WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

$45 Men's Red Line Compressor Watches

I love silicone. As far as materials go, I'd say it's one of the most underrated ones we've got. Not only does it make a great wristband for watches, but it's also a lovely, versatile word. Let's show silicone some love -- buy some watches!
Red Line official site

Therevolution

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Therevolution

Amazon shows these watches ranging from $50 to around $80, and they all seem to have positive reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dwatches&field-keywords=redline%20mens%20watch%20compressor

I'm very tempted to grab one of these unless someone can convince me otherwise.

hehthuryo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages hehthuryo

These are very nice quality watches for the price. They are definitely big and bold so if you like average size watches, these aren't for you. I bought 2 last year and was very impressed with them. Love the silicone bands--very comfortable. They don't restrict your wrist like leather or metal wristbands do. Highly recommend.

StanleyS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS

I just bought one of these FROM ANOTHER WEBSITE and paid $10 more :-(
These are certainly worth Woot's price.

shmooki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shmooki

I want to get one of these, but I don't know how long the straps are, or if they're interchangeable or not. I have big wrists, so I don't know if "men's standard" will work for me or not.

StanleyS

shmooki wrote:I want to get one of these, but I don't know how long the straps are, or if they're interchangeable or not.

I measured my band: it is about 8.75" from the first hole to the clasp.
You should be able to replace the band with another 22mm wide one.

acswild

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acswild

I bought the Black/Yellow Compressor from a different site a few months back.

Love the watch, while the face is larger than a small watch it is a good happy medium between small and obnoxiously large faces.

My one gripe is the silicon strap. It's comfortable, however the ridges on the band tend to collect dead skin on the inside of the band. The ridges are a pain to clean between.

StanleyS

acswild wrote:My one gripe is the silicon strap. It's comfortable, however the ridges on the band tend to collect dead skin on the inside of the band. The ridges are a pain to clean between.

I thought that stuff was silicone dandruff. You could always wash the watch under running water. Let us know if it is *really* water resistant.

mmastor0218

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmastor0218

Great watches; I bought one about a year ago now.

The silicon strap is great and much more comfortable than leather, in my opinion.

One complaint: I managed to break one of the silicon securing sleeves which hold the strap against the contour of your wrist after normal, extended use. I haven't contacted RedLine about this, yet.

angryman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages angryman

Same group that makes Swiss Legend:

http://theswigroup.com/

Checking on movement- nice looking watches in any case.

Woody

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Woody

In for one. And I may get another one. For this price why not. I'm kind of a watch wh*re.

kakomu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kakomu
angryman wrote:Same group that makes Swiss Legend:

http://theswigroup.com/

Checking on movement- nice looking watches in any case.

According to world of watches, the compressor has the following movement: Japanese made quartz, MIYOTA 2315

criticalmaas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages criticalmaas

Amazon reviews mention that these don't glow in the dark so no telling time when the sun goes down/power goes out (drama!!) - is this correct?

Thank you!

crada0066

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crada0066
criticalmaas wrote:Amazon reviews mention that these don't glow in the dark so no telling time when the sun goes down/power goes out (drama!!) - is this correct?

Thank you!

That's actually a giant plus for me. I find that glow-in-the-dark stuff to be rather ugly.

StanleyS

criticalmaas wrote:Amazon reviews mention that these don't glow in the dark so no telling time when the sun goes down/power goes out (drama!!) - is this correct?

The hour and minute hands glow in the dark.

criticalmaas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages criticalmaas
StanleyS wrote:The hour and minute hands glow in the dark.

Cheers!

siddartha999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages siddartha999

HOWDY!
Does anyone have information on the crown/stem and whether it is Screw-Down [good] or some combination of Gasket-Seal [BAD. Avoid.] to secure between day/date adjust?
Nothing but positive results with Swiss Legends that I've owned, given, have. Red Line looks strong & similar size w/ JPmvmnt, mineral crystal +++
Lemme know about crown / I'll look about, post back if its still WOOTing.

Thankx Ya'll

The flesh is a trap & Magic sets you free!

siddartha999

siddartha999 wrote:HOWDY!
Does anyone have information on the crown/stem and whether it is Screw-Down [good] or some combination of Gasket-Seal [BAD. Avoid.] to secure between time & day/date adjust?
Nothing but positive results with Swiss Legends that I've owned, given, have. Red Line looks strong & similar size w/ JPmvmnt, mineral crystal +++
Lemme know about crown / I'll look about, post back if its still WOOTing.

Thankx Ya'll

siddartha999

HOWDY! Ya'll - these Compressor Watches from Red Line all have "push/pull" and are one penny less than fifty dollars at WorldofWatches + they aren't kewl like WOOT! about 5$ ship SOOOOO if push/pull doesn't hang up your water resistance issues, these are Stylin' Casual / Fashion-y Watches from Swiss Legend maker [per another poster.] and excellent deal!
MY quest continues.
Zenjoy & HAPPY WOOTing!
s999

irockash

quality posts: 3 Private Messages irockash

Amazon is calling the Rose Gold "pink." But I kinda like it. Can anyone comment? Is it more red than pink?

fiftymegatims

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fiftymegatims

For anyone interested in who makes the watch. Redline is part of the Swiss Watch International Group.

http://theswigroup.com/the-group/

http://theswigroup.com/redline-3/

billcf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billcf

Movement image at https://www.google.com/search?q=MIYOTA+2315&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=foq&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=JNUkUd3yBonUqgGl-YGgCQ&ved=0CDwQsAQ&biw=800&bih=408

Bione

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Bione
fiftymegatims wrote:For anyone interested in who makes the watch. Redline is part of the Swiss Watch International Group.

http://theswigroup.com/the-group/

http://theswigroup.com/redline-3/

In other words, they take cheap movements, put them inside cheap cases, slap an unfathomably high price tag on them, and then "discount" them back to being merely overpriced for what they are.

Silicon straps are nothing new - I've had a Seiko with a silicon strap for over 20 years. They do split over time, particularly along the seams, but can be easily replaced, quite cheaply.

For those espousing the 'mineral crystal,' it's absolutely typical on watches in this price range, and is actually just a fancy word for glass. A sapphire crystal is completely different and considerably more scratch-resistant surface. For me, those are worth paying a premium for.

I'm not saying this price is unreasonable, if you like the look of the watch, but please don't think you're getting the bargain of the century.

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid
Bione wrote:In other words, they take cheap movements, put them inside cheap cases, slap an unfathomably high price tag on them, and then "discount" them back to being merely overpriced for what they are.

Silicon straps are nothing new - I've had a Seiko with a silicon strap for over 20 years. They do split over time, particularly along the seams, but can be easily replaced, quite cheaply.

For those espousing the 'mineral crystal,' it's absolutely typical on watches in this price range, and is actually just a fancy word for glass. A sapphire crystal is completely different and considerably more scratch-resistant surface. For me, those are worth paying a premium for.

I'm not saying this price is unreasonable, if you like the look of the watch, but please don't think you're getting the bargain of the century.

Thank you for the reviews. I'm really wanting a Bernhardt. Have you heard of them?

I've never purchased an expensive piece of jewelry or watches. Heck, my wedding ring was a 30 dollar piece of tungsten with Celtic knotwork. Unfortunately, for me, but fortunately for my wife, hers was a little more expensive. :D

Is there any 'budget' watch or deals you can recommend? We're frugal "cash only" people who don't use debit for purchases. I always keep shopping around but I never know what's a good buy and what is over-priced Invicta-like junk.

Suck it, Trebek.

mnuahs

quality posts: 13 Private Messages mnuahs
ghostofdavid wrote:Thank you for the reviews. I'm really wanting a Bernhardt. Have you heard of them?

I've never purchased an expensive piece of jewelry or watches. Heck, my wedding ring was a 30 dollar piece of tungsten with Celtic knotwork. Unfortunately, for me, but fortunately for my wife, hers was a little more expensive. :D

Is there any 'budget' watch or deals you can recommend? We're frugal "cash only" people who don't use debit for purchases. I always keep shopping around but I never know what's a good buy and what is over-priced Invicta-like junk.

Have a look at the watches Orient makes. They make some really good watches, in a fair number of different styles. They've got just about every price range covered, and make both automatic, and quartz watches. They use their own in-house movements as well. From cheap the Tri Star models, to the excellent, but sometimes absurdly expensive Star line.

dalem589

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dalem589

In for another one. I have a red strap model with red dots on the dial and a blacvk face. This time I am getting a red dial, with the world time hand (not from this site) I thought it would be nice to have something different. I have had my Red Line for a couple of years, and it has been trouble free, and not even needed a battery. Finish is holding up perfectly. I can swap bands easily to try out the red one I have, or even something like a NATO style.

davebva

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davebva

I just want one because they're 92% off! How much were those power bands again?

ohsnaparoomba

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ohsnaparoomba

$595 List Price?????????????? Are you kidding me?

Really?

They sell a box of these for less than that on Ebay. Seriously, shouldn't woot exercise a little more incredulity when it comes to regurgitating a list price? That's just... i mean... i mean these are low end consumer watches.... $400-$595? Puh-leeeez.

topquarkpc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages topquarkpc

agreed...well said...
i'm just tired from obligatory rotation through my auto movements... need something i can be worry free & wear w/ casual mindset... nice break from my JSAR too...
in for one... hm...which color to pick... hence the dilemma...

Bione wrote:In other words, they take cheap movements, put them inside cheap cases, slap an unfathomably high price tag on them, and then "discount" them back to being merely overpriced for what they are.

fiftymegatims

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fiftymegatims

If you go to the Red Line website and go to the online retailer linked to Red Line (world of watches.com) site in which to buy these watches you will find the watches selling for around 150.

If you then click on "List Price: what this?" you can read a disclaimer regarding suggested retail pricing.

http://www.worldofwatches.com/checkout/pop_listINC.asp

http://www.worldofwatches.com/detail.asp?bo_products_variance_id=132881

I was in, but now I am out. When the Red Line website links to an online retailer and they sell it for considerably less than suggested retail price I feel mislead.

StanleyS

fiftymegatims wrote:If you go to the Red Line website and go to the online retailer linked to Red Line (world of watches.com) site in which to buy these watches you will find the watches selling for around 150.

World of Watches seems to change the prices daily (cookies, anyone). I got one of these exact same watches from them for $55 a few weeks ago. Right now it is $70.

benebeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benebeth

This female bought the yellow gold with white band. It's perfect for tennis or golf.

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid
benebeth wrote:This female bought the yellow gold with white band. It's perfect for tennis or golf.

It will look great in my living room as I play Wii Sports.

Suck it, Trebek.

jeffcoonen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffcoonen

Just a heads up, in case anyone comes across this in the future --

My lovely watch arrived Saturday afternoon. Monday morning, less than two days later, the second hand fell off. The manufacturer refuses to do anything other than the standard warranty repair ($10 and 6-8 weeks). I imagine these watches usually don't fall apart, but that's some pretty horrendous customer service.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jeffcoonen wrote:Just a heads up, in case anyone comes across this in the future --

My lovely watch arrived Saturday afternoon. Monday morning, less than two days later, the second hand fell off. The manufacturer refuses to do anything other than the standard warranty repair ($10 and 6-8 weeks). I imagine these watches usually don't fall apart, but that's some pretty horrendous customer service.

Sorry for the problem. Please email support@woot.com. They may have some other options. Include your woot username and order number for faster service.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jeffcoonen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffcoonen
ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry for the problem. Please email support@woot.com. They may have some other options. Include your woot username and order number for faster service.

Yep, it's all under control, and Woot is being awesome as usual I'm just disappointed in the watch manufacturer here and wanted to share a warning.

warmice

quality posts: 6 Private Messages warmice
jeffcoonen wrote:Just a heads up, in case anyone comes across this in the future --

Look on the bright side you have your watch. I am still waiting for mine to ship.

If you can read thank a teacher.
If you can read in English thank a Marine.

solojoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages solojoe
warmice wrote:Look on the bright side you have your watch. I am still waiting for mine to ship.

Same here, ordered it last thursday and still awaiting shipping

solojoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages solojoe
solojoe wrote:Same here, ordered it last thursday and still awaiting shipping

Update:

Was shipped out yesterday, just got the confirmation today.