WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Saris, Graber & Schwinn Cycle Accessories

We can't all be talented cyclists, but we CAN all buy a bunch of fancy accessories and lay them around the house so that when our cycling friends come over, we look and feel important. And really, that's all that matters, right?

Quality Posts

mattdyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattdyer

Saris Bike Rack is $150 at Nashbar + shipping.

Reviews are up and down, basically it looks like this is an old model, and has a lot of sway. The 2" hitch adapter is plastic, and apparently is not great.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_262025_-1___202593

Also the second picture is obviously a different rack.

bahudspeth

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bahudspeth

Any reviews of the trainers? Are they worth the price? Are they good?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mattdyer wrote:Saris Bike Rack is $150 at Nashbar + shipping.
Also the second picture is obviously a different rack.

Yes it does. I'll send that in for fixing. Thanks for pointing it out.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

jarvelated

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jarvelated
bahudspeth wrote:Any reviews of the trainers? Are they worth the price? Are they good?

I own the graber 1030 mag trainer. At low speeds it is fine, I recommend getting a mat to put it on to muffle the vibrations. At higher speeds/stronger resistance, you start making a lot of noise and vibrations.

Overall it is a good quality if you want it for casual cycling in the winter months to just stay in shape. The flywheel does a good job of mimicking road resistance, If you are looking to use it for some serious training for bike races and the like, you might want something better. Otherwise I am happy with it.

fjp999

quality posts: 16 Private Messages fjp999

What's the one thing every newbie should know about cycling?
Gatzby

When I got my first bicycle in a big city I was told to "get use to your brakes" and study how to use them in city traffic!

The strangest thing I learned is that your front brake is your most important brake. Used lightly first then with your rear brake along with your body can get you stopping on a dime!

Another thing I learned is to watch for the front wheels of parked vehicles. This is the best notice that they are on the move. Dont ever expect a motorist to notice you, they only look for other motorist.

One of the most difficult problems is being doored. That is why most laws allow for cyclist a certain space on the road, A SAFE SPACE, that is up to conditions on the road... usually 3 feet away from a parked car giving you safe space from a door! Take and use your safe space!

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
fjp999 wrote:What's the one thing every newbie should know about cycling?
Gatzby

When I got my first bicycle in a big city I was told to "get use to your brakes" and study how to use them in city traffic!

The strangest thing I learned is that your front brake is your most important brake. Used lightly first then with your rear brake along with your body can get you stopping on a dime!

Another thing I learned is to watch for the front wheels of parked vehicles. This is the best notice that they are on the move. Dont ever expect a motorist to notice you, they only look for other motorist.

One of the most difficult problems is being doored. That is why most laws allow for cyclist a certain space on the road, A SAFE SPACE, that is up to conditions on the road... usually 3 feet away from a parked car giving you safe space from a door! Take and use your safe space!

I've heard watching the side views can keep you safe from dooring, but didn't know that about front brakes. Any reason?

Curious, do you ride with headphones in? That's one reason I'm hesitant to switch, since I enjoy music while walking, but am terrified of dying on a bike.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

fjp999

quality posts: 16 Private Messages fjp999
Gatzby wrote:I've heard watching the side views can keep you safe from dooring, but didn't know that about front brakes. Any reason?

Curious, do you ride with headphones in? That's one reason I'm hesitant to switch, since I enjoy music while walking, but am terrified of dying on a bike.

Sorry, a bit confused???

Front brakes are for cycling! Best brake for stopping quickest but must learn how to use with care!!!

Watching the front TIRE/WHEEL of a parked car to see if it is turning and suddenly lurching (might be what you mis-read (not front break on a car).

Just keeping a safe distance is the best way and the rule of road safety concerning dooring (but of course attempting to watch the side of cars/doors - it is difficult!).

On headphones... I use to ride with one plug in, then found a kind of "hard plastic round the ear headphone" so the plug could be very near the ear but not in. Now I have an iPod Touch which has a decent speaker and carry in my shirt pocket... btw, not living in a busy city anymore.

In a previous Woot-Off, maybe two years ago, got a wireless speaker for a bicycle. Pretty good sound.

tbh, if you are riding in a big city you are going to have an accident... best you learn to use your brakes, learn how to fall & roll, use a helmet, wear gloves, etc.

Also, most big cities have Bicycle Coalitions which offer bicycle safety courses, usually free... also free maps, etc.

After getting on a bike I couldnt stand the slow pace of walking or waiting for a bus.
frank

Gripe

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Gripe

Would kids 22 & 24 inches bike hold on these?

lafamilia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lafamilia

Which of these bike racks will fit a Honda CRV?

sseiler18

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sseiler18

For any 3 or 4-bike rack you're considering...these will likely fit UP TO that number of bikes, depending on the sizes and types of bikes and how well you can fit them together like puzzle pieces on the rack. I have yet to try 4 on my 4-bike Yakima rack. Three adult hybrids barely fit. Definitely do your research before buying.

sseiler18

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sseiler18
lafamilia wrote:Which of these bike racks will fit a Honda CRV?

If you have a trailer hitch installed, go with one of those. Much easier to take on and off, provided you are handy with tools (wrench, maybe pliers).

If not, you can check compatibility here: http://www.saris.com/en/vehicle-racks.html

scratchspider

quality posts: 5 Private Messages scratchspider
Gatzby wrote:I've heard watching the side views can keep you safe from dooring, but didn't know that about front brakes. Any reason?

Your front brakes work better for the same reason that your car has bigger front brakes than rear brakes. When stopping, the bike's (and your) inertia causes weight to shift to the front, increasing traction on the front wheel and decreasing it on the rear wheel. Obviously you don't want to slam them since a front wheel skid is very dangerous, an an endo on bikes with big tires is even worse, but you can safely ride without a back brake. It's just always better to have both for the extra power and in case one fails.

As for headphones I wouldn't. I sometimes ride with them on in town when traffic is light or at night, since I generally ride slightly slower or at the same speed as regular traffic. Never do it on country roads as you need to be alert all the time. Cars drive faster, and you need to be aware when to pull to the side and when someone in a sports car or motorcycle driving balls-out is approaching. Even I give in to that temptation on occasion ;)

scratchspider

Also, I'm kinda confused. The Graber racks are apparently the Guardian (3 bike) and some other model, see http://graberbikerack.com/. Porter is a Saris model, but here they have it listed under Graber. Mistake maybe?

fridayrs

quality posts: 7 Private Messages fridayrs

If this is the same Schwinn bike rack it has 1 star reviews on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-3-Bike-Hitch-MountRack/dp/B000AAYC7W/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Hmmmmm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hmmmmm

The thing about front brakes...

They work much better but will cause you to go over the top of the handlebars if you stop too quickly. Practice using them so you can control that.

Practice using the front brakes and shifting your weight back over the rear wheel . This will help keep the the weight even. The rear brake are good for slowing bad not so great a quick stops.

danielandthelions

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danielandthelions
scratchspider wrote:Also, I'm kinda confused. The Graber racks are apparently the Guardian (3 bike) and some other model, see http://graberbikerack.com/. Porter is a Saris model, but here they have it listed under Graber. Mistake maybe?

I am also confused by this. The photos definitely look like the Graber Guardian, but the video on the page is from Saris.

jonas8890

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonas8890

Are there any meaningful differences between the 1030 and 1041 trainers? What does the extra $10 for the 1041 get you?

lnjelinek

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lnjelinek
jonas8890 wrote:Are there any meaningful differences between the 1030 and 1041 trainers? What does the extra $10 for the 1041 get you?

don't have either one (i have a kinetic by kurt), but from looking at it and reading the "specs," i think the 1041 looks a bit more stable (if you like to get out of the saddle on those intervals).

my opinion: might as well spend the extra $10. why? because the product is MADE IN THE USA. So if you have trouble with it, the company is probably easy to get in contact with and willing to work with you.

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid

So tempted to grab one of the trainers. Biking is the only exercise I do and I get really fat in the winter. Just kidding. I'm really fat all the time.

Suck it, Trebek.

jigzy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jigzy

Does anyone know what size bikes the Graber 1041 Mid Mag Trainer takes? I can't find it anywhere online and all I am finding is people complaining their bike didnt fit the trainer!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

scratchspider wrote:Also, I'm kinda confused. The Graber racks are apparently the Guardian (3 bike) and some other model, see http://graberbikerack.com/. Porter is a Saris model, but here they have it listed under Graber. Mistake maybe?

From the buyer:

Graber is manufactured by Saris, so they are essentially the same product with different brand labels.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

scratchspider

ThunderThighs wrote:From the buyer:

Graber is manufactured by Saris, so they are essentially the same product with different brand labels.

Right on, thanks. In for 1.

wasell

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wasell
scratchspider wrote:Right on, thanks. In for 1.

Saris Cycling Group also makes CycleOps, which is why I'm in for 1.

rhycochet

quality posts: 16 Private Messages rhycochet

you know, i did not see that bike rack on the back of the car at first and i came in here shocked that no one commented on how powerful that woman might be.

realizing that there was a bike rack proved to be severely disappointing

whiterice72

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whiterice72

The 3 bike trunk rack in the video is not the same as the one in the pictures. The cradles and straps in the video are better. Which one will I get if I buy this?

Edit: The manual linked in the specs section also shows the better cradles/straps. Guess we'll take our chances and go for it...