the "free book" with the book one mongoliad.

diamondj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages diamondj
leehammer wrote:It's one thing to argue between "I prefer to hold a physical book" and "I like to read a Kindle," but you seem to be suggesting that buying the $50 book is a better investment than leasing the $3 ebook: by paying the extra $47 you get added flexibility of how you can dispose of that book. But, since you can only resell the book once, unless you can resell it for $47 or more, I would have to say that the $3 ebook is a better deal.

Sometimes a book is more than a book - research Easton Press or the Folio Society to learn more about books raised up to almost an art. Many of the editions published by Easton or Folio regularly sell for more than the issue price. Plus there's a lot of cottage industry publishers that print limited editions of books that are not available as an e-book and sell for stupid amounts of money a few years down the road. I have many hard copy books signed by the author that are priceless to me - is this level of personalization even possible with an e-book?

willowtr33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willowtr33

I do want the Buffy book, too bad you cannot ship it outside the US

cf

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cf

Hunh. There are a bunch of prequels for the Mongoliad that are available for free to Prime members.

thenightisdark wrote:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AW5D17M

Sinner: A Prequel to the Mongoliad (The Foreworld Saga) [Kindle Edition]
Mark Teppo (Author)

For free. It is the "free book" with the book one mongoliad.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

"Audio introduction by Admiral Hikaru Sulu."

Is it the Sulu? Or Harold searching for a White Castle?

Oh my.

epsy06

quality posts: 3 Private Messages epsy06
bmw66x wrote:Out of curiosity, I searched the Kindle store for the Sherlock Holmes collection. It was there. Same price. A savings of $47. Although, for a book fan, the hard-copy prices are tough to beat.

To be fair, some of these books are public domain, and for sure Sherlock Holmes is. Many books that are in the "public domain" category are free for ebook download at www.gutenberg.org.

Craig234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Craig234

I refused to buy the Star Trek (they STILL haven't fixed that in the blurb) book for a long time but now I'm gonna get it, but after shipping resets to get more of a full day benefit.

cappo

quality posts: 33 Private Messages cappo
astroliner wrote:"You know, the classics. Like Jane Austen, Star Wars, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

WHOA, Woot. Pretty sure that's a Star Trek book. You're now on thin ice in the nerd community. :P

I just filed the papers for everyone at Woot! who has a Geek or Nerd card to have them revoked.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Craig234 wrote:I refused to buy the Star Trek (they STILL haven't fixed that in the blurb) book for a long time but now I'm gonna get it, but after shipping resets to get more of a full day benefit.

it has been fixed. hopefully you'll all be able to forgive us this unspeakable atrocity.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov

Is the Sherlock Holmes set printed in American or British English?

stevef2222

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stevef2222
leehammer wrote:It's one thing to argue between "I prefer to hold a physical book" and "I like to read a Kindle," but you seem to be suggesting that buying the $50 book is a better investment than leasing the $3 ebook: by paying the extra $47 you get added flexibility of how you can dispose of that book. But, since you can only resell the book once, unless you can resell it for $47 or more, I would have to say that the $3 ebook is a better deal.

a phyiscal book MAY appreciate in value as time goes by...a digital copy never will

ReginaFilangee

PemberDucky wrote:it has been fixed. hopefully you'll all be able to forgive us this unspeakable atrocity.

I think we should leave your method of punishment up to the Romulans.

fishshapedethylbenzene

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fishshapedethylbenzene

These $45 collections are all books in the public domain. I understand the draw of reading a book on paper rather than an electronic device, but I just can't stomach a company printing free literature, adding a illustration or two, and charging just as much as if they had a living author to pay. That original $90 price tag is practically theft.

leehammer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leehammer
stevef2222 wrote:a phyiscal book MAY appreciate in value as time goes by...a digital copy never will

I think it's pretty safe to say that these physical books are not going to appreciate in value. If you want to buy these books because you like to hold a book while you read it (nothing wrong with that), or because you like to decorate your house with books (nothing wrong with that either), that's great. But don't try to convince anyone that buying these books is a good financial investment.