WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Razer Gaming Accessories

There was a time that I was excited about my new Razer gaming accessories, but now that I have them in my hands, I must admit I'm terrified. When I used to lose, I had plenty of excuses. Sticky keys, frayed mouse cord, missing the "a" button, etc. Now I'm out of excuses. When I lose, it'll be all on me. Me and only me.

Quality Posts

Craig234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Craig234

Years ago I'd see Razer selling things, always hyping the item stats - in particulars, record breaking numbers for how many clicks the mouse could process per second.

Then a review pointed out that this was wasted, because people can only click so fast, and the numbers were way above that limit, so you wouldn't actually benefit.

I wrote them an email pointing out that it was misleading to hype a 'benefit' that wasn't one but 'sounded good', and someone claiming to be the president of Razer wrote back, to my surprise. He basically just defended the advertising, though.

So, I've avoided their products with a bit of bad taste for the marketing. But I've also seen reviews that some of their products have been great anyway.

Haven't really kept up with which (not all are it seems). I think there was a mouse that began with 'M' that got great reviews that isn't in this sale.

So, anyone who knows their products and wants to point out which are great could be helpful. Some seem like niche products for certain gaming use.

socat82

quality posts: 1 Private Messages socat82
Craig234 wrote:Years ago I'd see Razer selling things, always hyping the item stats - in particulars, record breaking numbers for how many clicks the mouse could process per second.

Then a review pointed out that this was wasted, because people can only click so fast, and the numbers were way above that limit, so you wouldn't actually benefit.

I wrote them an email pointing out that it was misleading to hype a 'benefit' that wasn't one but 'sounded good', and someone claiming to be the president of Razer wrote back, to my surprise. He basically just defended the advertising, though.

So, I've avoided their products with a bit of bad taste for the marketing. But I've also seen reviews that some of their products have been great anyway.

Haven't really kept up with which (not all are it seems). I think there was a mouse that began with 'M' that got great reviews that isn't in this sale.

So, anyone who knows their products and wants to point out which are great could be helpful. Some seem like niche products for certain gaming use.

I have used a Razer Mamba for about 3 years now as my primary mouse, which was purchased as new, but has been great. Purchased two refurbished Carcharias headsets from Woot for me and my wife about 2 years ago which are still excellent and comfy during extended use. I also purchased a Nostromo refurb from Woot which is also excellent, but doesnt get as much use. So take any negative reviews with a grain of salt, because there are people like me that enjoy Razer products, and have had no issues with them.

jacobthestupendous

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jacobthestupendous

Would the Nostromo work as just another keyboard input with customizable keys or does it really only work for games? I'm an accountant, and I use Microsoft Excel heavily. Using Excel, I often have my hands out of classic typing position, since the ten key is much faster and easier, but that means I have to stop and hunt for keys like Tab, F2, "," and ":" (I input a lot of times). I am interested in the Nostromo for it's potential to improve my workflow.
Plus I think it will make all my coworkers jealous.

specialbuddy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages specialbuddy

Finally got a Deathadder. My Mamba died a while ago and I bought a Sensei. I like the Sensei and plan on using it as my main mouse and using this for work or backup.

shifuimam

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shifuimam
jacobthestupendous wrote:Would the Nostromo work as just another keyboard input with customizable keys or does it really only work for games? I'm an accountant, and I use Microsoft Excel heavily. Using Excel, I often have my hands out of classic typing position, since the ten key is much faster and easier, but that means I have to stop and hunt for keys like Tab, F2, "," and ":" (I input a lot of times). I am interested in the Nostromo for it's potential to improve my workflow.

The Nostromo can do whatever you want it to do - it's not just for games. You can make application-specific profiles, so the keys do different things depending on what you're running.

You can also make macros with the included software, although they're pretty limited. I'd recommend using AutoHotKey for more advanced stuff.

avesharia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avesharia
Craig234 wrote:Haven't really kept up with which (not all are it seems). I think there was a mouse that began with 'M' that got great reviews that isn't in this sale.

I think the negative reviews are from people who expect, understandably, Razer to be much better than the competition because of their cost. In reality, Razer is very competitive in terms of build quality and performance, arguably the best, but whether the additional cost merits the benefits is questionable.

For example, I use a wired/wireless Mamba at home, and it's by far the best wireless mouse, in terms of tracking and response, that I've ever used. The materials they used feel nice, but in the end it suffers similar driver bloat and hardware problems as other mice. On mine, a small plastic piece of shielding fell of and has been lost for a year.

At work, I use a Deathadder Black, and it drives me nuts. The scrollwheel is straight-up terrible; it registers about every third spin in the incorrect direction. As a consequence, reading a website literally gives me a headache because I get lost so often. I know I'm not the only one with the problem, based on online reviews. Yet I found myself orderring a Deathadder 2013, because I can't find another mouse I like in a similar form factor at that price point.

phidauex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phidauex
jacobthestupendous wrote:Would the Nostromo work as just another keyboard input with customizable keys or does it really only work for games? I'm an accountant, and I use Microsoft Excel heavily. Using Excel, I often have my hands out of classic typing position, since the ten key is much faster and easier, but that means I have to stop and hunt for keys like Tab, F2, "," and ":" (I input a lot of times). I am interested in the Nostromo for it's potential to improve my workflow.

I use a Nostromo for AutoCAD macros - it works great. The interface is definitely "gaming themed" in the sense that it will be the most eXtreme software on your computer, but the macro recording ability is extremely flexible, and you would have no trouble recording custom macros for Excel.

icecream4zombies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages icecream4zombies

I pair the Naga with the Nostromo Gaming Keypad for Warcraft, and I don't think I could ever go back to the old 5-button mouse and keyboard for raiding. The husband used the Nostromo pad for League of Legends for a while and eventually went back to using a keyboard. It definitely takes a few good days of use to get used to the Nostromo, and you won't know whether you'll like it unless you give it some time. If it does grove for you though, its a great buy!

tryggerone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tryggerone

I bought the Lycosa over a year ago. I love the LED backlighting on the keys (looks great in a dark room when gaming), and it's an otherwise great keyboard with a passthrough USB port on it and a place to plug in headphones and a microphone (the plug has two usb cords, one for the keyboard and one for the USB port, as well as audio in/out cables). The one issue I've had with it is that occasionally one key (completely at random intervals and completely random key) will "lock up" and not register when pressed. This only started after the warranty expired so I got no support from the company, but it's merely a nuisance as unplugging the cable and plugging it back in generally resets it. Otherwise I have to restart the computer to get it working again.

heismypossum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heismypossum

What kind of switches does the Black Widow have? Are they Brown or Blue? I want a mechanical keyboard without the clicky noise, which the brown offers but the blue does not. Razer makes the Black Widow with both of these switches, but I can't find anything about it in the specs.

benkuro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benkuro
heismypossum wrote:What kind of switches does the Black Widow have? Are they Brown or Blue? I want a mechanical keyboard without the clicky noise, which the brown offers but the blue does not. Razer makes the Black Widow with both of these switches, but I can't find anything about it in the specs.

The Razer Black Widow Stealth Edition (that's a mouthful) is exclusive for Razer's online store, so the ones here on Woot are the Cherry MX Blue switches (which is what I absolutely love about my Razer Black Widow)

hurt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hurt

I ordered the Black Widow a couple days back. I really wanted a mechanical backlit keyboard and this was perfect. But like most things with Razer Refub, it's a hit or miss. You can get a really bad packaged product or a really, really good one that will last. Usually, in my case it's been good. But the refurbish one I got was a complete miss. When I opened the mailing package, half the keyboard was sticking out. When I plugged it in, half the keys came sticky and the packaging was sloppy, it looked like someone just shoved the keyboard into the Razor branded box. and folded over the cords. It was really disappointing. Good thing Woot was able to take returns.

The Tim

quality posts: 31 Private Messages The Tim

Gah! I have been trying to jump on the DeathAdder for months but I always get here after they're sold out! Curses!

jdevenberg

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jdevenberg

Want...Onza TE...So...Badly....

Wife...Will...Kill..if...I...buy...more...Xbox...stuff

I...Must...Resist...

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

jdevenberg wrote:Want...Onza TE...So...Badly....

Wife...Will...Kill..if...I...buy...more...Xbox...stuff

I...Must...Resist...

fight it!!! FIGHT!!!

onafriday

quality posts: 2 Private Messages onafriday

I purchased one of these Razer Naga Epic mice last time Woot! offered them. I am sorely disappointed. The mouse is not usable in wired mode - the mouse connects and disconnects continuously. Wireless is the only option, but even it disconnects at random. I have initiated support with Razer and am stuck waiting for them to get "approval" to help me. I do not recommend this Razer Naga Epic.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

onafriday wrote:I purchased one of these Razer Naga Epic mice last time Woot! offered them. I am sorely disappointed. The mouse is not usable in wired mode - the mouse connects and disconnects continuously. Wireless is the only option, but even it disconnects at random. I have initiated support with Razer and am stuck waiting for them to get "approval" to help me. I do not recommend this Razer Naga Epic.

Sorry to hear, if you're still encountering issues with Razer please feel free to contact Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they'll be glad to assist you in finding a resolve.

stylo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stylo

Bought a Lycosa the last time it was on woot. Having purchased Razer mice for years, I'd hoped the keyboard would be a good replacement for my ancient g15 that had died several months earlier (I was using a store bought Microsoft keyboard with some annoying function key spacing since then).

I was not pleased. I work from home as a programmer, and the actions on the Lycosa's keys are way too stiff. Many times, in fact, I can hear the sound of plastic against plastic as the key comes back up, like it almost got "caught". Needless to say, after a week of this, being unable to type fast without my finger tips hurting, I switched back to the Microsoft Keyboard.

Also, I found the touch-sensitive media keys on the top right of the keyboard to be a pit of a pain, as many times when using the break or print screen keys (which I do) my fingers would inadvertently touch a media key and advance a song, etc.

oldbluebox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oldbluebox

I have the Nostromo and the Starcraft headset. I absolutely love them The headset is comfortable and the Nostromo comes in handy for everything.

Ylandra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ylandra

I have a BlackWidow. It's okay. It's glitchy, even without hitting the "on the fly" macro recording. There are certain words that will simulate hitting "F11" several times in a row. I've checked for secret macros running and haven't found any. (I did have a problem with an "on the fly" macro getting recorded not long after I bought the keyboard. It didn't get tripped too often, but when it did, my computer seemed to be obsessed with wool comforters and balance ball chairs. It would tell everyone in the world about them.

Now though, I have disabled the on the fly macro keys. I have yet to get the buggy words fixed. I have upgraded the firmware and drivers, cleaned all the fuzz out from under the keys, and still I have problems occasionally.

That said, I do like the keyboard.

thesaleboat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thesaleboat
Craig234 wrote:Years ago I'd see Razer selling things, always hyping the item stats - in particulars, record breaking numbers for how many clicks the mouse could process per second.

You can program the mouse buttons now on most gaming mice. You can change holding down the left mouse key to mean double-click the mouse as fast as it will send signals to the computer. No more callouses from speed clicking

snow4864

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snow4864

I currently have the Lycosa Keyboard, orginal Naga mouse, and Nostromo. I really like them all, and absolutely love the mouse.
I'm debating on using this woot sale to upgrade to the Anasi or black widow keyboard, and the wireless naga mouse, and passing the old stuff onto my spare parts back up PC.
The item I’m really curious about though is the Onza game pad. Has anyone used this for PC? I know the site says its compatible, but I've tried using a xbox 360 controller on PC before, and they are supposed to work, but mine doesn’t work well at all. I wonder if Razer got it right, or I would have the same issues.

iamchris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iamchris

Razer products are over-hyped and pretty-looking pieces of garbage.

I have the Lycosa keyboard, and it routinely stops working during gameplay. Some keys just stop working, and require unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in. This is a common issue with the keyboard, apparently.

Never again will I buy Razer.

feighner

quality posts: 3 Private Messages feighner

Curios how well the Onza would work as a PC gamepad?

snow4864

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snow4864
feighner wrote:Curios how well the Onza would work as a PC gamepad?

This is my main interest as well, but I cant find any PC specific reviews or comments

zephon13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zephon13
stylo wrote:Bought a Lycosa the last time it was on woot. Having purchased Razer mice for years, I'd hoped the keyboard would be a good replacement for my ancient g15 that had died several months earlier (I was using a store bought Microsoft keyboard with some annoying function key spacing since then).

I was not pleased. I work from home as a programmer, and the actions on the Lycosa's keys are way too stiff. Many times, in fact, I can hear the sound of plastic against plastic as the key comes back up, like it almost got "caught". Needless to say, after a week of this, being unable to type fast without my finger tips hurting, I switched back to the Microsoft Keyboard.

Also, I found the touch-sensitive media keys on the top right of the keyboard to be a pit of a pain, as many times when using the break or print screen keys (which I do) my fingers would inadvertently touch a media key and advance a song, etc.

Yea the Lycosa is a piece of crap. If you're going to spend a decent amount of money on a keyboard, go for the BlackWidow Ultimate on here. $80 is a GREAT price for this thing. I got mine for 130 about 2 years ago. I still use it and it feels just as good as the first day I got it. I'm typing on the non-backlit BlackWidow at work right now too lol. Those MX Blues just feel so nice.

zephon13

iamchris wrote:Razer products are over-hyped and pretty-looking pieces of garbage.

I have the Lycosa keyboard, and it routinely stops working during gameplay. Some keys just stop working, and require unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in. This is a common issue with the keyboard, apparently.

Never again will I buy Razer.

Well, yea. that's what happens when you cheap out and get the crappy keyboard. The Lycosa is a piece of garbage. I don't know why you'd go for that when it's barely under the non-backlit BlackWidow. My Lycosa was worn out and unusable after about a year and a half. That and it stopped responding on my PC all the time. BlackWidows have been going strong, one for a year, the other for 2. My Lachesis 5600 mouse has been good for 2 1/2.

I don't know how all you people say Razer sucks when all you buy is their crappy $30-40 mice and keyboards. Hell even my $45 ExactMat mousepad is still great. I got that early in 2008. People thought I was crazy spending that much on a mousepad. I wonder how many of their crappy pads they've been through in that time.

kevito

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevito
feighner wrote:Curios how well the Onza would work as a PC gamepad?

It works the same as a wired 360 controller, just plug and play and it'll be detected no problem by modern games that accept controllers.

But the Onza itself is a piece of garbage, absolutely horrible build quality, the one I got when they first went on sale lasted about a month before the left analog completely died.

Most customer reviews on amazon seem to give them about the same lifespan.

zephon13

stylo wrote:Bought a Lycosa the last time it was on woot. Having purchased Razer mice for years, I'd hoped the keyboard would be a good replacement for my ancient g15 that had died several months earlier (I was using a store bought Microsoft keyboard with some annoying function key spacing since then).

If you're programming, you should have gone mechanical. Typing for long periods on rubber dome switches just sucks.

ivsciguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ivsciguy

I have one of these keyboards and they are great. The mechanical keys feel fantastic. I type a little faster with them. I would highly recommend it.

ivsciguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ivsciguy
Ylandra wrote:I have a BlackWidow. It's okay. It's glitchy, even without hitting the "on the fly" macro recording. There are certain words that will simulate hitting "F11" several times in a row. I've checked for secret macros running and haven't found any. (I did have a problem with an "on the fly" macro getting recorded not long after I bought the keyboard. It didn't get tripped too often, but when it did, my computer seemed to be obsessed with wool comforters and balance ball chairs. It would tell everyone in the world about them.

Now though, I have disabled the on the fly macro keys. I have yet to get the buggy words fixed. I have upgraded the firmware and drivers, cleaned all the fuzz out from under the keys, and still I have problems occasionally.

That said, I do like the keyboard.

Weird, I have a black widow and have never encountered that issue. I haven't ever used the macros.

takagg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages takagg

Hi guys,

Is there any chance to get any of this shipped to South America? (specifically Buenos Aires, Argentina)

Thansk!

Gnomercy

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Gnomercy

I was a Razer devotee for many years. Most of the Razer stuff I bought early on was great. I have the Baracuda headset and AC-1 sound card, several Salmosas, Deathadders, and a Mamba. It seems that quality decreased as hype increased. =/

That said, I bought a new Naga from BB and it failed on day 27 of the 30 day warranty. I returned it and ordered a Logitech G700 which has worked perfectly since.

Wish I knew what brand keyboard to replace my G15 with. I tried the G19 and it was not for me. It required a power cord and the software was pure fail - it refused to discover my other Logitech gear.

Any one got any suggestions for another brand gaming keyboard? I do like macro keys and backlighting.

yufool

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yufool

There are macro buttons in certain Razers (Nostromo too I believe), as well as Logitech. I highly recommend Logitech, since they don't need drivers, they're highly highly ergonomic.

On the Logitech gaming keyboards you can turn off the light making it more professional for the workplace. The macro buttons are the left side of the keyboard, making them separate from your usual F1, F2, F3 items. Instead they would be M1, M2, M3 for "macro."

On whether Razer is a good brand or not, I believe it is, and you would be completely satisfied for the price.

Gamers: For a sturdier mouse and I am prone to raging often and hard I recommend the Mionix NAOS 5000 (comes with weights). It fits a larger hand and really is a category killer for ergonomics. Any other mouse would have smashed into 10 minecraft-looking pieces by now.

clrobertson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages clrobertson

Just a word of warning: The Black Widow Ultimate Edition offered here is the 2011/12 edition, not the current 2013 edition.

I mention this only because the one offered here has notorious build issues (as can be seen in this comment thread on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3QFH7YWRYW3C0/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B003ZJ5B4I&nodeID=541966&store=pc#wasThisHelpful)

I have the 2013 Ultimate Black Widow (which I actually bought after the last refurb deal on here led me to plunk down the extra $75 for the new, 2013 version), and absolutely love it.

My wife hates it, as my gaming rig is in our bedroom, and makes it impossible for her to sleep (even "silent" mechanical keyboards are ridiculously loud). I just tell her to imagine she's in a 20's newsroom and that I'm a sexy reporter. Didn't work. Other than my love life taking a dump, this keyboard has been wonders for my gaming life (Borderlands 2 and Guild Wars 2 are a dream with this bad boy).

overlordror

quality posts: 0 Private Messages overlordror

Hey Jacob,

You can absolutely reprogram the keys to do whatever you like. I know a friend of mine who uses it exclusively as a Photoshop pad because the keys are easier to hit there rather than doing shortcuts on a full keyboard.

I've reprogrammed all the keys myself for certain games where WASD movement is not necessary and I just needed a quick way to have a bunch of macros available to me.

twiswall

quality posts: 4 Private Messages twiswall

The Lycosa Gaming Keyboard is by far NOT my favorite keyboard. I find the keys are difficult to press from time to time even as I type this review. Also the keys are nearly impossible to see without the back light on. Generally its a bad design. Oh and there is no variable on the light source...its all or none which makes using the keyboard in a dark room difficult and distracting its so bright. So to summarize...no backlight and impossible to use...using the backlight is often distracting and annoying.

Bandrik

quality posts: 71 Private Messages Bandrik

I have practically half of the stuff here, all from Woot. Here's my thoughts on each.

Naga Epic (wireless): use it daily, love the comfort. I haven't even started using profiles and the side buttons yet. I also like the custom light colors. Wireless works well, but I wish the battery held a charge longer. Also, some wireless synching issues.

Naga (wired): Same as above, sans the battery and synching issues. If wireless isn't a big deal, get this instead.

BlackWidow Ultimate keyboard: love it. It's got a satisfying click to each keystroke. Yeah, it's louder than average (rubber-dome) keyboards, but I like it. Also, durable, and backlit.

Onza 360 controller: Less of a fan of this. Saw it at E3, got it finally to try it out. The D-pad is better than standard 360 controllers, but not by much. Don't like the L and R triggers. Joysticks are a bit strange until you get the resistance rings set to your preference. Start and Back buttons are in a VERY awkward place (bottom of controller instead of middle). The good? Well the A B X Y buttons feel good and clicky.

Nostromo keypad: I kind of like mine (Mine is the Belkin version, it's pretty much identical), but haven't really started using it. Isn't the most comfortable for my medium-small hands.

DeathAdder: It's sold out now. But it's a very comfortable mouse and works great. Get it next time?

Lycosa keyboard: I don't actually have this, but I hear universal scorn of this. Avoid it.

zorrex

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zorrex

Avoid this Lycosa. Avoid this Lycosa. AVOID THIS LYCOSA.

These refurbs are GARBAGE. This batch of Lycosas have poorly designed keys that can't even be depressed properly, don't always respond, and the media keys stop working after a few weeks of use.

You'd be better off getting the SteelSeries Shift keyboard woot sometimes has. I purchased the SteelSeries, and I really like it. I really only have one gripe with it in that if you type too fast, sometimes the signal to the computer gets buggy and it jumbles/mistypes letters, but I've found that it only happens with certain letter combinations, and usually only when I'm running a game full-window, which must slow down its response time (e.g., while playing Left 4 Dead, often times if I try to type "nice" in chat it comes out as "niie" because it makes the c into an i - it's really PC LOAD LETTERing weird and there are only a few combos like this that do that, but it doesn't happen often)